Yu-Gi-Oh! Armageddon (PG13) - Finished

I think it's still amazing how far that the story has progressed, and how enriched it still is, even after trudging through 58 chapters. That is a sure sign that you definitely have readers willing to support you every step of the way. Plus this is turning into a chatroom, much like Trio of DEF, so I like to pitch in every once in a while.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since nothing is happening at work (got to wait 2 hours for a wedding party to leave), I can see how we're doing. Hmm... hit and miss reaction. Still, could be worse.

[spoiler=Spoilerz]Wow, this was a really dramatic chapter and all, but... some things didn't quite make sense to me, neither from an in-story nor from a narrative perspective. I get that Luca and Tyrana kept passing the ball to each other for who would deliver the final blow, which was understandable, and even Tyrana's decision to go for it was very nicely done, but Luca getting angry at Blackfeather Dragon for it was... not realistic, to me. To begin with, Blackfeather Dragon was his dragon, so why should it be responsible for Tyrana's fate? If anything he should've gotten angry at Life Stream Dragon. Instead of getting angry at Demon, who set them up, he got angry at his dragon who really had little to do with the whole thing, as it was already established that their monsters had no real power in there. I don't know, the characters in Armageddon have generally been acting with a modicum of maturity, so this plain-out wrongly-directed anger, even under these circumstances, felt like an awkward plot device to basically say 'hey, Luca, your role is over, now take a step back and let the others get on with their plot lines'. Maybe that's just me reading too much into it, but though I kinda expected this resolution to the duel, with one having to sacrifice themselves because the other couldn't bring themselves to kill them (and kudos for choosing Tyrana, too), I did not expect what happened afterwards, and unlike most other surprises you've created, this one didn't sit down quite well. I feel it would be better if Tyrana's sacrifice empowered Luca's fighting spirit for the fight against Demon, and then he ended up contributing to the group's victory in some round-about way, rather than him abandoning the battle altogether. I know this will probably come around and Luca is probably not quite out of the picture yet, but that's certainly the impression left by this chapter.

Otherwise you maintained the high-quality writing of the previous chapter - your descriptions have gone up a notch from the past, and your narrative has improved as well, resulting in much more lively scenes and enticing detail that contributes a lot to the story. If it wasn't for Luca's over-the-edge reaction to Tyrana's death, I'd have been fully satisfied with this.

Hmm... obviously its bad storytelling if I'm having to explain things afterwards, but Luca is supposed to be mostly mad at the Crimson Dragon, (hence the line of "get your boss out here to bring her back" or something along those lines) and BFD was just the poor unfortunate who bought the brunt of his despair. He is angry at LSD and Demon too, and also pretty much every one and thing that has bought him and Tyrana to this unfortunate point. To him the Crimson Dragon is supposed to be this whole powerful great creature, its picked them to do its dirty work, and now its just seemingly abandoned them.

I am shocked, I never really expected you to kill one of them, but well written, and luca was probably too consumed with grief to really pay attention to what the others were saying, not to mention that it kinda was Black-Winged Dragon that dealt the last blow.

Shocking someone is good. :)

No Tyrana! You, my favorite character! Bring her back and rewrite this you a*shole!

Right... er, I'll be blunt. Its okay to hope for all the good guys to make it out in one piece, but you should never expect it, because they usually don't. Sometimes the good guys die, some times the bad guys get away. That's life.

I'm not rewriting this, and I'm certainly not going to be made to by your choice of language.

Tyrana's dead, eh?

That sure blew :T

Well, the chapter was well done and the raw emotion made the story all the better.

I kinda feel bad for Black-Winged Dragon though :/

I hope Luca comes around, it'd be sad if Tyrana's death sent him completely off the deep end.

Blew in a 'that story sucked' or 'sucks to be Luca or Tyrana' way? Not sure if that was genuine disappointment there; I can never tell with you Fusion. :D

People react to death in different ways.

I think it's still amazing how far that the story has progressed, and how enriched it still is, even after trudging through 58 chapters. That is a sure sign that you definitely have readers willing to support you every step of the way. Plus this is turning into a chatroom, much like Trio of DEF, so I like to pitch in every once in a while.

Having read through the early chapters, I'd like to think its got stronger as its gone along to. I'd like to think its more than trudging though, although it was originally only meant to be 50 chapters.

Just joking, know what you mean. Glad its still entertaining and don't worry, not long to go now.

^Wait, how'd you know that?

But he does indeed speak the truth.

I'd say this, DEF and Dead Zone are the big fics around here at the moment.

Say Matt, do you have any plans for writing something else after this is over, or are you taking a break for a bit?

Funny you should mention that, I have recently started putting together plans, characters and decks for a second fic. Stupid of me actually because its distracting me from finishing this one. D:<

For obvious reasons of 4th Gen YGO's development and my own personal life I won't be doing any actual writing until after christmas at the very very earliest, but there's some stuff in the pipeline that will hopefully make for a fic that is better than this one. (Especially one of the baddies I have pencilled in, his character is insane *tease*)

Anyway, back to work now. Then sleep. Chapter 59 will be up within the next 18 hours or so. Later

Important Notice: Tomorrow I will begin writing the FINAL chapter!

Everything between the below update and the penultimate one is pretty much finished except for the odd fine tune here and there, and the last two have needed a lot of fine tuning, been far the most difficult duels to write in this entire thing, but hopefully they'll be awesome. As for the events of the end, everything is pretty much mapped out, just a case of writing it all down this week before work gets very busy. And hopefully not making them TOO long; the last two chapters have been thirteen pages each on Word (not a bad conicidence, thinking about it).

So yeah, hopefully I'll have that written and ready for its expected release. Back in the here and now, chapter 59, and the next battle for the fate of the world starting about halfway through the chapter. But before the signers can get to that...

[spoiler=Chapter 59]

Chapter 59 - The Truth

With great caution the four remaining signers stepped out of the stone stairwell and onto the fifth floor of the castle. This stone passageway was the same as all the others; limited in decorum as it stretched the length of the northern wall buried into the mountain, punctuated by the odd door, illuminated only in red by candles. The group of Juruo, Sabin, Hikari and Yuma crept down the corridor, eyes darting up to the ceiling and down to the floor to check for more booby traps that may be waiting. The pace was slow as they approached the middle of the passageway, until they came across a set of double doors. They had been thrown and left wide open.

“This is the door that leads to Demon’s chamber, then the cave with the archway behind it. I know it” Juruo whispered. “If we had just skipped one floor...”

“Don’t. There was no way we could have known” Yuma replied reassuringly yet firmly. A sudden grit had entered her voice that he had not heard before.

The group walked through the doors and down a short passage leading to the large dome shaped room where Demon chose to reside. Nothing had changed since Juruo had last entered here. The computing systems were against one wall, the living furniture, bookshelf and cabinets against the other. He noticed the bedding was set. Either Demon was the type who took great care in tidiness - unlikely - or that bed had not been slept in for a few days. To his right, Sabin wandered over to one of the cabinets and, without any hesitation, opened it. The others watched slightly dumbfounded as he rooted around inside before pulling out, of all things, a towel (black of course). When he had finished drying his silver hair and pushed it back into place, he was quite surprised to turn and see them looking at him so curiously.

“What? I’m soaking” he said, pulling out and throwing the others some more towels before proceeding to dry himself off to a degree where he was more comfortable and not going to catch his death. The others mimicked him, although they were a lot less nonchalant as they feared being leapt on by Demon and his minions at any second. Why had they got this far and still, one trap aside, not been found? Now dry, each signer turned to face the back of the chamber. There was a small flight of stone steps leading up to an open archway, and beyond that...

Without a word, Juruo marched forward into the great cave, the others following close behind.

Again, the gigantic cave at the heart of the Glamis Mountains was unchanged since their last ill-fated visit. A large dome with a few stalactites hanging from the roof which had a natural volcano like hole in the top to allow light in the absence of those damned candles, and was empty apart from two things. One was the great ominous arch that dominated the scene at the back of the cavern, at least fifteen feet in height and wide, and the thick stone being covered in strange symbols which glowed faintly on and off. The other feature was the stone altar that was grown out of the floor a way in front of the arch. Last time, a bomb had been placed on this altar, one that had since been armed with the Final Countdown and the three Sacred Beast cards enhancing its power, before it was cast into a portal that had appeared in the archway, and was now ticking away in another reality. This time...

“Demon?”

Pale white eyes flickered blearily in response. Propped up against the stone table was indeed their nemesis Demon. His head rolled slightly to one side; he was broken. He was barely alive. He was lying with his head against the stone in an awkward position, arms out wide, but seemed too exhausted to move. On his right arm his black duel shield was bent, and had a long crack running down the centre. His black Jinzo style coat, adorned with its chains and silver spikes, had been unbuckled and opened to reveal the thin, almost scrawny body inside. The black vest underneath was covered in blood stains. Scattered around his body were a small number of cards, all spells and traps to the more observant, and lying slightly further away from him was the long sword he carried, which was stained with dark blood. Demon’s blank eyes fluttered again, and with a grunt he forced himself to sit more upright.

“You took your time. I opened the front door for you over an hour ago. Or rather, I had one of my monsters let you in... And why are there only four of you?”

It took a few moments for anyone to respond to this bizarre scene. Eventually Juruo found his voice, and promptly raised it. “Oh I don’t know, maybe being stuck in your water torture had something to do with it! You know; the one that drove Luca to despair? That forced Tyrana to sacrifice herself for us, you sick bastard!”

Demon blinked wearily. “The water tor...? Damn it! That stupid monster, I should have known he’d miss one. I...” A fit of hacking coughs interrupted him, as a lot of blood was spat up. Yuma looked completely horrified, as did Sabin. Hikari looked a mixture of shocked and bewildered. Juruo was equally taken aback. This man who was so all powerful, so in complete control, that they all had grown to fear and despise and was now lying here completely destroyed.

“Wait... what? What are you talking about? And what the hell happened to you?”

Demon’s head rolled before he refocused on Juruo. “This? This is the effect duelling my father has on most people. That and getting run through with your own sword.” Demon ignored the gasps of horror as he clutched at and pulled up his vest, and revealed to the group the massive stab wound in his chest near where his heart would be, and the blood that was still slowly seeping from the open wound. He continued to cough, but forced himself to keep speaking. “I don’t believe you’ve met my father Fygmorke? Lucky you, because this is what happens to those who try to stand against him. I’ve been lying here since last night. But I knew you’d eventually arrive, so with my little strength I summoned the first monster I could draw, which turned out to be ‘Newdoria’. Such a monster wasn’t an ideal candidate for the task, but I didn’t have the strength to keep drawing so I had to make do. I ordered him to disarm all the traps that were set up in the castle, then to open the front door when you arrived.” Demon limply waved a hand with a grunt as Juruo looked like he was going to speak. “Newdoria is a loyal and humble servant... no, perhaps that isn’t the right word. But he isn’t the brightest and was always prone to miss some. I just hoped you wouldn’t get caught in any that were left. I’m... truly... I’m sorry about the lost signer.”

The signers choked as Demon hung his head in shame.

“Erm... Demon” Hikari’s voice was timid and shaking as she stepped forward slightly, and she gulped as his head slowly rose to look at her. He looked so helpless. “Maybe if you explained what has happened, we would understand better. Like why were you fighting your father? Why suddenly try to protect us?”

“Yeah, and what do you mean by ‘try to stand against him?” Sabin added, looking slightly awkward.

Demon looked at each of the three in turn, and nodded slowly. “Very well, your request is not unreasonable. Time is short, so I will assume you know some things of my past due to your acquaintance with my half brothers. I will tell you everything they will never have said, how this all began and culminated in this situation, because everything is important. Everything has possibly led us all to this conclusion...” The group waited patiently as Demon broke off for another fit of coughing.

“You may be wondering why it that I am lying here having this conversation with you at all. My injuries are more than fatal. Well, since the day I was born, I have suffered with a strange curse, for want of a better word. One that you already know a little about, how I cannot feel anything that you might find good, only the awful things. Where you see light and happiness, I can only see darkness and misery. The scent of decay and ruin follows me like a cloud. Food that I’m sure is fine and delicious to you tastes like ash and rotten flesh in my mouth, and so on. Then at the end of another day of this living hell, I still cannot find escape. There are the nightmares that I have endured every night since I was five, that scar me even in the physical world, and I have to be healed when I awake screaming in terror, every night. Is it such a surprise that I was driven mad by this never-ending torment?”

“That’s awful.” Hikari couldn’t help but interrupt, earning herself a stern gaze. “Sorry, I can see how that would make you... but that doesn’t explain how you can still be alive in this condition.”

Demon chuckled mirthlessly. “Hikari, I’ve died at least three times in the last twelve hours.”

Hikari withdrew in shock. The others also jumped back, prompting Demon to chuckle again. “It’s not the first time I’ve ‘died’. Driven mad by such all consuming suffering, you think I wouldn’t try to escape from my nightmares at any cost? I cannot begin to count how many times I’ve attempted to, have really killed myself, or been unable to be revived in time after my nightly horrors. But it seems that my curse has a second sting in its tail. Every time I entered a state of death, I would suddenly wake up, still bleeding or hanging or poisoned etc, but still breathing and living... and suffering, and the cycle of dying and reviving would continue endlessly until I was healed by the spirits in my deck. It soon became apparent that my curse would not let me escape so easily. It was so infuriating, so horrific; I couldn’t help but take my anger and pain out on others. I began to take pleasure in pain, as they were made to suffer like I was. As for when duelling, feeling the burn of taking a duel monster attack still hurt, but at least it was a different kind of hurt; it was a lesser pain to cope with. Barakus, Vardus and my parents could never hope to understand what I endured, although they tried their best to help. But of course they couldn’t.”

“This all meant that there were two options left; either I would eventually die of old age and hope to be free in some afterlife. But I couldn’t be expected to be enthralled with that idea, especially since it turns out that my father is at least three hundred years old and still going strong. So I would have to seek out another solution. I travelled to the deepest and darkest corners of the world searching for a way to end my suffering, and I eventually found it, when I found my biological father, Fygmorke. And he offered me a golden chance of escape from my hell.”

“Utopia, right?” Juruo said solemnly. Demon nodded.

“I discovered my father was a learned sorcerer who had spent the last few years of his life researching another world; a world where pain and suffering does not... cannot exist. A world that was in a different reality, but with great planning could be reached. The idea was pretty damn tempting from where I was. So I started to aid my father’s work. We studied everything, made sure everything was perfect. Seven years ago we found this place, the castle that had been built to protect this archway that leads to a gap between our world, the duel spirit world, and many more. Using my frankly brilliant technological mind I constructed the means to our ascension, the Armageddon Bomb, and found the best power source for it. The Sacred Beast cards held in the capital of each nation. I knew we needed those cards, so I worked my way into the inner circle of Nero, and influenced the war against Ascorsa. Citta del Cascata surrendered soon after, but we were not ready to gather the cards just yet. All threats had to be eliminated first. I found allies; who had suffered the despair of this world like me, who were sympathetic to our cause and who shared our ambitions for a perfect pain free world. They and the emperor took down all who might oppose us, whilst Fygmorke and I continued to fine tune things, for everything had to be exactly right or it would be for nought. And just as I thought we’d got it so, you three show up.”

“Humph, how inconsiderate of us” Sabin huffed, folding his arms. “And stop ignoring Yuma. I’ve noticed you’ve been avoiding looking at her.”

Demon grimaced awkwardly. He had been avoiding looking at the girl standing by Sabin’s shoulder, who was looking at him sorrowfully, and he continued to ignore her now. “As I was saying, when Nero first whined to me about two more rebel duelists, I thought nothing of it, but I’d better keep him appeased, so I sent Alpha and Omega after you. I knew you two were a problem when Fygmorke told me they were dead and had been unsuccessful in their mission. As for you Sabin, I was surprised to discover you emerge onto the scene and rescue the remaining resistance. So the duel spirits sensed their own doom was near, and were fighting back. A wildcard perhaps? But nevertheless, it was time to make our move. I sent my men to retrieve the sacred beast cards at last. Raesir would fetch the Raviel card from his hometown Sennen’Yama, which had been moved there from the ruins of Ascorsa. Gear to Citta del Cascata for Hamon, and the recently recruited Osborn would bring the Uria card from the capital. And if they were to run into you, they were take you out before you became too dangerous. As you know, I also had my hidden trump card keeping tabs on you as well. The cards were gathered, and you came here in one last effort to stop me. This worked well for me Juruo, because our duel put the final piece in the puzzle, as the energy from it opened the portal behind us. You see, the reason your monsters hold no influence in the castle is because all their energy is drawn here to this archway, like a magnet. That was why you wouldn’t have been able to break out of the water torture with their power. But I’m getting off topic; the point is everything was complete. Our dream of Utopia was just nights away.”

“Bah, you’ve been nowhere near the point” Sabin shouted in frustration. “That still doesn’t explain why you’re here on your own, lying in a pool of your own blood, after a fight with your crazy old man!”

“Is your friend always so dense?” Demon asked Juruo, who shook his head in response. “Anyway, everything was going as planned until a few nights ago, the night that Nero fell and the Crimson Dragon appeared over the capital. Fygmorke had been worried when you had become signers prior to your escape, but now all six of you had emerged he was furious. He knew you would soon be coming here, and that you might actually stop us, despite my confidence not even you, not even the Crimson Dragon could do anything now.”

“That night my nightmares were worse than ever. I was really bad. So Fygmorke told me to take a day off, find somewhere peaceful to relax and recharge ahead of the coming battle against the signers. I begrudgingly agreed and left him fully in charge, instructing the others to follow his command without question. When I came back two nights later, I felt better, ready to stop you and for Armageddon to begin. But then I discovered that while Fygmorke had been in charge, Erin had been incarcerated, and that faithful Urusula... poor Urusula... he had cast her off, and abandoned her to die.” Demon looked up sadly at Hikari, as her face whitened.

“Mom...?” she whispered.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t protect her. I know you have little love for your mother, after she abandoned you and did all she did in my name. But deep down, she still felt for you, however much she pretended otherwise. Guilt mostly, but she was seeking the perfect world where you and her wouldn’t suffer, just like I was. When I discovered Fygmorke had cast off a faithful ally who had served us, had as good as killed her himself, I confronted him. That’s when he told me...” Demon swallowed slightly, and took a deep breath. “There is no Utopia.”

There was stunned silence.

“What?” Sabin asked, slowly and deadly, sure he hadn’t heard correctly.

“Well, maybe there is, somewhere in a far away reality. But Armageddon will not take us there. You were right all along, Armageddon is the end. The absolute end. I was just so desperate, so without hope and with every other option sealed off, that I blindly believed otherwise. Fygmorke is responsible for everything; he is the one who has inflicted on me this terrible curse, whose influence has made the others suffer untold despair and emptiness as well that they thought could be filled by reaching Utopia. He manipulated all of us. I was needed for my technological mind that he lacks, as well as being a distraction from himself. Me, Raesir, Gear, Erin, the others. We were all just his pawns, caught in his lies as he sought to bring about the end of the world. I could not understand why, and I didn’t try to. Rage took over me. We met in duelling combat.”

“So that’s how we got here” Hikari nodded, absorbing with horrified fascination everything that Demon had said.

“That’s not quite all. Once again it seemed I had played right into his hands. I was defeated, and this portal opened. Juruo already knows that this portal is activated when enough duel energy, drawn out from the struggles of two conflicting souls, is created. Well, created is a bad word, you can’t create energy or destroy it, only transfer it from different forms, but you get the point. After his last attack threw me into this altar, he went through the portal, stabbing me with my sword on his way, to make sure that his Armageddon would go ahead without interference. It was to this scene the others arrived. I ordered them to give chase; that he was to blame for their suffering, that he had lied about Utopia, and to stop him at all costs. They are in the beyond void now.”

“What are we waiting for then?” Sabin had heard enough, and was marching towards the archway. He placed a hand on the stone with the strange glyphs. It was cold and silent.

“Weren’t you listening Sabin? The portal only opens when a duel is happening in the vicinity” Juruo shouted over to him. “And not just any duel, it has to be a titanic clash of spirits, where both duelists are putting everything on the line. Me and Demon know that better than anyone, we’ve opened it before, aren’t I right Demon? So how about it? I have a score to settle with you after our last match, so if we heal you up, how about we do it again?” Juruo looked at Demon, he knew this was true. However, he wearily shook his head.

“It is not that I cannot physically duel you. I can easily patch myself up. But what’s the point? The countdown can’t be stopped. The end is a matter of hours away. Even if you were to defeat Fygmorke, which I doubt any of you could, that still wouldn’t stop the bomb. It’s already over, it was over the second I activated that accursed thing.”

“What?! You’re kidding! But you sent your guys after Fygmorke to stop him.”

Demon shrugged. “They deserve to hear the truth from him the same as you did, and to fight for their revenge. I imagine out of the three only Erin might have a chance, but I doubt even she could stand against him. In real terms there’s no hope, he’s already won. Besides, when Armageddon comes to pass, I will finally be free from my curse. What else should I care?

“Please Uncle Dravir; you have to fight with us. You can’t give up.”

Demon choked as Yuma finally found her voice, having listened to everything he had said in silence. She stepped forward from the group and knelt beside the man all in black, and took his hand in hers. Her voice was so sorrowful, her brown eyes shaking slightly as they stared into his blank ones. The group had heard how Demon had continually tried to force away from her family to use her, that she had terrified him as a little girl. But still, he was the one looking scared as she held his hands in hers. “Uncle Dravir, we have to at least try, we can’t just give up hope. It’s what defines us, that we keep trying to overcome adversity so we can be happy. I know you have never felt that way, but now you have a chance to do something that makes everyone happy, to save lives instead of end them. Everyone is relying on us, and now they are relying on you. I’m relying on you.”

“No... no no no...”The others watched as Demon looked at his niece in complete terror. “Yuma, I can’t. I have hurt you so much. I’ve robbed you of your future with my selfish actions. I... I killed your dad because of this, and Vardus too. You should hate me more than anyone for what I’ve done.”

Yuma frowned, and shook her head. “I don’t hate you. Dad didn’t either. He loved you. He was just scared, that’s why he tried to stop you; to protect you from yourself and the darkness inside of you as well as me and everyone else. I’ve carried the grief of losing dad, but I would achieve nothing by hating you and he’d say the same. You’ve made mistakes, but you can still make up for them.”

“No I can’t. Please don’t do this Yuma. I don’t want to hurt you anymore...”

“Uncle, it’s the only way” Yuma snapped forcefully, making Demon gulp. “We need your help; you can’t just give up on me and my friends. I’m asking you as your niece. I have found happiness and I know that somehow you can too if you search hard enough. I need you to do this for me.” Juruo Sabin and Hikari looked on in silence as Demon’s conscious fought with itself under Yuma’s stern gaze, Sabin making a mental note in future not to cross her. There was a long pause, before he finally bowed his head.

“Alright. Just look through my deck for some healing cards to give me some energy, then I’ll duel you. I really don’t think it make any difference, but if it is what you want.”

Delight overcame Yuma, so much so that she hugged her newfound, almost reborn uncle, ignoring his grunts of protest. Taking the deck from his shield, she searched it and pulled out the ‘Spell Absorption’ card along with several others scattered around, and placed them on the shield one after another. With each spell an orb of white light materialised and flew into Demon, each prompting a gasp as they gave him new life. After several of these orbs had passed into him, he waved Yuma off and pulled himself upright using the altar, swaying slightly, before taking his cards back and wandering over to one side of the cave. Yuma walked in the opposite direction, whilst the others sat by the altar to watch, as both duelists whipped around, uncle and niece facing off in a duel that had the future of the world riding on it.

“Let’s Duel!”

“Please, you can go first” Demon declared solemnly.

Yuma nodded, face set. “Alright. I draw.” As ever, her deck floated in thin air before her, and five cards picked themselves up and floated before her following her movements, followed by the additional sixth. The ‘Left Leg of the Forbidden One’, to be added to The Left Arm, a Spirit Message spell card, Royal Magical Library, Breaker the Magical Warrior, and a field spell. Not great, but not awful. “I start by activating the field spell ‘Magical Citadel of Endymion’.”

The stone faces of the cave were transformed before their eyes to reflect the buildings of a mighty city with grand structures abound, and magical energy floated through the cave like clouds. “My citadel gains a spell counter each time a spell is activated. Then I can remove them from the city’s energy reserves for the cost of my monsters effects. Next I’ll summon ‘Breaker’ and end my turn.”

“Then mine begins” Demon simply emotionlessly stated, drawing his card from his buckled bracer and ignoring the swordsman in full scarlet armour appearing before him (ATK: 1900). “I’ll start with a face down card. Then I play ‘Card Destruction’, discarding all our cards to the graveyard and then replacing them from our decks.”

Yuma gasped as Demon stared at her. She had lost two Exodia pieces, and already one of her best chances of winning. As she picked up her new hand she couldn’t help but cringe. Another Spirit Message had appeared amongst the other monsters and a trap. Across the field, Demon shook his head at her reaction. “Sorry Yuma, but for this too work, we have to duel each other at full force with no holding back. Unlike the deadness of the castle, the damage felt in this arena under the archway will be felt, it will be very real. I hope you are prepared. I summon ‘Chainsaw Insect’, and attack Breaker.”

A massive land based insect with pincer jaws that were as literally as the name implied, chainsaws, appeared and scuttled towards the knight at speed. For a level four monster, it had ridiculous attack strength, but a heavy drawback for such power (ATK: 2400). Yuma cringed as Breaker was crushed in the heavy jaws and destroyed instantly, and she clutched her ribs as she felt an identical surge of pain (LP: 3500).

“Whenever Chainsaw Insect does battle, I can draw a card. Also, when a monster with a spell counter on it like Breaker is destroyed, that counter gets transferred to my Citadel. Not to mention the one it already gained when you played Card Destruction.” Indeed a blue ball of energy rose up from where Breaker’s corpse may well have been, and ascended to join another one floating high above.

“Very well. I place another card face down. Turn end.”

[spoiler=Summary - Turn 2]

Yuma - Front Row: - Back Row: MCoE. Hand: 5 LP: 3500

Demon - Front Row: Chainsaw Insect. Back Row: Face Down x2. Hand: 2 LP: 4000

Yuma visibly grimaced again as her next card was revealed. The head of ‘Exodia the Forbidden One’ itself, just great. This duel was going to take a lot of improvising now. “I summon ‘Defender the Magical Knight’ in defence mode.” A shield bearer in bright sapphire armour knelt between Yuma and the giant roach (DEF: 2000). “Then I place two cards face down and end my turn.”

Demon looked pained as he observed the backs of the two cards appear. “This is going slowly. I hope for your sake that those face downs can protect you. I activate my face down ‘Call of the Haunted’ to bring back a monster sent to my graveyard by Card Destruction. Rise, ‘Vice Berserker’.” A peculiar fiend of humanoid shape but with horns and long wings rose from the dead (ATK: 1000). “Then I summon the tuner monster ‘Stygian Security’ and tune it with Vice Berserker, to Synchro Summon ‘Stygian Sergeants’.” The other signers looked on in dismay as the motorcycle riding twin headed dragon tore through the portal opened by the summoning. Demon ran a hand through his spiky hair, as a vein in his temple twitched.

“When Vice Berserker is used for a Synchro Summon, the Synchro monster gains two thousand attack until the end phase of the turn, although I must take two thousand points of damage.” Demon yelled and sank to a knee as red mist enveloped him, burning at his flesh. Panting heavily as the light subsided, he forced himself back upright with great effort and stared hopelessly at the shocked Yuma (LP: 2000). “This is my decks nature; to pay a heavy life cost and then restore life it in an endless circle. Now Chainsaw Insect, attack Defender.” Again the insect charged with pincers open wide.

“By removing the spell counter Defender is summoned with, he can survive the battle” Yuma replied surprisingly strongly, as her monster fought the beetle off with its shield, enabling her another draw.

“Whatever the case, my Sergeants attack is more than enough, for when they destroy Defender, they will be able to attack you once again, with a huge attack bonus.” Reluctantly, Demon raised his hand in command and the demonic bikers shot forward (ATK: 4200). Juruo gasped, Sabin shouted a warning in panic.

“I activate the face down spell ‘Magical Dimension’. By releasing Defender, I can summon a different spellcaster from my hand, and then destroy one monster on the field. I summon ‘Tuned Magician’.” The spectators sighed in relief as Defender vanished to be replaced by a man in jade and white robes and a honey coloured hat, the staff in his right hand glowing brightly. A bolt of energy struck down the charging dragons, their bike exploding most spectacularly.

“Come on Yuma, stick it to him so we can get to the others” Sabin called from where he was standing beside the others. Yuma blushed slightly as her next card floated up beside the others, something that was not unnoticed by Demon.

“When you said you had found happiness, is he what you meant?” Yuma nodded, which resulted in another pained look. It was a surreal experience for Juruo and Hikari to see the transformation of the guy who had been so heartless, for him to feel so regretful. “Yuma, I don’t see any sort of good that you seem to see in me. I have robbed you of your future with someone you clearly feel strongly about, just like everyone else. The things you feel are nonexistent to me, and probably make you stronger than me. Now prove it. Turn end.”

[spoiler=Summary - Turn 4]

Yuma - Front Row: Tuned Magician. Back Row: MCoE, Face Down. Hand: 3 LP: 3500

Demon - Front Row: Chainsaw Insect. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: 2 LP: 2000

Turning her focus back to the duel, Yuma looked at her draw card. It was situational in her deck, but right now it was ideal. “I summon the head of Exodia in attack mode.” Yuma wasn’t quite sure how the singular part of the great forbidden one would appear now, but was answered by a ghostly image of a grinning head and the tops of his shoulders, floating in the air. “Then I play the spell ‘Super Double Summon’. This targets my Gemini monster Tuned Magician and summons it, thus allowing it to access its effect. My magician’s effect is that when summoned for the second time, he becomes a tuner monster. Now I tune my magician with Exodia to Synchro Summon ‘Arcanite Magician’.” From the surge of light the left handed wizard in flared white robes descended gracefully before her with his arms crossed, landing softly on the stone ground (ATK: 2400). “Now I activate Arcanite Magician’s effect. By removing one of the currently four spell counters on Magical Citadel, I can destroy one card on the field. I choose your Chainsaw Insect.”

Demon took a slight back step as his beetle was incinerated by the magical blast. Yuma’s heart skipped several beats as she cast out her hand. “Now you’re wide open. Arcanite Magician, direct attack!”

“Naive, my face down card ‘Draining Shield’ activates, cancelling your attack and replenishing my life points by an amount equal to your monsters attack.” As a second blast shot out of the wizard’s staff, a large shield of light rose before Demon.

“I expected that you’d have something. I activate ‘Magicians Circle’. When my spellcaster attacks, we can each select a spellcaster in our decks with two thousand or less attack points and summon them. I choose ‘Magical Marionette’.” Demon passed as the first bolt struck the shield, raising his life points to above their starting point. However the second blast that shot from the palms of the puppeteer was not intercepted. Yuma did not cry or hide her face as the blast struck Demon and forced him to double over and groan in pain (LP: 2400).

“An improvement, but not by much. I draw” Demon’s eyes narrowed as he saw what he’d got. “You want me to open the void so you can try to stop Fygmorke, then witness true duelling power. I activate the ritual spell card ‘End of the World’. By removing the Djinns ‘Cursechanter of Rituals’ and ‘Presider of Rituals’ from my graveyard, I can ritual summon my closest ally who lays waste to all that stands before him. ‘Demise, King of Armageddon’.”

“Crap, not this thing again” Juruo grimaced as the portal heralding the arrival of Demon’s trump card opened beside the cloaked duelist. “He has enough life points to activate its effect and wipe out everything else on the field.” Sabin turned white as he saw the monster that was appearing. The demon king in thick black and silver armour who stood far taller than either of Yuma’s monsters, and carrying a huge axe in his hand (ATK: 2400).

“From my hand, I activate ‘Effect Veiler’” Yuma cried, the card on her left spinning to reveal the child like spell caster, whose ghostly form appeared for a few seconds in front of the giant axe wielder. “By discarded him, I can select one monster and negate its effect until the end of the turn.”

“Ah yes, I forgot that your deck uses Destiny Board, and contains many cards that activate from your hand in order to prevent clogging your spell and trap card zones and stopping it” Demon remarked casually. “Even still, Demise has enough attack power to wipe Marionette from the face of existence. Attack and reduce that monster to dust.” With a maniacal laugh the fiend swung and cleaved the marionette in half. The watching group cried in alarm as the resulting shockwave hurtled towards Yuma, for the only time they had seen her duel she had taken no damage at all. They weren’t to know about the defensive halo of the signer dragon that protected her, that appeared in front of her at the last second to take most of the impact (LP: 3100)

“Whew, at least our monsters power is back up in here” Hikari breathed in relief, as Yuma who had instinctively thrown her hands in front of her face uncurled herself. Behind her, Sabin was going spare.

“I can’t watch this. Be careful Yuma.”

[spoiler=Summary - Turn 6]

Yuma - Front Row: Arcanite Magician. Back Row: MCoE. Hand: 1 LP: 3100

Demon - Front Row: Demise. Back Row: - Hand: 1 LP: 2400

“No worries Sabin. I’ve got this” Yuma called back, not paying much attention to her drawn card. “This duel is mine. Although Arcanite Magician’s and Demise’s attack is equal right now, I can use his effect. By removing one of the four spell counters on Magical Citadel, I can destroy Demise, and then attack you directly for game.”

Demon allowed a smug scoff to escape his lips. “Oh you think it’ll be that easy? You might want to double check your monster there.”

Confused, Yuma looked at her magician, and jumped in shock. The spellcaster looked visibly aged, hunched over and crippled, feeling the strain of some unseen force attacking him. The staff in his hand was lifeless, and his attack had plummeted to its base level (ATK: 400). “What on earth?” she yelled.

“When my Djinns are sacrificed as part of a ritual summoning, they pass on special abilities to the Ritual monster. The effect that Demise has inherited from Cursechanter is most special indeed. Now as long as he is on the field, all of the effects of Synchro monsters are negated.”

‘Damn’ Yuma cursed inside, glancing at her drawn card. ‘The High Priestess’ Staff’. She could set it and use this to protect Arcanite Magician for a turn. She was just about to declare setting it, when another voice, that of Ancient Fairy Dragon, spoke to her.

‘Yuma, Demise’s effect destroys all cards on the field, at the cost of two thousand life points. Make your play cautiously.’

Yuma stopped as the words echoed in her mind. Ancient Fairy Dragon was right; if she set her card then Demise would just destroy it and leave her open. But when she controlled no monsters, High Priestess’ Staff could be activated from hand. Demon could use Demise’s effect to try and clear a path for a direct attack and win next turn, but she could use it to protect herself, and then hit him for five hundred points of damage. If Demise’s effect was used, he would only have four hundred left. “I switch Arcanite Magician to defence mode and end my turn.”

She tried to keep a straight face as Demon’s blank eyes narrowed, boring into her as if he could see her intentions. Did he suspect something was amiss? He’d already said he knew she used cards that activate from her hand. Her opponent licked his lips, then cracked his neck, pondering his move.

“Demise, attack Arcanite Magician.”

The wizard stood no chance as the axe came crashing down on him. Demise cackled wildly as it withdrew from the attack, revelling in the havoc he was causing. From where Arcanite Magician had been slain, two blue orbs rose and were gathered by the field spell in his passing. The group looked on in alarm, Yuma was breathing rapidly in panic, whilst across the field Demon looked remotely bored.

“You are disappointing me Yuma. This entire duel has been disappointing. Now Demise activates the effect he gained from Djinn Presider, letting me draw when a monster is destr...” Demon froze mid-sentence as he picked up the card. His eyes opened wide in shock. A bead of sweat trickled down his brow as he quietly rambled to himself. “No... not this... anything but this. But then... maybe to open the gate and stop him... this might be the only way...”

“Demon, what are you going on about?” Juruo cried over to the pale, ill looking duelist. He himself had turned equally pale at the sight of his reaction to this unknown horror. “What did you draw?”

Demon shook himself out of his stupor as Juruo’s words came to him. He gulped excessively as he stared across at his niece. “Yuma. I think it would be fair to say we have both held back in this duel. I don’t want to hurt you, and I certainly don’t want to serve you up to Fygmorke. You have not duelled with all your heart either. You are sure you want to go through with opening the portal to the void, and facing the evil lying beyond?” Yuma nodded, prompting a resigned sigh, the last breath of a man condemned. “I feared, but knew you would. So now I say that I’m sorry it must come to this. One face down. Turn end.”

“Uncle Dravir, what are you saying?” Yuma cried desperately. Demon simply shook his head, folded his arms, and waited with the same calm, blank expression.

[spoiler=Summary - Turn 8]

Yuma - Front Row: -. Back Row: MCoE. Hand: 2 LP: 3100

Demon - Front Row: Demise. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: 2 LP: 2400

‘I don’t understand. What is he saying? And how can I win?’ Yuma glanced desperately at her fellow signers and back to Demon. He nodded, poker face still in place, whispering ‘go ahead’ to her. But he had Demise out and a face down to protect it. Her field was pretty much empty, and in her hand were only High Priestess Staff and a useless Spirit Message. Breathing heavily, Yuma raised her hand and placed it just above her floating deck, hoping for her prayers to be answered. All her hopes and dreams resting on one card.

She raised her hand, the card pulled back and her eyes widened, as the one to answer her prayers was revealed.

“My heart beats strong with my cards, and they have responded to guide me to victory. We will keep fighting for the bright future. By removing six spell counters from Magical Citadel of Endymion, I special summon the ultimate presider of the enchanted domain. Come forth ‘Endymion, the Master Magician’!”

A portal opened above everyone’s heads, a strange magical symbol that allowed passage for the strongest of sorcerers. A tall man all in black and gold descended from the symbol, his deep purple cape billowing behind him as the magical winds created by his very aura blew around him. The sorcerers face was hidden by a masked crown, but his lips showed a mean look, one of someone who knew what had to be done. In his right hand was the most magnificent staff. Endymion’s feet touched the floor with grace, allowing him to set himself and stare up at Demise in distain (ATK: 2700).

“When Endymion is summoned, I can add the Magical Dimension spell in my graveyard to my hand. But more importantly, by discarding the other spell in my hand, one card is destroyed. Of course I choose Demise.” Without fuss, the ultimate wizard raised his staff, and unleashed a blast of energy that hit Demise in the chest. A huge hole was blown open in his armour as he fell backwards with a scream, fading into nothingness. Yuma gulped as Demon nodded curtly to her, although for a split second his eyes visibly flicked down to look at his cards, and then closed. “Endymion, direct attack.”

There was no huge furore, no big noises or fireworks. The sorcerer simply raised his staff again, and a second beam struck Demon. To her shock he did not even attempt to raise his shield, instead letting the blast hit him square in the chest. Yuma yelled as he flew backwards, landing on his back far away from her. Amazed, Juruo Sabin and Hikari turned instinctively to the great stone archway behind them. The runes carved along the sides were blank. The archway was silent.

“What? No way, how come it hasn’t opened?” Sabin yelled in disbelief.

Quiet laughter reached his ears, an eerie sound that made the hairs on his neck prickle. A minute passed and the laughter grew louder and reached a higher pitch. Turning slowly, Sabin saw the others were staring at the body lying flat on his back, and cackling wildly. Across the field, Yuma looked petrified.

“Uncle?”

Concerning the rest of this week, Chapter 60 - End of Torment, will be up on Wednesday. There will then be a break on Firday for updated bios and a more in depth questionnaire that I would appreciate people filling out for me, before we enter the final throes of Armageddon. All comments appreciated as ever.

*insert Bahamut speak here*

I meant it blew that Tyrana died, it was a sad thing. Chapter was great, like I said.

And indeed, reaction to death is one aspect I want to explore when I eventually study psychology (is that morbid, nah it's not that morbid, I'm A-OK, you know what, shut up).

And there is a new fic, eh? Should be good stuff if you're already planning it now.

I'll go read the new chapter and come back with feedback.

Insert Fusion speak here

Even now i can't read Tyrana's or anyone elses really sad parts without a few tears.

Psychology, cool.

Well the hope (geddit) is that it will be more organised rather than more 'made-up-as-i-go-along' so I should be able to plant ideas and mysteries in the story earlier and have it all fit together nicely. also I should be able to balance the action and storylines out between more main characters, because one of the problems with this has been it's all been about Juruo. The action does need to be shared out, for example watching ZEXAL, 19 episodes in and every duel has been Yuma vs someone else. Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-inggggggggggggggggggggg. I know I need to do better with the supporting cast next time.

Of course I'll be trying to keep it fresh and using as many of the 4th gen cards as possible, so need to wait for more Numbers to be released, along with general Xyz support and reinforcements for the new archtypes like Photon, Evol and Wind Up amongst singles. There are 14 numbers now, maybe when it gets to around 30 I'll have a few more to play with and put to each character.

[spoiler=Responses]

“There is no Utopia.”

Here, I would like to point out another thing about why I love this fan-fic so much. When Demon said this, it felt so inspirational and it really brought him back as someone who was struggling with which side he should choose to fight on. It's always a problem with fan-fics in that the characters don't seem real enough or that they are saying the same things over and over again, but with this fan-fic, it has definitely brought some light and reality, not to mention individuality, into itself.

“This duel is mine. Although Arcanite Magician’s and Demise’s attack is equal right now, I can use his effect.

But Arcanite Magician used it's effect. Therefore, it's ATK would be 1400. Is there something that I am missing here? BTW: I always use bold when I am commenting/providing feedback.

Demon shook himself out of his stupor as Juruo’s words came to him. He gulped excessively as he stared across at his niece. “Yuma. I think it would be fair to say we have both held back in this duel. I don’t want to hurt you, and I certainly don’t want to serve you up to Fygmorke. You have not duelled with all your heart either. You are sure you want to go through with opening the portal to the void, and facing the evil lying beyond?” Yuma nodded, prompting a resigned sigh, the last breath of a man condemned. “I feared, but knew you would. So now I say that I’m sorry it must come to this. One face down. Turn end.”

I didn't think that Demon would go down so easily. I would have figured that the second-to-last duel (if I am correct) would have been a bit longer, or at least had a little bit more action. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Yuma won, I just would have liked for it to be a little bit longer, that was all.

Can't wait for the final Chapter. I know it is going to be awesome.

Here, I would like to point out another thing about why I love this fan-fic so much. When Demon said this, it felt so inspirational and it really brought him back as someone who was struggling with which side he should choose to fight on. It's always a problem with fan-fics in that the characters don't seem real enough or that they are saying the same things over and over again, but with this fan-fic, it has definitely brought some light and reality, not to mention individuality, into itself.

I'm glad. There was two ways I thought people could react to that, one being 'well that's stupid' or 'oh s*** they're all DOOMED'. Happy that someone liked this and is flying the flag for old Demon. He's been a bit through the mill poor guy.

There have been moments where I've feared the mentioned repetitveness, so if I'm keeping this unpredictable and the characters aren't one dimensional then that's a relief.

But Arcanite Magician used it's effect. Therefore, it's ATK would be 1400. Is there something that I am missing here? BTW: I always use bold when I am commenting/providing feedback.

The spell counter was removed from Magical Citadel, therefore Arcanite's attack remained at 2400.

I didn't think that Demon would go down so easily. I would have figured that the second-to-last duel (if I am correct) would have been a bit longer, or at least had a little bit more action. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Yuma won, I just would have liked for it to be a little bit longer, that was all.

Can't wait for the final Chapter. I know it is going to be awesome.

You thought right the first time... this isn't over...

Not by a long way is this over...

"There is no Utopia."

0>0

That caught me off guard in a good way.

So basically Demon is Pain and Fygmorke is Mada-

*shot for Naruto analogy*

That ending there seemed reminiscent of Demon's duel with Barakus.

I have no knowledge of Naruto. *pockets gun for using analogy I don't understand*

Well what's a big bad without being absolutely deranged?

Not intentional that it should feel that way, although due to the family make up that probably came naturally.

And I repeat (for dramatic effect) this is not over...

Huh. Well this isn't quite what I expected at this point. In fact it shot down quite a few of my expectations... thankfully in a good way.

I'm surprised I didn't quite see Dravir vs Yuma coming, but I guess I should have. I liked how you used Dravir and Fygmorke's situation to remove the need for additional villain fights, which would be rather pointless by now. My major complaint here is that we don't get Juruo vs Erin, which frankly should have happened.

I have some doubts about the ending. Clearly evil!Dravir is not out for the count yet, but it remains to be seen how much he still has to do, or whether this is only a minor setback before the party moves on. Given the feel of the story so far, I think Yuma will stay behind, and the three will enter the portal to confront Fygmorke. A lot of things still remain up for grabs, such as Erin's involvement. In the end, all I can say is that I hoped for Luca, Tyrana and Mel to have bigger involvement in these final events, but I guess they're pretty much shut down now. Still going good thus far, and I liked the duel between Yuma and Dravir. Though I have a dislike for Yuma's deck in general, it actually felt nice in this game.

Huh. Well this isn't quite what I expected at this point. In fact it shot down quite a few of my expectations... thankfully in a good way.

I'm surprised I didn't quite see Dravir vs Yuma coming, but I guess I should have. I liked how you used Dravir and Fygmorke's situation to remove the need for additional villain fights, which would be rather pointless by now. My major complaint here is that we don't get Juruo vs Erin, which frankly should have happened.

I have some doubts about the ending. Clearly evil!Dravir is not out for the count yet, but it remains to be seen how much he still has to do, or whether this is only a minor setback before the party moves on. Given the feel of the story so far, I think Yuma will stay behind, and the three will enter the portal to confront Fygmorke. A lot of things still remain up for grabs, such as Erin's involvement. In the end, all I can say is that I hoped for Luca, Tyrana and Mel to have bigger involvement in these final events, but I guess they're pretty much shut down now. Still going good thus far, and I liked the duel between Yuma and Dravir. Though I have a dislike for Yuma's deck in general, it actually felt nice in this game.

*breathes sigh of relief*

Glad this is still throwing up surprises for all. I'm really happy with the cliffhanger ending. Let's just say this, until you read LP: 0, then the duel's not over. Demon still has something in that big black coat of his yet, and its going to be very, very bad for Yuma and company.

Looking past that, well I don't want to give too much away, but Erin is still going to have an impact on this, as will Raesir and Gear (although you won't be as thrilled by that I should imagine). I think you've interpreted what I said to Devil's Advocate as him thinking right er, wrong. There is more than one duel left after this, being spread over the course of six chapters. (So you can all now pencil 16th September in your diary as the end).

You're right about my use/treatment of those outside the main 6 or 7 characters not being enough, its something I'll just have to work on in the future now I guess.Speaking of, am I ok to PM you some stuff about another fic I've got an idea for? I just have a major concern about it that's eating at me.

Glad this is still throwing up surprises for all. I'm really happy with the cliffhanger ending. Let's just say this, until you read LP: 0, then the duel's not over. Demon still has something in that big black coat of his yet, and its going to be very, very bad for Yuma and company.

Of course, it was pretty obvious that the duel wasn't quite over, or even if it was, something major was at hand beyond it.

Looking past that, well I don't want to give too much away, but Erin is still going to have an impact on this, as will Raesir and Gear (although you won't be as thrilled by that I should imagine). I think you've interpreted what I said to Devil's Advocate as him thinking right er, wrong. There is more than one duel left after this, being spread over the course of six chapters. (So you can all now pencil 16th September in your diary as the end).

For some reason I was under the impression that the story was ending like, in two chapters. Glad to see I was mistaken, because I couldn't see how that would happen.

You're right about my use/treatment of those outside the main 6 or 7 characters not being enough, its something I'll just have to work on in the future now I guess.Speaking of, am I ok to PM you some stuff about another fic I've got an idea for? I just have a major concern about it that's eating at me.

Sure, I'll be glad to help.

Holy ba-jeebus, six chapters??!?! There must be like a lot of dialogue (which could be plausible) or a final-boss switcheroo (which I would stab my computer if that happened, I find it taboo to have a final-boss switcheroo) in the course of the chapters. Heck, ZONE's fight in the anime was five episodes. My goodness, Matt.

Oh, BTW: Awards are coming soon. That is all.

Holy ba-jeebus, six chapters??!?! There must be like a lot of dialogue (which could be plausible) or a final-boss switcheroo (which I would stab my computer if that happened, I find it taboo to have a final-boss switcheroo) in the course of the chapters. Heck, ZONE's fight in the anime was five episodes. My goodness, Matt.

Oh, BTW: Awards are coming soon. That is all.

I repeat, there is MORE than 1 duel being spread over the remaining six chapters.

I'm aware of, although have no watched, the Zone duel and its only seven or eight turns, just all yap yap yap. I got about 1/3rd of the final chapter last night and there is off course some dialogue, but not spade loads. As for final boss switcheroo, not sure what you mean exactly, it should be clear who the final boss is now. It is who you think it is.

I know, I wanted to be on the council *glares at Fusion*. Still, I don't mind who wins, I'd prefer Dead Zone, as long as its not that YGO fic that uses the members of this board as its cast (Black's isn't it?). I have a horrible feeling there's going to be a Eurovision style vote for it when it is, well, average fanservice.

I justed started reading and i'm on chapter 18, it's awesome so far. I was just wondering, are you gonna make another series after this?

Chapter 18... oh yeah, Hikari vs Dark Knight. So long ago now :D. Glad you're enjoying it so far.

I don't intend to do another series of this when this is finished, but may do some extra chapters depending on the end. I'll be having a break from writing whilst planning a very different fic instead.

Anyway, chapter 60, this was where I was going to have the break before the whole moving thing. Oh well, guess its worked out either way. Crazy goings on here, as the battle rages on. Hopefully some scary stuff, some sad stuff, and some epic moments for all those concerned.

[spoiler=Chapter 60]

Chapter 60 - End of Torment

Since they had been given the mark of signers, there had been times when Juruo, Sabin, Hikari and Yuma could sense each other’s feelings; often when they were in deep trouble and fighting for their lives. But no such bond was needed to know that they were all sharing the same feelings down. The feeling of your body screaming to move yet being locked in place. Of ice cold hands gripping around the throat restricting the breathing. Of feeling sick but having nothing for the body to reject. All these sensations of pure terror and more took control of the signers as they were transfixed by the wild laughter coming from the still body of Demon lying across the cave. Except he was no longer still. His body was twitching, first at the fingers, then at the shoulders, and then the body followed as if entering a fit. In a blink, purple light engulfed all of Demon’s body, and he sat bolt upright. Juruo had to grab the altar to stop himself from fainting. He’d seen some things on this journey, but this was insane. Sabin really vomited. On the battle field, Yuma clasped her hands to her mouth to hold back a scream, as she looked upon her uncle.

A huge hole had been blasted open in his chest where Endymion had struck, that was still smoking from the attack. Blood was pouring from it, but Demon didn’t seem to care. His eyes were wide and staring, and had turned from blank white to a violent purple. His ear splitting laugh continued as he staggered to his feet, swaying dangerously but demented glee still in place. Finally he steadied himself, standing as if nothing at all had happened (LP: 0).

“That’s... that’s not possible! Uncle Dravir, what’s happening to you?”

Yuma’s desperate plea was met with more uncontrolled giggling from her uncle, as he revealed one of the cards in his hand. He opened his mouth to speak and Yuma flinched, as his voice sounded contorted and mechanical, like someone had taken his words and replaced them with their own.

“This... this is the final gift from my father, which can only be used when I have lost everything. By discarding the remaining cards in my hand, I can summon ‘Infernity Zero’.” The fiend that emerged was a strange creature with a long thin body; muddy red in colour that hovered a few inches above the ground, standing about as tall as Demon. The fiend had a face on its head from which only a pair of eyes could be distinguished, and more eyes appeared down the length of its body (DEF: 0).

“Nothing can stop Fygmorke and Armageddon, it is pointless to even try. The same is true with Infernity Zero, because whilst he exists on the field, I cannot lose the duel, regardless of my life points.” The thing raised its arms in an ascension position, as if to mock the stunned signers with its defiant existence.

“You have to be kidding!” Sabin blurted. “How’s this fair?”

“Hahaha, life isn’t fair. Life is harsh, cruel and twisted. Just when you think you are at the top, it throws you to the floor and grinds you into the dirt. Just when you think you have that one precious thing, it snatches it away from you and leaves your heart an empty and cold void. But soon, all this misery and suffering while end as all life burns, and is released from its endless torment. There may be no Utopia, it might all be just emptiness that awaits, but emptiness is infinitely better than this.”

Across the field, Yuma was shaking, on the verge of tears. “No way. That’s not you talking Uncle Dravir, that card is controlling you. Please uncle, fight it.”

“Why would I want to do that? This card is a gift from my father, I’m sure he must have put in my deck because he knew this would happen. My father who is nobly trying to save mankind from its sorrow. Who will ease all of the poor humans suffering. I may have been used, but it is still for a great cause. Now I must make sure you do not meddle anymore, so that my father’s great work can be completed.” Demon copied the ascension position of the Infernity and started laughing again. On the sidelines, Sabin snapped his gaze from the deranged duelist to his girl who was breaking down at the sight of her uncle.

“To hell with this, I’m getting her out of there” he scowled, taking a step forward from the altar.

Demon’s head snapped to stare at him with a crack. “I don’t think so” he cackled, and raised an arm. Instantly a wall of purple flames shot up in front of Sabin and the others, blocking his path as it nearly torched him. The wall continued to shoot in both directions, around the two duelists to form a complete ring, rising just above their heads. Desperately Sabin went to charge the flames, but the intense heat hit him and forced him back again. Inside the ring Yuma glanced around terrified, desperate for escape, whilst Demon’s laughter continued.

“Come now sweet niece, don’t be scared. Let’s finish what we started. If you are lucky, your pain will end sooner than theirs. I will take you into the peaceful nothingness so you do not have to suffer through Armageddon.”

“Yuma.” The girl’s vision snapped back to the altar, which Juruo was now standing on and shouting to her from. “The true battle starts now. You’ve seen the effects of this before; Fygmorke is controlling your uncle and making him fight. You have to defeat him however hard it seems, it’s the only way to release him. I don’t know what will happen to him after that, but you have to get rid of that monster to free him, and activate this gate so we can stop the real bad guy.”

“You can do it Yuma” shouted Hikari.

“I know he’s you family, but he needs you to save him. He needs you to show him that life isn’t like that. Show him the hope and happiness that exists in your heart Yuma.”

Yuma swallowed as Sabin called out to her from behind the wall of flames, still trying desperately to find a way in, whilst the others stood on the altar to be seen waving to her. She nodded and steadied herself; they were right. Demon was relying on her, and so was everyone else.

“I place one card face down. Turn end.”

Demon’s laughter continued as he drew his next card. “Good girl Yuma. Now let’s have some quality family time. We have much to make up for. I activate the card I set last turn, ‘Darkworld Shackles’, and equip it to Endymion. A monster equipped with this card cannot attack, and its attack and defence are reduced to a measly one hundred. Then I place one card face down. Turn end.” A giant spiked ball attached itself to the magician’s leg by a long chain and immediately a jolt of dark energy shot through its prisoner, crippling it (ATK: 100)

[spoiler=Summary - Turn 10]

Yuma - Front Row: Endymion. Back Row: MCoE, Face Down. Hand: 1 LP: 3100

Demon - Front Row: Infernity Zero. Back Row: Shackles, Face Down. Hand: - LP: 0

“I draw then” Yuma cried, and another card rose from her deck. All she had to do was get rid of that monster, and her uncle would be free. The monster seemed to be supporting his burnt and bloody body, but he had already established to them he couldn’t seem to die, so that was no problem. Unless Fygmorke decided he was no longer of use, and... No, she couldn’t think like now. She had to win. “Your spell may cripple my monster, but it doesn’t stop him from using his effect. By discarding Magical Dimension from my hand, one card is destroyed. So Infernity Zero is about to meet its own nothingness.” The magician was on his knees now, and struggled to life his staff as the chains absorbed his strength. It still managed to aim, and finally fire. The blast hurtled towards the fiend... and passed right through.

“Hahahaha. Foolish little girl. Infernity Zero cannot be destroyed by your pathetic cards effects.”

Yuma almost collapsed in despair. How was she supposed to free her uncle now? A soothing voice in her mind had to force hard to make itself heard. ‘Yuma, stay calm. That monster is tough, but not undefeatable. You can beat it. Just keep your head; in this state he is most dangerous.’

“Okay, I will keep trying for my uncle. I end my turn.”

“I draw, and Darkworld Shackles other effect activates. At the start of each of my turns, the controller of the equipped monster takes five hundred points of damage.” Yuma cringed as her life points took a slight hit (LP: 2600), much to the possessed Demon’s delight. “Next I activate the trap ‘Cursed Prison’. This summons a Synchro monster from my deck in defence mode, and negates its effect. The monster I summon is ‘Dark Highlander’.” Demon was unrelenting in his play, taking delight in every move as the large steel cage rose in front of him, the scythe wielding demon king cramped inside and moaning in pain.

“Then I summon my second Stygian Security, and tune it with level seven Dark Highlander to Synchro summon the phantom of darkness, who brings unimaginable torment at every turn. ‘Crimson Mefist!” A spectral ghoul with light blue skin floated from the pillar of darkness that had risen from the Synchro summoning. Dressed in a dark robe and top hat, the fiend smiled wickedly and brandished his cane, tipped with a skull (ATK: 2800)

“When you Synchro summon, I activate ‘Crown of the Empress’ from my hand” Yuma countered, revealing her trap. “This lets me draw two cards for every Synchro monster on the field.”

Demon smirked as two more cards rose in front of his niece. “Yes, keep fighting Yuma. Fight with all your heart against the hopeless nothingness. Crimson Mefist, crush Endymion.” The phantom’s attack was gruesome, literally spitting blood at the crippled sorcerer.

“I activate my face down The High Priestess’ Staff, cancelling your attack and hitting you for five hundred points of damage.” The trap flipped open and a barrier shot forth in front of the sorcerer. The blood bounced off the shield and flew backwards towards Demon, who again refused to defend himself. He screamed in agony as the blood that covered him boiled and scolded his skin, eating away at his flesh like acid. The pungent smell of burnt leather and skin filled the air around him. Yuma blinked as before him Infernity Zero started to glow with that strange purple light. It seemed to be... in pain? After a second or so, a blood red orb rose from its body and floated just above its head (Doom: 1).

“Bah, it appears you have stumbled upon my monsters weakness” cringed Demon, clutching at his shoulder where a large hole had been burnt through his leather coat. “Infernity Zero cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects, except for its own. For each multiple of five hundred damage I take, a doom counter is placed on Zero. Three counters and he is destroyed. I have no cards left to play, so I end my turn.”

[spoiler=Summary - Turn 12]

Yuma - Front Row: Endymion. Back Row: MCoE. Hand: 2 LP: 2600

Demon - Front Row: Infernity Zero, Crimson Mefist. Back Row: Shackles. Hand: - LP: 0

So the key was to get around the wall and inflict damage by effects. Yuma’s thoughts immediately went to ‘Tempest Magician’. She would be perfect in this position, as she could inflict direct damage to Dravir equal to the number of spell counters on the field times by five hundred. Too bad she didn’t have the means to summon her right now. In her hand were one monster, ‘Right Arm of the Forbidden One’, and now two traps. Not at all helpful when she needed spells to use Endymion’s effect to destroy Mefist, and it was about to get worse.

“Crimson Mefist’s first activates at the start of your turn” Demon cried. For each card that is on your field, you take three hundred points of damage. Currently there is your magician and that field spell, so that totals to six hundred damage.” Another wave of burning blood was flying towards Yuma. The barrier cast by Ancient Fairy Dragon caught all of it leaving Yuma’s skin unblemished, but it did not detract from the mental and emotional stress caused by the attack. For a moment she was disorientated as her brain was crushed by a tight gripping sensation, making her fall (LP: 2000). Sabin yelled out something from behind the flame barrier, concern or encouragement most likely. Shaking out the pain, she darted back to her feet and tried to consider her move.

Out of her traps, one didn’t help greatly, but the other one could be perfect if he attacked Endymion again. But something was off; Dravir had definitely said Crimson Mefist’s first effect. So there was a second that she had to be cautious off. The way her life points were going down, she had to be careful, especially with Mefist punishing her for having excessive cards on the field, and she just had a hunch that her traps could be countered. “I switch Endymion to defence mode (DEF: 100). Then I place t... one card face down.”

“Mefist’s second effect activates” Demon declared as soon as she paused. “Each time you set a card face down; you take another three hundred damage points of damage.” Another blocked wave of blood was enough to confirm her hunch as correct (LP: 1700). Best not to set the other for now. “I end my turn.”

“I draw, and Darkworld Shackles effect activates again, taking away another five hundred points of damage and pulling you closer to the abyss.” Another shock passed up the chain and into Endymion and Yuma felt it to (LP: 1200). Her vision faded for a second as she swayed, she couldn’t see her opponent or the signers, just a blurry image of the arena; of the flames and the darkness beyond. For a horrifying second, she was sure she was dying, and that she was staring into an empty beyond. A beyond where nothing existed; no happiness, no warmth, no security, no hope.

“I place one card face down. Turn end” Demon said somewhere in the distance. Curses, he had decided not to attack to leave maximum cards on the field for his monster. “Can you feel it Yuma? Can you see the endless plains of a world free from the pain that you are in, free from the despair your fellow signers are enduring watching you suffer? Where no nightmares can hurt us, where we can be safe from the bad things forever.”

“Yes, I can see it Uncle. I can the darkness, and I will reject it. A world without feeling anything is no way to exist, it would drive us mad. We would lose our humanity, and everything that life is about.” Demon’s purple eyes snapped open in shock as Yuma stared at him full in the face. “I am not afraid of the hardships of this world, for I have the ones who I cherish beside me to overcome them. I have them to lift me when I am down. I think if you had someone like that too, you could overcome your nightmares and see the glimmer of light that hides in the darkest abyss. I want to be that someone for you, I want to help you see the good in this life that you haven’t had because of Fygmorke.”

Demon growled threateningly as Yuma’s speech ended. “How can you believe that? Having to fight through so much pain for one little piece of happiness, it’s just not worth it.”

“Yes it is. One little piece of happiness overcomes all the pain. One love overcomes all the heartache.” She looked across at Sabin; her face was resolute and unsmiling as he was staring back at her in wonder. “You’re sacred of the pain that Fygmorke has hurt you with, and want it to end. I promise that me and my friends will free you from Fygmorke’s control, because we believe we have hope. I draw.”

“As soon as you draw, Mefist’s effect while reduce you to just three hundred life points niece!” Demon shouted. He was shaking his head frantically, as if Yuma’s word were living demons attacking him. “If you set any more cards face down, you will be drained completely. If not, Darkworld Shackles will take the rest of your life next turn. There is no hope for you. Your love and your friends are helpless, and you are suffering needlessly. What you say is just some fantasy that can’t be achieved. It’s over.”

[spoiler=Summary - Turn 14]

Yuma - Front Row: Endymion. Back Row: MCoE, Face Down. Hand: 2 LP: 1200

Demon - Front Row: Infernity Zero, Crimson Mefist. Back Row: Shackles, Face Down. Hand: - LP: 0

‘Well, he has a point about this duel, even if nothing else. If I’m going to free him from the darkness controlling him, this draw has to be something special. I need the spirits to answer my call once more’. Yuma then did something she rarely ever did. She placed her hand on her deck, paused for a few seconds as she willed the one card that could save her and Demon to the top, and manually drew. The second she did so, the Mefist spat an increased volume of that cursed blood at her. The force of the assault knocked her backwards despite the barriers protection. Her body was shaking, her vision had almost faded completely from the effort to keep going, she couldn’t hear the shouts of the others. But she had to keep going. She turned her card. It swam in her vision, but she could just tell what it was.

“I activate ‘Miracle Synchro Fusion’. By removing from play monsters on my field and in my graveyard that are listed on a Fusion monster, including a Synchro monster, then I can summon that monster. This is the light at the end of the dark tunnel.” A colossal gale wiped through the arena as Yuma held up her card, and a swirling vortex opened overhead, lightning cracking across it. Demon looked on in horror as with a blast from its staff, Endymion broke free of its shackles and leapt into the vortex. The other signers watched in awe as the ghost of the wizard in white robes floated after it. A column of light shot down and crashed into the floor as Yuma roared over the noise “I fuse Endymion and Arcanite Magician to summon ‘Supreme Arcanite Magician’!”

The light dispersed with a wave of a staff and turned to stars, as the ultimate wizard was revealed. An intimidating figure dressed in black and purple robes with spectacularly flared shoulders, sleeves and tails, as well as a matching diadem. Several glowing green spheres adorned his cloak, like the one at the tip of the mighty sceptre he was pointing at Demon. “When my supreme wizard is summoned, he gains two spell counters, and one thousand attack for each of them. Now go, destroy Crimson Mefist with the magic of this world!” The wizard happily obliged (ATK: 3400), firing a stream of green lightening from his staff.

Demon bowed his head. “Impressive, that would put a second doom counter on Zero. But there is still no hope. Your miracle ends here.” Yuma recoiled in shock as he snapped his head back up, and he was grinning for ear to ear. “Activate face down spell, ‘Shrink’! This halves the attack of your monster. Don’t worry niece, your despair will last only a few more seconds. Goodbye Yuma.”

“YUMA!” Sabin yelled helplessly from behind the barrier, as the lightening was effortlessly swatted away by the demon and responded to in kind with its blood attack.

“My face down activates, ‘Waboku’. All battle damage is reduced to zero for this turn, and my monster is not destroyed.” Yuma raised her arm to shield her from the resultant explosion, forcing her further back but mercifully unharmed, as was the spellcaster who emerged from the smoke of the powerful attack. Thank goddess he had survived, but she couldn’t allow the same to be said for that monster. “I activate my magician’s effect. By removing a spell counter from Magical Citadel, your card is destroyed.” There was another bolt of green energy and another explosion, more powerful than the last, and from which the blood fiend did not emerge unscathed this time. Demon coughed and hacked as he waved away the smoke and wiped some bloodstains off his jacket, looking incensed.

“My turn, I draw” he snarled venomously. “I summon ‘Giant Germ’ to the field and end my turn.” The large ball of toxic virus floated in front of him.

[spoiler=Summary - Turn 16]

Yuma - Front Row: Supreme Arcanite Magician. Back Row: MCoE. Hand: 2 LP: 300

Demon - Front Row: Infernity Zero, Giant Germ. Back Row: -. Hand: - LP: 0

Yuma instantly recognised the lure for what it was. If she destroyed Germ by battle, her remaining life points would be gone, but she had the advantage now and had to keep pressing with it. “I activate Supreme Arcanite Magician’s effect once more, destroying Giant Germ.”

The appalling virus was easily blasted to bits, prompting another scowl from Demon as Yuma ended her turn. He drew again, and placed the single card face down.

“It appears we have reached a stalemate my niece. But no matter, every turn that passes sees time slip away from you a little bit more. Every minute this duel is dragged out for gives you a minute less to try, vainly, to stop Fygmorke. No matter how powerful your wizard is, he cannot destroy Infernity Zero. Nothing in your deck can defeat the undefeatable. You cannot dance around the jaws of defeat forever. Accept your fate Yuma, and allow me to ease you out of this world painlessly so you do not have to suffer the flames of destruction that are mere hours away from enveloping this world.”

“Not a chance I’m giving up. I draw.”

[spoiler=Summary - Turn 18]

Yuma - Front Row: Supreme Arcanite Magician. Back Row: MCoE. Hand: 3 LP: 300

Demon - Front Row: Infernity Zero. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: - LP: 0

‘Spell Power Grasp’. Even though it would give her magician an almost limitless supply of ammunition for its effect and even its attack power, it bought her no closer to defeating him. This duel had gone on for about an hour now, time was ticking away. Demon could quite easily sit behind his monster and stall for time on behalf of the sorcerer manipulating him. It didn’t matter whether he won or lost; just eat away at the time limit on the signers heads as much as possible. This had to end quickly, and that would call for desperate measures.

“I activate the second effect of Supreme Arcanite Magician. By removing one spell counter from the field, I can draw one more card.” Another card floated upwards, and Yuma couldn’t stop herself from gasping. This one was useless to her too? Across the field, Demon broke into a wicked smirk.

“It doesn’t take much to see that the card you just gambled on is a useless monster. A piece of Exodia perhaps?” He knew he was right, but asked rhetorically anyway. Yuma gulped inwardly; she had indeed drawn the Right Leg of the Forbidden One. Her reaction caused Demon smirk to broaden. “I activate my trap card, ‘Ominous Fortunetelling’. During my standby phase, I can predict the type of one of the cards you are holding, and if I’m right you take seven hundred points of damage.”

“Oh no” Juruo blurted in panic, prompting scared looks from the other two. “When I faced Demon before, he used that card on me, and got three correct calls out of three.”

Sabin’s eyes widened in horror. “Plus he’s already tricked Yuma into using up Arcanite’s effect. This... this can’t be happening. She has to have something left, right?”

Back in the ring of fire, Yuma was motionless, staring across at her uncle who was laughing in that deranged fashion again. At the indestructible monster floating beside him. The trap that she knew that once used would be successful and defeat her, and the consequences that might have on her now. She looked over the five cards floating in front of her once more. ‘Monster Reincarnation’ was amongst them. With it she could bring back Breaker who was destroyed first turn to her hand, and destroy the trap card with his effect. But that would bring her no closer to victory. Demon would just keep sitting behind his wall and drawing cards that could defeat her, and time would keep slipping away. She turned hopelessly to the other cards, having already dismissed them as no good to her now...

Unless...

“I place one card face down. Then I activate Monster Reincarnation. By discarding one card from my hand, I can add a monster in my grave back to it. Since you were so confident about my last draw, I’d better get rid of it for the cost.” The cards that were in Yuma’s graveyard floated directly below where her deck was. As the rightmost card of her hand floated downwards, and another rose and took its place. This would give Demon an easy pick for his trap, but the cards in her ‘hand’ then joined together, shuffled, and realigned themselves in a new order, hiding the whereabouts of the added card. “With that... I end my turn.”

The other signers exchanged looks of horror and disbelief, whilst Demon simply sneered at her. “Is that all you can manage now Yuma? To bring back a monster only to keep it in your hand. Dear niece, I’m disappointed. I expected more from the one destined since birth to be a signer, the holy child who would protect this world. After I tried so hard to get you on my side in order to keep you from becoming a problem, I guess all that you were never really an issue. I activate Ominous Fortunetell...”

“Trap card, ‘Backup Soldiers’” Yuma yelled over him, pulling back the trap card to reveal it to Demon, who for the first time blinked in genuine shock. “This card allows me to select three monsters in my graveyard with less than fifteen hundred attack and no effect of their own, and add them back to my hand. I bring back the only three cards I can, the three pieces of the most ancient and powerful being ever known that are left in my graveyard, and reunite them with the right arm and resurrected head in my hand.”

The ominous wind in the cave rose again, more vicious than before, as five cards spun round to reveal themselves. The fires surrounding the two duelists roared and rose higher, heralding the arrival of the ultimate. The signers watched on, eyes locked on the battle, unaware that the runes on the archway behind them were starting to glow as a giant ring, the seal of the most powerful monster in duel monsters, appeared behind the girl whose long hair was flying around wildly. Her dark brown eyes were boring straight into those of her uncle. He was completely afraid. She was unnervingly calm.

“There is only one truly unstoppable monster, and that is the one now fully assembled in my hand. Come forth, Exodia the Forbidden One!”

A thunderous roar echoed around the cavern, as two giant golden hands, with thick manacles wrapped around each wrist, reached through the glowing seal and grabbed the edges. Sabin turned to Juruo. His face was white.

“Er, J? If she summons Exodia, which would usually win her the duel instantly, but he has that monster which stops him from losing the duel while it’s on the field... what happens?”

“Don’t know; don’t think we want to be around to find out.” Juruo was interrupted by another deafening roar. The biceps of the giant heaved and pulled, and a face started to emerge out of the seal. Then the rest of the head, slowly followed by the shoulders and upper torso of the great Exodia. There was a second noise, a sort of soft swirling noise like flowing water coming from behind them.

“The gateway, its opening” Hikari shouted, jerking the two boys into being able to move again. Indeed the light blue screen of swirling energy had appeared within the towering archway, the entrance to a world beyond this one. Inside was Fygmorke. Instinctively Hikari and Juruo looked back at the battle. Demon was backing off from Exodia who was now halfway out; a shackled foot had now stepped through the seal. Its right hand had let go of the rim of the portal, and was now pulling with all its might against the chains holding it back. The monster before it was tiny in comparison, but it had raised its own skinny arms, and a black energy was starting to be formed in its arms.

“Time to go” Juruo shouted, nodding to Sabin before turning to the portal with Hikari. Sabin rifled through his cards, picked out the first suitable one he could find, and threw it into his shield.

“Ally of Justice Field Marshall, bridge the gap.” The giant silver machine of humanoid build rose up, high enough to almost touch the rocky ceiling. Even he seemed unable to pass through the flames, but he was tall enough to reach over them. A long arm stretched down over the barrier and rested as low as it could. “Yuma, get out now!”

Yuma grabbed her deck and ran; leaving the Exodia cards whose power was opening the portal floating behind her. It was too late to stop him now anyway. Breaking out of his petrified state, Demon moved to, and sprinted towards her. How could somebody so grievously injured move so fast? All that mattered was that he was, and he and Yuma were both racing towards the monster reaching into the ring. Yuma was ahead, she was reaching out for the hand of escape.

Sabin screamed in anger as Demon caught Yuma around the waist and dragged her back. She flailed and kicked at him desperately but he held firm, pulling away from the metal hand that was rstretching to its limit and snatching at thin air. “No. I can’t let you!” There was something different about his voice now.

“Hang on Yuma, I’m coming” Sabin yelled, pulling out Red Dragon Archfiend. Exodia was now almost fully released from his prison and roaring as he pulled violently at the chains that bound him. Infernity Zero had raised his barrier. The effect of these conflicting monsters, of the chaos created by these two opposing forces, was starting to take its toll. Rocks were crashing down all around them. Fissures were appearing in the ground. The chaos would without doubt destroy them all.

“Sabin, just go.” The words made Sabin stop just short of summoning his dragon and tremble. Yuma was grimacing as she fought against her uncle, and from what she was saying to him now. “Go through the archway. Stop Fygmorke.”

“I’m not going without you.”

“Please Sabin, you have to go.” Yuma’s cheeks were streaked with tears as she struggled helplessly against Demon. “There’s no time. You have to stop Fygmorke. Don’t worry about me. I... I love you.”

Before Sabin could protest further, before he could summon his dragon, two sets of arms grabbed him under each shoulder. Surprised, frantic, he pulled against them, but Juruo and Hikari had the advantage and pulled harder, dragging him towards the archway. They were both shouting something, something completely irrelevant to him. There was a loud crack, as the chains binding Exodia’s wrists snapped, and a ferocious fireball erupted in his free right palm. Trapped in the circle of flames, Demon stood perfectly still, staring blankly at the departing signers, eyes wide in terror of what was about to come. Yuma had stopped struggling. Instead she clutched a bunch of her many necklaces, and held them tight to her heart as she stared sadly at her boy who was still fighting wildly against the others to save her. He stopped as she shook her head, and again mouthed the words ‘I love you’. With one last heave, Hikari and Juruo fell with Sabin through the portal.

The three collapsed with a thud on solid ground. Exhausted, Hikari weakly lifted her head and looked around. She couldn’t pick out much other than it was extremely bright here, any further details were blurred by tears. Beside her, Sabin got back to his feet and turned back towards the portal. He was going back. Except the gateway was now silent. The identical stone arch sticking out of the ground was just an empty hole that gave view to the white sky surrounding them. Sabin fell numbly to his knees.

“Mate. I’m so sorry.” Juruo was kneeling beside him and put his hand round his shoulder, his words were strangled in his throat as he tried to offer some comfort. Sabin could see he was on the verge of tears. But he had stopped him from rescuing Yuma. Enraged, he swung blindly and connected with the jaw with a resounding thump. Juruo didn’t react, didn’t try to stop him as Sabin continued to punch him in the arm and ribs for a minute, before finally collapsing into his shoulder and clutching him desperately, fearing he would fall into a bottomless pit of despair if he let go.

“One day. I finally find something meaningful, someone who means so much to me and feels the same way, and she’s taken away from me after one day.”

Juruo wordlessly held Sabin while he cried quietly into his shoulder. Hikari knelt down with them and without hesitation hugged the two boys, ignoring the scars on her arms. The three remained in this position for a few minutes, silently holding onto each other under the gaze of the closed archway in the middle of this world. A world that was filled with bright light that seemed to have no obvious source. The signers were actually sat on a floating slab of rock, dark granite like stuff of which the shiny surface gleamed in the light, which hung in midair and branched off in two directions either side of the closed archway, connecting to more giant rocks like it on which were more giant archways of differing designs. Some smaller rocks floated between the networks at random. You may have thought there would be no way life could be sustained in this barren empty space, but somehow some forms of glow moss and other plant life, evolved to survive in these conditions, grew in places on the rocks, perhaps absorbing water from inside them. Any other circumstances and the place might have been considered strangely, ominously beautiful. The signers heartache was taking most of their focus for now though.

The creeping feeling of being watched over was sensed by Juruo first. Slowly craning his head upwards, three huge beasts were descending through the bright sky, coming to a stop and floating just above them. The silvery Stardust Dragon on the left, the bulky dark Red Dragon Archfiend in the centre, and the smaller pink petal feathered Black Rose Dragon to their right. Hikari nudged Sabin, who swallowed back his tears at the sight of his and the others mighty protectors hanging in the air before them.

Juruo nervously cleared his throat, unsure quite how to address a dragon. Before he could speak however, he was cut off by a soft soothing voice in the back of his head, one might expect of an angel. Instinctively he looked at the flowery dragon, but it was silently looking down at them. It was in fact Stardust who was speaking; given it was the only one with its jaws open. Such a calming melodic voice, unless Stardust was... female? Sabin and Hikari looked bemused too, as they heard the same voice.

‘At last we meet face to face outside of battle, although the greatest fight is close at hand. Signers, we appear before you as we passed through a gateway created between our world and this place, the same way as you did. Here we shall join forces for the last fight, for the lives of all our kinds and more existences innocently caught in Demon and Fygmorke’s madness.’

Juruo shook his head. “Don’t blame Demon, he was used. This is Fygmorke’s will and doing alone.” Stardust paused for a moment, before he or indeed she nodded mutely as Juruo registered the surroundings for the first time. “This place. Do you guys know anything about it? It looks similar to the place I fought Eternia.”

‘Similar in appearances, but not the same. This place is a medium between all worlds and realities. Here we pass from our world to yours and back, although much is unknown and beyond our understanding. What can be deduced is when you summon us; something here opens a portal in each of our worlds for us to come through, so close together we’d never usually notice as we pass through. But now there is a disturbance here, enabling us to catch glimpses of this place as we cross over. The disturbance is weakening this place; its existence is crumbling, which in turn tears against the boundaries that separate our worlds from others. See for yourselves below you.’

Swallowing hard, Juruo and Hikari crawled over to the edge of their floating platform and looked down. They found themselves staring into a black hole, a swirling vortex of dark clouds far below them with purple lightening flashing across it. A stone pathway led down to the centre of the vortex.

“The bomb containing the Sacred Beasts and Final Countdown cards is in there, isn’t it?” Hikari asked. “And Fygmorke?”

‘Correct’ came a shriller, edgier and more highly-pitched voice, belonging to her dragon. ‘That device is in there and the corrupt power of the cards locked inside it is slowly destroying this place.’

A low, booming voice interrupted her. ‘If this place is destroyed, then many if not all worlds will collapse as the boundaries keeping them separate disappear. They will collide with other realities and burn in the chaos that ensues. The bomb must be stopped at all costs.’

“At all costs huh? Even at the cost of our lives?” Sabin had finally got his voice back, and was looking emptily up at the three dragons. “Please, tell me what happened to Yuma?”

After an awkward moment of silence, it was Stardust that spoke. ‘We came through here at the same moment as you did, but Ancient Fairy Dragon went straight through and into your world. When we crossed, we lost all connection with events in our world and yours. We do not know anything that happened after Exodia and that card of Demon’s faced off. We’re sorry.’ The other dragons bowed their heads as Sabin looked away into the distance.

He stood, rolled his neck, put his hands in his pockets, and started to march away, towards the downward leading path.

“Juruo. Hikari. Red Dragon Archfiend. I won’t let despair overcome me. I’ll use it to drive me forward, in honour of Yuma’s wishes. I will go with you, to whatever lengths we have to go to, fighting whoever we have to fight, until we win and Fygmorke is stopped. I’m going to make him pay for this.” He paused for a moment, and looked up at the space ahead of him where something quite strange was happening. Something was glowing bright gold, floating slowly down to him from somewhere above. Instinctively he reached out and grabbed it, and after a second the thing stopped glowing, taking the shape of a card. Sabin looked at it for a long moment, before placing it in his deck with a nod and continuing on his way down to the path.

‘Very well’ Red Dragon Archfiend called after him as he went. ‘I shall wait in my card for you to summon me to battle the enemy’. Juruo and Hikari blinked as the mighty dragon turned into a flash of red light that dashed after Sabin and disappeared into his duel shield.

We will also await your call’ Black Rose Dragon said to the two remaining on the platform. ‘However, remember the other monsters who have fought beside you all the way. The Dragunity, the Lightsworn, the Fabled and the rest. Do not feel that all your hopes rest on us; they will fight besides you as we do, use the cards that the situation calls for. If that means us, then call upon us to fight. The citizens of your world and the spirits of ours pray for our success.’

With that the two dragons turned into green and pink flashes respectively, and vanished into Juruo and Hikari’s duel shields. They looked at each for a moment, both looking nervous yet determined, just as they knew by now the other would be, as they were the night they first met. They set off after Sabin, and after a long winding walk, found themselves on the path down to the black vortex. It seemed to be smoke more than anything. Without hesitation Sabin stepped thoroughly and slowly submerged into the darkness, followed by the others.

So yeah, two weeks left of this now. Having a break on Friday for updated bios, decklists, etc, before the final battles in the final arena take place as a mini arc as it were (kinda like Final Fantasies on the PS1 where the entire final disc was reserved for the last location and boss fights). The last six chapters are, with the exception of Chapter 61 - Into the Unknown, all progressively longer than even this chapter, but will try to keep them from being overly so.

Some points about this chapter in the spoiler below. Don't look until after you've read the chapter.

[spoiler=Points about chapter 60]

Yeah, so Exodia vs Infernity Zero. This decision was taken during early writing of Arc 3 as something that would happen, when it emerged that Yuma would be a major character and that the Infernity would be involved. I have no idea what would happen if this situation was to genuinely occur in a duel, my theory is that Zero's effect is already active and nothing has been done to negate it, so it would stop Exodia. I am probably wrong.

Before anyone comes in and says 'Why didn't Sab fly in on RDA and rescue Yuma?', the cave was collapsing and there would have been no way RDA could have done any airbourne rescue job, I think.

Finally the whole signer dragon bit at the end, I'm suspecting that hasn't gone down well. I just felt it needed some exposition before the break, and couldn't think of another way to do it, cheesy and cliche as that was. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm not that happy with that part given the prior events. Best I could do in the end unfortunately.

I know, I wanted to be on the council *glares at Fusion*. Still, I don't mind who wins, I'd prefer Dead Zone, as long as its not that YGO fic that uses the members of this board as its cast (Black's isn't it?). I have a horrible feeling there's going to be a Eurovision style vote for it when it is, well, average fanservice.

Not my fault you were late =P

And Cosmic Path died a month ago.

I can see the winner being DEF, Dead Zone, or Armageddon.

Since DEF won last year, I want one of you two to win. I'm only up to chapter 9 in DZ, but I can tell it's very deserving of Best FanFic, but considering how invested I am into this at the moment, I'm voting for you.

And I'll read the new chapter shortly.

I never got around to Dead Zone because the plot didn't really hook me in that well. I think this story did a lot better job at pulling the audience in and not letting them go until the final moment that they have to close their laptops or shut down their computers.

And since I am in charge of the Fan-Fic section plus a couple of others, it really depends on the people who vote, but it could turn out in one of three ways.

Hmm.

Plot-wise, it pretty much came down as I had expected. Crazed!Dravir traps Yuma and their duel eventually causes the portal to open, but the others have to go on without her. The duel, though, was entirely unexpected. I couldn't have seen Infernity Zero coming even if you had confirmed Demon's LP reaching 0 last chapter. The rest of it went down alright, more or less. Stalling for time with Zero, burn with Blood Mephist... Yuma trying to retaliate with Supreme Arcanite... all of this was highly unbelievable when stacked into a single duel, but somehow it all got mixed up decently. I'm sad Black Highlander didn't make a more prominent appearance. What really irked me though was the fact that no Ancient Fairy appeared. You'd think with Blood Mephist and a field spell in play she would've been quite the ideal move during Yuma's desperation, but instead you went with Miracle Synchro... fair enough, I suppose, but I could literally envision Ancient Fairy's ghost over Yuma, desperately flapping her wings to gain her attention, like... 'hey! I'm still here!' In the end, I was surprised that Yuma didn't win - more accurately she pretty much lost since, as you correctly guessed, with Infernity Zero in play, Demon wouldn't lose even from Exodia. And though you managed to portray it rather well, Exodia vs Zero wasn't quite as... cool as you may have hoped for.

Anyway... despite my complaints, I actually thought the duel was well done. The after duel stuff was alright, with the exception of Sabin's reaction which was over-the-top amazing. Funny because I had managed to picture the place they'd end up after crossing the portal extremely accurately. I liked it when Black Rose began telling them to remember their other monsters, but somehow derps all over Sabin's Allies. Hmm, a hidden plot point... nah. I was a little confused with the 'dragons-turning-into-light' thing - I guess Sabin got some new card, but the scene directly afterwards made it seem like that was Red Demons... reading it again, it's pretty clear, but the first time I read it I was quite puzzled. Anyway, why the green / pink color scheme for Stardust and Black Rose, and not just their usual colors? Hmm, this whole thing got me wondering about Sabin getting a new card while Juruo and Hikari did not... if I'm not mistaken you've already used all the high-end Allies of Justice, so I'm thinking of Red Demons upgrade... Buster Mode and Savior seem plausible, but each should consist of two cards, while Sabin got only one, and while it's possible that he just pulls the actual upgraded form out of nowhere, it would seem a little contrived. So I'm guessing Scar-Red Nova Dragon (especially since that would be the single upgrade that could not be mirrored by Juruo's Stardust outside a Riding Duel)? We'll see.

I actually thought the Exodia-Zero clash was amazing.

But that might be because I'm a casual player and envisioned Zero to myself instead of looking him up on the wiki.

Still.

I'm hoping Yuma didn't die. I think she should live.

LIVE YUMA, LIVE.

The duel was cool, I found myself more in tune while reading it then usual.

But the fact that now there's a card that can stop Exodia boggles my mind.

I can't wait for the next chapter.

(btw, see that cursor in my sig, try clicking it)

(maaaagic)

Not my fault you were late =P

And Cosmic Path died a month ago.

The thing was open and shut within an hour that I wasn't on for.

Good. My fears will not be realisied.

Hmm.

Plot-wise, it pretty much came down as I had expected. Crazed!Dravir traps Yuma and their duel eventually causes the portal to open, but the others have to go on without her. The duel, though, was entirely unexpected. I couldn't have seen Infernity Zero coming even if you had confirmed Demon's LP reaching 0 last chapter. The rest of it went down alright, more or less. Stalling for time with Zero, burn with Blood Mephist... Yuma trying to retaliate with Supreme Arcanite... all of this was highly unbelievable when stacked into a single duel, but somehow it all got mixed up decently. I'm sad Black Highlander didn't make a more prominent appearance.

What really irked me though was the fact that no Ancient Fairy appeared. You'd think with Blood Mephist and a field spell in play she would've been quite the ideal move during Yuma's desperation, but instead you went with Miracle Synchro... fair enough, I suppose, but I could literally envision Ancient Fairy's ghost over Yuma, desperately flapping her wings to gain her attention, like... 'hey! I'm still here!' In the end, I was surprised that Yuma didn't win - more accurately she pretty much lost since, as you correctly guessed, with Infernity Zero in play, Demon wouldn't lose even from Exodia. And though you managed to portray it rather well, Exodia vs Zero wasn't quite as... cool as you may have hoped for.

It's remarkable how since the 6D's got involved in this, I've never really gone out of my way to make sure they are summoned in each duel, except in the previous one. Stupid of me really, I guess I didn't like how in the anime the signers literally could NEVER win unless their dragon, or upgraded version thereof, was summoned.

Dang, I was hoping that end would be kind of cool and different. Sucks I was right.

Anyway... despite my complaints, I actually thought the duel was well done. The after duel stuff was alright, with the exception of Sabin's reaction which was over-the-top amazing. Funny because I had managed to picture the place they'd end up after crossing the portal extremely accurately. I liked it when Black Rose began telling them to remember their other monsters, but somehow derps all over Sabin's Allies. Hmm, a hidden plot point... nah. I was a little confused with the 'dragons-turning-into-light' thing - I guess Sabin got some new card, but the scene directly afterwards made it seem like that was Red Demons... reading it again, it's pretty clear, but the first time I read it I was quite puzzled. Anyway, why the green / pink color scheme for Stardust and Black Rose, and not just their usual colors? Hmm, this whole thing got me wondering about Sabin getting a new card while Juruo and Hikari did not... if I'm not mistaken you've already used all the high-end Allies of Justice, so I'm thinking of Red Demons upgrade... Buster Mode and Savior seem plausible, but each should consist of two cards, while Sabin got only one, and while it's possible that he just pulls the actual upgraded form out of nowhere, it would seem a little contrived. So I'm guessing Scar-Red Nova Dragon (especially since that would be the single upgrade that could not be mirrored by Juruo's Stardust outside a Riding Duel)? We'll see.

You should rejoice, Sabin has many more epic moments to come :D All the others do to, but obviously when it comes to Sabin epicness comes so naturally.

Allies, knew I'd forgot something. There's nothing in that, just memory lapse, either that or BRD assuming Sabin really couldn't give a s*** what she had to say at that particular moment. As for the light show, just something I'd saw in the anime opening sequence and thought that was what they did. I'm still not happy with that scene really except for Sab's parts.

As for the who, what, how and why of Sab's new card, we'll see won't we. Yes we will.

I actually thought the Exodia-Zero clash was amazing.

But that might be because I'm a casual player and envisioned Zero to myself instead of looking him up on the wiki.

Still.

I'm hoping Yuma didn't die. I think she should live.

LIVE YUMA, LIVE.

The duel was cool, I found myself more in tune while reading it then usual.

But the fact that now there's a card that can stop Exodia boggles my mind.

I can't wait for the next chapter.

(btw, see that cursor in my sig, try clicking it)

(maaaagic)

Glad someone found it epic.

The hottie has to live. Because she's hot! Please let the hottie live Matt!!!...

...........I said that out loud didn't I?

Well can't say anything about it really. It is of course premature to give up on anyone in this story until you see their stone dead body, look at Aerial. But it looks a bit hopeless for Sabin's Yuma right now....

You MUST watch the episode (90ish) of 5D's where Kalin summons Zero, its one of his greatest ever moments.

Next chapter is Monday, bios on Friday. Also going to be a questionnaire I'd appreciate people filling out for me.

As promised, updated bios and decks right here. Along with questionaire that shall be up in a minute.

Character Profiles

The Signers

[spoiler=Juruo Daisuke]

Male, 16, former factory worker and student

Tall and skinny, pale skin, messy spiked black hair and emerald green eyes. Wears a black jacket and basic white shirt, and dark trousers and boots.

One month ago, Juruo was living the average life of a boy in the slums of the Empire’s capital. Living in poverty, having to work, go to school and help his single mother at home, he could not expect anything would change under the Empire, let alone he would make a difference. But after received a duel shield and duel monsters deck, outlawed items in the Empire, he joined the Resistance to make his stand.

How long ago even that seemed now. The Empire has fallen, and the curtain has been pulled back to reveal the full scope of the imminent annihilation. Along with the other signers, Juruo began the chase to the stronghold of Demon to stop the Countdown threatening all existence. On the way he and Sabin were confronted by Gear and the possessed Mel, who he was forced to attack and almost kill to survive. He was then faced with fighting another possessed friend in Hikari, who was seeking to make him her own. Willing to do anything to help his friends at any cost, he tried to free Hikari from the darkness controlling her, but was defeated and beaten heavily. But despite every hardship, he will keep fighting.

Juruo has reached the void with Sabin and Hikari, where the Armageddon Bomb created by Demon is somewhere within, along with the wicked sorcerer Fygmorke who seeks total destruction, and his former partner Erin, who he will no doubt need to find and settle things with.

[spoiler=Final Deck - Dragons Rebirth (44/48)]

Monsters:

Dragunity Arms Leyvaten,

Dragunity Arms Mystletainn,

Dragunity Primus,

Dragunity Dux,

Dragunity Legionnaire,

Dragunity Militum,

????,

Dragunity Aklys,

Dragunity Brandistock,

Dragunity Corsesca,

Dragunity Darkspear,

Dragunity Phalanx,

Dragunity Pilum,

Decoy Dragon,

Totem Dragon,

Masked Dragon,

Debris Dragon,

Shield Wing,

Unibird,

Alector Sovereign of Birds,

Cyberdark Edge,

Cyberdark Horn,

Cyberdark Keel,

????

Spells:

Dragon Canyon,

Dragon Mastery,

Cards of Consonance,

Swords of R. Light,

Stamping Destruction,

Super Rejuvenation,

Emergency Provisions,

Dragon Heart,

Swallows Nest,

Fighting Spirit,

Cyberdark Impact!,

????

Traps:

Negate Attack,

Icarus Attack,

Burst Breath,

Graceful Revival,

Windstorm of Etaqua,

Urgent Tuning,

Wotan’s Judgement,

Hallowed Life Barrier,

Hope for Escape,

Tuner’s Mind,

????,

Starlight Road

Extra Deck:

Dragunity Knights Gae Bulg,

Gae Dearg,

Vajrayana,

Trident,

Barcha,

Vortex the Whirlwind,

Stardust Dragon,

Cyberdark Dragon,

????

Record: Sabin (w), Osborn (w), Alpha & Omega (tag w/ Hikari, w), Carla (w), Gear (-), Demon (l), Eternia (l), Gear & Melanc (tag w/ Sabin, w), Hikari (l)

[spoiler=Sabin Krieger]

Male, 17, formerly a thief now unemployed

Stockier than Juruo, tanned skin. Silver swoop style hair and green eyes. Wears a sleeveless black shirt, fingerless gloves, and jeans.

A thug, a pickpocket, a cheat, and many others things have been branded to the silver haired rebel. But since meeting Juruo and aiding him in rescuing duelists from execution by the Empire, Sabin has undergone a complete transformation from the self centred and cowardly person he was. A diamond in the rough character, Sabin is brash and rude at times, but his heart is always in the right place even if he often struggles with his social skills.

As the extent of Demon and Fygmorke’s Armageddon began to take shape, Sabin has driven the other signers on towards the stronghold at the centre of the chaos. He has taken the responsibility of being a signer with pride, realising that for the first time people are relying on him for good. With his gritty spirit, he battled alongside Juruo against Demon’s minions and then against the darkness controlling Hikari; taking it upon himself to save her after she put her faith in him. It was these heroics and his personality that made Yuma realise how she felt about him, and they got together.

This happy union was a beacon of hope in the darkness, but did not last, as Yuma was trapped by Demon and unable to escape with Sabin into the void. His heart has been consumed with despair, but he has resolved to fight on in her memory, and not let her sacrifice for him go in vain.

[spoiler=Final Deck - Destiny of Justice (37/45)]

Monsters:

Ally of Justice Garadholg,

Ally of Justice Nullifier,

Ally of Justice Quarantine,

Ally of Justice Omni-Weapon,

Ally of Justice Cycle Reader,

Ally of Justice Cyclone Creator,

Ally of Justice Core Destroyer,

????,

Ally of Justice Cosmic Gateway,

Genex Ally Duradark,

Genex Ally Birdman,

Genex Ally Changer,

????,

Genex Ally Remote,

????,

Black Salvo,

Oilman,

Jinzo,

Hyper Synchron,

Battle Fader,

Attack Gainer

Spells:

Earthquake,

Magnet Circle Lv2,

Shield Crash,

Limiter Removal,

Crimson Hell Secure,

Mind Control,

Card Destruction,

Fires of Doomsday,

Break Draw!,

????,

????,

????

Traps:

Damage Condenser,

Damage Polarizer,

????,

Covering Fire,

Reanimation Wave,

Power Frame,

Red Screen,

????,

Roll Out!,

Panic Wave,

Revenge Return,

Solemn Judgement

Extra Deck:

Ally of Justice Catastor,

Ally of Justice Light Gazer,

Ally of Justice Field Marshall,

Ally of Justice Decisive Cannon,

Genex Ally Triarm,

????,

Red Dragon Archfiend

Record: Juruo (l), Vardus (l), Inpachi (w), Hirz (w), Yuma (l), Gear & Melanc (tag w/ Juruo, w), Hikari (w)

[spoiler=Hikari Shinobu]

Female, 16, Resistance Member

Previously covered her scarred body behind layers of leather armour, she has now taken to wearing short clothes and boxers bandages. Girl next door looks, with long brown hair and brown eyes.

Consumed by fear, anger and sorrow, Hikari found herself losing control to an alternative sub conscious that had developed inside of her, feeding off the negative feeling she was bottling inside her. In her new state, the normally shy and defensive Hikari was replaced by an outgoing girl who displayed the vicious scarring on her body, and wasn’t afraid to who speak her mind and get what she wanted. Her main desires; to exact revenge on those who had made her suffer, and to make Juruo her own.

Hikari was confronted by her mother Urusula, who had abandoned her and her adoptive father as a child to join Demon’s group as an assassin. Consumed by rage, Hikari unleashed the full force of her new Chaos deck upon her, using both light and dark monsters to annihilate her and almost an entire village. She then approached Juruo and forced herself onto him. He rejected her due to her change into this vindictive, compulsive person, and she lost her temper again, beating him to the brink of his life. In the end, Sabin was able to defeat her with his anti-light deck, and Hikari was able to overcome the darkness controlling her and cast it off forever.

Hikari is now in the void with Juruo and Hikari, searching for the Armageddon Bomb powering the Final Countdown, and the sorcerer Fygmorke who aims for total destruction.

[spoiler=Final Deck - Ultimate Light (37/45)]

Monsters:

????,

Aurkus Lightsworn Druid,

Celestia Lightsworn Angel,

Ehren Lightsworn Monk,

Garoth Lightsworn Warrior,

Jain Lightsworn Paladin,

Lumina Lightsworn Summoner,

Lyla Lightsworn Sorceress,

Rinyan Lightsworn Rogue,

Wulf Lightsworn Beast,

Fabled Ashenveil,

????,

Fabled Krus,

Fabled Lurrie,

Fabled Raven,

Fabled Soulkius,

Fabled Beast Cerburrel,

Fabled Beast Nozoochee,

????,

Necro Gardna,

Glow Up Bulb,

Trust Guardian,

Tuningware,

Honest

Spells:

Charge of the Light Brigade,

Lightsworn Sabre,

Lightwave Tuning,

Solar Recharge,

Monster Reincarnation,

Pot of Avarice,

????,

Soul of the Pure,

????

Traps:

Lightsworn Barrier,

Glorious Illusion,

Defence Draw,

Miracles Wake,

Spellbinding Circle,

Threatening Roar,

????,

????,

Synchro Spirits,

Synchro Strike,

????,

Pikeru’s Circle of Enchantment

Extra Deck:

Fabled Leviathan,

Fabled Valkyrus,

Fabled Ragin,

Ancient Sacred Wyvern,

Fabled Beast Kudabbi,

Fabled Beast Unicore,

Black Rose Dragon

[spoiler=Dark Hikari’s Chaos Deck - Light and Darkness]

Whilst under the influence of her darker self, Hikari used a Fabled World deck, exploiting two light and dark archtypes that make discarding an advantage. The deck also included several other powerful dark monsters, the unhappy girls, and a series of cards with names that relate to temptation and desire.

Monsters:

Fabled Urustos,

Fabled Gallabas,

Fabled Raven,

Fabled Lurrie,

Fabled Dianaira,

Fabled Dwf,

Fabled Miztoji,

Fabled Beast Catsith,

Brron Mad King of Dark World,

Sillva Warlord of Dark World,

Goldd Wu-Lord of Dark World,

Broww Huntsman of Dark World,

Gren Tactician of Dark World,

Kahkki Guerilla of Dark World,

Chaos Sorcerer,

The Unhappy Maiden,

The Unhappy Girl,

Glow-Up Bulb,

Battle Fader,

Dark Dragon Lord Van’Dalgyon

Spells:

Exchange,

Card Destruction,

Dark Eruption,

Pot of Avarice,

One for One,

Dark World Dealings,

Footsteps of the Goddess,

Temptation of the Goddess

Traps:

Raigeki Break,

Depth Amulet,

The Golden Apples,

Floral Shield,

Card of Sacrifice,

Dark Bribe

Extra Deck:

Fabled Leviathan,

Fabled Valkyrus,

Fabled Ragin,

Fabled Beast Kudabbi,

Fabled Beast Unicore,

Chaos Goddess,

Black Rose Dragon

Record: Alpha & Omega (tag w/ Juruo, w), Dark Knight (w), Erin (l), Urusula (w), Gauntlet Match (Juruo, w, Sabin, l)

[spoiler=Yuma Akinsa-Jackson]

Female, 17, Student

Slim and tanned body, complimented by black dress and silky gloves. Has dark brown eyes, and long black hair that usually has a flower in. Has a fondness for accessories like necklaces and wristlets.

Yuma joined the group as a shy and secretive girl with an aura of mystery surrounding her. She always seemed to be aware of what was going on, although she wouldn’t explain how she knew or about the strange powers she seemed to possess. Eventually she was exposed as a signer who had been chosen at birth, and was protected by the spirits of monsters in her deck that gave her knowledge and made her deck float, as opposed to any supernatural power of her own. Yuma’s inner power comes from her infinite love, free spirit, and belief in anything being possible, which makes it easy for her to interact and trust the duel spirits and they trust her in kind.

For a while Yuma chose to stay on the sidelines and support the other more battle hardened signers in their duels, but she could not stay protected forever. Her dragon, Ancient Fairy Dragon, bought her into the spirit world to prepare her for the battles that only she could face, against her uncle Demon. At the same time she got together with Sabin, after seeing the person that was deep down beneath his rough outer shell.

Yuma faced her uncle in a duel to activate the gateway to another dimension, where they had to go to have a chance of saving the world from Armageddon. The duel started slowly, with Demon passing comment that neither of them were duelling with all their strength and heart. That changed when he was taken control of by a monster placed in his deck by Fygmorke, and he attacked her relentlessly. Yuma fought back and managed to retrieve all the cards of Exodia in her hand. The energy from this duel and the two colliding forces finally activated the portal through which Juruo, Sabin and Hikari could escape through. Yuma was not so lucky, as Demon stopped her and dragged her to her fate.

[spoiler=Final Deck - World of Magic]

Monsters:

Exodia the Forbidden One,

Left Arm of the Forbidden One,

Right Arm of the Forbidden One,

Left Leg of the Forbidden One,

Right Leg of the Forbidden One,

Dragon Queen of Tragic Endings,

Regulus,

Endymion the Master Magician,

Breaker the Magical Warrior,

Defender the Magical Knight,

Magical Marionette,

Royal Magical Library,

Tuned Magician,

Krebons,

Effect Veiler

Spells:

Clock Tower Prison,

Magical Citadel of Endymion,

Mirage of Nightmare,

Monster Reincarnation,

Super Double Summon,

Magical Dimension,

Emergency Teleport,

Spell Power Grasp,

Miracle Synchro Fusion,

Spirit Messages I-N-A-L

Traps:

Crown of the Empress,

The High Priestess’ Staff,

Waboku,

Magician’s Circle,

Miracle’s Wake,

Eternal Dread,

Ancient Sunshine,

Damage Translation,

Backup Soldiers,

Destiny Board

Extra Deck:

Arcanite Magician,

Supreme Arcanite Magician,

Ancient Fairy Dragon

Record: Sabin (w), Garlandolf (w), Demon (no contest)

[spoiler=Luca Vaquez]

Male, 15, part of Dominik’s new Resistance movement

Athletic, dark blue eyes, blonde hair pushed forward into a strange spike style. Since the end of the battle, now wears a padded blue riding suit.

Luca’s fighting spirit and heroic nature shown battling against the Emperor was seen by the Black Winged Dragon in its search for a Signer, thus it bestowed upon him its powers in the hope he could champion one more fight against the forces of Armageddon. Undaunted by the sudden, enormous task being thrust upon him, Luca took up the challenge and joined the other signers heading for Glamisery. He appreciated his new responsibility, but was still upbeat throughout the journey and supported the others.

When the group arrived at the castle, Luca was trapped in a duelling arena and forced to face his lifelong friend and partner Tyrana in a duel with the lives of the others at stake, but the loser of the match would almost certainly be killed instead. Luca convinced Tyrana that neither of them should force their own sacrifice on the other, and that the best duelist on the day would survive. However with time running out for the others and unable to bear the torment anymore, Tyrana sacrificed herself so Luca won the match. Driven berserk by grief, furious that the Crimson Dragon had abandoned her, Luca renounced his signer-hood and tore the Black Winged Dragon card in half.

[spoiler=Final Deck - Flooded Hand]

Monsters:

Abyss Soldier,

Deep Sea Diva,

Spined Gillman,

Mermaid Archer,

Cyber Shark,

Salvage Warrior,

Gale Lizard,

Hyper Hammerhead,

Reese the Ice Mistress,

Fishborg Blaster,

Treeborn Frog,

Yaksha

Spells:

Giant Trunade,

Cup of Ace,

Surfacing,

Divine Chalice,

Grief Tablet,

Big Wave Small Wave,

Variety Comes Out

Traps:

A Hero Emerges,

Poseidon Waves,

Compulsory Evacuation Device,

Insurance,

Treasure Map,

Fish Depth Charge,

Break Tune,

Half Shield,

Synchro Overlimit

Extra Deck:

Sea Dragon Lord Gishilnodon,

Brionac Dragon of Ice Barrier,

Black Winged Dragon

Record: Samurai & Barbarian (tag w/ Tyrana, w), Nero (handicap w/ Tyrana & Dominik, w), Tyrana (w)

[spoiler=Tyrana Sauro]

Female, 15, part of Dominik’s new Resistance movement

Punk look with eyebrow, ear and belly piercings, spiky red hair with swooping fringe, and red eyes. Since the end of the battle, now wears a red shirt and brown engineer’s overalls.

Never giving up and putting others before herself in her fight against the Empire were the ideal qualities of a signer in the eyes of the Life Stream Dragon, whose search for a champion to fight the forces of Armageddon was ended by finding Tyrana. Although unsure, perhaps overwhelmed by the task she had been charged with, Tyrana was a little more reluctant to go than partner Luca. However, after saving Melanc’s life, she realised the responsibility she had, and the joy of preserving life. She vowed that she would face the enemies of the world that came across them, and do what she needed to do to win.

She would never get to take part in the fight. Captured in a trap set up in the castle, she was forced to duel Luca, otherwise the other signers would drown. Also, the winner of the duel would condemn their opponent to that fate instead. The duo agreed to duel honourably, but both hesitated to finish the other they were so deeply connected to. With the group about to be fully entombed and no other options available, Tyrana threw the duel so that Luca and the others would be safe. Powerless to help her in the aura sapping arena, her dragon could only watch and mourn for the brave warrior who would do anything to save her friends lives, even if it meant sacrificing her own.

[spoiler=Final Deck - Jurrac Roar]

Monsters:

Jurrac Guiaba,

Jurrac Velo,

Jurrac Dino,

Jurrac Iguanon,

Jurrac Tyrannus,

Jurrac Herra,

Jurrac Monoloph,

Jurrac Gallim,

Jurrac Aeolo,

Jurrac Titano,

Battle Fader,

Card Trooper

Spells:

Fossil Dig,

Raise Body Heat,

Unstable Evolution,

Akashic Record,

Big Evolution Pill,

Tail Swipe,

Dino Blast,

Synchro Boost,

United We Stand

Traps:

Survival Instinct,

Hunting Instinct,

Fossil Excavation,

Defenders Intersect,

Chain Arrow,

Half Shield,

Urgent Tuning

Extra Deck:

Jurrac Meteor,

Jurrac Giganoto,

Life Stream Dragon

Record: Samurai & Barbarian (tag w/ Luca, w), Nero (handicap w/ Luca & Dominik, w), Luca (l)

Demon’s Group

[spoiler=Demon]

(Real name: Dravir Jackson)

Male, 35, formerly advisor to the Emperor, and full time villain

Gaunt, skeletal face, with blank eyes and spiky black hair. Covers his body for the most part, in a black leather coat, similar to that of Jinzo.

Seen as the face of evil for so long, as an all powerful and almost invincible fiend in full control of the chaos and destruction gripping the world, the signers were amazed to find Demon lying bloody and beaten in front of the archway hidden in Glamisery Castle. What was even more shocking was the turn of events that he revealed to them, and the details of his past.

Demon told the signers that he had been cursed since birth, by his own father. This curse made him suffer constant mental pain, which translated into real physical pain during his recurrent nightmares of being attacked by terrifying monsters. It also stopped him from dying, thwarting his continual attempts to end his life and his torture. This was part of a scheme to make Demon bitter, twisted, and hateful of this world, and happily willingly to accept the escape Fygmorke offered him, the Utopia which turned out to be a deception. Demon had been used for his technological brilliance to create the Armageddon Bomb, as well as a distraction from the true villain.

Demon had tried and failed to take revenge on his father and had now given up all hope, thinking that although Utopia was a lie, he would still find peace in nothingness. His niece Yuma however managed to convince him to duel for her sake. They fought in order to open the portal to another dimension, where Fygmorke and the bomb were and had to be stopped. Throughout the duel Demon’s behaviour was off, until she defeated him. It was at that point a card of Fygmorke’s took control of him. Yuma managed to summon Exodia, but before she could escape from the imminent destruction the conflicting powers of the two monsters were creating, Demon stopped her, and pulled her into the abyss with him.

[spoiler=Final Deck - Final Ritual]

Monsters:

Demise King of Armageddon,

Ruin Queen of Oblivion,

Dark Jeroid,

Newdoria,

Giant Germ,

Relinquished,

Djinn Cursechanter of Rituals,

Djinn Presider of Rituals,

Djinn Releaser of Rituals,

Djinn Disserere of Rituals,

Senju of the Thousand Hands,

Sonic Bird,

Ritual Raven,

Chainsaw Insect,

Mysterious Puppeteer,

Vice Berserker,

Stygian Security,

Dark Tinker,

Infernity Zero

Spells:

End of the World,

Spell Absorption,

The Dark Door,

Gold Sarcophagus,

Allure of Darkness,

One for One,

Card Destruction,

Contract with the Abyss,

Shrink,

Dark World Lightning,

Dark World Shackles,

Axe of Despair

Traps:

Altar for Tribute,

Draining Shield,

Call of the Haunted,

Cursed Prison,

Hate Buster,

Ominous Fortunetelling

Extra Deck:

Stygian Sergeants,

Dark Highlander,

Crimson Mefist

Record: Vardus (w), Juruo (w), Barakus (d), Yuma (unknown)

[spoiler=Erin Kazoku]

Female, 18, former Resistance General turned Demon’s ally

Tall, slim body, with very pale skin and long blue hair. Physique made more intimidating by her bulky cloak, along with tight blue shirt and trousers, and knee high heeled boots.

The last few days of Armageddon have been tough on Erin. All she ever wanted from Utopia was a place where she and her brother Melanc could be free from the harsh oppression of the Empire which had taken everything from them. The Empire has since fallen, and now her little brother, as far as she knows, is dead, having been killed duelling against her love Juruo. Erin herself had been locked in the castle dungeons by Fygmorke due to her rebellious attitude and fury that Mel was being used at all in his and Demon’s schemes.

Whilst she was rotting in her depression, she was released from her cell by the panic-stricken Raesir and Gear. They informed her that Demon and Fygmorke were fighting each other like savage enemies, and they needed her help. Despite her intense dislike of the two, she agreed to a truce with them and to help them, with revenge against those who had delivered Mel to his death at the front of her mind. As to how she will react to seeing Juruo again, she may only know for sure when she does.

According to Demon, Erin is now in the void searching for Fygmorke.

[spoiler=Deck 2 - Black Ice (31/42)]

Monsters:

Ice Master,

Dragon Ice,

????,

General Gantala,

????,

Pilgrim of the Ice Barrier,

Cryomancer of the Ice Barrier,

Dewdark of the Ice Barrier,

Defender of the Ice Barrier,

Spellbreaker of the Ice Barrier,

Samurai of the Ice Barrier,

????,

Royal Knight of the Ice Barrier,

Blizzed of the Ice Barrier,

Plaguespreader Zombie,

Blizzard Lizard,

????,

????,

Necro Gardna,

Darksea Rescue,

Darksea Float,

????

Spells:

Cold Wave,

Magic Triangle of Ice Barrier,

Ice Mirror,

Ice Age Panic,

Moray of Greed,

????,

Monster Reborn,

One for One,

Dragged Down to the Grave,

????

Traps:

Magic Cylinder,

Frozen Soul,

Damage Polarizer,

????,

Limit Reverse,

Proof of Powerlessness,

????,

Reckless Greed,

Torrential Tribute,

????

Extra Deck:

????,

Brionac Dragon of the Ice Barrier,

Gungnir Dragon of the Ice Barrier,

Trishula Dragon of the Ice Barrier,

Frozen Fitzgerald

Record: Raesir (l), Raesir (w), Hikari (w)

[spoiler=Raesir Eld]

Male, 17, Demon’s ally

Shorter than the others, but stocky body with swirling blue tattoos on arms and face. Wild fire red hair, held up by a bandana. Wears a red sleeveless jacket exposing his tattoos, and black shirt and jeans.

Having fallen out of favour after allowing the signers to escape, Fygmorke reduced Raesir to little more than a dogsbody about the castle, preparing their defences against the inevitable arrival of the signers and, strangely given what he was in trouble for, looking after new prisoner Erin. The hot-headed duelist had previously had a fierce rivalry with the ice queen, but he found the infighting foolish when looking at the bigger picture of securing Utopia.

Knowing something was badly wrong having discovered Demon and Fygmorke fighting against each other under the archway to the void like fierce enemies; Raesir got Gear and released Erin from her cell, hoping she would be able to help them. According to Demon, this group found him just after he had been defeated and Fygmorke, who had used and betrayed them all, had passed through the portal. Raesir is in the void now searching for the sorcerer.

[spoiler=Final Deck - Hell Fire Burn]

Monsters:

Flamvell Archer,

Flamvell Baby,

Flamvell Commando,

Flamvell Dragnov,

Flamvell Firedog,

Flamvell Grunika,

Infernity Destroyer,

Summoner Monk,

Solar Flare Dragon

Spells:

Magical Stone Excavation,

Rekindling,

Soul of Fire,

Inferno Reckless Summon

Traps:

Backfire,

Level Retuner,

Bottomless Trap Hole,

Flamvell Counter

Extra Deck:

Flamvell Uruquizas

Record: Erin (w), Erin (l)

[spoiler=Gear Roberts]

Male, 22, Demon’s ally

Lanky body half reconstructed with robotics, right arm is mechanical, has a LSU implanted in chest exposed under his open leather riding jacket. Has a long mess of brown hair, and is unshaven.

Sent after the signers, Gear found the group whilst crossing a gorge in the Empire. At first he tried to shove them into the chasm, but failing that he was ordered by a voice that was then new and disturbing to the signers that he could only defeat them, kill them in a duel. The possessed Melanc was sent over to help him in this mission, and together they faced Juruo and Sabin. Gear had the opportunity to win the match, but driven by his hatred of Juruo after his father’s dragon maimed him and put him in his half cybernetic state, he went for the overkill and wasted his chance. Mel would sacrifice himself before he got another opportunity to correct his error.

Fygmorke was not impressed with his actions. Having been rescued, Gear was charged with preparing the castle for the signer’s arrival in order to delay and maim them as much as possible so Armageddon would be secured. It was during these preparations that Raesir came to him in panic, having discovered Demon fighting Fygmorke. Sensing something was badly wrong; they decided to release the prisoner Erin and work together to find out what was happening. They discovered Demon lying bloody and broken in front of the open portal to the void, and were revealed to the truth about Fygmorke’s deception. Gear is in the void with the others now, under orders to stop the sorcerer.

[spoiler=Final Deck - War Gear]

Monsters:

Karakuri Merchant Inashichi,

Karakuri Bushi Muzanichiha,

Karakuri Soldier Nisamu,

Karakuri Ninja Kuick,

Karakuri Muso Haipa,

Karakuri Ninja Nanashick,

Karakuri Strategist Nishipashi,

Karakuri Watchdog Saizan,

Needle Soldier

Spells:

Karakuri Cash Cache,

Golden Gearbox,

Enemy Controller

Traps:

Call of the Haunted,

Urgent Tuning,

Karakuri Trick House,

Karakuri Cash Shed,

Discord

Extra Deck:

Karakuri Shogun Burei,

Scrap Dragon

Record: Juruo (no contest), Juruo & Sabin (tag w/ Melanc, l)

[spoiler=Urusula Aracnis]

Female, 32, Demon’s ally

Has long, dirty blonde hair. Wears a revealing green dress and black lace gloves, that fail to distract from her veiny skin and black, insect like eyes.

One of the longest serving followers of Demon and his aim to reach Utopia, Urusula abandoned her husband and daughter to join his cause and was given the role of an assassin, taking out those who could pose a threat to Demons plans using her mutant powers. Her powers being her control of the swarms of insects that live within her own body. Urusula revelled in making people suffer, for she had suffered much due to her looks when she was younger and endured many horrors.

Those horrors included being raped as a teenager, and becoming a single mother to her baby girl. They were taken in by the sympathetic Maverus, a simple tailor who became the girl’s adoptive father. The girls name was Hikari, and after her mother disappeared around the same time as other duelists were arrested and killed, she grew up to become a rebel against the Empire, then against Demon and his allies. All this led up to mother and daughter being reunited in a duel against each other. Both went all out to destroy each other, as Urusula claimed she would wipe off the stain on her life so she could reach her perfect world, whereas the at the time possessed darker Hikari went out for revenge for her suffering.

Hikari won the duel with her new Dark World monsters, destroying her mother as well as almost the entire village. After the signers left Urusula managed to contact the castle, only to be abandoned by Fygmorke and left to her fate at the claws and teeth of a Red Eyes Black Dragon.

[spoiler=Deck - Insect Swarm]

Monsters:

Aztekiped the Worm Warrior,

Koa’ki Meiru Beetle,

Cross Sword Beetle,

Grasschopper,

Infernity Beetle,

Sangan

Spells:

Insect Imitation,

Fissure

Traps:

Needlebug Nest,

Lair Wire

Extra Deck:

Underground Arachnid

Record: Hikari (l)

[spoiler=Fygmorke]

Male, over 300, sorcerer

Entire body and face shrouded in thick purple robes, only allowing his glowing purple eyes to peer through the darkness, and the rotting, gnarled hand that clasps to his walking staff

Demon revealed to the signers that Fygmorke was behind everything that had happened, that he was the one who had truly set Armageddon into motion. Not to reach Utopia, but for complete annihilation. A powerful sorcerer who is apparently over three hundred years old, Fygmorke manipulated him and his allies from the shadows, using them as his puppets for his goals. When he confronted him, he was defeated in a duel and left for dead with his own sword, as Fygmorke passed through the archway to make sure no-one could stop his grand design to bring the world to an end.

It is known that Fygmorke uses the Infernity archtype, as he has planted his cards in the decks of the likes of Demon and Mel in order to possess them. Upon the defeat of the respective duelists, the cards then return to their master.

Supporting Characters

[spoiler=Melanc Kazoku]

Male, 10, original Resistance member

Shorter than most his age, with anime spiky blue hair. Wears a red shirt and baggy green shorts.

Originally one of the five surviving members travelling the Empire to stop Demon collecting the Sacred Beast cards, Mel idolised the other duelists. However when they were captured at Glamisery Castle, Erin had him locked up separately from the others, and they had no time to find him before they could escape. They however left safe in the knowledge she would let no harm befall him.

The next time the group saw Mel, he was under the control of a darkness similar to what had been seen during duels against Carla and Osborn. He was forced to tag duel with Gear against Juruo and Sabin, and had received a new deck, the cards of which mostly involved sacrificing themselves to activate their effects. Juruo and Sabin were on the brink of defeat until Mel managed to break free of the darkness for a few seconds; giving Juruo the opportunity to attack and begging him to take it so he could be released. The consequence of a massive amount of damage all at once on his young mind and body stopped his heart for almost five minutes. Tyrana just managed to revive him, after Gear had been teleported away.

Back with the party, Mel travelled with the others so he could be reunited with Erin and confront her about her choices, as well as helping out in any way he could. His journey came to a stop short of his goal as he was charged with the task of looking after the despairing Luca in the wake of Tyrana’s death.

[spoiler=Deck - Sacrificial Soul]

Monsters:

Second Booster,

Exiled Force,

Infernity Avenger,

Gear-Gearano,

Zero Gardna

Spells:

Hand Destruction,

Share the Pain,

Junk Barrage

Traps:

Scrap Iron Scarecrow,

Scrap Iron Barricade,

Scrap Iron Pitfall

Record: Seishin (l), Juruo & Sabin (tag w/ Gear, l)

[spoiler=Dominik Hope]

Male, 21, former guard turned vigilante, and leader of the new resistance

Athletic body, wearing his black and gold riding suit at most times. Has maroon hair spiked in a sharp S, and grey eyes.

After achieving his goal of defeating the Empire with the help of Luca, Tyrana, and thousands of civilians he had convinced to arms, Dominik had hoped the world would be safe. Alas this was not to be, as not only did the ring of fires in the sky not disappear, but word reached the capital from its neighbouring towns that legions were marching towards them. Legions of undead.

Whilst the signers were getting ready to take care of the problem of Demon and Armageddon, Dominik set off alone to try to do something about the zombie army that was rapidly forming outside the city walls. Rumours had come to him about a mysterious rider crossing the country from the east, heading towards the capital without wavering from his course. Dominik’s bad feeling about these rumours was realised as the rider revealed himself to be the leader of the army, and that he intended to lay waste to the city and its population who had abused the duel monsters at his command.

With a new found faith in his deck Dominik managed to defeat the rider, whose duel runner exploded just short of reaching its destination. Seemingly released from the control of its leader, the creatures lost their discipline and fought amongst themselves, leaving the city alone. Dominik returned the next morning to find his sister Carla safe, but the fires of Armageddon still burning strong overhead.

[spoiler=Turbo Deck - Turbo Vigilante]

Monsters:

Tech Genus Striker,

Tech Genus Rush Rhino,

Tech Genus Cyber Magician,

Tech Genus Catapult Dragon,

Tech Genus Jet Falcon,

Tech Genus Warwolf,

Tech Genus Gear Zombie,

Turbo Booster,

Synchro Soldier,

Cosmic Compass,

Gallis the Star Beast,

Unibird

Speed Spells:

Vision Wind,

High Speed Crash,

Tune Up 123,

Overspeed

Traps:

Spirit Force,

Battle Stun Sonic,

Destruct Potion,

TG-SX1,

TG1-EN1,

TGX3-DX2,

Shining Silver Force,

Double Type Rescue

Extra Deck:

Formula Synchron,

Tech Genus Power Gladiator,

Tech Genus Hyper Librarian,

Tech Genus Wonder Magician,

Tech Genus Recipro Dragonfly,

Tech Genus Halberd Cannon

Record: Nero (Handicap w/ Luca & Tyrana, w), XYZ (w)

[spoiler=XYZ]

(Real name: Unknown)

No known information

An undead, with a thin battered skull of a head. Wears a tight black riding suit with bone armour and a purple cloak over it.

The mysterious rider without a name, branded as XYZ by Dominik due to the logos on his duel runner uniform. There is not a lot that is known about him, other than what he told his opponent during their high stakes turbo duel. He claimed he was once a turbo duelist, who after death found himself in a place one might call Hell, inhabited by duel monsters that he saw summoned and slain in an endless cycle. Now no longer human, he returned to this world to lead an army of these monsters against those who made them suffer; possibly for power, but in his words also for his own redemption.

XYZ’s duel runner looks old and battered, but is enchanted by supernatural powers beyond modern human technology. He easily outpaced Dominik, and during their duel he was able to add a stipulation that if he reached the maximum of twelve speed counters, his engine would hit its overdrive and be gone in a blink, leaving Dominik a burning corpse in its wake. He also used a type of monster his opponent had never seen before - Xyz monsters - who could be easily summoned from the extra deck and used the monsters used for their summoning as ammunition for their effects. Upon his defeat, the engine overloaded and exploded, killing XYZ and leaving the mindless hordes of zombies waiting outside the capital without a leader.

[spoiler=Turbo Deck - New Era]

Monsters:

Delta Flyer,

Giant Germ,

Dandylion,

Silent Strider,

Cyber Dragon,

Wind-Up Dog

Speed Spells:

Angel Baton,

Overboost,

Zero Reverse

Traps:

Half or Nothing,

Damage Eraser,

Emperor’s Surge,

Reinforced Space,

Xyz Effect

Extra Deck:

Grenosaurus,

No 83 Galaxy Queen,

Adreus Keeper of Armageddon

Record: Dominik (l)

[spoiler=Garlandolf]

No known information

A humanoid beast with a tall and muscular body covered in thick blue fur, spikes produce from it in places, otherwise naked. Red eyes shine from under a silver mask.

A duel spirit and the weaker cousin of Demise and Ruin, Garlandolf was selected by Ancient Fairy Dragon as a training opponent for the inexperienced Yuma. He appeared to revel in the madness that Demon was throwing the world into and the destruction to come, and took great pleasure in Yuma’s pain. He was defeated by her and purpose served, he was eradicated by the light of Ancient Fairy Dragon.

[spoiler=Deck - Devil Beast Ritual]

Monsters:

Garlandolf King of Destruction,

Lycanthrope,

Dekoichi Battlechanted Locomotive,

Bokoichi Freightening Car,

Archfiend Marmot of Nefariousness,

Souls of the Forgotten,

Summoned Skull,

Zoa

Spells:

Advanced Ritual Art,

Machine Duplication,

Thousand Energy,

Preparation for Rites,

Ritual Cage

Traps:

Human Wave Tactics,

Strike Slash,

Threatening Roar

Record: Yuma (l)

[spoiler=Warren Oestlund]

Male, mid forties, temporarily in charge of Sen’nenki no Toride’s military.

Neat and trim appearance with combed, greying hair and moustache. Quite lean for most soldiers.

An old soldier in the army of the Empire and an older friend of Dominik’s father, Warren immediately joined the young man’s cause to bring down the Empire he had been forced to commit atrocities in the name of. He survived the battle of the palace, and with Pallas Goldberg placed in temporary charge of the city and Dominik having to leave due to a hunch about the threat growing upon the capital, he was placed in charge of the city’s remaining military forces as it was faced with the zombie army that was gathering outside the walls.

Warren also knew the fathers of Juruo and Sabin from when they met during the Great War against Ascorsa. To see the sons of his friends fighting together was a touching moment for the old warrior.

[spoiler=The Signer Dragons]

No known information

See cards

The six servants of the Crimson Dragon whose main duty is to fight against the Earthbound Immortals every 5000 years, the signer dragons found themselves in the possession of Eternia, who sought to use their might against Juruo. After she disappeared their spirits were released, and were immediately called upon by the spirit world as the last desperate hope against this new threat; the Final Countdown that has appeared in their sky as well as the human world.

The signer dragons have assembled in a temple to the Crimson Dragon in the duel monster world for the final battle against the forces that are seeking total destruction, where Ancient Fairy Dragon informed the others that she had seen firsthand the effects of the Final Countdown that may be irreversible. From there, the spirits of Stardust Dragon, Red Dragon Archfiend and Black Rose Dragon passed through the void with their signers, to aid them in their battle against Fygmorke. All of the signer dragons appear capable of telepathic speech.

Now the questionnaire bit. This questionnaire is 40 questions, although many are two part, and you can be as open and closed as you like with your answers. I really do prefer reasons for your answers rather than just one words answers though, they don't help. This was bad. Well, why? What would make it better, etc.

It doesn't matter if you've posted in this thread once, ten times, after every chapter or never, I really would appreciate as much feedback as possible, and will award reps for doing so. You do not have to answer every question if you can't think of anything. Some of you are aware that I have suggested that I am thinking up ideas for a second fic, so I really want as many opinions and as much advice on how I can improve my writing and make the next one the best it can be.

[spoiler=Yu-Gi-Oh! Armageddon Questionnaire]

Characters

1. Best Hero (Juruo, Sabin, Hikari, Yuma, Melanc, Luca, Tyrana, Dominik), why, and the worst?

2. Best Villain (Demon, Erin, Raesir, Gear, Urusula, Alpha & Omega, Nero, Fygmorke), why, and the worst?

3. Best supporting character and why? Worst?

4. Which character(s) developed the most over the course of the story, and the least?

5. Was there enough interaction between the characters? Did they grow together sufficiently?

6. Was there enough balance between character development and duel action?

7. Were the descriptions of characters physical appearances good, bad, or indifferent?

8. Did the end arc bio’s help, were they informative to read and surmise events?

Settings

1. Were the city areas well detailed and atmospheric?

2. Were the village and countryside areas well detailed and atmospheric?

3. Were the other areas well detailed and atmospheric (Glamisery, Seishin’s Temple, The Void)?

4. Were the descriptions of locations overall good, bad, or indifferent?

5. Was the variety of areas too much, just right, or insufficient?

6. Was the mood of each setting well established and appropriate?

Plot

1. Did you enjoy the original Resistance vs Oppressors plot element? Was it a good starting place for a story?

2. Did you enjoy the then overall ‘stop the end of the world’ plot element that came from the above? Was it too cliché or predictable in places?

3. Did you understand it all? Was everything explained, written in enough detail?

4. Was there enough balance between plot development and duel action?

5. Was there enough variety in the story with the different side plots and other threads?

6. Personal highlights of the story?

7. Personal lowlights of the story?

Duels

1. Were the duels enjoyable as a whole? Were they gripping to read just in terms of the card games, irrespective of situations? Where they often predictable or unpredictable?

2. What about the implications some of these duels had, the other stuff on the line and the consequences of winning and losing? Good, bad, indifferent, different, stupid?

3. Was the mix of decks, archtypes and strategies good?

4. Was the mix of cards good? Would you have preferred more staple Meta cards?

5. Were the duels too slow or fast for your liking?

6. Was there enough in-duel interaction between duelists?

7. Best deck?

8. Best duel?

9. Were the ‘end of round’ summaries helpful or unnecessary? Same question for hyperlinks to Yugioh Wiki?

Storytelling

1. In your opinion, was this story well written? Was it easy to read?

2. Was the language used good for you and easy for you to understand?

3. Was the pace of the story too fast, too slow, or just right? Did everything get covered sufficiently?

4. Did you, at any point reading this story, cry? (Be honest...)

5. Did you, at any point reading this story, feel genuinely angry for the characters? (Meaning because you were sharing the characters anger, not angry at me stuffing up)

6. Did you, at any point reading this story, feel genuinely elated for a character(s)?

And Finally...

1. Is there anything else you would like to have seen in the plot, or an existing plot thread you would have liked to have more of?

2. Are there any additional duels you would like to see after this story is completed (providing the world doesn’t indeed end and everyone killed to death)?

3. If/When I write another fanfic, is there any advice you can give about things I need to work on?

4. If/When I write another fanfic, any decks/archtypes you’d like to see?

5. Any additional comments about anything related to this fanfic.

Thank you for everything and see you all Monday for the beginning of the end. Chapter 61 - Into The Unknown, the start of the final battles.

Characters

1. Sabin was the best I think. He's funny, but not as a comic relief character, because you can still take him seriously and he's probably the 2nd best duelist in the group after Juruo. Worst was probably Dominik for me. Not because he wasn't likable, but he didn't nearly have as much exposition as everyone else. To be honest, I'm still unsure whether his character was necessary to begin with (probably forgetting an important plot point, but eh).

2. I think Urusula was my favorite villain. A personal tie with one of the cast always gets attention, no matter how cliche, and she had a lot of traits to her: sexual deviant, creepy, remorseful, she was very complex. Worst villains? I think Fygmorke. Not because of your writing, but because of the type of villain he is. No remorse, and his motives being nothing besides CUZ IM EVIL, BWAHAHA, though those villains are easy to write (guilty).

3. I personally liked Barakus. I can't remember anything specific (sorry v_v) but he had a good air about him and I felt bad when he died fighting Demon. Can't think of a worst.

4. I guess Hikari was the most radical. She had so much shizz going on and she's kindasortanotreallybutstill different from how she was at the start. Least is Yuma I guess? I like her more now than before, but I don't think she had much aside from Sabin.

5. I think so, yeah. I don't ever remember going "Since when are they THAT friendly?" at any point, so I'm leaning toward you doing it in a natural flow.

6. Yeah, there were enough duels to give it action and enough times to give me a break (since sometimes reading a lot of duels in a row can get repetitive), that balance is a strong point of Armageddon in my book.

7. Here's the weird thing about the characters. For some reason, I ended up picturing each character as someone from the actual YGO franchise, with their respective hair and eye colors.

Juruo-Bruno

Sabin-Bastion

Hikari-Alexis

Yuma-Ishizu

Demon-...this isn't your fault, but it flip flops between the Exodia Rare Hunter and the Short Moon Guy Rare Hunter.

8. I'll be honest, I've only really skimmed those, but from what I can gather, yes.

Settings

1. Yeah, I could picture them well enough.

2. My favorite environments being the ones wherever Gear showed up.

3. I think so? (Memory's hazy)

4. You're good at description, Matt.

5. I never felt anything off from it, so just right?

6. Yeah, you never really struggled with setting the mood.

Plot

1. Actually, I had a hard time getting into it at first. Not that it was bad, just not the most interesting. But then it got good. Really good. So looking back, the plot was fine aside from a slow beginning.

2. Yeah, because so much awesome crap happened during it. I mean, the typical saving the world from evil bwahaha villain may be cliche, but I don't really see cliches as something bad. The story is a good one, so who cares if it's been done before? I haven't seen it like this and I'm enjoying it, so what's the problem? Also, I'm not the best at predicting things, so you at least threw me a few surprises :T

3. Yes, any details that I may be forgetting is because they were early on and I don't remember that far, but that's the disadvantage any story has that isn't complete all at once.

4. Didn't you ask this already .-. Answer's yes

5. It all worked well for me, yeah.

6. The characters seemed human and their own unique selves. And I never thought I'd experience that in a flipping fanfic.

7. The whole Signer thing =P

Duels

1. Again, casual player talking here, but yeah, duels were fine by me. I remember some duels like Barakus and Demon or the whole Hikari fiasco being gripping, others being kinda dull, can't remember specifically, but overall they've been hits over misses.

2. Ehh, honestly indifferent. I mean, Luca and Tyrana's situation was definitely suspenseful, but those duels only seemed that way to me when approaching the climax of an arc, like Juruo vs Demon or Luca and Tyrana vs The Emperor.

3. Decks and archetypes, yeah. Strategies, I wouldn't know v.v

4. The cards worked for me, and you managed to avoid overusing certain cards like the anime does.

5. Nah, they were finely paced for me.

6. Yeah, I think so.

7. Mehhh Juruo's, I guess. No particular fave.

8. No one favorite, but I liked Juruo vs Demon, every duel Hikari was in from Urusula to Sabin, Luca/Tyrana vs Emperor, Juruo vs Gear (1st time), Luca vs Tyrana, Yuma vs Demon, Barakus vs Demon, annnd that's all from the top of my mind.

9. The turn summaries were helpful because there were times where I'd take a break from reading, then remember what turn I was on and then refresh myself before continuing. Wikis, yes for images, but for effects, I just read the story.

Storytelling

1. Yes, you are well deserving of Best Writer, if not Saber, and I can only hope I can reach your level of prowess.

2. Yup.

3. I think it moved okay. It might have been a little rushed right before Armageddon started since finding the Sacred Beasts were kind of easy, but otherwise fine,

4. Nah. I did feel sad when Tyrana died though. (I don't cry easily).

5. I was angry with Hikari's whole mess. I feel like she should have been treated better and I'm still hoping she ends up with Juruo. Stupid Dark Hikari. Oh, and Erin turning traitor was a wtferin to me.

6. I felt kinda elated that Juruo and Erin found something, but that didn't last long.

And Finally...

1. JuruoxHikari :T

2. Sabin vs Melanc. Because.

3. At the end of the day, keep doing what you're doing and take any criticism in stride as you've always done.

4. Honestly? Blue Eyes, Elemental Heroes, Blackwings. I am indeed a sucker for mainstream.

5. I just want the ending to be fitting and I want this to win Best FanFic. It's a good story and deserves recognition.

[spoiler=Characters]

1. Best Hero (Juruo, Sabin, Hikari, Yuma, Melanc, Luca, Tyrana, Dominik), why, and the worst?

Not hard to guess, but mine is Sabin. He has the most realistic portrayal and more extensive development, and a personality that is easy to relate to and like. Least favorite... well. I don't quite view either Melanc or Dominik as heroes / protagonists... if I had to include them, I'd say Dominik. He was shoehorned into a role that he shouldn't have been, in my opinion, and he was one of the reasons I didn't like the conclusion of the Nero plot all that much. Of the actual main cast, the Signers, I had no real qualms with any of them.

=============

2. Best Villain (Demon, Erin, Raesir, Gear, Urusula, Alpha & Omega, Nero, Fygmorke), why, and the worst?

Best villain (and in my view best overall character in the story) would have to be Erin. She's just awesome like that. Worst... eh. Raesir was alright, in the end... I have to say Gear, although I'm not really fond of Fygmorke, it remains to be seen what will be done with him.

=============

3. Best supporting character and why? Worst?

Worst would have to be Carla. She's one of your major flops in the story, I think. She presented you with awesome leverage for an extensive development arc and a very intriguing side plot, but you dumped her into a minor role, much like the actual anime tends to do with its supporting cast. Best, I think, is Barakus.

=============

4. Which character(s) developed the most over the course of the story, and the least?

Most development, Sabin and Hikari. Least... I'm not sure. Of those characters that were supposed to develop, I think everyone got their fair share, though some more than others. Maybe Mel. I wasn't convinced at all by his 'growth' during the Seishin battle.

=============

5. Was there enough interaction between the characters? Did they grow together sufficiently?

Yeah, more or less. There were some points where I thought there was enough room to explore the relationship between lesser-bonded Signers (Juruo and Yuma, Sabin and Hikari) further, but I had no complaints generally.

=============

6. Was there enough balance between character development and duel action?

There was, and since you generally followed the line of 'character development during duel' that I am fond of, it was quite good.

=============

7. Were the descriptions of characters physical appearances good, bad, or indifferent?

They were fine, most of the time.

=============

8. Did the end arc bio’s help, were they informative to read and surmise events?

They were a bit messy, but they were useful for a quick reference. I suggest organizing them a bit better, and using bold text to your advantage (see the Dead Zone Interludes).

[spoiler=Settings]

1. Were the city areas well detailed and atmospheric?

I think some of the lesser cities that were visited could've used a bit more description / background info etc.

=============

2. Were the village and countryside areas well detailed and atmospheric?

They were fine as far as I recall. Nothing extraordinary, but they worked.

=============

3. Were the other areas well detailed and atmospheric (Glamisery, Seishin’s Temple, The Void)?

Yeah, I especially liked Glamisery and Demon's stronghold. They were very detailed and described in such a way that hooked me into the experience.

=============

4. Were the descriptions of locations overall good, bad, or indifferent?

On an average level, I'd say they leaned to good. Can't say there were many times where I was complaining about not being able to picture the setting, so yeah.

=============

5. Was the variety of areas too much, just right, or insufficient?

Yeah, I enjoyed that the story went through such a great amount of unique places.

=============

6. Was the mood of each setting well established and appropriate?

I felt that sometimes the setting was molded to match the plot and the characters' emotions, when it could've been used to create some nice contrast.

[spoiler=Plot]

1. Did you enjoy the original Resistance vs Oppressors plot element? Was it a good starting place for a story?

Yeah, it was one of the things I really liked about the story originally, and was sad that it was mostly degraded into a secondary background element after Vardus' death.

=============

2. Did you enjoy the then overall ‘stop the end of the world’ plot element that came from the above? Was it too cliché or predictable in places?

Eh, until everyone became a Signer, it was fine.

=============

3. Did you understand it all? Was everything explained, written in enough detail?

Everything was fairly easy to understand as it was written.

=============

4. Was there enough balance between plot development and duel action?

At times, I felt that some duels were stalling the plot, and others weren't quite tied to it. I think that I'd have liked it if there was a little more plot development between duels.

=============

5. Was there enough variety in the story with the different side plots and other threads?

=============

6. Personal highlights of the story?

The rescue from the gallows, the break into the palace, Sabin's return, the revelation of Hikari's scars, Eternia vs Juruo (until the very end), and yes, the XYZ duel.

=============

7. Personal lowlights of the story?

Signers jumping into the picture. Dark Hikari was a little mehish, especially since it didn't, eventually, lead to anywhere much. The Nero conclusion was not the best.

[spoiler=Duels]

1. Were the duels enjoyable as a whole? Were they gripping to read just in terms of the card games, irrespective of situations? Where they often predictable or unpredictable?

This was varied - some duels were extremely well-written and intriguing, whereas others were borderline dull. Predictable? Sometimes I was even surprised with the outcome. Other times I could almost see every single play before it was made. But I do think they got better as the story progressed, with a few exceptions.

=============

2. What about the implications some of these duels had, the other stuff on the line and the consequences of winning and losing? Good, bad, indifferent, different, stupid?

Inconsistent. Sometimes they came off believable and exciting, other times predictable and dull. In the end the 'punishment' for victory / defeat mostly came through external factors rather than damage during the duel.

=============

3. Was the mix of decks, archtypes and strategies good?

Yeah, although some things just didn't make much sense, for example Tech Genus in such a setting was blehish.

=============

4. Was the mix of cards good? Would you have preferred more staple Meta cards?

Since most of the characters basically made do with what they could find / get, it was fine. Realistic, and added an element of excitement and surprise.

=============

5. Were the duels too slow or fast for your liking?

The pace in most of the duels was fine, though some dragged on unnecessarily in my view, such as Hikari vs Oz, and to some extent Sabin vs Hirz.

=============

6. Was there enough in-duel interaction between duelists?

For the most part, it was fine.

=============

7. Best deck?

Mm, Hikari's. Definitely, yeah.

=============

8. Best duel?

Juruo vs Eternia (up to the very end), Sabin vs Dark Hikari, Erin vs Hikari.

=============

9. Were the ‘end of round’ summaries helpful or unnecessary? Same question for hyperlinks to Yugioh Wiki?

They were generally useful, yes. Because I'm boss like that, I didn't really need the hyperlinks, but I strongly support some form of reference to the cards used existing.

[spoiler=Storytelling]

1. In your opinion, was this story well written? Was it easy to read?

Yes, otherwise I wouldn't be here answering this.

=============

2. Was the language used good for you and easy for you to understand?

It was fine.

=============

3. Was the pace of the story too fast, too slow, or just right? Did everything get covered sufficiently?

At some points I couldn't help but feel you cheapened out of things (Clara and Eternia say hi). And at other points I felt some things were there just for the sake of being there, without offering anything important. But this is also highly personal, and I think you did a decent job for a relatively complex plot.

=============

4. Did you, at any point reading this story, cry? (Be honest...)

Eh, no, but I don't cry generally, so...

=============

5. Did you, at any point reading this story, feel genuinely angry for the characters? (Meaning because you were sharing the characters anger, not angry at me stuffing up)

Hikari against Urusula is most prominent, but there were a few other instances as well.

=============

6. Did you, at any point reading this story, feel genuinely elated for a character(s)?

Yeah, I was rooting when Sabin finally got Yuma.

[spoiler=And Finally...]

1. Is there anything else you would like to have seen in the plot, or an existing plot thread you would have liked to have more of?

The conclusion to Eternia's plot is one of the things I'd definitely like to see. As long as it isn't bad, because I like Eternia.

=============

2. Are there any additional duels you would like to see after this story is completed (providing the world doesn’t indeed end and everyone killed to death)?

Eh. Like I said, Juruo vs Erin, but now that they're pretty much on the same side, that's not gonna have the same impact so... Sabin vs Erin, if you can find a good reason for it.

=============

3. If/When I write another fanfic, is there any advice you can give about things I need to work on?

Keep an eye open for plotlines that could lead you much farther than you initially plan to (I'm again stressing Carla here, as well as Eternia). Sometimes things just develop while you're mid-story, and you should take advantage of them. Also, get a beta reader. Namely me.

=============

4. If/When I write another fanfic, any decks/archtypes you’d like to see?

Gladiator Beast. Can't think of much else atm. I hope you don't reject deck ideas simply because they were featured in Armageddon - you will certainly want to change the main cast's decks, but that doesn't mean that decks that appeared here can't make cameos or even full appearances later.

=============

5. Any additional comments about anything related to this fanfic.

Eh, I think I've pretty much analyzed everything extensively throughout this whole thread. So yeah, gonna leave it at that.

Thanks guys for doing those so throughly.

So stuff I can already glean from that is:

-that I need to give more characters more equal development and more plot development, and introduce minor characters like Carla, and I certainly think Nataka and Chetema better and use them rather than just cannon-fodder.

-plots that extend beyond 'I want to destroy everything cuz I'm a bitter and twisted old fart mwahaha'. Gonna try and make the next one as twisty as I can and am working a lot on baddies at present.

-make everything connect up more and be more relevant to the main plot as well as diverse enough between each characters side issues.

-do not under any circumstances bow to popular anime culture :D

Keep them coming guys, likes are being given away here.

Might I ask which duels were particularly poor/draggy? I know Hikari v Osborn was one, it felt like it at the time.

Saber, you sure man? I mean I appreciate it and it would help, but then you'd be spoilered for everything and maybe wouldn't enjoy it so much.

Archived