Yu-Gi-Oh! Armageddon (PG13) - Finished

Interesting you should say that it didn't hook you. Did the fact it was two duels in one - that constantly switched between Sabin and Hikari vs Raesir and Gear, then to Erin vs Juruo every third turn, have something to do with that?

Well I've never had any problems with such things earier. So in theory, nothing should've felt wrong with it, but it just did. Eh, yeah I can't really explain why. (Do you understand now why I didn't fill in the questionary?)

About chaoter 63: *sigh* Once again I've been proven wrong. Meh, whatever. It's better this way.

Also, Chimeratech Overdragon. For some reason I didn't expect him/it to apear at all. But good that you included it.

Anywho, this chapter felt better then the last one. So good work on that.

[spoiler=Spoilers]

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that almost every one of you would have guessed when the match started they would be eliminated something along the lines of Raesir, Hikari, Gear, Sabin, with Erin and Juruo left one on one at the end. I'm guessing. I wanted - we all wanted - Erin vs Juruo, and I wanted Erin to really show she is probably the strongest duelist out of the six with her play, but at the same time I wanted Hikari to have her say since she still has feelings for J that she struggles to show, and seeing Erin beating him down on him and coming up with the save was very sweet in mind. Plus a bit of personal revenge for her. I hate giving Erin the brunt of the pain a lot, but there was no way Juruo was going to beat her one on one. As for Hikari getting eliminated next turn, well if you've got something like Judgement Dragon on the field, you are instantly going to become a target for everyone. Plus it does have implications on the rest of the duel and certain characters reactions.

And where did it say she was dead? Hinted as likely, but not definately stone cold dead like Tyrana was.

Honestly I didn't make any guesses on who'll be left. So I wasn't that suprised, but the ending part of it being a Battle Royal is quite nice indeed.

Eh, I probebly just presumed that seeing that you said that more Signers would be deing.

[spoiler=More spoilers]

Yep, miracle majestic appearance. Well, since Juruo originally had Gae Bulg, Vajrayana and Barcha all appear from thin air during mid duel, it seemed rude not too.

Interesting note: The end was something I thought I had planned from the moment I started this fic, that Sabin and Juruo would face Gear together. Originally however, I wanted Sabin to draw Yuma's Miracle Synchro Fusion, using RDA and his Attack Gainer (that's why it was his spirit) to summon Draco Equiste for the win. But try as I might I couldn't get Draco to put Chimeratech over, so this was the backup plan. Ok it was only a little bit interesting.

Well I gues that ballances things out some more.

Right, ladies and gentleman (do any ladies read this? I'm assuming there must be one given this now has had over 10,000 views), we are entering the FINAL WEEK. This time next week this fic will be over.

At least that's what I hope. But I have two problems:

1 - I still don't have home broadband. I'm still waiting to be connected up and it's getting right on my wick. I've been online a lot recently because of dad being on holiday and abusing his Internet, but he's back Monday.

2 - I've written 64 and 65, and half of 66. That was done a while ago. But now I'm stuck, because (and I'm trying not to spoil the end here) of something that I had decided would happen since the very very start of this thing, and now its got to writing it and... I want to change my mind, I don't want to do it. But I have to. So that's irritating.

So in short will try to get the finale up as smoothly as possible, but I might finally break my almost immaculate posting structure because of either limited access to site or because of agonizing over the final bits, and making sure I get it absolutely right. So please bear with me.

Oh and yet another thank you to the guys who voted this fic the second best piece of fic writing of 2011. You're very strange to vote for this over Dead Zone though. It's so much better :D. But seriosuly thanks, I'll keep you posted about 2012's fic as it comes together.

See you all next week for the end...

Matt

Wait! You can vote on this?

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering where I could do so.

Well, since the YCM Awards Voting is over, you can't this year. But six months from now, you can vote for this as the best Fan-Fic vote in the Voting. The author is then given a special award. But I think you knew that already.

And I apologize, I meant to find something more funny, not something like "you're an idiot". But this was the first thing that popped up.

Well, since the YCM Awards Voting is over, you can't this year. But six months from now, you can vote for this as the best Fan-Fic vote in the Voting. The author is then given a special award. But I think you knew that already.

And I apologize, I meant to find something more funny, not something like "you're an idiot". But this was the first thing that popped up.

Ah, I shall vote then (if someone reminds me at least).

Anywho, it's not that I was insulted or something like that. I actually loled when I saw that pic. So it's ok.

Wait! You can vote on this?

Sigh, yes you can. Or rather you could. The polls have now closed, and this fic finished second to trio of DEF. Hoping to go one better next year.

Glad that the battle grew on you eventually. And yeah, now I see why. :D

Anyway, here we are, the final week. What will happen?

Having to make this a splash and dash post as once again I'm down to limited interweb usage, so no hyperlinks. There are a few cards that people may not recognise, but you're all grown up enough to find them on the wiki yourselves for this one. Try to enjoy, don't get too scared...lol.

[spoiler=Chapter 64]

Chapter 64 - One Final Nightmare

Across the Empire, the late summer sun was setting across the horizon. All around the world, the city streets were empty as families gathered in their homes, hiding from the various monsters that had ravaged the lands over the last few days, and to spend time with their loved ones. Time that many felt, just had the ominous feeling as they glanced fretfully from their windows into the cloudy sky that did little to hide the nineteen balls of flame hanging in the sky in an enormous circle, was slipping away from them. Mothers rocked their children to sleep with fragile smiles as they kissed them goodnight, with the words “I love you, see you in the morning” hard to come by, the latter hard to believe in for many. Some didn’t take the children to bed at all, spending every moment they could with them. Lightning flashed across the stormy sky, it began to rain, and still the fires of doomsday burned strong up above.

The end was near.

Can you hear me Juruo?”

Juruo blinked, and looked around him. He was standing – for some mystifying reason – in a pure white space without horizon, without any single thing in sight. Except for one person who was speaking to him, standing right in front of him. A taller man with messy black hair like his own and bright green eyes that were glinting with a solemn happiness. On his left arm was a duel shield with a pale blue gem in the centre, at the heart of the three headed dragon etched into the silver.

“Dad?”

Tatsan Daisuke smiled and nodded. “It’s great to see you again son. You’ve grown so much since I was last with you.”

Juruo swallowed slightly. “It’s great to see you too.”

Silence followed for a few moments, as both father and son shuffled awkwardly, unsure of what else to say. Nothing needed to be said that much. They could see each for a few moments. Finally Tatsan spoke again, his voice a more grave tone. “Your final battle is at hand. You ready to face him?” Juruo frowned, then nodded, prompting a hand on the shoulder that felt so warm, so real, even though Juruo knew this had to be a dream. “Good lad. I just want you to know that whatever happens, I’m proud of everything you’ve done. You’ve looked after your mother and your friends well.”

Juruo shook his head. “No, I couldn’t protect them. I saw them fall...”

“I assure you they are fine, and they are with you in heart” Tatsan interrupted. “As are me and your mother, and everyone who has fought beside you. You will not be alone against Fygmorke. Go now, and do everything in your power to stop him. Everyone believes in you.”

“No pressure then.”

Tatsan smiled, and Juruo’s vision began to fade in front of him. Usually such a sensation of everything fading before your eyes would usually terrify most people, but Juruo was strangely calm. He had his father with him to see him through. Just before everything disappeared completely, Tatsan released his grip on the boys shoulder and stepped away, before he returned to being just a memory, or a fantasy, or whatever dream he had been.

“Proud of you son.”

With a groan, Juruo woke up to the real world in less blissful circumstances, lying on his back on a cold black surface. He had fallen a long way; god only knew how he survived the fall, to land on a similar rock to the other floating around him. Every muscle ached, and his right arm was covered in dry blood and claw marks from where Dewloren had slashed at him. If the wounds had stopped bleeding and clotted over, he must have been lying here a little while, which of course meant time was ticking. Sitting up took a painful effort in itself, and with much groaning and panting Juruo stood up and turned to face away from the empty expanse he had been facing, to what he was certain from the heat was waiting behind him.

He was at the base of the massive blood red ball of swirling energy that seemed to be the centre; the heart of this place. It was throwing out a moderate amount of heat and dull light, but not enough to make standing so close and looking at it apparently dangerous at all. In fact, looking up through the translucent surface, Juruo could see straight through it, could see that right in the middle of it was the silver, egg shaped creation that Demon had cast into this place ten days ago, the bomb that contained the Final Countdown and sacred beast cards and was counting down to the destruction of everything. Somehow he had to get it out of there, and shut it off. But of course, there would be an obstacle to prevent that.

Standing between him and the heart of this world with his back to him was Fygmorke. He was about the same height, maybe slightly taller than Juruo, and was covered in thick purple robes all over. He was supporting himself with a long wooden staff in his left hand, his right arm covered by a sweeping sleeve down by his side as he stood unmoving, in silence, staring up at the little bomb just as Juruo had been. A bead of sweat trickled down Juruo’s brow. Had the sorcerer realised he was here and awake? What should he do?

“Surely even someone as persistent as you must realise there is nothing more you can do, now that you can see what you are up against before your very eyes?”

Without turning, Fygmorke’s addressed Juruo almost indifferently, but his gruff voice still made his hair prickle on his neck. Nonetheless, Juruo staggered forward and armed his duel shield. He was exhausted. He was broken. He was still not giving up, not just because Fygmorke was telling him to. Still facing away from him, the sorcerer rolled his eyes and sighed.

“Is that your solution to everything, that you can just duel your way out? Is that your great plan to stop me; just defeat me in a duel and that will somehow prevent the destruction about to envelop all reality?”

Juruo stopped and grimaced. Fygmorke had a point and he knew it. But still he staggered toward the sorcerer. There had to be something, his father had told him he had this final battle to face, and that would have to accomplish something. Perhaps sensing his movement, he smiled to himself, and finally turned to face Juruo. As he did so, he lifted his right hand, and pulled at the hood covering his head. Juruo froze, and felt his insides do the same thing as saw the face.

The sorcerers face was thin, sunken and pressed into the bone of the skull that enhanced every grotesque detail, and his skin was a sickly grey colour, could be described as decayed, and covered in black scratches and scars that bore deep into the bone. He was completely bald, but a tight fitting gold crown was buried into his forehead that was adorned with several onyx gemstones. No nose, just a flat area with two thin nostrils in the skull, and his jaw was covered in the same scars and pockmarks that extended down his throat. The eyes were black pits with two thin slits of purple like a snake. The hands clutching the staff and edge of the robes were similarly grey, thin knotted hands with long fingers ending in dirty, scrappy fingernails. Fygmorke cackled, a motion that pulled the skin around his throat even tighter to a sickly degree, and revealed his filthy teeth and grey tongue.

“What did you expect from someone centuries old?” Fygmorke mocked the pale, ill looking boy standing before him. “I’m sure you are as surprised as I am that you are standing at all. I watched you fall at the end of your little melee, but your descent seemed to be cushioned by some force as you fell here. You’ve been lying there for hours. You should take little comfort that the dragon whose mark you bear protects you even here, for after all you are simply going to suffer a more painful demise instead. I suppose that same dragon will also be able to protect you from this too.”

Before Juruo could speak or move, Fygmorke raised an outstretched hand, and sparks of purple lightning surged through his fingertips and towards him. His body screamed as the current passed through every part of it, although Juruo was unable to make any noise of his own. The pressure building on his brain was agonizing. Fygmorke smirked and doubled the force, raising Juruo off the floor and throwing him a few feet away, landing face down with a crash.

“Just accept it’s over. The Armageddon Bomb is beyond your reach, trapped in the heart of this world in a ball of liquid fire. Its timer is approximately two hours from completion, at which point the forces of raging gods will tear this domain completely apart, and with this places fall so will the realities it supports will fall along with it, collapsing into one another and falling into dark nothingness. Blessed nothingness. There is nothing you can do to stop it.”

Groaning weakly, breathing erratically, Juruo pushed himself upright and to his feet. For a few moments he could see three sorcerers, until he shook out the lingering effects of the electric shock. “I’m not going down without a fight. There’s always something I can do. If there wasn’t, you wouldn’t have sent your goons after us to try and kill us. You wouldn’t be here now. You’re here to protect your bomb from being stopped.”

Fygmorke’s pupils narrowed. “Foolish boy, you have no idea what you are talking about. You cannot grasp what it is that’s about to happen.”

“No, you don’t grasp it” Juruo shouted back between heavy gulps of oxygen. “You’re destroying everything on some warped concept of nothingness is better than all the hardships people have to go through. You think you’re doing everyone a favour, but you’re just not. You’re just a twisted, crazy old man, and the only reason we’re having this conversation is because you can be stopped and you know it.”

Anger contorted the sorcerer’s hideous features further. “We are having this conversation solely because your signer hood has given you a charmed life, and nothing else. A life that is about to be ended.” The sorcerer raised his hand towards Juruo for a second time. “This charade ends now.”

‘Jump’

“What?” Juruo glanced around in panic as a third, unknown voice rang across his mind, a reaction that even surprised Fygmorke.

‘Just jump. Now.’

With no other plan available, Juruo did as he was told. Before Fygmorke could move, he turned and ran for the edge of the platform that was a few feet away. His body groaned in protest, but he knew that he’d be in worse pain if Fygmorke got him again. With a backward glance to the stunned sorcerer, Juruo paused, hoping for a miracle, and dived over the edge. Falling into the emptiness, his eyes widened as he saw the owner of the voice finally emerge from underneath the platform, soaring out to catch him.

Unable to quite react to what he was seeing, Fygmorke watched in disbelief as the possessed boy dived off the edge of the rock and into the black abyss before him. The sorcerer waited in silence, waiting for something to happen. Something must be about to happen, that troublesome boy always seemed to have something to pull him out of the situations he had been faced with. He always seemed to pull some miraculous escape. Calmly, the sorcerer waited, watching and listening for any sign.

There was a roar, and Fygmorke limped as quickly as he could with his walking staff to the edge of the platform, and looked down over the side. There he could see a gigantic serpentine dragon gliding away on long wings, emerald and black armour covering its deep amethyst coloured body. Fygmorke sighed; things could not be allowed to get out of hand. Dropping his staff, the ancient sorcerer raised his left hand to his right shoulder, and ripped away the material. The sleeve fell to reveal a thin arm of the same rotting grey flesh, with a small violet coloured skull shape of a shield attached to it. Reaching into the central hub of the symmetrical shield, Fygmorke pulled out the top card and raised it above his head.

“’Gandora, Dragon of Destruction’. Come to me.”

Juruo stared back at the slab of rock that was disappearing into the distance behind him before turning to his rescuer. ‘Dragunity Knight Barcha’ was flying across the void in silence, gliding effortlessly with the occasional beats of wings. Juruo was sitting in the small of his back just below the neck, in a saddle built into the black chest plate of the armoured dragon. A seat that would usually be occupied by someone else. “Thanks Barcha, but where’s your knight partner?”

“He’s sitting in his usual seat.”

“O....Kay?”

Before Juruo could ask Barcha what he meant, a second roar echoed across the void from behind him. Barcha dived and accelerated but the roar came again, louder this time. Turning in his seat, Juruo looked back and gulped. A second smaller but nimbler dragon was hot in pursuit, a black dragon with red patterns in its hide, curved silver claws and spikes that sprouted from its wings, was chasing after them, and sitting on its back, duel shield armed and ready, was Fygmorke. Barcha took more evasive action, but was unable to match the smaller dragon for speed as it pulled up alongside, slashing at the larger dragons armour with its claws. Barcha screamed in pain as they dug through his metal plating. The sorcerer raised his hand and tried to zap Juruo again, but was just mercifully out of range.

“There’s no escape boy. This ends here.”

“You got that right. This is where I prove what is worth fighting for, where I avenge everyone you’ve made suffer, and all my friends will fight beside me until we defeat you.” With a thunderous roar, Juruo had to hang on as Barcha spun and slashed at the other dragon, forcing it to pull back to a safe distance with a snarl. Juruo raised his duel shield, and crossed himself as his deck shuffled itself. Both duelists pulled out their opening five cards, and the green indicator lit up on Juruo’s shield. ‘This is it. I don’t know how I’m going to do this, but I will stop him. We will stop him.’

“Duel!”

“I’m going first” Juruo declared as he drew his sixth card, adding a familiar little dragon to a hand with options to attack and defend. “I summon ‘Totem Dragon’ in defence mode.” A green spherical portal opened in the space to his left, and the tiny long necked dragon soared through, flapping frantically to keep up with the gigantic Barcha (DEF: 200). “Then I place two cards face down and end my turn.”

“You are going to regret opposing me signer” Fygmorke declared from his dragon. His smirk broadened as he looked at his sixth card, before adding it to his hand. “First I activate the spell card ‘Destroyed Future’. This sends cards from the top of my deck to the graveyard, a number equal to the five currently in my hand. Not that they’ll be there for long” the sorcerer smirked as he picked up the cards and fed them one by one into the graveyard slot. “Next I place two cards face down, then I summon ‘Infernity Necromancer’ in defence mode.”

A dark portal opened for a monster to fly through alongside the black dragon; a skeleton in lavender robes similar to the duelist (DEF: 2000). “Next by discarding the rest of my hand, I activate the spell card known as ‘Spell Chronicle’. This card lets me remove any five cards in my deck from play.”

Sure he hadn’t heard right, Juruo turned to see a scroll appear behind Fygmorke, floating through the air after him. This scroll had a design on it that incorporated five small blue circular glyphs, linked together by a chain, overlaid on two larger red and black glyphs, each with a symbol he had no idea of the meaning of. Each of the smaller circles illuminated for a second, and the backs of five cards appeared for a second and then all vanished. Back with the duelist, Fygmorke had raised both his hands, to reveal they were empty.

“You’ve emptied your hand already?”

“That’s right, and you are familiar that my loyal Infernity need me to be that way before I can activate their effects. So now you can forget my Spell Chronicle for the time being, and focus on Necromancer. Once per turn, he can resurrect any Infernity monster from my graveyard. I choose ‘Infernity Beast’.” A spectral hound appeared beside the fiend. “Now when Beast attacks whilst there are no cards in my hand, you are unable to activate any spells or traps until after the attack. Destroy Totem Dragon.”

The dragon stood little chance against the demon hound, something that provided much amusement for Fygmorke. “I have nothing else to play for now.”

[spoiler=Summary - Round 1]

Juruo - Front Row: -. Back Row: Face Down x2. Hand: 3 LP: 4000

Fygmorke - Front Row: Beast, Necromancer. Back Row: Spell Chronicle, Face Down x2. Hand: - LP: 4000

“Alright, my turn” Juruo declared as Barcha changed direction, Fygmorke’s steed keeping just behind him. The first of the Dragunity dragons had appeared in his hand. “I summon ‘Dragunity Aklys’, and when he comes out, he brings ‘Dragunity Militum’ out from my hand with him.” Juruo placed his two cards, opening a portal for the thin red dragon to soar through with the winged female swords wielder on its back (ATK: 1700). “Now Militum, attack Infernity Beast.”

“A rash move” Fygmorke sounded almost bored as the duo charged, revealing one of his traps. “I activate ‘Infernity Break’. Since there are no cards in my hand, by removing from play ‘Infernity Guardian’ in my graveyard, I can destroy Militum immediately.” The spectral image of a demonic shield that Juruo immediately recognised appeared.

“That’s the monster that possessed Erin.” The sight of the demon enraged him. “Doesn’t it bother you at all what you did to her? To Raesir and Gear, and your own son? How you destroyed their lives just for your demented ambition.”

It was a stupid question to bother asking, but Juruo couldn’t help himself, his lack of understanding of why Fygmorke had done all this drove him to do it. His temper wasn’t helped by Fygmorke striking a mock pose of deep thought. “Hmmmmm... no, not really. Why should I? Those pawns were doomed to a life of insufferable hardship the second they were born. An idealist, a fantasist like you wouldn’t understand. Now Militum is destroyed.” From the shield came a crack of lightning that shot towards the swordswoman.

“Whatever, I think I’ll just stop trying to understand you. I activate the quick play spell ‘Swallow’s Nest’. By releasing the targeted Militum, I can summon ‘Dragunity Dux’ from my deck in her place.” Militum vanished in a puff of feathers, the lightning striking the small dragon instead. Beside Juruo, the warrior Dux emerged (ATK: 1700), whilst behind Fygmorke the floating scroll had reappeared. The top red glyph was glowing. “What now?”

“Each time you activate a spell card, my Chronicle gains a counter” Fygmorke explained with a chuckle.

“Yeah, so what happens when I activate enough of them?”

“You’ll see...”

Juruo scowled. Well whatever the case, it would be unwise to let it hang around long enough to have any effect. “Oh fine, now because my equipped monster Aklys has been sent to the graveyard, he can destroy a card too. I choose your Spell Chronicle.”

“Trap activate; ‘Infernity Barrier’. Whilst there are no cards in my hand and an Infernity monster on my field, this lets me negate any card effect I choose and destroy it.”

“No way!” Juruo gasped as Aklys vanished short of its target, leaving the scroll perfectly intact. Cue more demented cackling for Fygmorke. Even the dragon he was riding seemed to be mocking him. “Well this time you’re out of face downs, so Dux is going to take down your beast.” The winged warrior struck, the minimal damage done to the destroyed beast was enough to shut the sorcerer up for now (LP: 3900). Looking back at his hand, he currently had another trap - one he had never used - and one more spell in ‘Fighting Spirit’. With Spell Chronicle in play it was best not to activate it, but that was fine when he had ‘Wotan’s Judgement’ on the field ready instead. “I place one more card face down and end my turn.”

“Well then it’s my turn” Fygmorke growled, instantly placing his card face down, thus keeping himself handless. “I activate the effect of Infernity Necromancer to summon another one of my milled cards, ‘Infernity Archfiend’.” A strange demon with violet skin soared alongside him, wearing an odd garb and flexing long claws (ATK: 1800). “When Archfiend is special summoned whilst there are no cards in my hand, I can select any Infernity card in my deck and add it to my hand.”

‘This is getting insane’ Juruo thought as Fygmorke revealed a trap card, before placing that face down as well.

“And with that, I end my turn.”

“What? You’re not going to attack?”

“You will soon learn Juruo that I am a very patient man. My Armageddon itself is the result of forty years worth of work, what does a few more minutes matter? As for this duel, there is no need for me to risk a reckless attack which your reaction makes it obvious you were braced for. I’ve seen a little of what you have to give, and to be honest it’s not that much. I’m going to take my time and pick you apart bit by bit. I have all the time I need. Yours is running out fast.”

[spoiler=Summary - Round 2]

Juruo - Front Row: Dux. Back Row: Face Down x2. Hand: 1 LP: 4000

Fygmorke - Front R: Archfiend, Necromancer. Back R: Spell Chronicle, Face Down x2. Hand: - LP: 3900

Ducking as a piece of rock flew over his head, Juruo felt numb. He was shocked that his face down Wotan’s had been so easily scouted. ‘Well durr genius, he saw half your deck during the battle royale.’ Still, he had to persevere, and his drawn card would help him do more than just that. “First I activate the effect of Totem Dragon in my graveyard, summoning him back to the field. Then I summon the tuner monster ‘Dragunity Phalanx’.” The bronze plated dragon soared alongside him, and burst into stars. Juruo felt the adrenaline rush give him new strength, as the darkness faded away. Given the situation, he had so far been unable to truly appreciate that he was flying, and duelling, on dragon back. But this feeling was one dreams were made of. “Come forth the shining light of my soul, ‘Stardust Dragon’!”

The striking silver dragon emerged into the fray, spreading its long wings and shrieking fiercely as it ready itself for the command (ATK: 2500). Heart swelling at the sight of his protector, Juruo turned to see what effect the sight of his holy dragon had made on Fygmorke. His face fell immediately. Fygmorke looked completely unafraid. If anything, he looked delighted.

“So you’ve summoned your signer dragon already. Interesting. I activate the trap card ‘Reckless Greed’, letting me draw two cards in exchange for skipping my next two draw phases.”

‘Why do that? All his traps rely on him being without cards in his hand.’ There was a long pause, as Juruo struggled to work out what to do. ‘This is stupid; being indecisive is playing right into his hands. I have to get on the attack, starting with that Necromancer.’ “Stardust Dragon, take out Infernity Necromancer.” White flames erupted from the great dragon and engulfed the robed skeleton, which disappeared with a terrible shriek. “See Fygmorke, Stardust and I are going to...”

“Ahahahahahaha!” Juruo almost broke his neck turning to face his opponent as he heard him laughing harder than before. “I activate the trap ‘Infernity Reflector’. When my monster is destroyed, I can discard all the cards in my hand in order to summon it right back. Furthermore, you take one thousand points of direct damage.”

The words had barely registered before Juruo’s mind exploded, as the force of Fygmorke’s power hit him for the second time. The pain dragged on as the shock coursed through every vein, every fibre. As the shock stopped Juruo lost his balance and slipped in his seat; it took a deft movement from Barcha to keep him in the saddle (LP: 3000). Behind him, the skeleton had reappeared, grinning malevolently.

“I end my turn.”

“It’s back to me then, and because I activated Reckless Greed my draw phase is skipped, meaning I’m handless for the next two turns. I activate the effect of Necromancer once more to summon one of the monsters I just discarded, the tuner monster ‘Infernity Avenger’.”

Juruo recognised this one too, the little gun-slinging demon in full western garb, the monster that had been planted in the deck of a young friend through which Fygmorke could impose his will on. Who the sorcerer had used as a weapon against the signers, an experience so torturous that Melanc had begged to be released, even if it meant he was killed. Visions of Mel’s still body swam across his mind and flared up his temper. “You’re a coward Fygmorke, hiding behind the people who trusted you, and taking their free will once you were exposed. Using my friends to protect yourself. You’re no duelist. Just a bitter old man who can’t stand it that everyone’s happy except himself.”

Fygmorke’s cruel snarl twitched. “You have no idea what you’re on about. No one is truly happy in this world. Such a concept does not exist within the Empire or its neighbours.”

“Oh yeah? You said you’ve been plotting all this for decades. That means you started this before the Empire became on oppressive dictatorship. All that was your doing too, sitting in the darkness pulling the strings.”

“Humph, Nero was always a weak and anxious ruler who lusted for more power; he just needed a little push in my direction. If it had not me who supplied that push, someone else would have. That’s something I’ve learned about your kind. You need to suffer. You can’t live without it.” Fygmorke pointed at Juruo with a skeletal finger and spat at him. “You pathetic people have a primal instinct to wallow in hate and self-pity. Then when you see someone better off than you are, you do everything in your power to drag them down. Frankly it’s disgusting. Your feeble minds couldn’t cope with a Utopia, in a world without pain and suffering.”

“You’re the same” Juruo shouted back as Barcha began to dive again. “Dragging everyone down into the abyss is exactly what you’re doing.”

“I am nothing like you signer!” Fygmorke’s eyes were wide and dancing wildly. “My mind is clear. You have not seen everything that I have; the wars fought by thousands for causes they don’t understand, the disasters that have ravaged the planet, the people I’ve seen try to rule this world with the darkness they wielded with such weakness. The life of this world is an endless spiral of despair that I am going to break free of. Your dependence on your suffering prevents you from seeing that it’s for your own good.” Still looking up at Juruo, the sorcerer reached into his extra deck slot and pulled out a card, as his three monsters disappeared into darkness. “Enough talk, let’s continue this duel.”

“Finally. There’s no point trying to reason with you when you’ve clearly lost your mind.”

“You will regret your impudence boy. I tune Avenger with Archfiend and Necromancer to Synchro Summon a most terrifying envoy of death and destruction. ‘Hundred Eyes Dragon’!”

A spine chilling scream filled Juruo’s ears, making him glance back in panic. For a second, his heart stopped, as he gazed upon the Hundred Eyes Dragon. A gigantic creature with a body covered and dripping with a black tar like substance, soaring on frayed leathery wings and stretching its long gangly arms and neck. Dark blue eyes of mismatched sizes produced from every part of its body, limps and tail; that fixed upon and pierced through him (ATK: 3000). Trailing after it, Fygmorke reached back into another slot of his shield with a smug grin. “Scary isn’t he? Just wait until I activate his effect. By removing one dark attribute monster in my graveyard from play, Hundred Eyes takes its name and effect until the end of the turn. The card I’m removing is Infernity Beast, and you know what that means. Hundred Eyes Dragon, erase Stardust Dragon and all the signers false hope with it.”

“Stardust!” Knowing he was unable to activate anything to protect her, Juruo could only watch helplessly as the ghost of the demonic hound appeared for a brief moment, before the larger dragon unleashed a stream of dark blue flame that crashed into Stardust’s chest. The pain etched on his ally’s face, which he could feel in its dying scream, cut him deeper than any of his flesh wounds. As the silver dragon vanished into stars, Juruo hung his head (LP: 2500). “Don’t worry, I’ll get you back. Everyone’s relying on us.”

“I end my turn with this. Face it; everyone who has relied on you is gone. Their trust in you is wildly misplaced. You can’t protect them. You can’t even protect your monsters or yourself.”

[spoiler=Summary - Round 3]

Juruo - Front Row: -. Back Row: Face Down x2. Hand: 1 LP: 2500

Fygmorke - Front Row: Hundred Eyes Dragon. Back Row: Spell Chronicle. Hand: - LP: 3900

Visions of Sabin, Hikari, Erin and the rest crossed Juruo’s mind. If it hadn’t been from the reassuring pep talk from his father, he may have been inclined to believe him. ‘Don’t believe him, he’s a manipulative liar who is trying to distract you. Don’t lose hope.’

“They’re not gone. They’re safe somewhere and they’re relying on me. Something I can’t imagine you’re too familiar with. It doesn’t matter what I think about you or how much you hurt me. Knowing they need and believe in me will keep me going no matter what you throw at me. It’s my turn. Draw!” Glancing at his card, he nodded approvingly. “Clearly the spirits in my deck feel the same way and will fight as well. I summon ‘Shield Wing’, who can’t be destroyed in battle twice per turn.”

Fygmorke scoffed dismissively at the sight of the frail winged lizard (DEF: 900). “You think you can hide behind that thing? I activate the effect of Hundred Eyes Dragon.” Once more the sorcerer pulled another card out of his graveyard, and beside the dragons head appeared the ghost of a short pot bellied man with an axe. Juruo actually felt his face whiten.

“You’re joking! When did he get into your graveyard!?”

“’Infernity Dwarf’ was discarded from my opening hand by Spell Chronicle, since you’re curious. Now Hundred Eyes Dragon inherits his effect, enabling to inflict piercing damage whilst I have no cards in my hand. Attack Shield Wing.”

As the second barrage of flame was unleashed from the dragons jaws, Juruo realised he had no choice but to protect himself. He had hoped with Shield Wing out he wouldn’t have to use it, but he couldn’t afford to take this hit. “I activate Wotan’s Judgement, returning a spell card to my deck to negate your attack and end the battle phase.” The flames hit a barrier and were halted, although Juruo could still feel the heat. What might happen if he was struck directly didn’t bare thinking about. “Then I get to draw a new card.”

Fygmorke smirked to himself. It had taken little logical deduction to know the signer boy had one of his defensive traps on the field. It didn’t really matter that he had used up Dwarf’s effect, because he had lured the trap at a time Juruo didn’t want to use it up. Looking over his cards to analyze his position, he thought that if he hadn’t known, he would have used one of the other cards set up in his graveyard - it would have meant he would have been attacking for game, but wasted it rashly. Feeling cocky was a quality Fygmorke despised, but being in full control of everything around him was something he needed, and right now he was in full control. “Now who’s the coward? Keep struggling; it’s amusing watching you tremble before my mighty dragon.”

[spoiler=Summary - Round 4]

Juruo - Front Row: Shield Wing. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: 1 LP: 2500

Fygmorke - Front Row: Hundred Eyes Dragon. Back Row: Spell Chronicle. Hand: - LP: 3900

“We’ll see” Juruo tried to sound as strong as he could, but looking back at that monster was making that difficult. It didn’t help when Wotan’s had added ‘Dragunity Corsesca’ to his hand, which didn’t help right now, and his drawn card was something he really didn’t want to see right now, something he’d been trying to avoid, but no longer could. “I activate ‘Cards of Consonance’, discarding one dragon type tuner monster to draw two cards.”

Fygmorke’s eyes flashed with increased glee, as the scroll reappeared over his bony shoulder, the lower black glyph now shining too. “Thus Spell Chronicle gains it second counter. All that I need now is the start of my turn.”

“In that case, my dragons have until then to wreak as much carnage as possible” Juruo declared, heart leaping as he caught sight of one of his cards. “I summon ‘Debris Dragon’ to the field.” The smaller silver dragon soared out to Juruo’s right with a high pitched cry (ATK: 1000). “Now when Debris Dragon is summoned, he brings back Phalanx from my graveyard. Then I’ll tune Debris Dragon and Shield Wing to Synchro summon an old friend of mine, one who’ll drive his lance through you and your dragons corrupted heart. ‘Dragunity Knight Gae Bulg’!”

As the duelists hurtled back towards the centre of the void and the blood red nucleus, Juruo’s original boss, the silver plated dragon crashed past Juruo and Barcha at pace, soaring by with his warrior poised and ready with spear in hand. “Now I activate Gae Bulg’s effect. By removing Militum from my graveyard, he gains attack equal to hers. Do it!”

Looping ahead of them, the dragon charged back towards the black behemoth that was dawning to the realisation it was about to be destroyed (ATK: 3700).With a terrifying roar, Gae Bulg lunged, and the warrior thrust its lance towards it heart. Juruo yelled, as Fygmorke closed his eyes. There was a flash of green.

“.....................”

“Ahahahahahaha..... ahahahaha...”

Still floating across the void, time and space seemed to stand still for a moment. Hundred Eyes Dragon tilted its head, its cobalt eyes staring at the monster still before it. Slowly, Gae Bulg withdrew his lance from where it had been buried; deep in the chest of a ghostly warrior in green armour. Crushed, Juruo slammed a fist into the metal saddle.

“’Necro Gardna’. I should have known.”

“And yet you would have still been powerless to do anything about it. There is nothing you can accomplish in the face of the inevitable, the irreversible, the total darkness that is about to consume you.”

‘This isn’t irreversible yet. I can still use Gae Bulg’s effect to protect me from his attack.’ “I place one card face down and end my turn.”

“Then I begin my turn, and I’m allowed to start drawing cards again.” Fygmorke cast his drawn card a glance, before raising his hand. Behind him, the scroll appeared once more, as did the images of five different cards. “I activate the effect of Spell Chronicle. Now you have to select one of the cards I originally removed from play to be added to my hand.” His grin broadened, stretching and enhancing his skeletal features. “Choose wisely.”

Juruo glanced from card to card. The first one he recognised, Monster Reborn. Well there was no way he was letting him have that. A trap card he vaguely recognised as the troublesome Dark Bribe, then a monster, presumably another Infernity. Then the final two cards. Their identities were hidden, behind two balls of purple fire. Well if Fygmorke didn’t want him to know what they were, then he shouldn’t pick them. After an agonizing minute, he made his decision. The monster. Hopefully Fygmorke had drawn another one and he would be unable to summon them both, thus the effects of all Infernity cards would be stopped. “You can have the monster.”

“Very well” The scroll, no longer illuminated, disappeared and the other four cards with it, whilst Fygmorke reached up and the selected card floated down to his hand. “I summon ‘Infernity Mirage’ to the field.” The monster, a shaman in ceremonial dress and crowned with a red feathered headdress, flew beside the giant dragon (ATK: 0). “Then I place one card face down, leaving me handless once more.”

‘Ah damn it.’

“I can activate the effect of Infernity Mirage. By releasing him, I can select any two Infernity monsters in my graveyard and special summon them. I choose Archfiend and Necromancer, and activate their respective effects to add another trap card to my hand - which I place face down - and summon Infernity Avenger to the field as well.”

“Not again!” Before his eyes, he was being chased after by more and more monsters, backed up with reinforced protection from everything he tried. Once again Avenger disappeared along with the other monsters as another summon was triggered. Fygmorke simply chuckled to himself. This boy still didn’t understand, still couldn’t accept defeat that was staring him in the face.

“Yes signer, again. And again. And then yet again. An endless cycle born and dying from emptiness. Emptiness that consume everything. I Synchro summon the ultimate Infernity monster. Tremble in the wake of ‘Infernity Doom Dragon’!”

Breaking free from the dark veil surrounding it with a vicious roar, this dragon was smaller, sleeker, but no less terrifying. A black hided beast with smaller wings and pincers instead of claws, the dragon chased effortlessly after him. On its head was a greyish crown, and a spike on the nose above rows and rows of savage teeth (ATK: 3000). Doom Dragon flew on the left, Hundred Eyes on the right, with Fygmorke on the smaller dragon in the middle, gripped by the thrill of relentlessly hunting his prey. “Now I activate the effect of Doom Dragon. Since there are no cards in my hand, I can sacrifice his attack to destroy one of your monsters out right, then you take damage equal to half its attack.”

Gae Bulg screamed and vanished in a cloud of darkness, and from the fog came another strike of purple lightning. Juruo raised his shield, but still the force went through him, slowly draining him of his strength. His vision faded as he slumped in his seat, as he reached desperately for his face down. “I activate ‘Harmony Crystal’. When one Synchro monster is destroyed, I can remove it and one other monster from play to summon another of my Synchro’s back from graveyard. Rise again Stardust Dragon.” In a flash of light, the mighty Stardust Dragon returned, defiantly positioning itself between Juruo and the enemy (DEF: 2000). “Then you take damage equal to half that monsters attack. Eat this!”

Stardust tipped her head back and fired her cascade of silver fire at the old sorcerer, who calmly reached for his graveyard once more. “Gladly. I activate the effect of ‘Damage Eater’. Now instead of taking damage, my life points are increased instead.” The flames passed over Fygmorke, who emerged unscathed (LP: 5150). “Now Hundred Eyes Dragon destroys Stardust once and for all.”

‘There’s nothing I can do.’ For the first time since this had all began, that horrible realisation of helplessness was dawning on Juruo for the first time, as he stared wide eyed as once more the terrible dragon vanquished his own. As the array of monsters hurtled across the void towards the lower edge of the burning fireball that was shielding the bomb that was ticking away every second until the end of all reality; Juruo, Barcha and the remaining Phalanx were chased by those three dark harbingers of death and despair, along with their insane master. ‘His cards are too powerful. No matter what I try, he has an answer for everything. I can’t win this’.

[spoiler=Postscripts]

CARD GAMES ON DRAGONBACK! CARD GAMES ON DRAGONBACK!

Yep, Spell Chronicle is using the anime effect. However to balance this, it can only hold a maximum of two counters at any time for this duel.

Chapter 65 - as yet unnamed chapter - up on thursday.

Uh-oh. Major shizz is going down in this (final?) duel!

I have to say, ever since the climax from about Chapter 60 or so, the story has never been more gripping and entertaining than what it has been now. You know the ending of a good story when you see one. About the hyperlinks thing: I think you describe the effects well enough for us to get the message of what it is, so don't worry if Hyperlinks aren't working (at least, I can understand them). Infernities, huh? I suppose its a good "boss" Archetype, although other boss archetypes would have done it, like Six Sams or Dark Worlds. But then, they really wouldn't have fit in with the character at all (maybe Dark Worlds). I love Juruo's development so far. He has turned into a shy boy from the start of the first arc and has become a pillar of resolution in the final arc. It seems like he has a quintessence (go look it up) that drives him to save the world.

Didn't really anticipate the father-son scene. At least, didn't really anticipate it at this point in the story. It probably would have been a lot more effective earlier on in the story.

Don't keep your readers in the dark! I want that (final?) chapter NOW!

Yes, finally a comment. Was at work looking at this and getting depressed. :D

Uh-oh. Major shizz is going down in this (final?) duel!

Tis indeed the final duel.

I have to say, ever since the climax from about Chapter 60 or so, the story has never been more gripping and entertaining than what it has been now. You know the ending of a good story when you see one. About the hyperlinks thing: I think you describe the effects well enough for us to get the message of what it is, so don't worry if Hyperlinks aren't working (at least, I can understand them).

Eight months worth of getting into story writing really. When this first started I really struggled to put word to, er, screen, but now I can type and type for some time if I get a good idea. And as I've gone along I've just had more and more (not to the extent of having thousands of rejected ideas, but more subplots and such). Read back the first arc a while ago and thought 'wow my writing then was crap'. (I'm a harsh self-critic :D), but there is something satisfying in seeing ones self development.

Hyperlinks being omitted was just a time thing. I prefer including them in case there is a card that is alien for some, or if my physical description is lacking in the minds eye.

Infernities, huh? I suppose its a good "boss" Archetype, although other boss archetypes would have done it, like Six Sams or Dark Worlds. But then, they really wouldn't have fit in with the character at all (maybe Dark Worlds). I love Juruo's development so far. He has turned into a shy boy from the start of the first arc and has become a pillar of resolution in the final arc. It seems like he has a quintessence (go look it up) that drives him to save the world.

Well here's the thing, we've known from the plants in the controlled minions thing for a fair while that Fygmorke uses Infernities. So steps have been taken to make sure there are some (nasty) surprises in there. Dark Worlds have already been used, and are good but not as strong I think.

Wouldn't like to think I've made Juruo to much of the 'perfect hero' as its been cited before. Will definately make my next lead character a bit more flawed/messed up (and a bit more willing to share the limelight).

Didn't really anticipate the father-son scene. At least, didn't really anticipate it at this point in the story. It probably would have been a lot more effective earlier on in the story.

Don't keep your readers in the dark! I want that (final?) chapter NOW!

Ermmmmm, dunno really. Kinda felt morally obliged for them to have a moment. Plus I needed to eat up some time for the countdown to eat in to.

Two more chapters left; will be released Thursday afternon/night (whenever I can get to a cpu) and Saturday night (will have lots of time to post that. Be warned, the final chapter is very long. So long I still haven't quite finished it yet, bout 95% done).

That was some good shizz.

Father scene was nice, good that you were vague about it either being real or real in Juruo's head, cuz there isn't really a logical explanation for that.

And the duel's off to a good start. I don't have the faintest idea how Juruo will get out of this (well, Majestic Star, but how he'll do it is still a mystery) so I should be surprised with how things go.

Keep it up, Matt.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Doing this duel in this fashion was just something that I thought would be very cool, since I have an unhealthy obsession for dragons (see avatar).

Chapter 65 is below. Shocks a plenty I hope.

[spoiler=Chapter 65]

Chapter 65 - Beacon of Hope

The void between realities echoed with a deathly rattle; the sound of demented laughter as the sparring duelists continued to race across the vast black expanse on the backs of their respective dragons, past the burning sphere at its heart. Riding in silence with his head bowed, Juruo was barely conscious of this or anything around him as he weakly clung onto the armour of the mighty Dragunity Knight Barcha (LP: 1500). He had barely even noticed that the repeated electrocutions he was receiving from his opponents assaults had reopened the bloody wounds on his arm, weakening him further. But the physical injury was only half the problem. Flying to his left was the only remaining monster on his field, Phalanx (DEF: 1100), and in his duel shield was one trap card. Despite everything Juruo had tried in this duel, his enemy had always been two steps ahead of him and ready with a counter, bringing out card after card of ridiculous power, and with every failed attack he was crushed a little more inside. After everything he’d promised the others who were somewhere, relying on him. In all his time duelling, he had never felt so certain he was going to be defeated.

Hot in pursuit of him was the sorcerer Fygmorke. The man who was behind everything that Juruo, his friends and even his enemies had endured; who had orchestrated all things to this point, on some wild crusade against the continuation of existence. The sorcerer was sat on the back of the smallest of three black dragons that had the scent of wounded prey in their nostrils (LP: 5150). On his left was Infernity Doom Dragon, capable of destroying anything opposed to it without battle (ATK: 3000). On his right, Hundred Eyes Dragon, a terrifying beast that could seemingly pick and choose whatever effect the situation required (ATK: 3000). Not to mention backed up by Spell Chronicle and two face downs. As far as tough situations go, this was desperate. And all the while, inside the centre of that swirl of energy that the battling duo was passing by was the bomb that was ticking away out of their reach. The future of everything was on the brink.

“I end my turn” Fygmorke drawled in his gruff tone, as his steed Gandora pulled ahead of his other monsters and alongside Barcha. As he drew closer, he could see the expression on the boys face, and it delighted him. “Looks like you’ve finally accepted the truth. Everything you’ve ever fought for has been for nothing. Everything you’ve ever believed in has let you down. But take solace; you will not be plagued by your suffering for much longer.”

Juruo didn’t respond. He didn’t have the strength to do so. Mechanically he tried to lift his arm to draw his next card, pulling faintly against the dead weight, his body reluctant to respond to his dulled thoughts. It didn’t matter what card he drew, nothing was going to protect him, let alone take down both of those foul creatures. Those two monsters that were going to tear apart his trusted Dragunity who had saved him so many times, and then Fygmorke would finish him in almost certainly the slowest and most painful way he could. The exhaustion, the hopelessness, the fear, everything paralyzed Juruo as he reached for his deck. He cast his bleary vision out to the space above the swirling red nucleus, and the stars that were slowly disappearing.

‘I need a miracle.’

Juruo blinked as something moved across the space he was staring so aimlessly at. In the darkness far above him, a shadow was hurtling across the void, plummeting towards the sun-like nucleus at breakneck speed. Unable to identify it yet unable to look away, Juruo watched as the thing split into two; the larger part careering off in one direction whilst the smaller part plummeted on towards the heart. A second later, and whatever it was had crashed into the ball of energy, and he could see no more. ‘It must be a comet that broke into two or something’ he thought dumbly, recalling the landscape of this place before attempting to draw again. As he moved, a surge of pain flashed across his heart, forcing him to clutch at that instead.

Fygmorke had seen the falling comet too, and was just as puzzled as Juruo was by it. Glancing suspiciously back at the nucleus as they flew past and away from it, he peered as hard as he could, but nothing more out of the ordinary appeared. But when he was so close to success, out of the ordinary was the last thing Fygmorke wanted. He turned his attention back to the signer. Maybe he should just finish this now and investigate. The pathetic human hadn’t even got the strength to draw a card now anyway as he clutched at his bleeding heart. Without spoken word to his dragon, Gandora rose upwards and above Barcha, seamlessly copying the evasive movements he was taking as he tried to evade it. Slowly the dragon of destruction pulled into striking distance above the boy’s half collapsed frame, and Fygmorke raised his hand to apply the finishing blow.

There was a shriek. Juruo rolled his head to his right, and blinked in disbelief. Fygmorke snapped his head to the same sight, and his eyes widened in shock.

Charging towards them was another dragon; a sleek serpentine body whose light blue hide that emitted an aura of divine pureness. Her upper body was covered by golden armour that stretched up her neck to her sea green mane, and her usually pinkish butterfly wings were shining with a bright white glow, as another shriek came from her jaws. With a beat of wings, the void exploded into light as Ancient Fairy Dragon fired her attack at Fygmorke.

He barely avoided it. The agile Gandora spiralled up and backwards; barrelling out of the way as the beam of light crashed through the space it had evacuated milliseconds before. It pulled back and hid behind the two larger dragons, roaring with frustration; whilst on its back, Fygmorke looked a mixture of shocked, bewildered, and completely enraged, as Ancient Fairy Dragon pulled up and flew alongside Barcha and Juruo. It was then that they could all see that there, in a groove in the back plate of her armour and wearing a defiant expression, a ghost was sat.

“No way. That’s just not possible” croaked Juruo.

“Why is it not?” Yuma asked. Everything about her was the same; her striking looks, her hauntingly yet beautiful voice. Despite being too far away to reach, Juruo couldn’t help but reach out a hand towards her, convinced that if he did it would pass right through her, that she was just an illusion of his beaten and desperate mind. His reaction amused her, allowing herself a small smile although not drastically changing her determined appearance. “I’m here for real Juruo, alive and fighting.”

“But how?”

“Ancient Fairy Dragon rescued me. Our monsters may have been kept at bay in most parts of the castle, but in the cave where the portal was their powers were enhanced, as the place was a magnet for duel energy. She arrived just in time to grab me and shield us from the collapse” Juruo gave her a blank look, to which Yuma sighed. When she looked up again, she was looking more past Juruo than at him, and smiling to herself. “No, I didn’t understand either, not until he explained it to me.”

“He... you mean... that was...”

Juruo turned in his seat to follow the direction of Yuma’s gaze, and immediately understood as another dragon slowly rose up beside them. It was another Gandora, flying on in silence without even looking at Barcha or Ancient Fairy. There, caught in between the spikes along its back, Demon was lying on his back, clearly dead. Having fallen through the streaming energy of the nucleus, his body was burned, bloody and smoking. A few seconds passed, and with a horrible groan, Demon’s eyes snapped open, and with a mighty effort he managed to pull himself upright. His exposed body was even more mangled than Juruo had last seen it. The hole that had been blasted in his chest by Endymion had been inexplicably half healed, but his chest looked like it had also suffered being crushed by debris as well. Under his left arm was the bomb. Each transparent end, housing a rod like some transmitter, was filled with sparks of red, yellow and blue electricity that entangled wildly with each other. Demon cracked his stiff neck.

“Wow. That was painful, even by my standards.”

The comment was so offhand he made it sound like diving into a vortex of energy to pull out an explosive device was something he did most days. Without further acknowledgement to the bewildered Juruo or beaming Yuma, or indeed to his new wounds, Demon reached into one of his pockets and pulled out a long screwdriver, and set to work trying to pry open the device. Sure he’d taken one too many hits, Juruo turned back to Yuma. “Can you please explain to me what’s going on?”

“After you left, Ancient Fairy arrived to find me and Demon caught between my Exodia and his Infernity Zero, fighting to best each other. It was too late to try and stop them, so she did the only thing she could and grabbed me, shielding us from their power and the collapsing cave. When the dust settled and I could see out again, we were in a small crater in the cave. The roof had collapsed, the archway had crumbled, and both monsters had vanished. And lying in the crater with us was Demon. He was dead, and I wept for him, but Ancient Fairy Dragon didn’t understand. I explained to her everything he’d told us; that he’d been tricked into believing in this false paradise, that he had died on our side.”

“Yeah, then I wake up with her wailing into my shoulder.” The duo turned to Demon, who had just punched the metal egg in annoyance. “Seems my old man’s curse was still in effect. Lucky me, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to perform that crazy stunt and get this thing back.”

“Ancient Fairy Dragon was able to get us here, and we saw from where we entered the dark vortex below us. We got here and saw you duelling, just as he summoned his first dragon. I’m sorry we didn’t show ourselves earlier, but we had to get the bomb out of there first. I thought you’d be able to handle him...”

Yuma was interrupted by a roar of pain from the dragon Demon was riding, as it became the latest victim of that electrical assault. Everyone turned to see that Fygmorke was back on their tails. He had recovered from the initial shock of seeing Yuma and his son appear, whom he had sworn was dead when Infernity Zero had returned to his possession, and quietly listened to their tale from afar. Now he realised what was happening, and that Demon had the bomb; the thing all his ambitions were resting on. Possessed by rage, suddenly see his ambitions hanging in the balance; Fygmorke unleashed a second volley of lightning aimed at Demon, only for the dragon to intercept the attack once more.

“Traitor! Give me that bomb!”

“Why the hell would I do that?” Demon called back, still frantically trying to get inside the device, whilst at the same time his dented duel shield, whirring tiredly, booted up for one last effort. Inspired, lifted, filled with new energy granted by this miracle, Juruo nodded to Yuma as she picked her deck out from her little bag. Fygmorke’s reaction confirmed it; something could be done. For a brief moment, Yuma wondered how she was going to duel as she could surely not let her cards float around whilst hurtling across space on dragon back, however her guardian provided her the solution. Built into her armour were several grooves, deep enough to place a card into, mapped out in the pattern of a duel field. Either this had been done before, or Ancient Fairy Dragon had planned for just such an occasion as this. Yuma indicated to Juruo that she was ready.

“Alright, let’s take this guy down together.”

“Duel!”

“Ladies first.” Yuma picked up her sixth card, holding it tightly before she turned and took a long look at the sorcerer chasing after her and her friends. He looked so fierce, looking at him terrified her, but that wouldn’t stop her. “So you’re my great uncle. Forgive me if I don’t see the pleasure. I activate the spell cards ‘Instant Fusion’ and ‘Emergency Teleport’. The first lets me summon a level five or lower Fusion monster to the field for the cost of one thousand life points, whilst the second summons a psychic type monster from my deck. Then both are destroyed at the end of the turn. My choices are ‘Musician King’ and ‘Krebons’.”

“I always suspected you’d be a problem child” Fygmorke growled as he turned his attention to Yuma (LP: 3000), ignoring the grinning jester and wild looking guitarist that had appeared. His purple eyes bored into hers, each daring the other to blink first, neither relenting. “Even with your combined forces you cannot stop me and my dragons of doom.”

“Yeah we’ll see. I tune Krebons with Musician King to Synchro summon ‘Arcanite Magician’.” From the light of the summon burst forth the white robed magician, staff in hand (ATK: 2400). “Now I’m going to use the effect of Arcanite Magician. By removing one of the two spell counters he was summoned with, I can destroy Infernity Doom Dragon.”

“Not so fast. I activate ‘Dark Illusion’, negating any effect that targets a dark monster and destroying that card. A feeble attempt, not to mention that thanks to your little flurry of magic, my Spell Chronicle is fully charged.”

“Which means it won’t matter that I activate a third one then” Yuma countered without hesitation despite the loss of her monster, placing another card in the grooved armour. “‘Miracle Synchro Fusion’. I remove Arcanite Magician and Musician King from my graveyard, to fusion summon ‘Supreme Arcanite Magician’.” Beside Yuma and her dragon came forth the mighty spellcaster, allowing her another glance back at her great uncle who was looking at it disdainfully (ATK: 3400). “Now attack Hundred Eyes Dragon!”

One bolt of magical energy was enough to dismiss the terrible abomination, sending it spiralling downwards screaming in agony before it disappeared. Fygmorke snarled from the translated damage (LP: 4750), staring up at Yuma through narrowed eyes. “You targeted my Doom Dragon for your first effect, but not your attack. Why?”

“Uncle Dravir gave me a quick grounding in your Infernity. I guessed that the trap card you added to your hand with Archfiend was ‘Infernity Force’, which would destroy my monster and allow you to bring back another Infernity as well.” Yuma remained unsmiling despite the ugly reaction confirming her deductions. “I place one card face down and end my turn.”

“Then it’s my turn, and my chance to get right back after you” Fygmorke cried venomously as he snatched at his deck. “Since this is now a three against one, I’ll be taking turns between each of yours.”

“However.” Fygmorke flinched as a soft voice invaded his mind. A gentle voice yet harsh when addressing him, which even made Juruo and Yuma tremble a little as Ancient Fairy Dragon stamped her authority. “It would be unfair for the others to have to endure three battle phases without being able to defend themselves in between. You will only be able to target the player who took the previous turn.”

“Why... you... fine!” Fygmorke retorted. “I activate the spell card ‘Painful Choice’. This card lets me select any five cards from my deck. You then have to select one for me to add to my hand, whilst the others are sent to the graveyard.”

The images of five cards appeared before Fygmorke; three of them were monsters and two traps. Yuma recognised one of them - Revenge Return - from Sabin’s deck, and how it activated in the graveyard. The other trap was alien to her. As for the monsters, two were Infernity and one was called ‘Necro Defender’. Well if it was any relation to Gardna then that would activate in the graveyard too. Presumably the others all must do as well. Hopefully they would be less of a threat than she guessed that would be. “Take Necro Defender.”

“I will, and I’ll summon him straight to the field.” Defender appeared as a strange violet skinned skull that walked on its muscular arms (DEF: 800). “Now that I’m back to being handless, I’ll activate the effect of my Doom Dragon. You might have thought you were being clever dancing around my trap card, but now you’ll regret not taking him out when he destroys your spellcaster and slams you for seventeen hundred points of damage.”

“From my hand, ‘Effect Veiler’ activates, negating your dragons effect until the end of the turn.”

Fygmorke grinned. Yuma might have addressed him as great uncle, but she was no real relation of his. He was now especially smug that he hadn’t wasted that trap earlier. “I’ve got you either way. I activate the effect of the ‘Skill Successor’ trap in my graveyard. By removing it from play, Doom Dragon gains eight hundred attack points (ATK: 3800). Now crush that little magician.” The dragons burst of black flame engulfed the supreme wizard. Yuma cried in anguish as she felt the sting of the heat, however shielded by her dragon as she was (LP: 2600). Her reaction provided much merriment for Fygmorke. “Let’s not forget my Spell Chronicle. Now you get to select another card for me to add to my hand.”

Four more cards appeared around the magical scroll; Monster Reborn, a trap, and two cards hidden by purple flames. Yuma’s eyes narrowed; Demon had given her no warning about this sort of tactic. “You can have the trap card.”

“Thank you, I’ll place that face down and end my turn. Your move now, you ungrateful worm.”

So focused on trying to break into his doomsday device, Demon didn’t realise that Fygmorke was addressing him. Putting down his tools for a second, the pale and weary looking man picked up his opening six cards and looked at them for the first time. He looked at them for ages, making everyone wait as he planned his move.

“I end my turn.”

“Really?” Fygmorke asked, not attempting to hold back a scoff. “Are you sure? I know what you’re trying to do, but don’t think that it’s going to stop me for a second. You might think you’re being tough just because you can’t die, but when my dragon comes after you, you’ll wish you could.” Demon shrugged and tightened his grip on the metal egg. “Alright if you what it so bad, Doom Dragon will happily oblige. Direct attack!”

The noise was blood curdling. Yuma couldn’t watch as Demon was swallowed entirely by a torrent of black fire, Fygmorke laughing with delight as his victim howled in pain. When the attack subsided, Demon was hunched over the back of his dragon, lying perfectly still. A few seconds passed, and once more Lazarus slowly rose again, in a disjointed way as if pulled by invisible strings, groaning weakly. With a crack of his neck and shoulders, Demon steadied himself again, a strange purple aura emitting from his body (LP: 1000).

“You still don’t get it. I don’t care how much pain I have to go through, I have something that you don’t. Something I haven’t had all my life, but now I do. I have a reason to live and fight; something worth enduring the pain for. As long as I can protect Yuma, her friends, and her future, it’ll be worth it. Now since I took damage while having no cards on my field, I can summon ‘Gorz the Emissary of Darkness’ from my hand.” From the aura emerged a warrior in soulless black armour and a crimson cape, two sickles produced from its gauntlets, and a massive flamberge was slung across its back (ATK: 2700). “Also, Gorz's effect activates; bringing out an Emissary of Darkness token, with attack equal to the damage I took.” Beside the warrior materialised a smaller woman in similar wear, with a short sword (ATK: 3000).

Fygmorke was unruffled as ever. “I activate the spell ‘Magic Reflector’. This places one counter on my Spell Chronicle, protecting it from destruction one time. Turn end.”

[spoiler=Summary - End Round 1]

Juruo - Front Row: Phalanx. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: - LP: 1500

Yuma - Front Row: -. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: 1 LP: 2600

Demon - Front Row: Gorz, Emissary Token. Back Row: -. Hand: 5 LP: 1000

Fygmorke - FR: Doom Dragon, Necro Defender. BR: Spell Chronicle, Face Down x2. Hand: - LP: 4750

With the action diverted from him, Demon turned his attention back to his main objective; trying to disarm that bomb. Obviously he had never foreseen that he would need to do this, having created it to be unstoppable once triggered. Now it was going to take all his brilliance to find a way, under pressure, to stop it from going off. At least, with a little help, he’d overcome the first problem of getting into it. “Thanks for that old man” he called as he lifted off the weakened outer panel and lazily threw it back at him (missing by a distance). “Juruo, I’ll work on this. You and Yuma cover me and get stuck into him.”

“Gladly.” With belief restored, all the aches and pains seemed to evaporate as Juruo drew his card, his body a lot more willing to respond now. “It’s my turn now, and I’m activating the trap card ‘Hope for Escape’. By giving up one thousand life points, I get to draw a card for each multiple of two thousand that makes up the difference between our life points (LP: 500).” This left him flying extremely close to the edge, but picking up his two additional cards he knew it was worth it. “Next, by releasing Phalanx, I can advance summon ‘Dragunity Primus’, and when he takes flight, he brings ‘Dragunity Pilum’ out of my deck to join him.” The proud leader dressed in scarlet and gold rode into battle atop of the bottle green dragon, brandishing his whip with a flourish (ATK: 2200). “Now since he’s riding Pilum, Primus can attack you directly.”

Powerless to stop the duo that was soaring past his Doom Dragon, Fygmorke could only brace himself for impact behind his small shield. It did its job of protecting him, although the damage reducing effect of Pilum probably helped. Enraged by his audacity, Fygmorke resurfaced with another volley of electricity despite the hopeless distance. Barcha had plenty of time to steer away, leaving Juruo even more positive having got under the guys skin (LP: 3650).

“In a world of endless pain, that mere scratch is nothing. Certainly when compared to the effect of Doom Dragon.”

“Well consider this a means towards your end. I place one card face down and end my turn.”

“Bah, I also place one card face down. Then I activate the effect of Infernity Doom Dragon, destroying Primus and hitting you with enough damage to reduce your life points to zero.”

“I activate the trap card ‘Icarus Attack’. Primus is released, but not without taking Doom Dragon and a face down with him.”

“Churl. I activate the ‘Dark Bribe’ trap that darling Yuma so thoughtfully provided me with. Now your trap card is negated at the cost of you drawing an extra card” the sorcerer sneered as the rider and dragon that were dive-bombing his beast vanished in an instance.

“Doesn’t really matter.” Fygmorke blinked in disbelief as Juruo drew another card, sporting a minor smile. “Your dragon may have survived, but his target is gone, and you can’t declare an attack now. Meaning I’m safe for this round.”

“There’s no such thing as safe now!” Fygmorke turned at speed and released – spat – a fireball in Juruo’s direction, one that took the form of a flaming skull that screamed as it homed in on his head. Alarmed, Juruo threw his shield in front of it. The resulting clang as the thing exploded on contact knocked him sideways in his saddle. “I end my turn.”

Yuma gulped as she drew her card. Having just watched the vicious assaults on Juruo and Demon, it was difficult not to feel extremely vulnerable in this position.

“Wherever you are watching me from Sabin, give me strength. I place one card face down and end my turn.”

“I activate the trap card ‘Dust Tornado’, immediately destroying said face down.” Yuma gasped as her ‘Waboku’ card was revealed and exploded. No wonder Juruo had struggled, when this fiend always had the right card ready and waiting. Now he was chasing after her on with those wicked dragons of his, indiscriminately slaughtering anyone between him and his goal.

“So much for the strength you were begging for. Doesn’t it break your heart in two that he’s already broken his promises to protect you, that he left you back in your world?” Yuma shook her head, knowing Fygmorke was trying to distract her. She knew Sabin hadn’t wanted to leave her. Fygmorke shrugged her reaction off. “Love will destroy you Yuma. It’s easier to let me do it. I activate the spell card ‘Dark Eruption’. This returns one dark monster in my graveyard back to my hand. I then summon my ever trusty Infernity Necromancer.” Across the battle field, Demon looked up from his disarming with dread as he heard that name, and saw the robed skeleton remerge. Juruo too was well familiar with this now, and was sick of the sight of its reappearance. “Now for those who missed it, Infernity Necromancer summons one Infernity from my graveyard while I’m handless. I choose Infernity Avenger, then have it tune with Necromancer and Necro Defender to summon ‘Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier’.”

“B...br... Brionac?” Yuma’s words stuck in her throat as just behind, the icy hydra that served the ice queen emerged, staring straight at her and breathing an arctic mist (ATK: 2300)

“Guarantees him an empty hand” muttered Demon irritably, as he continued to struggle with his wiring. “Could be worse.”

“How the hell could it be worse!?” Juruo yelled at him. “That thing’s about to wipe her out! Yuma, dodge it!” Too late. Fygmorke, amid fits of wild delirium, had already cried for the attack from his dragons, which had both fired their respective barrages of fire and ice at Yuma and Ancient Fairy Dragon. He could only watch and hope, as Yuma reached for her trap card.

“I activate the trap card ‘The Fool’s Ruling’. This reduces all battle damage this turn to zero.”

“Still you cling on? How foolish.” Flying his dragon as close as he could, Fygmorke called on another spell in his personal arsenal. Putting his scabby grey palms together and pulling them apart, a small ball of darkness started to form within his control, one that stretched out as the sorcerer spread his arms wider. A swirling mass of pure malevolent energy drawn from death and despair, Fygmorke completed his curse and to the horror of the group, fired the ray of black energy at Yuma. She screamed as it the ray hit the invisible barrier cast around her. The attack continued mercilessly, pushing against the shrinking barrier, Ancient Fairy was struggling to maintain it. Desperately, Juruo called for Barcha to attack, and the pair lunged wildly.

Gandora pulled away from the heavier dragon easily, but doing so was enough to break the rider’s concentration to release the spell. Fygmorke retreated with a cackle, a little breathless from his own spent up energy, but not as much as his target. “If only he could see you now, then he would be able to share in your torture. I almost wish he was here and forced to watch you endure attack after attack, as I slowly turn the screw. Even now you’ve only seen a mere fragment of the power I possess. You won’t survive when they arrive, but in the meantime you’ll just have to watch me take care of these two. As for now, I activate the effect of ‘Necro Defender’. By removing him from my graveyard, I can select Infernity Doom Dragon and make him immune to battle until my next turn.”

“Believe me, you don’t want Sabin here. He’d beat you to death himself, black magic or not.” Juruo motioned Barcha towards his ally, and the dragon responded to his need, flying beside Ancient Fairy Dragon. The holy dragon looked at the very edge of her endurance, and Yuma was just was weary. “You alright?”

“I’m fine. I won’t let him get to me.” She was weak, but determined.

Demon meanwhile was drawing his card, frowning disdainfully at Juruo. “Have a little faith in her Juruo. You should know how strong she is.” He acknowledged he was right and backed off, allowed Demon to proceed with his move. Necro Defender had scuppered his original plan of ramming Doom Dragon with his female emissary token, but plan B was still a good one. “First off, I activate the spell card ‘One for One’. By discarding one monster from my hand, I can summon ‘Djinn Disserere of Rituals’ from my deck. Then by releasing him and my emissary token, I advance summon my own ‘Gandora, Dragon of Destruction’.”

The dragon beneath him roared and turned as the two monsters disappeared, flying backwards to face the enemy (ATK: 0). Demon stared into the eyes of his father; his mentor and supporter who had used him all along, made him suffer all his life. A vein was bulging in the bony temple of the old man, much to Demon’s satisfaction, as he raised his fist. Time for some payback. “Now I activate the effect of Gandora. By paying half of my life points, every other card on the field is destroyed, and then removed from play entirely.” Juruo and Yuma watched as before their eyes Gorz, Brionac, the face down, and the mighty Doom Dragon evaporated into space. Demon buckled for a second as a blood aura surrounded him and his dragon, as the effects took their toll (LP: 500). “On top of that, Gandora gains three hundred attack points for every card destroyed by its effect. Now to put those attack points to use. Direct attack.”

Gandora was not a fire breather. Instead the dragon charged the other, flying faster having been strengthened by its effect, and swung a clawed fist (ATK: 1200). Unable to avoid it, the other dragon screamed in pain as Demon’s dragon caught it in the jaw with a fine uppercut, the spikes in its knuckles ripping through its throat. Fygmorke had to grab a back spike as it thrashed wildly, snatching for oxygen. Thrown around in his seat, the old man’s thin grey lips curled, his eyes narrowed. The sorcerer raised his hand and released another barrage of lightning. Not at the retreating Demon, but at his own dragon. After a few excruciating seconds, the dragon stopped thrashing and settled, flying on behind the appalled looking party in silence with its head bowed, sucking in long rattling breaths (LP: 2450).

“How could you do that?” Yuma gasped in shock. “That monster is your companion.”

Fygmorke looked at her like she was mad. “He is my servant, and nothing else. All the monsters in my deck, even the Infernity, are my servants. They answer to my will without question. As for you Demon, if you thought using my one of my own monsters against me was funny, I assure you I will have the last laugh.”

“Somehow I doubt that certain monsters share that view” Demon muttered darkly. “I once did too, but no longer. As for what’s funny, I do find mildly amusing that Gandora only went in my deck to replace the Final Countdown card you convinced me to use to power this accursed contraption. Next I activate ‘Advance Draw’. Now by releasing Gandora who would have been lost at my turns end anyway, I not only get to keep my ride but draw two cards as well.” Battle services dispensed with, Gandora turned back to the job of flying between the voids debris while Demon picked up his new cards with a smile. The old him would have gone for maximum damage and placed all the cards he could have done face down, thrown away to do as much damage as possible. He smiled because it had been Fygmorke who had made him lose his kamikaze style and adopt this more methodical approach. “Now by removing ‘Stygian Street Patrol’ from my graveyard, I can summon a friend from my hand; ‘Djinn Presider of Rituals’ in defence.”

A pot bellied imp in rudimentary armour and wielding a shield and sword appeared to Demon’s left (DEF: 1400) whilst his eyes flickered back to the bomb sat between his legs. Now he had it open he could see all the mechanisms, the whole complex set of works he had designed to be impossible to stop, and also the internal timer. He was the only one who knew the exact time he had left to try and disarm it, and he didn’t like what he saw. “I’ll end my turn with a face down.”

“About time. I draw.” Juruo and Yuma looked back across the empty playing field to where Fygmorke was trailing after them on his injured dragon, relieved they couldn’t be targeted. But with him down to his last card - save for his charged Spell Chronicle - surely he was on the back foot for the first time. He didn’t look like someone as such though, as he glanced at his card. “I activate the spell card ‘Infernity Launcher’. Now when I have no cards in my hand, I can send this card to the graveyard to summon two Infernity monsters back from the grave. I choose Necromancer and Archfiend.”

“Here we go again then” Juruo sighed as the two infuriatingly familiar demons reappeared, Fygmorke accepting another trap card from his deck and placing it face down. The skeletal fiend cast its arm out to resurrect what would surely be the Avenger tuner. However it did not come out. Instead emerged a strange mechanical fiend that took the form of a spinning top (DEF: 0)

“This is my ‘Infernity Randomizer’, but before we get to him, I’m going to activate my Spell Chronicle once again. It’s your turn to choose a card Demon, and your options are limited.”

“Before that, I activate my face down spell card ‘Half Shut’. This makes my Djinn Presider able to survive all battles this turn.” Demon immediately activated his card before the full Chronicle could be used. Fygmorke shrugged, as the three cards appeared once more, the sight of which chilled Demon as something dawned on him. ‘This situation. He could play them now...’

“Monster Reborn.” It took less than a second for Demon to declare his choice.

Fygmorke tutted to himself as the spell drifted down to his hand. “Your end is still inevitable dear son. I activate Monster Reborn, instantly summoning my Hundred Eyes Dragon back to the field.”

“Uncle, you sure about this?” Yuma called out.

He didn’t look back at her, just nodding simply. “You still can’t destroy my Djinn.”

“Then we’ll do this another way” Fygmorke growled, placing the tips of his fingers on top of his deck and grinning wildly. “Your play is still reckless. You’ve sacrificed nearly all of your life points for one desperate plan, and now I’m going to make you pay. You have never meant anything to me, you were just my tool in this, and now you’re of no further use. This time I’ll make sure you stay down, or at least Infernity Randomizer will. Since there are no cards in my hand, Randomizer enables to me to draw the top card of my deck. If it’s a spell or a trap, I take five hundred points of damage. But if it’s a monster, you take damage equal to its level times two hundred. Anything level three or higher and you’re finished. Give me that bomb and I might make your last minutes less painful.”

“Just get on with it” Demon muttered, gripping the metal bomb a little tighter. He may have been trying to sound confident, but he was sweating, twirling one of the tools he was working with between his fingers. Juruo held his breath, Yuma crossed herself, as Fygmorke paused for an agonizing moment... then another... before drawing his card.

The sorcerer grunted as if struck by an invisible hand, and the three breathed again (LP: 1950). He hadn’t got his card. “I place one card face down and end my turn.”

[spoiler=Summary - End Round 2]

Juruo - Front Row: -. Back Row: -. Hand: 1 LP: 500

Yuma - Front Row: -. Back Row: - Hand: 1 LP: 2600

Demon - Front Row: Djinn Presider. Back Row: -. Hand: 2 LP: 500

Fygmorke - FR: Hundred Eyes Dragon, Necromancer, Archfiend, Randomizer. BR: Spell Chronicle, Face Down x2. Hand: - LP: 1950

‘What do I do now?’ Juruo thought as he reached for his card. Masked Dragon and Graceful Revival were currently in his hand. ‘I can’t just defend with that Randomizer on the field, else I’m in danger of being defeated next turn. But if I go after it with Masked Dragon, his Hundred Eyes Dragon will take it and my remaining life and out. And with Necromancer out, he can always bring Randomizer back and try his luck again.’ Juruo’s drawn card provided him an imperfect solution.

“I summon ‘Masked Dragon’ and attack Randomizer.” The red and grey dragons flaming breath effortlessly took down the strange fiend, if only for now (ATK: 1400). Then I place one card face down and end my turn.”

Fygmorke’s glare sharpened at the sight of the face down. For the signer to leave Masked Dragon out in this fashion could only mean that he wanted to be attacked. Well this could be dealt with simply enough. “First I’ll summon ‘Card Guard’ to the field. Then I activate the effect of Hundred Eyes Dragon, removing Randomizer from my graveyard to gain its effect until the end of the turn.”

“Trap activate, ‘Hallowed Life Barrier’. By discarding one card, all battle and effect damage becomes zero.”

Fygmorke paused for a moment, before going on with the assault undeterred. There was nothing to gain by using Randomizer’s effect now, but he had flushed out the signers face down at least. “However your barrier does not save your precious monsters. Archfiend, attack Masked Dragon.”

“When Masked Dragon is destroyed, I can summon ‘Decoy Dragon’ from my deck.” Juruo’s closest ally since the day this madness began, the baby blue dragon appeared in the space above his head. Turning to the sight of all Fygmorke’s monsters terrified it (DEF: 200). Juruo knew however that he needed its effect to give him a little protection for now. “Good to see you again buddy.” The dragon cried in reply.

“Grr, I end my battle phase and activate my monsters effects. First I’ll activate Card Guard’s; placing a guard counter on Spell Chronicle. Then Necromancer’s, summoning Avenger from my graveyard. Avenger tunes with Necromancer and Card Guard, to Synchro summon my second Doom Dragon.” Juruo swallowed as the second great black dragon appeared behind them, roaring furiously. “Turn end.”

This was desperate now, and Yuma was in real trouble. Placing a hand on her deck, she prayed hard and drew. ‘Ancient Sunshine’. Possibly the last card she wanted to see right now. Her hand started to tremble unconsciously as she looked at the trap card. It was over.

“Oh dear. Seems that someone didn’t get the miracle they were hoping for. Now I activate my trap card ‘Despised Reality’.” Yuma blinked as Fygmorke activated his trap with a twisted grin. “This trap card gives you the chance to summon any level four or lower monster from your deck in attack mode. However if you do so, I get to draw two cards. So what’s it going to be? Just know that no matter what you do, no matter how much you try to fight, you are still doomed. Such is the nature of our world that I’m trying to show you.”

Yuma couldn’t believe it. Fygmorke hadn’t just handed her a lifeline, he had possibly handed her certain victory. The card she was so dismayed to have drawn, Ancient Sunshine, was suddenly absolutely the card she needed. Because now he was giving her the option to summon Regulus straight from her deck, at the cost of giving him two cards, something that was a disadvantage to his deck. No, there had to be a motive behind this. He had another card face down, maybe that. Maybe she should refuse, accept defeat and leave it to the others. But defeat here, a direct attack from those dragons, could be fatal. Then there was her other card. She was being given a choice, when she had none at all.

“I summon ‘Regulus’ from my deck.” The mighty lion appeared beside her, running through the space beside Ancient Fairy Dragon (ATK: 1700). “Then I place two cards face down.”

Fygmorke glanced at his two cards, and gave them a frustrated scowl. “I activate ‘Infernity Inferno’, discarding my two drawn cards to send two more Infernity monsters from my deck to my graveyard. Then it’s my turn.” This card was met with similar distain. “I place one card face down, leaving me handless once again. Now prepare to meet total oblivion at the hands of my Doom Dragon.”

As the black dragon prepared its devastating effect once more, Yuma closed her eyes and took a long breath. Whatever happened, this was what she had to do. “I activate the trap ‘Ancient Sunshine’. Now by removing Ancient Fairy Dragon from play entirely, you take twenty one hundred points of damage. It might mean sacrificing everything, but if it’s what I have to do to take you down then so be it.”

“Even your dragon can’t save you. When I’m about to take damage, I can activate the effect of the ‘Infernity Doomslinger’ that’s in my graveyard.” Fygmorke picked up his card and showed it to Yuma with another malevolent grin, as the ghost of a gunman appeared between them, a revolver pointed at them both. “This gives you another choice Yuma, which is whether or not I get to draw a card. If you choose for me to not draw, then I take no damage from your card effect. But if you let me draw, one of us will take the damage. If it’s a spell or a trap, it will be me and I will be defeated, for all the good you think that will do you. But if it’s a monster, then you take the damage instead.”

Yuma sighed. Both Juruo and Demon called out for her not to do it, but their words however fell on deaf ears. She had to go on. Even if it meant sacrificing everything, she had to take this one chance to save them all. “So draw.”

Slowly, Fygmorke drew his card, and his cruel smile grew wider than ever. Of course, he was not someone who believed in cards being able to answer to the call of their duelist, but if he had been then now would have been one of those moments. He hadn’t just drawn a monster. He had drawn the perfect monster. One that he had been waiting all duel for. His breathing quickened in his demented excitement, wild eyes spinning with excitement. He would destroy all who tried to stop him. “My card is a monster; therefore you take all the damage from your trap card.”

There was a blinding flash as Yuma’s trap card exploded. Stunned by the blast, the events of the next two minutes seemed to pass in slow motion. Sacrificed by the last desperate effect of Ancient Sunshine, Ancient Fairy Dragon disappeared in a ray of light from underneath Yuma, helpless to stop her from falling into space in slow motion as if sinking through water (LP: 500). Turning in the space to look at Fygmorke, she and the others saw him hold up his drawn card. It barely even registered that Doom Dragons effect had been cancelled out by the draw, because either side of him; Infernity Archfiend and Hundred Eyes Dragon, and then the beast itself, turned to shadows and sank into nothingness, their souls sucked into a gateway that opened below them from which a terrible sound emitted, under which his insane laughter rang around the void. “Now I release my three monsters.”

“No!” Demon shouted in the background.

“Rise from the blasted inferno and purge those before you of everything that they cling to, leaving them with nothing except pure terror. Come forth the raging god, THE WICKED ERASER!”

Behind Fygmorke rose a spine chilling monster. Gargantuan in size, a winged serpent with armoured bronze hide covered in the blood of its victims, as were the steel shredding curved claws that flexed and stretched. Craning above them, the beasts face was hidden by its horned helmet, saving them from the horror behind it. The sight alone was enough to chill the soul, the scream made the heart stop. Somewhere below Fygmorke was speaking, although his words were falling on deaf ears as the three were transfixed by the massive devil that was staring back at them, the first of the three wicked gods.

“The Eraser gains one thousand points of attack for every card on your side of the field, of which there are a combined total of four.” Another scream from on high as the devils power rose (ATK: 4000). “Your hope ends now. Eraser, attack Regulus and destroy Yuma.”

It was over very quickly. A clawed hand reached down to the beast and closed around it, then withdrew again, leaving the lion seemingly unharmed. However in its hand was a white spectre, a ghost identical to the beast, possibly the monsters very soul. With a clench of its claws the soul was crushed, and Regulus collapsed; snuffed out in an instant. Now floating alone in the black beyond, Yuma reached out to the space where Ancient Fairy Dragon had been. Her voice was extremely weak.

“I may be going out, but I’m going out fighting. My trap ‘Wish of the Final Effort’ activates. Now when my monster is destroyed, its attack points are transferred to one of my partner’s life points.” It was Demon who received Yuma’s final blessing as the blue aura surrounding his horrified being indicated (LP: 2200). He didn’t notice, as his attention was solely on the niece who was slowly falling into the starry abyss below him.

Postscripts in spoiler below, just a few notes about the chapter in general.

[spoiler=Postscripts]

Going to leave some comments for expected questions here, as my Interweb time is still limited unfortunately (should be sorted within the next 4 weeks... long four weeks).

Well, all hell's about to break loose now isn't it? I hope that Yuma and Demon's miraculous escape and appearance makes some sense and doesn't seem cheap in any way. (Although I have a suspision that some of you had suspisions that they weren't finished yet).

Odd thing. Wheras the battle royale was pencilled in for a long long time, the final battle has changed several times throughout the course of this story. First it was just going to be Juruo vs Demon, then Juruo Sabin and Hikari against him either three on one or gauntlet style. It was only after the final battle of arc two, where it was rightly pointed out I'd weakened Demon's all powerful aura too much that Fygmorke got bumped up to final battle. Again the battle went through several possible versions (including Juruo and Erin vs Fygmorke and even Sabin and Hikari vs Fygmorke in some fashion) but I'm happy with what I've settled for now in Yuma and Demon getting involved. I know Yuma hasn't been as involved as Sabin and Hikari in the story but it kinda felt the most... right... to me anyway.

Also as you can imagine, this was bloody awful to write. It may be noticable that towards the end there were some actions that weren't as good as they could have been. When I thought I'd finished I noticed a load of errors in that section and had to do a lot of surgery, without editing the ending too much. I ended up completely losing track of the amount of monsters Fygmorke had out. Despised Reality was originally supposed to be used with Limit Impulse for the tributes, but then I'd have too many monsters out, and using HED and Doom Dragon for tributes was supposed to be a subminal statement. As for the inclusion of Painful Choice, I felt it - along with Spell Chronicle, Despised Reality and Doomslinger - made a nice 'pick your poison' element to Fygmorke's deck.

Despite all that rambling I hope it all turned out okay and you enjoyed it, and my comments didn't dampen that too much.

At long last. Chapter 66, the final chapter of this story - The Wicked End - will be up Saturday night. I've very nearly finished it and its come to about 20 pages on Word (6 times the length of Chapter 1 would you believe) and its going to be released in two parts. See you then :)

I have very mixed feelings about Yuma and Demon being in the final battle.

At first, I was kinda mad that Juruo didn't get to defeat the Big Bad alone, since I'm a "main" lover at heart. I'm just used to the cliches with the main being able to defeat the final bad guy on his own.

But then again, Yuma and Demon are his family, so if anyone had to participate, it should've been those two. And them being there reinforces the fact that Juruo really could rely on his friends, compared to the empty words usually spouted by Shonen mains.

In the end, it's not a bad thing that you went with that angle, I'm just not wholly satisfied for Juruo's sake.

The duel was intense, some good stuff on my end at least.

I also kinda laughed at Demon using a screwdriver. The image is just funny to me for some reason.

Is it really that easy to dismantle the bomb though?

Anyways, really looking forward to the finale.

I, too, was faced with mixed feelings concerning Dravir's and Yuma's involvement. I was all for not making the final battle 1vs1, but if you went down that road, you might as well have given Sabin and Hikari another chance. Chapter 64 was one of my favorite chapters, simply for the fact that it was so dark and desperate, on the contrary, 65 kind of reduced that atmosphere, and made the whole thing seem more... uh... un-final-battlish. Regardless, you outdid yourself in the actual duel, it is seriously one of the best you've written. I loved Magic Chronicle, and the use of the steeds as offensive monsters by Dravir and Fyg - makes me wonder if Juruo's gonna summon Barcha. Uh, Ancient Fairy wasn't played... again. Though I guess Sunshine kinda rectifies that. I feel you could've done with a better Battle Royale rule rather than 'you can only attack the last person who played', and a better way to enforce that rule than 'BECAUSE ANCIENT FAIRY SAID SO, DURR'. But it didn't detract much from the action, and the 3vs1 was well implemented. Only parts I didn't like were Death Gunman - that thing is seriously the most failful plot device card ever - and kinda the ERASER. I think cards as important in the YGO canon as the Devil Gods could do better than a last-minute power creep for the main villain.

So yeah, you have some really nice things going on. Very much looking forward to the final chapter, to see how it will all go down.

Will address as many points as can, but having to be really careful with replies now, since I don't want to spoiler anything.

My two favorite charactaers, infernities, doomslinger, and possibley a cameo (Defender)!! DEMON IS AWESOME, HE DESERVES UTOPIA!

Personally, I'm quite happy with how Demon has developed over this. Having started out as 'I want to destroy everything cuz I'm evil' from him to evolve has been quite nice. Rest assured he gets what he deserves.

I do like the element Doomslinger and cards like Despised Reality and Painful Choice bought to this deck.

I have very mixed feelings about Yuma and Demon being in the final battle.

At first, I was kinda mad that Juruo didn't get to defeat the Big Bad alone, since I'm a "main" lover at heart. I'm just used to the cliches with the main being able to defeat the final bad guy on his own.

But then again, Yuma and Demon are his family, so if anyone had to participate, it should've been those two. And them being there reinforces the fact that Juruo really could rely on his friends, compared to the empty words usually spouted by Shonen mains.

In the end, it's not a bad thing that you went with that angle, I'm just not wholly satisfied for Juruo's sake.

The duel was intense, some good stuff on my end at least.

I also kinda laughed at Demon using a screwdriver. The image is just funny to me for some reason.

Is it really that easy to dismantle the bomb though?

Anyways, really looking forward to the finale.

It was always gonna be tough for Juruo to win this one on his own, especially after just been torn apart by Erin. There were viable cases for several characters to get in on this, but couldn't involve them all (and I thought about, but really didn't want to do the Juruo borrows RDA, BRD, Brionac, Chimeratech, a Flamvell, etc). Besides, Juruo has hogged a lot of the limelight.

Dravir was kinda always supposed to be the techy guy, hence why Fygmorke needed him to make the bomb. And made it well he did, a little too well (since he had no intention of it ever being stopped at the time). He only managed to get the bomb open after the blast from Doom Dragon had weakened it (odd that that wouldn't set it off though isn't it?) Stopping the bomb is not going to be easy though.

I, too, was faced with mixed feelings concerning Dravir's and Yuma's involvement. I was all for not making the final battle 1vs1, but if you went down that road, you might as well have given Sabin and Hikari another chance. Chapter 64 was one of my favorite chapters, simply for the fact that it was so dark and desperate, on the contrary, 65 kind of reduced that atmosphere, and made the whole thing seem more... uh... un-final-battlish. Regardless, you outdid yourself in the actual duel, it is seriously one of the best you've written. I loved Magic Chronicle, and the use of the steeds as offensive monsters by Dravir and Fyg - makes me wonder if Juruo's gonna summon Barcha. Uh, Ancient Fairy wasn't played... again. Though I guess Sunshine kinda rectifies that. I feel you could've done with a better Battle Royale rule rather than 'you can only attack the last person who played', and a better way to enforce that rule than 'BECAUSE ANCIENT FAIRY SAID SO, DURR'. But it didn't detract much from the action, and the 3vs1 was well implemented. Only parts I didn't like were Death Gunman - that thing is seriously the most failful plot device card ever - and kinda the ERASER. I think cards as important in the YGO canon as the Devil Gods could do better than a last-minute power creep for the main villain.

So yeah, you have some really nice things going on. Very much looking forward to the final chapter, to see how it will all go down.

I know, Sabin and Hikari got screwed... again. Like I said above, didn't want to overload it with too many duelists, or borrow their cards in their absense. Don't worry, we haven't seen the last of them, and their current absense does create some stuff in the final chapter.

The duel is probably down to the fact that Infernity are one of the few sets that I have actually, genuinely, duelled with personally on YVD. (I like the rush of playing handless, and that it could all go horribly wrong when you inevitably get screwed by Dark Hole/monster Reborn combo). As for the steeds, that was the most awkward thing to work out. We saw the effect of a monster being 'destroyed' had on Yuma, hence why I had to dance around Gandora's effect for Demon and why Juruo isn't riding Stardust. For the royale itself, I watched the Lester vs Luna and Leo duel to pick up their rulings because I thought it was the way that had gone, but turned out Lester had gone for Leo every turn. Couldn't think of any ways for anyone to survive three battle phases without being able to play cards though unfortunately.

Originally it was going to be Malefics, since they are so easy to ping from nothing and have some S/T support. But since they are field spell reliant it wouldn't have been so out of nowhere, and the bosses Paradox and Truth Dragons just weren't right in that they have one time trigger effects and could be beaten by MST.

By the way, important news. I HAVE FINISHED WRITING THE FINAL CHAPTER! God that only took a few weeks to do. Just got to read it all back and give it a last check tonight, then catch up on some sleep. See you all tomorrow night for the finale... the wicked end.

Lol, the status that you posted was funny. I pictured it the entire cast singing about the end of the world, with Hikari as lead. :P

I just posted to say the end was coming. The song (which I got bored of after 20 seconds) was posted by Aggro. So I have no idea what it was about...

Anyway, THE END IS NIGH!!! THE END IS HERE, AND NOW!!! After:

- 69 chapters (including bonuses); spanning

- 33 weeks and made up of

- 321,252 words; bringing you

- 32 duels; in which

- 819 cards were played, and also including

- 13 major deaths, and

- 2 hook ups,

and much much more, CHAPTER 66, THE FINAL CHAPTER, IS HERE!!! ARMAGEDDON IS AT HAND!!!

ARE YOU AS EXCITED AS I AM? ENOUGH TO KEEP CAPS LOCK ON??? (Probably not, so I'll stop now).

You may want to switch off your phone, make sure nothing is in the oven and tell mom and dad you're out, because this chapter is long. So long I've had to break it in half.

So, as ever, I hope you all enjoy it, and that this end lives up to all your expectations. Here is the end.

[spoiler=Chapter 66 - Part I]

Chapter 66 - The Wicked End

“Juruo!”

“On it! Barcha, dive!”

There was no real need for any command; Barcha had already plunged after the girl who was falling down into space. Swooping fast to catch her from below, Yuma landed with a thump in Juruo’s arms. The intensity of everything had taken its inevitable toll on her. Her chest was slowly rising and falling as she took shallow breaths, her brown eyes flickering as darkness enveloped her. Her small voice managed to pass a few words between gasps.

“Sabin’s okay... right?”

“Yeah, he’s fine. Just hold on for him, I promise he’s doing the same for you.” Yuma smiled briefly, before exhaustion finally caught up with her and slipped her into unconsciousness. Her heartbeat and breathing were slow, but at least steady. Cradling her in his lap, Juruo nodded to his dragon, the mighty Dragunity Knight Barcha. Yuma’s battle was over now, but theirs would continue (LP: 500). Rescue accomplished they ascended back to a level plain with Demon and signalled Yuma was okay, prompting a relieved sigh. Demon had been patched up slightly by Yuma’s final card but was still in a bad way physically (LP: 2200), still furiously trying to deactivate the bomb in his arms whilst riding Gandora and battling on in this duel, defending himself from the sorcerer Fygmorke who was pursuing them on his labouring twin dragon. Then there was the great fiend cruising behind him, the devil god known as The Eraser. With Yuma’s defeat, the Eraser’s attack had fallen, reflecting the two cards its adversaries had on the field; Decoy Dragon beside Juruo (DEF: 200), and Djinn Presider by Demon (DEF: 1400). But as far as positives go, that was about it (ATK: 2000). Far below the mighty demon serpent, Fygmorke was sat with his twisted grin still in place (LP: 1950).

“My turn, and your hopes of continuing on your miserable paths, ends now.”

“Demon, any suggestions on how to beat that thing?”

Demon nodded gravely, twirling his screwdriver gadget between his fingers in that fashion that suggested ill confidence. “A few. The three Wicked Gods all pack a powerful punch and nasty side effects that merit their titles, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be beaten. Destruction by card effects is the way to go. Course he knows this to, and will be looking to protect them with his own card effects, so we need to do this as quickly as possible. Because believe me when I tell you the other two are even stronger than this guy.” Juruo swallowed, who wouldn’t when being stared down by that thing chasing them, but was used to facing dangers like this now, and overcoming them. He inclined his head to Demon, ready to fight, who responded in kind.

“Alright then, we’re with my turn. I summon ‘Sonic Bird’ in defence mode.” The jet propelled eagle soared overhead with a battle caw, whilst another card in Demon’s shield offered itself to him. He accepted it and steadied himself. Demon had never been this terrified in his life, knowing what they were against and what was still to come, whilst the bomb in his lap was tick ticking away the time. But yet he had also never felt this alive. To be fighting for a cause that he had been sure was lost, but fighting on to try to avert the doomed fate he had delivered everyone to the brink of, to fight for atonement, and most of all for his niece, who was lying delicately on the back of the other dragon. His curse didn’t matter. His fear didn’t matter. His terrible, terrible mistakes didn’t matter. All that mattered was that he made up for them, by stopping Fygmorke and Armageddon by any means possible. With these thought swirling around him, Demon raised his card. “Now Sonic Bird is summoned, I can add a ritual spell to my hand, which I’m activating right now. By releasing Sonic and Djinn Presider, I activate ‘End of the World’, to summon ‘Demise, King of Armageddon’!”

“Yes!” Juruo punched the air as the axe wielder in heavy black armour rose from the flames at its feet, staring back at the fiend chasing them (ATK: 2400). “Thanks to Yuma’s Final Effort card, Demise can activate his effect to destroy every other card on the field, then attack Fygmorke directly.” His elation was short lived as Demon shook his head.

“Afraid it won’t be as easy as that. Demise, attack Wicked Eraser.”

Soaring toward the belly of the beast, Demise swung the axe and struck good and true. The Eraser screamed, but it was not the scream of death. It was a scream of fury. Below it, Fygmorke shook his grey scarred face with a cackle, seemingly nonplussed by the slight dent in life points (LP: 1550).

“You should know better. When The Eraser is destroyed, he takes every other card on the field with it. Except of course my Spell Chronicle, which is protected by its guard counter.”

The world disappeared into a storm of strength never felt before by Juruo. The black hurricane that whipped around all of the combatants in the wake of the dying god, destroying Demise and the startled Decoy Dragon. When the storm subsided at long last, Demon looked back at the digital display on the bomb with a creeping dread clutching at his throat.

23:10.

“Even still, Demise can still use the effect passed onto him by Djinn Presider, letting me draw a card. I place two cards face down and end my turn. Your move old man, and you’ve got nothing except your half empty Spell Chronicle. You better pray to your gods that they are more forgiving than I’m feeling.”

“I don’t need to pray to them or any of my duel monsters, they are serving me” Fygmorke snarled in response as he drew. “I place one card face down, and end my turn. Now it’s the signers turn, the chosen hero and protector of the spirit world, whose field is even emptier than mine. Let’s see how he copes with it. If his precious duel monsters that are using him for their survival give him what he wants.”

“You asked it” Juruo called as he drew.

[spoiler=Summary - Round 3]

Juruo - Front Row: -. Back Row: -. Hand: - LP: 500

Demon - Front Row: -. Back Row: Face Down x2. Hand: - LP: 2200

Fygmorke - FR: -. BR: Spell Chronicle, Face Down. Hand: - LP: 1950

‘My deck, the spirits in it, they’ve given me just what I need to finish this. It all depends on his face down’ Juruo thought as he looked upon his noble warrior, Legionnaire. “You’re wrong thinking my duel monsters are only looking out for themselves by fighting you. They’re looking out for me and everyone who can’t fight for themselves. We stand together, united together against you. Such is our combined spirit. ‘Dragunity Legionnaire’ comes to arms, and when summoned he brings Dragunity Phalanx back from the grave to join him.” The winged strongman and bronze plated dragon appeared for a moment, before Phalanx did its thing and the two were engulfed in emerald light.

“Now I Synchro summon. Soar ‘Vortex the Whirlwind’.” From the tornado of black feathers emerged the bird warrior, armed to the beak with guns, its swinging chain, and enough muscle to finish the sorcerer if its attack went through (ATK: 2100). As long as that face down didn’t activate. “Vortex, finish this. Direct attack!”

“Call of the Haunted’ activates, summoning from my graveyard my ‘Infernity Destroyer’.” A black skinned devil rose in front of Fygmorke, covered in strange armour and ceremonial charms and flexing its claws (ATK: 2300). “Destroyer outmuscles your bird, and you have nothing else to play to prevent it.”

“I end my turn.” Juruo groaned that he hadn’t been able to finish the duel, but he wasn’t out yet. Destroyer only just outmatched his monster, and even if he summoned another Infernity, Vortex would bring out another winged beast when it was destroyed to protect him. Unless...

“It’s my turn. I place one card face down, and then I can move on to the fun part.” Not that tone again. That delirious tone that had heralded the arrival of that Wicked God, and with it Yuma’s defeat. The sorcerer had raised his bony fist, his empty hand, and was clenching it as if assured of victory. “Did I forget to mention that when Infernity Destroyer takes down your monster when I’m handless, you take sixteen hundred points of damage?”

‘No way.’ Juruo’s mind went numb. ‘I’ve got nothing to stop that. I’m done for.’ Visions of his mother and father swam before him. Images of Sabin. Erin. Mel. Luca. Raesir. Everyone else who he fought beside, who had died before him. Hikari. Somewhere far away, Fygmorke screamed in victory. The destroyer was closing in Vortex, and pulling back its clawed fist.

“I activate my face down spell card, ‘Shrink’, cutting Destroyer’s attack in half.”

Juruo opened his eyes, astounded to see Demon with his head bowed and hand raised. Between the two duelists, Destroyer had lunged hopelessly at the bird warrior it was now outmatched by, who responded with a counter strike of the chain weapon. Destroyer exploded, causing Fygmorke to be hit with the damage. For someone so close to running out of life points, he seemed awfully happy (LP: 600). But Juruo’s attention was solely on Demon. He couldn’t quite believe what had just happened.

“You... saved me...”

Demon shook his head again, taking in a long rattling breath. “No. I haven’t. I just doomed us.”

“Too right you have” Fygmorke interrupted from behind them. “Thanks to his help, my Spell Chronicle is now fully charged, meaning I can make you add one of the remaining two cards to my hand at any time I choose. Of course, you’ve probably guessed by now what they are.” Fygmorke allowed for an awkward pause for that realisation to sink in. “As for now since Destroyer has gone, Infernity Avenger will rise to take its place (DEF: 0). I end my turn.”

Demon drew his card with one hand and a brief look, before returning his gaze to the bomb. 23: 17. ‘This is getting desperate. I can’t shut this thing down; I’ve built it too well. As for the duel, I can’t let either of his remaining gods to hit the field. That means I have to leave him with as little as possible to use as a sacrifice for them. Even if that means putting everything on the brink.’

“I summon ‘Stygian Security’ in attack mode, and go right after Avenger.” Hardly the monster you’d want for battle, the tiny winged fiend armed with only a small club was extremely weak (ATK: 100). Desperate times called for desperate measures, and right now it was enough to see of the gunslinger, albeit with a slight skirmish as the two tiny fiends tussled. Looking around the void, Demon could see things were getting worse with every passing minute. The void was getting darker as each star slowly collapsed; the nucleus to his far left was growing darker too, small explosions erupting from its surface as the rocky debris was sucked into it. It was like this reality itself sensed the end was nigh, unless he thought of something very quickly. “I end my turn.”

“Then let’s do this” Fygmorke called after them, revelling in the mayhem he’d caused with malice. “I place one card face down, then activate my face down spell ‘Zero Max’. This summons any Infernity from my graveyard, and then destroys all monsters on the field with less attack than it has. But you don’t need to worry about that as the monster I’m summoning has no attack points. My Infernity Necromancer returns once more.” Everyone ignored the rocks that had collided and shattered above their heads as their focus snapped to the returning fiend. “Next Necromancer revives ‘Infernity Beetle’ from my graveyard, and when I’m handless I can release one beetle to summon the other two from my deck. Then I activate Spell Chronicle.” Lightning crashed across the sky around the edge of the inner sector of the void, as the dimension that connected and held all the worlds sensed what was coming, as the two cards hidden by the violet embers appeared either side of Fygmorke as he wordlessly held out each hand, ready to catch either selection.

Demon sighed with defeat. “Guess there’s no choice. The one on your right.”

“Good boy” Fygmorke smirked as the card floated down to him. “You should be relieved, you will soon be free. I release my three monsters.” The two black beetles and the robed skeleton withered and perished, their souls becoming nothing more than smoky shadows to be devoured by the gateway that appeared beneath them, and the terror rising from within. “Banished from the heavens and fallen into corruption, I resurrect the almighty ruler of the Wicked Gods. The silent doom, THE WICKED AVATAR!”

From the gates of hell emerged the second god. A perfect black sphere rose above them, one that dwarfed everything that had come before it. An entity that drained all light and life into its corrupt being and destroyed it there within, just floating over their heads as they charged onward. There was no escape from its reach, from its glare.

“When The Avatar is summoned, neither of you can activate a single spell or trap card until Demon’s next end phase. Furthermore, The Avatar cannot be defeated in battle, for its attack and defence are always one hundred points higher than the next highest attack on the field.” Juruo looked at his Vortex in panic, then to the god whose insane effects were going to crush the remaining life out of them, that was tauntingly outmatching his monster (ATK: 2200). “Fortunately for the pair of you, due to the effects of Zero Max I can’t attack this turn, so I’m done for now. But not as done as you are.”

[spoiler=Summary - Round 4]

Juruo - Front Row: Vortex. Back Row: -. Hand: - LP: 500

Demon - Front Row: Stygian Security. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: - LP: 2200

Fygmorke - FR: WICKED AVATAR. BR: Spell Chronicle, Face Down. Hand: - LP: 600

“We’re not done yet.” Demon blinked as Juruo called back across the void, and couldn’t believe he was seeing Juruo... smile? “As long as we’ve got our hope, along with a few cards and some life points, we’re still in this. Speaking of having a few cards left, this duel’s been going on for a while now, and ever since you’ve been taking the extra turns, I’ve been counting every card you’ve played, drawn and milled. Right now, you’ve gone through exactly forty six of them. Meaning if we can hold on just a little longer, you’re just a few turns from decking out, and not even your god card can stop that.”

“Nice idea Juruo” Demon interrupted with a sigh. “Unfortunately my old man is a slow duelist, and the kind who prepares for every eventuality. Thus it will be another fourteen cards before that happens.” Juruo’s face fell as soon as it had lit up, but strangely Demon was smiling now. “Guess that means we’ll be needed to slay those gods the old fashioned way.”

“You think we can?”

“Sure we can. Like you said, we’re not giving up and neither are our decks. Besides, who wants to win on a technicality? I want to destroy him and those foul gods of his for good. You with me?”

“Ha, you bet! Draw!” Juruo cried, whilst Demon returned to hacking away at the bomb (23: 25) in an inspired, slightly scary frenzy. ‘Nice. If Demon knows we can beat those things, then anything is possible. And I think I know how to make possibility a reality, if I can draw the right cards.’ “First I switch Vortex the Whirlwind into defence mode (DEF: 700). Then I’ll summon ‘Vortex Trooper’, also in defence.”

“How can you laugh in the face of a god?” Fygmorke asked incredulously as the strange turbine machine appeared on Juruo’s opposite flank (DEF: 600). “Bah, we’ll see whose laughing soon. I activate ‘Pot of Avarice’, returning Mirage, three Beetles and The Eraser to my deck to draw two new cards. Next, by discarding my own Gandora, I can special summon ‘Hardened Armed Dragon’ to the field.” As Demon looked up from his work to wipe the sweat running down his pale face, the sight of the scorpion like dragon troubled him (ATK: 1500). “Then I activate my face down ‘Aurora Draw’, letting me draw another two cards.” As he picked them up, the sorcerer’s eyes flashed.

“Ahahaha. By reducing the level of The Avatar by one, I can summon ‘Level Eater’ from my graveyard. Then by returning one of my cards to the top of my deck, ‘Plaguespreader Zombie’ is summoned too.”

“Something’s off. Plaguerspreader’s a tuner monster, but...” Juruo thought as the rotting corpse appeared, as did the tiny beetle, far below the shadow of The Avatar. He was sweating too, his breathing rapid. Lying in front of him, Yuma’s breathing had become frantic too. Even now in her dreams, she sensed something was wrong too.

His fear was realised as soon as Fygmorke raised his hand, and for the third time his three monsters were dragged into the portal opening below them.

“What... no... no no no! That thing’s locked away by Spell Chronicle.”

Fygmorke blinked in surprise. “You mean this card?” he asked innocently, rolling his wrist to point at the scroll that appeared at will and the card that was no longer hidden by the purple flames. The spell card ‘Fires of Doomsday’. “Whenever did you get the impression that it had to be a Wicked God?”

“If I just picked the other card...” Demon choked in horror, as the monsters turned into ash, devoured by the flames erupting from the rim of the gateway that was rumbling ominously. Juruo shook his head.

“You know, it really doesn’t surprise me that you should stoop that low, even with your so-called power. I was right earlier. You’re not a duelist; you’re a coward.”

“It doesn’t matter what you think. Tell it to the judge of the sinful souls that are sent down below, to serve for eternity in the court of the mighty, the magnificent, the final thing you will ever see! THE WICKED DREADROOT!”

From the abyss rose a tall demon, a muscular giant with thick green skin covered by bone armour and a horned skull for a helmet, a pair of red eyes flashing in the gloom high above them. Wings sprouted from the demon’s back as it towered over them, staring down upon those that disgraced his presence. His strength was mighty enough on its own, before Fygmorke even got to the effect (ATK: 4000).

“When The Dreadroot is out on the field, the attack and defence of all other monsters is cut in half. Also because Hardened Armed Dragon was sacrificed to summon him, he can’t be destroyed by card effects. Making him invincible!” Fygmorke broke off for a fit of laughter, to let this sink in to Juruo and Demon’s minds. “Course, this doesn’t apply to The Avatar, whose attack is still higher than even his. Now Dreadroot, crush Vortex Trooper.” Like The Eraser before it, a giant hand reached down towards the machine and pulled out its ghostly essence, before crushing it in its palm. The machine collapsed.

“When Vortex Trooper is destroyed, I get to draw one card” Juruo called back. ‘Stardust Shimmer’, just one of the cards he needed.

“Now Avatar, take out his little bird.” Above them, the surface of the Avatar began to change; twisting and contorting until it resembled a giant version of Vortex, and opened its mouth (ATK: 4100). For the ultimate Wicked God, reaching to a creature to take its soul was primitive, The Avatar would simply absorb it from up here. The bird warrior’s essence was dragged as if by an invisible chain out of the body and towards the god, the monster perishing the second it left its body without even a squawk.

“When Vortex is destroyed by battle, I can summon a level four or lower winged beast from my deck. I choose the last of the Dragunity warriors, ‘Dragunity Tribus’.” The masked warrior with angels wings took flight where Vortex had been (DEF: 200), causing Demon to cast Juruo a critical eye. Juruo must be going for something with this he thought, as he snatched out his card. The card shocked him when he saw it. This... this had to be... fate. He looked at the bomb. 23:33. Time was nearly up, only one thing left he could try.

“It’s my turn now. First of all, I switch my Stygian Security into defence mode (DEF: 600). Then I place one card face down and end my turn. With that, me and Juruo are free to activate spells and traps once again.”

“They won’t do you any good. It’s my turn, and I’m activating a trap card from my graveyard. Instead of conducting my draw, I’m going to add Meteor Flare to my hand, which I then place face down. Then Dreadroot, take out his pathetic monster.” The tiny winged fiend was snuffed out by the same spirit snatching, soul crushing technique of the mighty god.

“When Stygian Security is destroyed, another one is summoned from my deck to protect me.”

“Avatar, take out his second and last Security.”

“It might be my last Security” Demon called with a wince, as his second monster met a similar fate, “but I can still use it to summon ‘Ritual Raven’ from my deck instead.” As the tiny black bird appeared in his dragon’s wake (DEF: 300), Demon put down his tool and made his last attempt to stop Armageddon. He reached into the heart of the bomb, feeling blindly for the keys, the power source inside that fuelled its destructive appetite. Trying to find them. 23:37. “Juruo, if you’ve got a plan, now might be good.”

[spoiler=Summary - Round 5]

Juruo - Front Row: Dragunity Tribus. Back Row: -. Hand: 1 LP: 500

Demon - Front Row: Ritual Raven. Back Row: Face Down x2. Hand: - LP: 2200

Fygmorke - FR: WICKED DREADROOT, WICKED AVATAR. BR: Spell Chronicle, Face Down. Hand: - LP: 600

Juruo nodded before he closed his eyes, put his hand on his deck, and let his thoughts flow into it. All of his hopes and prayers and feelings going into one draw. He’d had got himself into the situation he needed to be in, now he just needed the final piece to implement his strategy. That same strategy that he had seen Sabin pull off in the battle royale to save them from Gear, before he passed that card on to him. Now he needed it to come to his hand, else Sabin’s miracle would be for nothing. Everything Sabin and Hikari had done for him would be for nothing. His mother and father; Vardus, Aerial and those he fought with in the Resistance; Erin and Mel; Luca and Tyrana; Barakus; Inpachi Seishin and Eternia; Dominik and the New Resistance; and every duel spirit that had fought beside and defended him, who were now relying on him. Eternia had told him that he had changed the fate of the world for the worst. Now he was going to fix it. As these thoughts and emotions flowed through him into his cards, the top card glowed gold. With a deep breath, Juruo drew and saw in his hand, the miracle had appeared.

‘Got it’.

“First off, I’m activating the spell card Stardust Shimmer. By removing Dragunity Dux and Militum from play, Stardust Dragon returns to the field in all her glory.” Above his head, the silver dragon returned with a vicious scream, as he held the golden card tightly. “And now...”

“Now I activate the trap card ‘Tuner’s Scheme’! When another player summons a Synchro monster, I can use this card to pull it over to my field instead.”

“What?!” Juruo’s head snapped in disbelief to see his partner, staring dead ahead of them with a stern expression, who had activated the trap card, whilst above him Stardust was soaring over to his side of the field. His chance was flying away from him. His mind turned numb with cold terror, his limbs paralyzed. Somehow he managed to force out speech. “Demon! What are you doing? I had him.”

“No Juruo, you’re not going to have him.” Demon said solemnly, as he flew closer towards Juruo so only a wingspan of either gliding dragon separated them. His expression was stern, but calm. Now it was free of fear, and full of unwavering determination. “Your participation in this duel is over. You are not going to stop Armageddon, or defeat Fygmorke.”

“Demon, what are you...” Before Juruo could finish his sentence, his eyes caught the metal bomb in his lap. The transparent ends that had been filled with electric life earlier were now silent and empty. So that had to mean. Demon nodded, and held up his left hand. There he was holding them. There were the three sacred beast cards. Suddenly, he understood.

“Juruo, I can’t stop this bomb. All I can do is pull out these cards and hope to stunt its effect. Hope that this will make up for everything I’ve done.” Demon looked at him, and at Yuma who was starting to stir by him. Juruo was sure he had to be mistaken, but for a moment he thought he saw a sparkle in his eye. “It may have lost most of its power, but it is still a bomb. One that will go off in fifteen minutes, and you don’t want to be here when it does. If I’m correct, without the sacred beasts rage behind it then this dimension will be shaken to its core, butnot destroyed entirely... er, I think... Anyway I have a job for you. You take Yuma back to our world, and take these back with you. When you get back, hide them, so they can’t be used again. I’ll take care of him.”

Juruo looked at the card in his hand. “Think you can pull it off?”

Demon nodded curtly, and threw his three cards to Juruo. Catching them, Juruo threw his card back across, watching Demon catch it and place it into his deck (the card stopped glowing as he did so) which shuffled itself. Hopefully it would answer his wishes. Yuma was starting to wake in his lap. She opened her eyes, and saw her uncle there on his dragon, smiling at her. He looked so calm. Juruo looked back at the sorcerer chasing after them, watching them with a suspicious frown, then up at the ominous glares of the two gods looking down silently at him, before one last look at his dragon that was flying on without him. “Alright, I’ll get her out. Stardust, look after him.”

The dragon cried in answer, before Juruo called out for Barcha to dive, holding Yuma tight so she wouldn’t fall. The armoured dragon sank away with the two signers - both looking back for as long as they could - before they plunged into the dark abyss below and disappeared.

Fygmorke watched them go, trailing out of striking range on his stricken and slowing dragon, in silent thought. He hadn’t been able to hear everything that had been said, but he had seen the exchange of cards. But Demon still had the bomb; that he was sure of. He and the Wicked Gods would finish him off soon, then he could go after the others if at all necessary. For all his knowledge of the world and the dark arts, Fygmorke understood very little of modern technology, more specifically of how the bomb that was obscured by Demon worked. For a few more seconds, he would be blissfully unaware that he was about to fail. For now he was still certain of victory, still certain that his goal had been reached. “You know there is nowhere for them to hide” he mocked. “He might have handed you that card from the Crimson Dragon, but you won’t get to your turn to use it. It’s not going to answer to someone like you. In mere minutes everything will be destroyed and be reduced to nothing.”

“It will or it won’t. Doesn’t really matter, we’ll both be dead soon. I would however prefer a bit of revenge on you before that though, and I think Juruo’s dragon wants some too. As for the kids, I think they’re going to be alright. They’ve got a lifetime to work it out, now that you’ve failed and all.”

The sorcerer was confused by Demon’s words as they processed within his mind. He had failed? No, that wasn’t possible. He couldn’t fail, not now. Armageddon couldn’t be stopped. “You’re lying!” Demon shrugged, dangled the bomb out so the old man could see it, see that it had lost its destructive power. It was then that realisation started to dawn on Fygmorke. “You, how did you? You said it was...!”

“Unstoppable? It is, it’s still going to go off. Only now it’s just going to take down us two, and only us.”

Fygmorke felt something he had never felt before. A feeling of numbness, of darkness. One that he had inflicted on so many for so long. The feeling of fear. “You! Gandora, get us out of here, after the signers.” The dragon roared beneath him, and Fygmorke’s fear increased. It was a defiant roar, as Gandora refused to change course. Screaming in anger, the sorcerer used his electric attack on it again. The dragon howled in pain, but still refused to go after them. This prompted a chuckle from Demon.

“You still don’t get it. Those kids have gone, and your weapons of destruction have gone with them. It’s just you and me now old man, and this little firework which won’t hurt anyone else. It’s over.”

“Grr, not before I make you pay. I know every card you possess. I know that there isn’t a single card you have that can stop my gods. Maybe stop one attack, but not both. Dreadroot, destroy him!” The giant demon reached out a mighty outstretched hand towards Stardust Dragon.

“Maybe I don’t have one, but Yuma does. One she thought I might benefit from having. I activate ‘The High Priestess Staff’, negating your attack, ending the battle phase, and hitting you with a little damage too. But nothing compared to what’s about to hit you.”

Fygmorke didn’t react as The Dreadroot pulled back. He just sat there, his purple eyes wide and staring, his jaw hanging open slightly, as Demon reached to his deck. ‘Vardus. Barakus. I hope that wherever you are, wherever I sent you to, that you are watching me, and that you can forgive what I’ve done like Yuma and Juruo have. Maybe I’ll see you soon.’ Beneath his fingertips, the card started to glow. In his lap, the bomb display read 23:50. He had just enough time. He would be touched by a saviour. He drew.

“Here we go. I summon the tuner monster ‘Majestic Dragon’.” The tiny pink dragon soared through the portal above him, lining up with the tiny Ritual Raven, and the mighty Stardust Dragon. On his mount, Demon heaved himself to his unsteady feet, standing on the back of the black dragon, and drew his sword from its sheath. Above him, the monsters burst into stars, and the darkness exploded into light. Light that touched everything, engulfed everything, blessed everything. He was blessed. Closing his eyes, Demon thought about how his dragon was getting caught in this, he should let it escape now. Solemnly he thanked Gandora, and with bomb in one hand and sword in other, fell into the abyss, so that it could make its exit from this place. As he fell, he roared out to the stars. “Come forth light of purity and hope. I summon the ‘Majestic Star Dragon’!”

There was a flash, and the roar of air as something came flying after him at great speed. Demon stopped falling with a thud, opening his eyes as he landed on the back of the great Majestic Star Dragon. Words could not do this magnificent creature justice, other than its scales were like pure crystals, and shone with their own golden light (ATK: 1900). “Now Majestic Star Dragon negates the effect of one monster on the field, and takes its effect as its own. The monster I’m choosing is the Wicked Avatar.” The sphere did not physically change, but Demon knew he was there (ATK: 0). “Now Majestic Star Dragon, attack!”

Majestic Star Dragon accelerated, soaring away in a great sweeping arc across the space at blinding speed, before coming charging back towards the Avatar. Whether the wicked god felt anything during its final few moments is unknown. If it even felt pain as the majestic dragon plunged straight through its evil heart and burst out the other side, leaving it to sink back to hell with a huge hole through it is a mystery that many would rather avoid. Continuing on its arc as it came back round, Demon... no... Dravir Jackson, stood once more and readied his sword. The black blade transformed before his eyes into a weapon made entirely of light.

Fygmorke followed the path of the great dragon as it turned around, watching paralyzed in place on the back of his dragon as it took aim at him with one last battle cry. His purple eyes widened, as the cry was a summons. For a brief moment, he could see the spectre of another dragon within the first, one made entirely of fire and that was staring back at him. And standing on its back was Dravir, holding his light sword and ready to strike. Well, he would not go down without taking everyone else, who had to his warped mind doomed everyone to continued suffering, down with him and neither would his gods. Fighting his dead muscles, the sorcerer raised his hands to perform one last curse.

Before he could unleash it, Majestic Star Dragon shot through Gandora, both of them vanishing in an instant, just as Dravir plunged the sword straight through his chest. The sorcerers screaming was soul chilling, as he grabbed at the blade sticking through him, watching the blood pour from the wound. No, not like this. Fygmorke placed his free hand on Dravir’s face, and began to electrocute him. He would kill him first. Dravir grimaced as pain exploded through him, but he held the sword in place as the pair started to fall into empty space. Held the bomb tightly under his arm, which now read 23:55.

“They will all still die. The wicked gods will see to that!”

[spoiler=Chapter 66 - Part II]

“Yu...ma?”

Sabin groaned as he slowly woke up, finding he was lying on his back on the stony ground of another platform in the bright white surrounding of the void. He could faintly remember dreaming, he had been back in the regular world with Yuma, in some flowery meadow or some soppy guff that he would never admit to the others he had seen himself in. But he had been there with Yuma. She was smiling, and it had all seemed so cruelly real. Trying to put aside his dismay that this vision would never materialise, Sabin glanced around him. The area was like the one he had first entered, whilst looking up he could see a swirling black storm cloud like area that stretched so far across the sky way above. Presumably he and the others had fallen out of the main area and back into an outer are... wait, the others!?

A groaning noise behind him caused Sabin to turn. Hikari was pushing herself up onto her hands and knees with a great effort, clutching at her scarred and burned arms as she awkwardly got up. Lying on his side a little way to his right as he looked was Raesir, who was clutching his head. Beyond him was a third body, but Sabin knew that one wasn’t going to move.

Gear was flat on his back with his eyes open, wide and lifeless. The life support unit in his chest had stopped sparking, and the red light in the middle was smashed and silent. However Sabin was the only person who already knew this; and not the man’s former partner and ally who was slowly crawling towards his body. Raesir slowly approached on his hands and knees and shook Gear’s body by the shoulder, urging him to wake up. Then shook him with increased intensity with both hands. The man’s head flopped to one side, before Raesir’s senses finally came back and he realised what had happened. Without a word he pushed Gears eyes closed, and knelt there in silence.

“Uh, what happened?”

To Sabin’s left, Erin was the last to stir. She was also clutching her head and grimacing with a mix of pain and confusion, as she looked around to find herself in a completely different area to where she had been last, before... before...? Where had she been before? And why did everything hurt so much? Clutching her ribs as a strange aching pain welcomed her back to the waking world, she pushed her hair out of her eyes and caught sight of Sabin and Hikari who were crouched and sat before her, and looked equally battered as she felt. As she opened her mouth to speak, she felt exhausted, and struggled to get words out. “What... are we doing here? What... happened?”

“What, you don’t remember?” Sabin asked with a raised eyebrow and a slightly derisory scoff. “You didn’t miss much, only you trying to destroy us and J, nothing major.”

“Sabin, don’t be so harsh” Hikari scolded him. “She was being controlled at the time. Perhaps those Infernity monsters stop her remembering what happened during the time she was possessed?”

“I was... possessed? Tried to... destroy you... and Juruo?”

“Erin it’s okay, you’re fine now” Hikari started as the woman shakily crawled towards them, stopping occasionally to clutch at her aching head and body. “It’s not your fault. One of Fygmorke’s cards got in your deck and he took control of you from in there, like he did with the others and everyone else before. We had to duel each other, all of us. The damage was pretty heavy, that’s why it hurts so much now. I don’t know what happened after I was eliminated either, but we’re okay now. You’re okay” desperately she tried to keep reassuring her as she crawled up to her, although Erin was not going to be pacified so easily. She looked at Sabin, whose head and face was covered in dry blood, then beyond Hikari at Raesir, and the still body of Gear. Juruo meanwhile wasn’t anywhere in sight. Shaking slightly, Erin starting to back away again.

“I remember... seeing you in the inner sector... and then...darkness? What... happened? What did... I do? Tell me!”

Before Hikari could try to explain, Sabin nudged her, prompting a small cry. “Sorry but maybe I should, since I got to the end. You might want to listen in too” he called over to Raesir, who had not moved from his position. The tattooed boy grunted impassively in response. “The six of us met up in that dark inner sanctum bit and all agreed to go after Fygmorke together, before the Infernity monsters of his in your decks took control. Don’t worry they’ve gone now” he said as Erin looked at her duel shield in alarm. “There was a battle royale, in which we all took real damage. You were really dishing it out to Juruo after you isolated the pair of you, before Hikari summoned Judgement Dragon and its attack eliminated you.”

Sabin turned from the stunned Erin to Hikari. “You got knocked out by Raesir straight after, and you will no doubt be delighted to know that sparked a little fire in the guy, so enraged to think you’d been killed.” Her blushing caused him much amusement, before finally turning to Raesir who was knelt with his head bowed, unable to look at them. “After J knocked you out, Fygmorke’s control was condensed from three people onto one, and Gear bought the full force of it. He went for us without mercy. There was no saving him after that. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. You did what you had to do” Raesir responded hollowly. Slowly he pushed himself to his feet. “Gear’s at peace now, and we’re all still alive. But where’s Juruo now?”

“Fygmorke wouldn’t reveal himself until one victor stood alone” Sabin shrugged. “Juruo beat me next turn to win the right to face him I guess. I don’t know; I blacked out as well you know.”

“So he’s still in there somewhere, duelling alone” Hikari struggled to her own feet, prompting Sabin to stand as well. “What do we do now?”

Sabin shrugged, and looked at the mark on his arms. The wings of the Crimson Dragon that burned bright into his skin. The mark has aching, but that meant nothing given that every part of him did. Sabin shook his arm about with a scowl as if to provoke it into doing something, but of course changed nothing. “Bah, I dunno how to read this damn thing. Anything could be going on up in there.”

“I guess. Plus we don’t know how long we’ve all been out for, or more importantly how long is left before the bomb goes off” Raesir said, glancing around from their platform. It was floating casually across the space with no connection to anywhere else. “Doesn’t look like we can move, or if any of us are in condition to anyway. Guess we’ll just have to hope he’s doing it. What’s up with you?”

Raesir turned to address Erin, who was not standing with them. She was sat with her back to the group, near to the edge of their floating rock, curling herself up into a tight ball with her chest pulled up tight against her knees. Her cloak that usually made her look so intimidating fanned out behind her, now she looked very small and timid to them.

“I never meant to hurt any of you” she finally said in a shaky voice. “I genuinely believed I was saving people by doing this, that it was the only way to free everyone from the Empire’s control and ease their pain, Utopia I mean. But I guess all along I was just doing looking for an escape for myself. I was so naive; so foolish to believe what Demon promised me. Now my selfish actions have doomed everyone.”

“Erin, it’s not your fault.” Hikari walked up to Erin and extended a hand. “It’s not your fault Fygmorke lied to you and forced you to do all that stuff. If anything you did it for your brother. I promise if we get through this, he’ll be waiting in the castle for you, and he’ll tell you the same. He just wants you back.”

“There is no excuse for the path of destruction I ultimately choose, however shrouded with stupid dreams. I guess I’m the cursed one. I destroy everything I touch. My family, my friends... I put Mel in danger... I hurt everyone I care about. I’m a disaster to everyone.” Swallowing slightly, Hikari went to tell her not to give up, to put her hand on the poor older girls shoulder, but Erin swotted it away with a resigned sigh and head hanging. “Just leave me alone.”

The minutes dragged. The two boys paced endlessly, waiting for any kind of sign of what might be happening up above them. Hikari was sat with her hands clasped together, continually glancing at Erin who had remained motionless in her little ball for the duration. Nobody had spoke at all, until eventually after ten minutes or so, Sabin armed his duel shield with a scowl.

“Enough of this, I’m going up there.”

Just as he was picking the Red Dragon Archfiend card out of his deck, he swayed violently on the spot, Raesir just able to catch him in time. “You’ll accomplish nothing in this condition.”

“I’ll accomplish nothing standing here. I’ll probably die of stress before Armageddon happens at this rate. Come on, Red Dragon Archfiend.” The dragon appeared at the edge of the platform as its card activated, soaring through the open portal before looping round to land with a heavy crash. Sabin wobbled towards it and heaved himself up. He stumbled twice on the climb up the back, prompting more worried calls from Raesir and Hikari, which he ignored. “You all coming or not?” The initial hesitation annoyed him, but eventually Hikari reached for her shield and pulled out Black Rose Dragon.

Those who had been expecting a shrill cry got a sudden bloody roar instead. Shocked, the four looked up to see not Black Rose Dragon, but a great armoured beast sinking from the black clouds way above. The dragon descended quickly towards them, hovering just level with the platform. Sabin’s jaw hung open at the sight. The dragon itself looked in horrendous condition. Juruo was sat in the metal saddle of the armour, looking bloody and beaten. And sitting across his lap, looking the battered rose, was Yuma.

“....... Yuma?”

“Sorry Sab, explanations will have to wait” Juruo puffed over Sabin as he stared at the girl sat before him. “We’ve got to get out of here right now. The bomb’s going off in ten minutes. I’ve got the cards powering it, so hopefully it won’t affect our world, but we still need to escape. Get on a dragon and get going.”

“Juruo, how?”

“Uncle Dravir weakened the bomb” Yuma interrupted Hikari, prompting a bewildered gasp from the other four. “He couldn’t stop it fully, but he has saved us from it and from Fygmorke, but now we have to fulfil his wishes and get out... Now!”

There was a flurry of movement as her words finally hit home. Immediately Hikari bought out Black Rose Dragon, scrambling onto her back as she appeared beside her. Raesir, who hadn’t got a great big dragon of his own, shouted at Sabin to wait before sprinting across the platform towards Gear’s body, and somehow heaving it over his stocky shoulders and starting back towards the Red Dragon. However one remained sat exactly where she was.

“Erin, move!”

“Why? Why should I go back?” she shrugged dismissively. “How can I face people I bought death and despair to? How can anyone believe me able to look after Mel...?” Erin paused as the last words just tumbled out of her. “My hands are too bloodied to hold Mel with now...”

“He’ll forgive you. We all forgive you. Just please move.” There was a long pause as Juruo’s words hung over Erin’s head.

Finally she stood up, and summoned Brionac as her favoured mount. Hikari took flight on Black Rose, and still on the ground Raesir was stood trying to push Gear’s body up, and protesting furiously with Sabin to help him, whereas the signer continually told him he was lucky to be getting a lift himself. A growl from Red Dragon Archfiend quelled the bickering. Watching Erin clamber up onto the snowy serpent, Yuma turned and whispered to Juruo. “Er, how are we actually getting out? The archway in our world was destroyed, Ancient Fairy Dragon is weak, and you don’t have Stardust anymore.”

“I was kind of hoping Sabin and Hikari’s dragons would have something” was the ill easy response. “That or the Crimson Dragon... might... oh god no...”

Juruo stopped mid sentence as he looked upwards, and his body tensed. Yuma turned to follow his gaze, noticing as she turned that Black Rose Dragon and Hikari were frozen in midair with fear looking at the same thing, before looking up to see a sight that stopped her heart. Emerging from the black vortex above was the Eraser, the serpent devil that had defeated her, along with two other giant demons. The Avatar and the Dreadroot as they were known to Juruo descended slowly from the clouds, hanging in the air as they observed the group below them. Sabin Raesir and Erin had seen the gods as well now, new yet still frightening monsters to them, and froze.

For a minute, nobody moved.

‘Fly up.’

The voice was heard by everyone, although only one person thought they recognized it. That person was Juruo, who was also the most surprised to hear it, for he was sure that the soft womanly voice that was speaking to them all would never be heard by him again. “You can’t be... how...?”

‘Don’t ask questions. I can get you out. Just go now.’

Sabin responded without further hesitation. Red Dragon Archfiend roared and took flight with a mighty wing-beat, grabbing the terrified Raesir and Gear’s body in its hind claw as it went and rose rapidly at an angle up and away from the wicked gods. Jerked into life, Barcha went after him, followed by Hikari and Erin’s dragons. Above them the gods moved as well, and the chase began. Flying upwards the dragons flew around the black void, ignoring that the ball like cloud clearly wasn’t as big on the outside as it was inside, for now wasn’t the time for mystery solving. The dragons were pushing with everything they could give, flying as fast they could, dodging between the connecting pathways and random debris. But the gods that had been slow to start were beginning to gain, reaching up out for their prey. Still the dragons climbed, searching desperately for some source of escape although none seemed to offer itself.

“Juruo, they’re gaining! What do we do?”

“I don’t know” was the desperate reply. Juruo didn’t know what to do. The bomb had maybe three minutes to go, and still no exit from the messenger was apparent. He looked at his mark in panic, at the glowing dragon’s head. “Come on, don’t abandon us now.”

As if on cue, the mark responded with a more intense burning, felt by all four of the signers. Way above them, the flaming red dragon appeared, screaming at the sky, before it vanished again. In its wake it left an open portal.

“Oh come on. You’re leaving that a bit tight on the tail” Sabin shouted after it. His dragon was still at the front, but looking backwards he could still feel the hairs on the back of his neck prickle watching those huge devils getting closer and closer. Hikari was just behind him, while further behind and getting closer and closer within the demons reach were the other two. Barcha was visibly starting to flag, having been flying and beaten for so long, and Juruo knew it. He begged it to keep going, for one last push, but it was struggling to keep going. Yuma grabbed him around the waist and starting mouthing a swift prayer.

Something cold and sharp hit Juruo on the head, before landing in Yuma’s hands. Confused, they looked down at what the thing that hit was, and found a small necklace, adorned with a blue tear dropped shaped gem. Swallowing, Juruo looked up to see soaring very close above them was Erin and Brionac. She was staring down at them; unsmiling, unnervingly calm. The sparkle in her blue eyes had faded.

“I’m sorry I didn’t believe you, and for everything else I did.”

“Erin... What are... Don’t you dare!!!”

“Look after Mel for me.”

“No!”

Juruo’s plea was ignored as Brionac slowed, leaving Erin trailing further and further behind them. She had armed her duel shield, watching the others as they flew away towards the exit she knew they wouldn’t otherwise reach, before two more icy dragons appeared either side of her as her mount turned. Each dragon lined up a demon and preparing to fire as the wicked gods responded in kind. Erin might have been unable to forgive herself, but she was never a bad person. Hopefully she would be remembered as such by the people she’d tried so hard to protect from the hardships that attacked them, even if she always did more harm the harder she tried. She would not let her life end in similar disaster.

“Brionac, Gungnir, Trishula. Stop them cold.”

“Oh my god, what happened here?”

Melanc stared wide eyed around the massive crater and blown out open roof in the middle of the mountain that he had just entered. Luca trundled after him with a grim look, glaring indifferently around the destroyed arena that the corridor out of the bedroom had led them to. He had managed to carry Tyrana’s body there, dried her out using the towels they had found scattered around, and left her on the bed for now. There was no doubt that the others had passed this way. Whatever had been here before had long gone, now was just a very deep and very empty crater. The sky above them was dark and cloudy, and through the clouds shone the nineteen balls of flame.

“Any idea what the time is?”

Before Melanc could reply, the sky burst into light above them. A swirling ring of flame had appeared in the darkness, through which came a screeching roar. Mel and Luca watched in awe as the great Crimson Dragon passed through the portal, snaking off into the sky above and out of sight. A minute passed, and the portal continued to swirl in its wake. Another minute, and more roars sounded across the skies.

Mel and Luca watched as first Red Dragon Archfiend crashed through the swirling ring, hurtling towards the ground below at speed. Seconds later came out Black Rose Dragon, floating down towards them as the first dragon came in to land in the crater. With a quick glance at each other, Mel and Luca jumped and went skidding down the slope towards it, as the second dragon came into land. Above them the final dragon, a battered and exhausted Dragunity Knight, struggled through and plummeted dangerously to earth. As it came to land awkwardly on its side before the duo, Yuma and Juruo flew off its back and crashed into them in a heap. Up above them, the portal in the sky closed on itself.

“Guys, what happened? Are you alright?” Mel asked frantically, trying to push himself from underneath Juruo. It was then he noticed that his entire right arm was covered in claw marks and dried blood, along with various scars and burns across the rest of his body and face. Getting up with a moan, Juruo opened his mouth to speak just as Sabin and Hikari were dismounting from their own dragons.

“I think we’re about to find out” he groaned, as he stared up at the open sky.

Everyone looked up and couldn’t help but swallow. The twentieth and final ball of flame had burst into life in the remaining gap, rapidly growing in size to match the others. The countdown was complete. Time was up. What happened now all depended on what was going on in the void, where somewhere deep within the dark heart of it, in the arms of a man who was still clinging dearly on to life with every remaining ounce of strength he had left, the bomb reached 00:00.

In the sky above them, strands of flames burst forth across the ring, each fireball connecting to the one opposite and all the lines meeting in the middle, whilst far below the earth began to shake with the force of an earthquake. Unable to stand, Mel feel over, Yuma and Luca grabbing and holding him. Hikari and Sabin held onto their own signer dragons for support as they lost their own balance, shouting over the roar of the earth, before being drowned out by an ear splitting, heart pulling screeching noise way up above coming from the final countdown, as the fires turned from red to white. Juruo managed to crawl over to the head of the stricken Barcha, who was lying on his side and panting heavily, and managed to catch his eye as he held its neck. “Thank you Barcha. You were amazing.” The dragon nodded with a low growl, before white light blinded them, and engulfed everything...

Across the world, people looked out of the windows into the midnight sky as it vanished in a flash of white and screamed in silence. Somewhere across another reality, in the duel spirit world, the same reaction was met by endless creatures as their own matching countdown hit zero.

‘You can’t help but interfere in mankind’s fate, can you Eternia?’

The bodiless voice was not singular, more a collection of several voices as one that addressed the ageless female spirit, an omnipresent echo in the domain in which she was now confined in. Sat under an endless night sky on a rock in the middle of a black whirlpool, one that falling into didn’t bear thinking about, Eternia had been here ever since her duel against Juruo. Her actions in that duel had never been what got her here. It was her perceived inference with the course of fate, of meddling with an ordained future as was her solemn duty not to, which had done that. Eternia shrugged.

“I learned long ago that my world, my home, and the human world are linked inseparably forever. That one’s survival depends on the other, and ones champions are the others saviours. My champions have, eventually, got the job done. They have corrected fates path, and saved my home. They deserved to survive. Do what you want with me, you can’t hurt me anymore.” A small tear rolled down her cheek.

The echo sighed. ‘You have carried a great burden for a great age Eternia. One that was never easy to do so. It is with great sadness, but great kindness, that you now have to be relieved of your burdens.’

Eternia shivered and closed her eyes as the rock crumbled away, and she fell into the whirlpool.

When she next opened them again, she found herself in a flowery meadow, on the edge on an ancient looking forest. A stream could be heard in the distance, as could bird song and other signs of life. Eternia stood and looked around her in disbelief, and smiled. After millennia away, nothing had changed.

She was home.

Juruo blinked wearily. Someone was shaking his shoulder, and telling him to wake up. ‘Give me a break’ he thought. ‘I’ve done enough. Can’t I have some peace now?’ He mumbled as much although a lot less understandably, so it was little wonder that whoever it was that was shaking him didn’t get the message. Grunting irritably Juruo forced himself awake and sat up; taking in view of the semi dark crater he was sat in. It was Mel who had been shaking his shoulders and he looked very pale, whilst on his left Hikari was sat and also looking most worried. He could hear the voices of others about too, but looking around, he couldn’t help but notice that the dragons had gone. Sitting up and looking around made him realise how much his body ached and creaked with every movement. Without reason he looked at his bloodied arm and blinked in shock. His signer mark, the head of the dragon, had disappeared; leaving only the dried slash scars that it had been shining through. Gaping slightly he looked at Hikari. Her mark was gone too. She smiled at him, and nodded upwards, inclining him to finally look up at the sky exposed by the fallen away roof. The sky was a violety-blue colour with hints of orange breaking from the east, and was completely clear. No clouds. No fire. No countdown.

“It’s almost dawn” Hikari said solemnly. “I can’t explain what happened or why, but the rest of us have woken up over the last few minutes, and we’re all still here. Everything is still here. We did it. It’s over. We’re all safe now thanks to you.”

Juruo blushed as she smiled at him. “I really had nothing to do with it you know. It was Dem... Dravir that stopped the bomb and beat Fygmorke. I just helped a little bit.” Hikari blinked, and nodded, diverting her gaze from him as she continued to smile away. Juruo couldn’t help but feel a little bit warm and embarrassed suddenly.

“Juruo...” Said feelings were drained as soon as he looked at Mel, who was sat beside him and shaking slightly. His eyes were welling up a little bit. “Please tell me the truth. What happened to Erin?”

Juruo gulped as he looked at Hikari. He had had no time to think about how he was going to do this; everything had happened so quickly before everyone whited out. It was heartbreaking to have to deliver one more piece of devastating news born from this chaos even though it was over, and everyone else’s survival didn’t make it any easier. Hikari nodded reassuringly and pointed at his hand. He blinked as he opened it, revealing he was holding Erin’s necklace. He passed it to Mel, who gulped at the sight. “As we tried to escape from the void, three monsters belonging to Fygmorke - the wicked gods - came chasing after us. Erin stayed behind... to fight them and make sure we all escaped safely. I’m really sorry Mel.”

Mel trembled as he held the necklace of his sole remaining family and turned his back on Juruo. “I’m not gonna

cry. I’m not... gonna cry... Erin told me I shouldn’t cry...” There was a pause, before Mel swung round and buried himself into Juruo’s chest, and promptly burst into floods of tears. Juruo numbly hugged him back, unable to say anything, until something wrapped around his back with a small gasp. Hikari was holding both boys in her arms, wincing slightly against her scars, but held them both firmly.

“I’ll be okay” Mel eventually swallowed back some of the tears and pulled back a bit, rubbing his bloodshot eyes. “All my memories of Erin, I know she was a good person who protected me and her friends, and I’ll always remember that side of her. You guys will too right?” Hikari and Juruo nodded that of course they would, which cheered him up a little more. “Erin wouldn’t want people to spend their life trapped in despair all the time, and now that she’s secured a future for us, we should live life as fully as we can. That’s why... I think you two should be together now.”

The sudden remark prompted much unintelligible spluttering and red faces from Juruo and Hikari, one unable to look at the other, which cheered Mel up further. “Aw come on, you two have liked each other ever since I met you. You’re both just being stupid and not admitting it. You’d be perfect together.”

Juruo turned to Hikari who was getting steadily redder. “Well... er... I guess I have been too caught up in this to say how you... um... Hikari, you’ve been endlessly kind and patient and understanding with me, and it’s taken me way too long to realise that I’ve been a jerk and not appreciated you enough...” It was awkward rambling at best, but it was so hard to say everything. Tentatively he placed his hand by hers. She looked at it for a little while, hesitating. “There was a moment in the void where I thought I’d lost you. It made me realise how much you mean to me... something I should have realised and told you about long ago... so... if you’d still be willing to have me...” The pause continued, each dragging second sucked the hope out of him. Until finally, she smiled shyly at him and placed her hand on top of his, prompting him to smile back.

“Yeah, I’d like that...”

“Yeah! Awesome!” Mel jumped up and punched the air. “That’s more of what this world needs you know? People like you guys, and Sabin and Yuma being together. Hey Sabin, I just... oh... never mind...”

Mel broke off and looked away from the other two. Whilst all this had been going on, just before Juruo had been woken up, Sabin had managed to drag himself out of his own unconsciousness. When he woke up, he found himself looking straight at the girl of his dreams, the one he’d thought he’d lost, who was waking up and looking across to the same sight. Ignoring everyone else, ignoring the clear dawn break sky above, ignoring that their marks had also disappeared, they had met each other and collapsed in a heap, and had been lying on top of one another kissing and rambling about feelings right up until this point. (“I thought I’d lost you Yuma...”)(“I knew you’d keep fighting for me...”)(“Thinking about you was all that kept me going, I don’t want you to ever go away again...”)(“How can I, I love you so much...”)

“So after all of this, some might come out stronger, and together.” Diverting their awkward gaze from the love struck couple, the trio turned to the speaker. Raesir was stood beside them with his arms folded, and looked extremely glum. “That’s good. I would thank him for getting me out, but he’d probably just hit me again if I interrupt him. Hopefully someday I’ll find something that can fill the hole left in my life and give it meaning.”

“I’m sure something will turn up for you Raesir” Hikari replied.

Raesir shrugged, before walking away from them and up the slope. A little way up, Gear’s body had been left while he was saying his goodbyes, and now he picked him up and slung him across his shoulders. “Well, I’ll be going now, to find somewhere to bury my friend.”

“Wait, I’ll come with you.” Stunned, Raesir turned to find Luca clambering after him. His voice was shaky and he looked quite lost, but there was a small force of a mission building in his eyes. “I’ve got to find a resting place for my friend as well. Might as well help you out and give you a lift.” Raesir paused for a moment, before muttering that Luca could ‘do whatever he wanted’. Luca turned to the others. “Many other good people died because of this, fighting to keep others safe. I need to do something for them, else I’ll go insane. I’d like to build a memorial, to honour those who fought against Armageddon and died protecting others. If that’s alright.”

Without any hesitation Juruo and the others got up and climbed after Luca. Juruo got there first, and caught the younger boy in a hug. “Course that’s alright, that’s a great idea. Just let us know when you finish it, and we’ll all visit it together okay?” Luca hugged him back weakly, gulping slightly. “Are you sure you’re going to be alright?”

“No” was the weak response as Luca withdrew, before Hikari hugged him as well. “But I won’t know until I try. It’s going to take a long time for me to get over this. But I need something to honour her, before I can move on. Just give me some names you want on it, and I’ll let you know when it’s ready.”

As the group exchanged names of those they wanted immortalised, Mel went and alerted Yuma and Sabin (most cautiously) as to what was going on. Once they too had embraced Luca, wished Raesir a better future, and made their own requests for the memorial, the odd new allies left to bury the dead.

An hour after Luca and Raesir had left - spent lying around thinking about what had happened or about what might be to come - the remaining group of five decided that it was time for them to go too. As they rolled their two duel runners out of the castle entrance, the morning sun had now fully risen over the mountain horizon and into a bright sky. Looking upwards, the group could see a pair of dragons soaring across the sun.

“The walls between our world and the duel spirit world are still weak and frayed” Yuma explained. “It could take years before the scars of what took place in this world are healed, and even longer for those who lost so much because of it.”

“Hey, at least we’ve got years for them to heal over” Sabin replied, leaning back and kissing her on the cheek. “Hey Juruo, do you think duels will still do real damage now that the countdown is gone?”

Juruo looked at him with a mischievous grin. “You want your rematch don’t you?” Sabin smirked and revved his engine in response. Juruo could feel Hikari’s grip tightening around his hips, and Mel squirming in excitement behind him. “Guess there’s only one way to find out...”

Slamming his foot on the throttle, Juruo sped off down the mountain path, with Sabin setting off in hot pursuit. The two runners hurtled down the mountain with the riders and passengers laughing and crying with delight. In the breaking of a new day, all the fear and the sadness had been replaced with fresh excitement and hope. When Juruo’s leading runner finally hit the grassy plain at the foot of the mountain, he spun it round and skidded to a stop, drawing five cards in the process. Now facing him was Sabin, having come to a halt and already with his cards in hand.

"Duel!"

Comments on this and everything and anything appreciated as always.

Oh yes, end credits music: I've picked a song most of you have probably never head of. See below spoiler.

[spoiler=End Music]

Now the temptation to pick Europe was very high here. But I've gone for this song because, unless you've got the same choice of films as me, you'll have never heard it. It's from a film called 'Still Crazy' about the reformation tour of an dysfunctional old band, featuring Bill Nighly, Jimmy Nail, Timothy Spall, Billy Connelly. Good film, recommend it. Its a soft song, but something about it makes me think its an appropriate outro. Enjoy.

So yeah. That's it, it's all over. Well, I say that, see the below spoiler. I want to thank everyone who has given me advice, critism, encouragement and just generally kind words and who has enjoyed reading this. Writing it has been a blast. Have really got the bug for it now, so good news is below in the spoiler.

[spoiler=End Stuff]

Well, I say that it's all over. It might not be quite.

I'm (finally) getting home broadband in three weeks. Took long enough. What I'm intending to do with those three weeks is a write a couple of '5 years later' chapters. And I don't mean like the s*** one that was at the end of Harry Potter, I mean proper ones where stuff actually happens, and closing some threads that are still open. I have four chapters in mind; the first is cast iron and was mentioned in the story anyway, and the others are aimed to finish some business for Juruo, Hikari and Sabin, and will involve duelling. But I am open to suggestions. One in particular, should Sabin's last duel be ground or turbo duel? I'll let you decide that one.

Moving on, more good news. Another fic is in the pipeline. It's very vague planning stage at the minute with just the outlines of a plot together but a lot of characters have been pencilled in (I'm going out and saying this now, the baddies are exciting me so much). It's going to be very fresh, using cards from the 5D's era and mainly ZEXAL as much as possible, although two older GX archtypes are pencilled in too. And of course, Numbers will be involved. I've even got a theme music in mind, with a reference to Numbers in the lyrics :)

So look out for all these things soon to not so soon. The next fanfic won't be til early next year, as I need more numbers to be announced. And I need a break.

Starting to read now. Before that, since whatever I write after reading the chapter will no doubt be dominated by my impressions of the chapter itself rather than the overall story, allow me to offer you my sincerest congratulations. You're already past the spectrum of average, of mundane. You've completed a story that is thrice the length of ff.net's highest threshold. It had its ups-and-downs, its weak moments. It also had its many strong points. It was a powerful, enticing read, in a world that felt alive, with characters I could relate to. It evolved, becoming better, stronger, along the way. It wasn't flawless - nothing is. But it was excellent.

- reads -

EDIT: Also, when you give the number of cards, do you count cards being used twice (or more)? Or every copy of an individual card is counted as a single card?

Starting to read now. Before that, since whatever I write after reading the chapter will no doubt be dominated by my impressions of the chapter itself rather than the overall story, allow me to offer you my sincerest congratulations. You're already past the spectrum of average, of mundane. You've completed a story that is thrice the length of ff.net's highest threshold. It had its ups-and-downs, its weak moments. It also had its many strong points. It was a powerful, enticing read, in a world that felt alive, with characters I could relate to. It evolved, becoming better, stronger, along the way. It wasn't flawless - nothing is. But it was excellent.

- reads -

Thank you for the hearty congratulations. When I started this back in January (god it's a lifetime ago) I always knew I'd finish it because hey, always finish what you start (ahem... 4kids. Dub the rest of 5D's NOW!!!). But I never... ever ever ever ever... thought it would get this far.

-waits with baited breath-

-is really paranoid it's not going to end well....-

--is getting REALLLLLLLLLLLY stressed...............-

PS: 819 different cards. Had pics of them all saved in folders for each duelist, just put them all in one folder and deleted duplicates.

Yeah, you needn't have worried. This exceeded my expectations. It was everything I wanted to see, and more. Some things I never expected to read, and when I read them I felt extremely pleased. In fact, almost none of it went as I had thought it would. It went better.

[spoiler=Spoilerz]Dravir taking the lead? Ingenious. The way they made it out, chased by the gods? Brilliant. The ending of the duel, with Dravir stabbing Fygmorke while Savior Star plows through the Avatar? EPIC. Eternia saves the day? DO WANT. Erin's sacrifice? OH GOD YES (I'm aware that this might sound a little contradictory to other stuff I've said but... it was really the best ending you could give her at this point. I loved it). Raesir survives? Always wanted a bad guy to live through it. Just so the other side's there, too.

Now, the things I didn't quite like were in the very ending... like, Juruo and Hikari getting together, especially with Mel's encouragement, seemed very premature at this point. And Juruo and Sabin dueling now? Yeah, way too early to accept that as natural. But this pretty much sums up my complaints, and I think you handled everyone post-blast very well. Mel, Raesir, Luca, Sabin and Yuma had very nice characterizations here.

I only recently found out about the YCM Awards (long after they were over - yeah, I don't pay much attention to things). While I do not exactly consider them a valid measurement (more of a popularity contest if you ask me, but eh), if this story had been completed at that time, it would definitely deserve to get first place. The ending was so damn good, that I feel completely satisfied with it. I wouldn't change anything about it (yeah, except maybe the two aforementioned things), because it all ended up being so well-tied together that it was amazing.

Take a well-deserved rest, my friend. You've done it. You've brought an awesome conclusion to an amazing story, which is much more than 99% of the writers in this forum, including yours truly, can claim credit for. Needless to say, I hunger for these extra chapters you mentioned - though I'm satisfied with the finale, more is always good, especially if it's going to add something to the plot - though I can't exactly think of much that absolutely needs to be resolved at this point, the final chapter covered almost all the bases I had in mind. And of course, looking forward to your next story. By the time you start that, I will hopefully have finished Dead Zone, too.

HALL-EL-UJAH!!!

Yeah, you needn't have worried. This exceeded my expectations. It was everything I wanted to see, and more. Some things I never expected to read, and when I read them I felt extremely pleased. In fact, almost none of it went as I had thought it would. It went better.

*Is fist waving like a loon*

[spoiler=Spoilerz]Dravir taking the lead? Ingenious. The way they made it out, chased by the gods? Brilliant. The ending of the duel, with Dravir stabbing Fygmorke while Savior Star plows through the Avatar? EPIC. Eternia saves the day? DO WANT. Erin's sacrifice? OH GOD YES (I'm aware that this might sound a little contradictory to other stuff I've said but... it was really the best ending you could give her at this point. I loved it). Raesir survives? Always wanted a bad guy to live through it. Just so the other side's there, too.

Now, the things I didn't quite like were in the very ending... like, Juruo and Hikari getting together, especially with Mel's encouragement, seemed very premature at this point. And Juruo and Sabin dueling now? Yeah, way too early to accept that as natural. But this pretty much sums up my complaints, and I think you handled everyone post-blast very well. Mel, Raesir, Luca, Sabin and Yuma had very nice characterizations here.

I only recently found out about the YCM Awards (long after they were over - yeah, I don't pay much attention to things). While I do not exactly consider them a valid measurement (more of a popularity contest if you ask me, but eh), if this story had been completed at that time, it would definitely deserve to get first place. The ending was so damn good, that I feel completely satisfied with it. I wouldn't change anything about it (yeah, except maybe the two aforementioned things), because it all ended up being so well-tied together that it was amazing.

[spoiler=Response to spoilers]

Good grief you sounded happy :). I just had the sweet little image in my mind of how people would read 'I activate Tuner's Scheme to pinch Stardust and stuff up your Majestic' and go mental and be all 'OMG Demon what the hell have you done?'. I hope I got someone like that, mwahahaha.

As you said, had to have at least one of the baddies live, and Raesir seemed the best option. As for Erin, that was the thing that I was mailing you about. I had it down to happen for ages but I love Erin and at the end I really didn't want to do it. I hated myself for doing it because I'd given her so much grief. But she died a hero, which makes it easier.

The dueling at the very end was just cliche, but I got really stuck there. Was all 'I just need something to finish on, something more than just ride off into the sunrise'. It seemed the obligatory thing. Oh well nothings perfect. But come on JuruoxHikari has been slowly coming since Chapter 1. Yes Mel spurring it on having just been told of Erin's death was awkward but again I got stuck. But they'd be good together. Not quite sure how they'd have smex given Hikari's condition but...

Oh yeah I know, it's worse than Eurovision! Dead Zone should've got more votes, but you can blame the people who regularly say how fantastic your fic is and didn't vote for that (I'm not one of them, I voted).

Take a well-deserved rest, my friend. You've done it. You've brought an awesome conclusion to an amazing story, which is much more than 99% of the writers in this forum, including yours truly, can claim credit for. Needless to say, I hunger for these extra chapters you mentioned - though I'm satisfied with the finale, more is always good, especially if it's going to add something to the plot - though I can't exactly think of much that absolutely needs to be resolved at this point, the final chapter covered almost all the bases I had in mind. And of course, looking forward to your next story. By the time you start that, I will hopefully have finished Dead Zone, too.

Thanks, I plan to. Work is going to be busier from now on and will be down right frantic around Christmas. But eh, I'll make time and slowly plan things for next year. *Note to Konami, please release more numbers tomorrow. Like 20 of them...*

As for final chapters, there are some things I want to do, to finish, to improve on. Including a grudge match I had thought someone might request, and a very weird duel indeed...

Plus I need more practise at writing 'proper' duels ()with FD defence monsters and no cheating with effects) and turbo duels.

[spoiler=Response to responses]Good grief you sounded happy :). I just had the sweet little image in my mind of how people would read 'I activate Tuner's Scheme to pinch Stardust and stuff up your Majestic' and go mental and be all 'OMG Demon what the hell have you done?'. I hope I got someone like that, mwahahaha.

Oh yeah, I totally flipped at that. I was like... UH, DEMON, KIND OF AN AWKWARD MOMENT TO TURN BAD AGAIN ON US ISN'T IT?!?! But you played it out excellently.

As you said, had to have at least one of the baddies live, and Raesir seemed the best option. As for Erin, that was the thing that I was mailing you about. I had it down to happen for ages but I love Erin and at the end I really didn't want to do it. I hated myself for doing it because I'd given her so much grief. But she died a hero, which makes it easier.

Makes sense, in retrospect. But I'm telling you, for an ending, you probably couldn't have picked a better one. I'm the kind of person that fully believes that some things are beyond redemption in this life. Though I loved Erin, I really did, she was by far my favorite character, she deserved her redemption, and the only way to claim it properly... yeah. Her sacrifice was probably the single most emotionally powerful scene in the whole story, for me.

The dueling at the very end was just cliche, but I got really stuck there. Was all 'I just need something to finish on, something more than just ride off into the sunrise'. It seemed the obligatory thing. Oh well nothings perfect. But come on JuruoxHikari has been slowly coming since Chapter 1. Yes Mel spurring it on having just been told of Erin's death was awkward but again I got stuck. But they'd be good together. Not quite sure how they'd have smex given Hikari's condition but...

It's simple, goddamnit, and everyone seems to be missing that. Give it time. I don't get why everyone's so spooked with a small "And so, 2 hours ~ 2 weeks afterwards"... I know you wanted to leave that device for the extras, but come on, one little timeskip wouldn't hurt, and it would make Juruo and Hikari getting together, as well as closing the curtain with the start of a duel, much more natural. As it was, it felt too scripted, which took away from the whole scene.

Oh yeah I know, it's worse than Eurovision! Dead Zone should've got more votes, but you can blame the people who regularly say how fantastic your fic is and didn't vote for that (I'm not one of them, I voted).

Hmm, I really don't blame anyone. It's hard to tell if Dead Zone is better than Armageddon. Dead Zone is more solidly written, I think, and a bit grander in scale and theme. But Armageddon is more direct, more involving. I believe that tends to appeal to a broader audience. At least, that's my view when I try to look at things from an objective standpoint, and stop being overly critical to either direction. Anyway, I don't approve of putting stories on a weighing scale against each other, especially at this level. That's why that aspect of the contest made little sense to me.

There are many things I could say about Armageddon at this point. That it takes its rightful place as one of YCM's finest pieces of completed fictional works is one of them. That the sheer brilliance of some of the schemes and plans presented is overwhelming is another. The fact that it brought me close to tears more than once. The incredibly high amount of effort that went into posting multiple chapters a week on a rather regular schedule, and at a high rate, is worth admiring.

However, I think there are two sentences that sum it up more than anything else.

I decided to stay up and read through what I had missed on Armageddon, the last eight chapters or so, in a single sitting. It is currently 3:28 in the morning where I live.

Bravo, friend. Bravo.

I decided to stay up and read through what I had missed on Armageddon, the last eight chapters or so, in a single sitting. It is currently 3:28 in the morning where I live.

Bravo, friend. Bravo.

I guess that is dedication right there.

Great conclusion to an even more awesome story. I was expecting the Sabin vs. Juruo ending to be a rip-off of the Jack and Yusei Duel is 5D's, but I'm sincerely glad that you didn't do that. I noticed you broke the fourth wall, using "you" in sentences a lot, and that's a no-no. But beyond that, there aren't any complaints here. Great way of wrapping up this wonderful story (think I said that already, lol) and should definitely be stickied as one to remember. Or maybe make a thread for the best "completed" fan-fics on this site (I am, of course, giving proper credit to Trio of DEF as well, ;P). Kyubey would be all up for that (I hope).

EDIT: I think this has given me even more reason to work on my next fan-fiction now, and I made a promise to myself that it was going to be the most absolutely perfect fan-fiction on here. We'll see how that plays out. :)

I like this ending music even better. Lol. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Py3VvDR4Q

DAMN, IT'S O-

*reads omake chapters coming*

*fist-pumps*

Matt.

I don't make this comparison often, if at all. I'd like to think that this comparison would be the highest form of a compliment that I'm capable of giving.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Armageddon = Smex

Firstly, congratulations on finishing your story. I remember how awesome I felt when I finished DEF and seeing people express how they enjoyed the story.

Feels fanfreakingtastic, right?

But at the same time, you might be feeling a tad empty because a big part of your life (not THAT big, but you know >>) is over, right?

Either way, be proud of yourself. You've written an awesome fanfic that I agree does need to be immortalized on this site somehow.

The final chapter, even though Juruo didn't do the finisher, I could still live with Demon doing him in since it fitted, he did it epically, there was a pretty happy ending, and that Juruo did the sensible thing by hooking up with Hikari.

I am looking forward to the last bonus chapters as well as your new fic, whenever it comes out.

Seriously, shoot me a PM.

Archived