Yu-Gi-Oh! Armageddon (PG13) - Finished

Well I've got the spoilers worked out, so hopefully should get the finale up tomorrow.

How? =[

Also, though I agree that Raesir got put through some real crap. It also seemed that he earned his redemption without doing much in the way of goodness. I've got to say his fall back to evil did not quite help in that aspect, but if his actions and / or lack thereof somehow help the good guys overcome this, it will be a better ending for him.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How? =[

Also, though I agree that Raesir got put through some real crap. It also seemed that he earned his redemption without doing much in the way of goodness. I've got to say his fall back to evil did not quite help in that aspect, but if his actions and / or lack thereof somehow help the good guys overcome this, it will be a better ending for him.

I posted on your profile. You had to post without a title in the spoiler, which was very stupid. But ignore that, because they've been fixed.

Now you've nicked the top of the page post, the 500th post, that I was going to reserve for the last update dang it. :angry:

Reserves this post for last update. Will spam the hell out of the status bar/change thread title when its up.

Right, this is it. The last chapter. EVER. I promise I'm not doing anymore. No sequal, no prequel. This is the end, for good.

One thing to bear in mind before we get into this duel. Suzero's character is designed to hint that she does actually possess all 100 Numbers. However, seeing as YGO's major villians always abide by an unspoken code of honour and very rarely break the rules, she is still limited by the same Extra Deck cap that the rest of us are. Given that Uruquizas is confirmed as one of the cards in there, along with potentially Ancient Deity and Colossal Fighter as well, she might have up to only twleve of her Numbers on hand to use. Just want to get that in before anyone thinks I could have done this different.

[spoiler=Sabin - Purpose Part 3]

Millions of people across the Empire watched the scenes unfurl on the television sets between their fingers, transfixed by terror of what was happening, unable to drag themselves away or switch off and do something else when they knew this was happening in the capital, and wondering what might happen because of it. The people inside the stadium were not as inclined to stick around and watch. The vast majority of sixty thousand people were stampeding to the exits in a frenzy. The guards who had been trying to get onto the track were now forced to change their attention to the safety of the crowd and stop people getting crushed in the scrum of bodies. Lying in the garage of the track, a team of medics had managed to get to Raesir - slowly bleeding and choking to death - via the tunnel under the track to access the duel fields, and were frantically working to save him. With major damage to both his jugular artery and windpipe, the manipulated duelist was slipping in and out of conscious, but even in this state he knew better than anyone what was happening on the track. As the medics worked desperately to stabilise him, a thought floated through his dulled mind. ‘I wonder who’ll die first...’

Six people who had not abandoned their posts watched on powerless to help. Dominik had procured another phone off an ‘understanding’ citizen and was trying to stop the match by any means. His security guards still couldn’t get their runners onto the track, and the technical team still couldn’t bring down the duel simulators. Some hysterical woman was shrieking at him to have the duelist shot by archers. “I can’t order that! They’re moving too fast. If they miss her they could hit the crowd!” was his irritated response. Mel was sat next to him, making calls on his own phone by Dominik’s instruction to call head office and try to get something down here that could break down the track wall. Yuma was holding Melody in her lap, squeezing her hand and trying as hard as she could to keep calm for her. The little girl found herself in a world she’d never seen before where everyone was shouting and crying, which confused and upset her, while daddy was still on the track and fighting this scary lady. Under the stand in the medical bay Hikari continued to sit and watch with the unconscious Juruo, trying to keep their spirits up for Sabin.

Swallowing at the sight of this inhuman being chasing him, Sabin glanced at the two monsters that had appeared either side of her. The one on the inside, her left, was a slender serpentine dragon with a deep purplish blue hide, snaking after him on its fin-like wings cutting through the air like it was swimming. Flying around its body like comets were two small spheres of blue light. On one of its horns it bore a number like those covering the duelist Suzero’s body, ‘17’.

On her right, closest to the crowd, was a strange creature. Flying on purple ‘wings’ for lack of a better word, a bulky creature made up of odd triangular shapes covering its body, perhaps as armour or maybe a strange natural hide. At the end of its similarly shaped neck was the stony face of a fallen angel. On the things underbelly, the number ‘16’ could just be seen, and similar to its friend orbs of light circulated its massive body, three golden streams of energy. Sabin had never seen either of these creatures before, never even heard of them before, but as he tried to re-gather his wits one thing struck him as extremely odd. Both monsters had been summoned in defence mode, and neither had an impressive amount of it either (DEF: 0 and 1600 respectively). Between the two creatures chasing after him was the menacing girl calling herself Suzero, who was still cackling madly as she continued.

“Behold the Numbers. These unstoppable forces can be summoned to my side so easily, just by overlaying monsters I control that are of the same level, which they then use as fuel for their effects. Aren’t they magnificent Sabin? Don’t they fill your soul with despair just to look up at them?”

“Meh, I’ve seen scarier doing the gardening at home” Sabin replied as they passed the main stand again. Suzero laughed at him again as she reached for her duel disk.

“Hahahaha. You’re fun Sabin. Well laugh while you still can. First I activate the effect of Number 17: Leviathan Dragon. By detatching one Xyz Material using to summon him, my dragon gains five hundred attack points.” One of the comets shot into the jaws of the dragon, who consumed it with a thunderous roar (ATK: 2500). “Then I’ll activate the effect of Number 16: Shock Ruler First I get to declare one type of card. Then by consuming one its Xyz Materials, Shock Ruler prevents the activation of any cards of that type until your turns end phase. I choose spell cards, which includes the activation of any of Speed World 2’s effects. So you can forget about burning the rest of my life points away with it and the speed spell you’re so obviously waiting on. With that I will end my turn.”

Sabin silently cursed. He had indeed seen Speed Worlds burn effect as his best chance to end this quickly. Drawing his next card, he tried to keep his nerve. “Doesn’t matter. You know I can just use Axel to bring Duradark back from the graveyard and destroy both of those monsters outright. That Shock Ruler might have stopped me from using Speed World from winning this turn, but as far as a defensive wall goes you’d have been better off with all the other monsters.”

Suzero’s dark eyes narrowed. “Then go ahead.”

Her confidence was so bewildering, the force of her stare and her words so intent that he stopped just before discarding his drawn card. No, she was trying to get in his head. It was obvious what he should do. Wasn’t it? Well already today things had happened that shouldn’t have happened, enough times for him not to be so sure. He hesitated and looked at the card he was about to throw away. As much as he wanted, should, summon Duradark and attack, it was a good trap card that would protect him if it went wrong. Right now, he couldn’t afford for anything to go wrong. Yet he didn’t want to sacrifice his speed spell Angel Baton either. Cursing against all duelling instinct, Sabin changed tact and spun his runner.

“Axel, attack Leviathan Dragon!”

Sabin watched as Axel shot forward towards the giant serpent. In the now half empty stands, Yuma and Melody watched as it closed in, honed to strike. Mel and Dominik broke from their phone calls as they saw Sabin fighting back. All those still watching this duel in unnerved interest whilst unable to get out watched on as Axel leapt into its spinning attack and smashed its kick right into the snarling face of the dragon. Watched as it landed, then retreated back to the side of the pale looking Sabin. Watched in disbelief, as Sabin did, as Leviathan Dragon shook itself and retaliated with an angry roar.

“Hey! What gives?! How’s that thing still here?”

“You really thought that my monster, an almighty Number, could be taken down by your pathetic little tin can? Well it looks like you were wrong. You see, a Number monster cannot be destroyed in battle, unless it is engaged in a fight with another Number” Suzero laughed at him as she let this devastating effect sink in. “You look ill Sabin. Did I just crush your little flicker of hope, that little fighting spirit in you that believed you might win this? Well don’t worry; soon I’ll crush your body and your mind as well! And when I win... heheheheh... well let’s just say you won’t feel as ill as everyone else will be when the Numbers are unleashed upon this entire city.”

“The hell does that mean?” Sabin couldn’t stop himself from shouting at her, prompting another smirk.

“So ignorant. So naive. Don’t you have bigger problems to focus on right now?”

Growling begrudgingly that she was right, Sabin hauled his runner back the right way around and shifted gears. “Well you haven’t crushed anything yet. Whatever your plan to put everyone in this city in danger is, I’m going to stop it. I place one card face down. Turn end.”

“My draw then” Suzero cried, snatching with wild relish a card from her duel disk.

[spoiler=Summary - Round 3]

Suzero (sp 5): Front Row: 17: Leviathan Dragon, 16: Shock Ruler. Back Row: - Hand: - LP: 600

Sabin (sp 5): Front Row: Axel. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: 1 LP: 3500

“It appears your destruction will come even sooner than even I imagined” Suzero sniggered as she saw what she had drawn. “First I switch both Leviathan Dragon and Shock Ruler into attack mode. Then I’ll activate Leviathan Dragon’s effect, consuming his last Xyz Material to raise his attack by another five hundred points. Making him stronger than Axel.” With another bite at the remaining light comet, Leviathan Dragon’s roar reached new heights to match its power (ATK: 3000), whilst beside it Shock Ruler also readied itself to go on the charge (ATK: 2300).

“So this is what you did to Juruo?” Sabin asked rhetorically. “Hide behind a wall of monsters Shooting Star Dragon couldn’t destroy until you could set yourself up to overwhelm him with a combined assault. I also take it that these attacks aren’t just going to cause me just a little electric shock, are they?”

“You catch on quick” Suzero smiled wickedly at him. “But too late to do anything about it now except join your friends on their hospital beds. I activate the speed spell Half Seize. When I have three or more speed counters, I can use this spell to cripple your monsters attack by half (ATK: 1300). Then the lost attack points are added to my life points (LP: 1900). Next I activate the effect of Number 16: Shock Ruler. By detatching another Xyz Material, I can stun the activation of all trap cards until the end of your next turn. Not that this will go that far now!”

‘Oh no’ Sabin felt something cold grab his insides as his face down was completely nullified. Gasps echoed around the arena as those still watching did the sums. Raising her marked arms in the air Suzero’s deranged laughter reached new levels of delirious malice.

“Leviathan Dragon, destroy Axel!”

“From my graveyard, Necro Gardna activates. By removing him from play, one attack is negated.” The zombie warrior rose just in time, as Leviathan Dragon tipped its head back and unleashed a stream of burning mist down at the weakened Axel. The stream bounced off of Necro Gardna and rebounded into one of the concrete walls surrounding the track. When the dust eventually settled, all that was left was a large pile of rubble. Sabin hoped no-one was caught in the debris, but his own safety was more immediate when Suzero had a second monster out and nothing to stop it. She was glowering at him.

“Humph. Now you see what you are in for, let’s see you escape this time. Shock Ruler, destroy Axel.” The bulky creature charged low after him. Sabin could see the edges of its lower body were tearing up the track as it came. It steamrolled Axel like he wasn’t there and still kept on coming, hunting him down. Putting his foot to the floor in panic he tried to get away, but it kept gaining and gaining. The collision was inevitable. Sabin braced himself as the Number smashed into the side of his runner at full force.

“SABIN!”

“DADDY!”

The world was spinning. Shock Ruler had driven itself into his left at an angle as they went through the corner, sending him into a spin that struggle as he might have while dazed by the contact with the thing, he was not going to correct it before he hit the wall. Hard. His runner might have been a heavy duty model, but colliding with concrete at his speed was impossible to escape unhurt from. He hit the wall side on, and immediately roared in pain as it flipped the other way, already knowing something had been crushed on impact. Somehow he clung on, bouncing around between the armguards like a pinball, terrified his neck was going to break from the reversed movement, pain pulsating through his arms and through his brain. He tried desperately to apply the brakes, but somewhere in the chain something wasn’t responding. It wasn’t until he hit the inside wall and started grinding backwards along it that he started to lose some speed, and regain enough stability to gain control again and pull away from it. Panting heavily as he flopped back into the seat, he could feel stabs of pain everywhere from the shock of the impact (LP: 2500). But one area in particular felt more painful than anything else. Slowly nursing the runner along, he braced himself, and looked down at his right arm.

The whole arm was tingling; felt stiff, and had ballooned below the elbow. One of the tattoos on the back of the arm had something white and bloody sticking out of it. He tried to move his fingers, and cringed at the increase in pain; knowing immediately that somewhere in the force of the impact he’d both dislocated his shoulder and broken the lower arm.

“Ooh, that does look serious.”

With her two monsters in tow Suzero rolled up behind him again, presumably having done a lap while he was having his crash, and whose smug grin was even more twisted than his arm. “I’d understand if you wanted to give up now and save yourself from anymore pain. Your forfeit would automatically make me champion of course, and prove that the Numbers are the strongest monsters in existence. Fulfilling my destiny, and...”

“Yeah, you’d like me to do that wouldn’t you?” Suzero blinked in astonishment at the interruption as Sabin pulled himself forward, and put his foot on the accelerator. Heavily damaged, the engine groaned in protest, taking an age before finally summoning the power to speed up again. ‘I can’t let her win. If I do then... well... I don’t know what will happen. That’s probably my own fault for cutting her off just now when she was about to gloat about it. Ah whatever. I’m still going to fight. I’ll take down these things somehow.’ Tentatively he raised his arm to pick up his next card, and take hold of it with his fingers. Every movement was excruciating. “It’s my turn. Draw.”

The result did not please him. ‘Call of the Haunted. I guess I could chain this to Shock Rulers effect if she tries to stun all my traps again, but nothing in my graveyard matches up to Leviathan Dragon. Plus I won’t be able to use my other face down to try to protect it.’ “I activate the speed spell Angel Baton to draw two more cards.” Gritting his teeth against the stabbing pain, he picked up another two cards. Another trap, and Attack Gainer. ‘Oh come on! Of all the times for you to appear, why now?’ He could almost feel Suzero’s gleeful stare boring into the back of his head as he was forced to throw it anyway. ‘There has to be something I can use, and I’m only going to get one more chance.’ “I activate the effect of Speed World 2. By reducing my speed counters by seven, I get to draw one more card (sp: 0).” Shooting backwards, past Suzero, Sabin looked up to the main stand. They were almost empty now, enough for him to just about see the group waving to him. They had stayed for him. Begging to anything that was listening, he forced his arm off the guard to reach for his deck for the third time.

‘Did I get it?’

He looked down at the runners computer screen sitting in front of him, at the digital images of the cards across the field from him. The effects on the two cards were blank, unknown to the database, but it told him everything he needed to know. ‘This is going to hurt, but it’s my only chance.’

“I summon Ally of Justice Nullifier in attack mode.” A spherical machine supported on six legs and with two massive cannons on its back flew out beside him (ATK: 1600). Sabin glanced up at the stand again for a moment, hoping the girls were alright. “Nullifier, attack Number 16 Shock Ruler.”

“You’re out of your mind!” Suzero exclaimed as the cannons charged and fired their lasers. The shots crashed into one of the creature’s wing, only to be dismissed as little more than pleasant rainfall on the stronger creature and reflected straight back at the machine. Nullifier exploded right beside of Sabin, the force knocking him sideways with another cry as pain shot through his arm, the heat of the blast leaving his skin burning on that side. Mel and Yuma gasped in the crowd exchanged a terrified glance as Sabin’s life points took another drop (LP: 1800).

“You idiot. What exactly was that supposed to achieve, other than accelerate your own painful demise?”

“I end my turn with two face-down cards” was his only reply.

[spoiler=Summary - Round 4]

Suzero (sp 7): Front Row: 17: Leviathan Dragon, 16: Shock Ruler. Back Row: - Hand: - LP: 1900

Sabin (sp 0): Front Row: - Back Row: Face Down x3. Hand: - LP: 1800

“It’s about time I end up this little charade” Suzero called out as she drew, her duel runner turning to let her face her prey as it rumbled backwards along the track. “I activate the effect of Number 16: Shock Ruler, detatching his final Xyz Material to prevent the activation of any traps until the next end phase. Leaving me clear to finish... huh?” The girl turned her gaze to her Number monster, which had not moved at all since she had declared her intention, flying along in silence. A crackle of red electricity passed around its body. “What’s going on?”

Sabin managed to smirk at her frustration. “You might think your Shock Ruler is something special, but to my Allies of Justice he’s just another light monster that they eat for breakfast. Like after a light monster battles with Nullifier, it loses all of its effects.”

“Grr, no matter. Number 16; destroy this petulant fool with a direct attack.”

“I activate Call of the Haunted, summoning Axel back from my graveyard to protect me.” The wheeled machine leapt up between Sabin and the oncoming monster, ready to intercept (ATK: 2600). Frustrated, Suzero was forced to call the beast off.

“Number 17: Put that thing on the scrap heap for good!”

Once more Leviathan Dragon tipped its head back and unleashed its stream of burning mist breath at Axel as it braced itself, prepared to defend its duelist at any cost. Both mechanical warrior and rider were engulfed in the stream, hidden from the view of everyone who remained. Something in the fog exploded. Melody buried her face into her mother, crying her eyes out as Yuma numbly held her, unable to look away from her husband who she knew was fighting for them. Dominik stood in stunned silence, Mel collapsed into his seat in disbelief. In the medical bay Hikari couldn’t watch the carnage, burying her face in her hands. As Leviathan Dragon finally ran out of breath, nothing appeared to be moving in the cloud of mist where its prey had been. Suzero smirked in victory.

The outline of a shadow appeared in the fog, and her smile shrank a little. Then a second, before bursting out of the veil of smoky mist they emerged. First Axel, it’s once fine silver bodywork heavily scathed and discoloured (ATK: 1800), followed closely by Sabin. Similarly burnt by the mist, driving one handed while clutching at his heart with his bad arm, but nonetheless staring up at Suzero and stealing her disappearing smirk from her (LP: 1400). The few who remained in the stadium that had now almost totally evacuated cheered. Yuma started crying and telling Melody he was okay, hugging her tightly.

“You’re still going?! How?”

“I’m not going away that easily. When a monster I have out in attack would be destroyed in battle, the effect of Enduring Soul activates. My monster loses eight hundred attack points and I still take damage, but we survive the battle and carries on, battered but not beaten.”

“Persistent cockroach” Suzero snarled at him. “I place one card face down.”

Sabin drew, casting his card a quick squint (the pain in his arm was getting worse every time he moved) before adding it to his hand. “I activate my remaining face down Synchro Out. This returns Axel back to my extra deck. Then I get to summon back all the monsters used to summon him from my graveyard.” Axel sank into the track, and Chemistrer, Duradark and Tuningware rose in its stead. Coming up to a part of the track that Shock Ruler had previously torn apart forced Sabin to slow down and take the corner as wide as he could, whereas Suzero’s rugged vehicle charged across the ruined surface without a problem to increase the gap. Only once he was past and able to manage one handed again did he go back to his extra deck.

“Now the stage is set to fight back. I tune Chemistrer with Duradark and Tuningware, using it once more as a level two monster in order to bring forth an old friend of mine, whose about to bring out the heavy firepower.” The monsters joined each other in flight above him, their spirits surrounded by exploding flames. Melanc was jumping up and down, Dominik was watching in silent thought, Yuma and Melody were sat together and starting to believe. “I Synchro summon my guardian, Red Dragon Archfiend.”

Roaring thunderously, the massive black and blood red dragon charged forth, casting a shadow over Sabin in the spread of its mighty leathery wings as he drew another card (ATK: 3000). “Now if I’ve played this right, Ally of Justice Nullifier might just have done even more damage to your so called indestructible monster than you first realised. Let’s see how that ‘can only be destroyed by other Numbers’ bit holds up when all of its effects have been taken away.” The stunned look on the girls face already told him he was right. “Red Dragon Archfiend, attack Shock Ruler with all your fury.”

The great dragon was more than happy to oblige. Striking the creature with its burning fist, Shock Ruler sank and crashed into the earth, disappearing in an explosion of light. Sabin had to shield his eyes and veer out of the way to avoid blindly hitting something. He was going to hit the wall again...

He hit something, but it wasn’t concrete. Something a lot softer, and warmer too. He could hear a small shriek, and scrapping of metal against stone, but it couldn’t be his runner as it had stayed firmly in the right direction. Confused, Sabin lowered his arm, and found a pair of big pink eyes staring into his own.

“Mommy...” Melody was holding on around her mother’s shoulders, startled out of her tears by the whirlwind events of the last few seconds. Sensing the danger as Red Dragon Archfiend attacked and reacting without thinking, Yuma had found herself bolting up out of her seat and reaching into her trusty little bag for the card that was always kept closest to the top. Had grabbed it, held it tightly and prayed. Her guardian, the holy ‘Ancient Fairy Dragon’ had answered from nowhere, bursting through into this world as Shock Ruler spectacularly left it, and diving headlong between Sabin and the wall to catch him in her midriff. Her golden armour had just about protected her, and her intervention had protected him. Slowly returning to her senses, Yuma collapsed exhausted into her seat, letting Melody talk at her.

Sabin stared into the dragons pained face for a second before it all sank in. “Thanks for that” was all he could rather weakly give. Ancient Fairy took it well enough however, releasing him with a small wounded cry of encouragement to drive on, before it disappeared again into the ether. The presence of the Numbers had wounded even her; she had done all she could for Yuma. Sabin passed the main stand again, and waved to where he could see his partner. ‘Thanks babe. You always know how to look after me and Melody. Now I’m going to make sure you stay safe from this psycho chick.’ Speaking of, Suzero was a little way ahead of him. Typically she seemed unaffected by the loss of life points, except given her murderous stare she was a hell of a lot angrier, as was her remaining pet that was snarling down at him (LP: 1200).

“How dare you!” she whispered. “Both of you!”

“Heh, you jealous? Maybe you’re so messed up because you and Raesir never had anything like we share every day... and night...” The taunt further enraged her. “I end my turn with one face down card.”

[spoiler=Summary - Round 5]

Suzero (sp 9): Front Row: 17: Leviathan Dragon. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: - LP: 1200

Sabin (sp 2): Front Row: Red Dragon Archfiend. Back Row: CotH, E. Soul, Face Down. Hand: - LP: 1400

“My turn” declared Suzero. Her eyes narrowed at the result. “Yes. This will do nice and painfully. Because my life points are lower than two thousand, I can now special summon Endless Decay from my hand. Then its attack points become equal to half of your life points.” The bandaged zombie monster rose awkwardly up (ATK: 700). “Then I activate my face down card, Powerful Rebirth. This summons my level four Flamvell Firedog back from the graveyard, and increasing its level by one.” Sabin’s fleeting coolness evaporated as he saw where this was going, and it was about to go the worst possible way.

“Hang on. That means you control two level five monsters?”

“Indeed I do. So you know what that means. I overlay my now level five Flamvell Firedog and Endless Decay, to Xyz Summon once more.” Cackling maniacally, Suzero watched the two familiar jets of light soar up in a spiral before coming crashing down into the vortex opening between her and her doomed opponent. “You think your dragon is explosive, wait until you see this. Rise Number 61: Volcasaurus.”

The track in front of Sabin exploded as the Number beneath came out, sending chunks of concrete into the empty stands. Red Dragon Archfiend immediately went into intercept, to protect Sabin from the debris that flew his way and roaring as the rocks hit him, although the duelist still had to dart around the rocks along the ground and miss the crater this thing had left in its wake. Finally clear, he could see this new creature was a huge monster made from volcanic rock was flying before him, a dinosaur of the traditional sort with many spines across its broad shoulders and running down to its tail. The number 61 was emblazoned on its left shoulder (ATK: 2500).

“Now I activate the effect of Volcasaurus” Suzero screamed at him over the roar of the beast as it consumed its own material. Her long hair was flying around in every direction regardless of wind; her hand was shaking with rage as she pointed at him. “By using up one Xyz material, it destroys your monster immediately, and then you take damage equal to that monsters attack. It’s been fun.”

Sabin froze in his seat. He had a face down, but he had set that to protect himself from Speed World. There was no way he could have accommodated for this too. Suzero had so many advantages now, with every attempt to finish him thwarted she just used another one, and he was almost out of defence. It was going to be impossible to stop her. It took a huge effort just to use his trap. “I activate Damage Polarizer” he said hollowly. “This negates the effect of a card that would do damage, then we both draw one card.”

Suzero stared thunderously at him as she picked up her next card. But even though he’d avoided the jaws of defeat for another few moments, he was out of lives now. He had been praying for Battle Fader to come to his aid and protect him from the inevitable, his last chance to fight on for another turn, but it hadn’t come. He had nothing left to stop her from ending it this turn. She had enough speed to destroy Red Dragon Archfiend with Speed World, and there was nothing he would be able to do to stop her from striking him down. He’d failed. His wedding ring drew his sight again. A tear trickled down his cheek.

“Leviathan Dragon, attack Red Dragon Archfiend.”

“Eh?” Surprised Sabin bolted his head up to see the blue dragon unleash its attack at his monster, who responded in kind with its own flaming breath. Their attack strength was tied, but the Numbers would survive a draw. But why was she even going for that? “Enduring Soul activates once more. Red Dragon Archfiend survives at the cost of eight hundred attack points (ATK: 2200).” Both monsters attacks petered out in a stalemate.

“Volcasaurus, follow it up with your attack.” The second Number unleashing a stream of fire up at the weakened dragon. Again Sabin activated Enduring Soul, keeping his battered and heavily weakened monster going. The great dragon was clearly in pain as it flew over him, swaying slightly in midair (ATK: 1400). He was in pain too, not to mention exhausted from the effort of keeping going and the steady increase of injuries with every attack (LP: 1100). Growing increasing frustrated with his persistence, Suzero placed a card face down, then... “I activate the effect of Speed World 2. By removing ten speed counters, I can destroy Red Dragon Archfiend once and for all.” Above him, Red Dragon Archfiend finally lost its strength and disappeared.

Mental and physical exhaustion not helping his confusion, Sabin slowly pulled in the gap to the demented duelist. “Why... do it in that order? Why didn’t you... just finish me off?”

“Believe me, I would if I could have done” Suzero folded her arms and sniffed at him. “However Leviathan Dragon can’t attack directly when it has no Xyz Materials left, and in the same vein neither can Volcasaurus during a turn it attempts to use its effect. There’s nothing more you have to give, it’s just the drawbacks of my monsters that have kept you alive for another pointless turn. Just dumb luck. But you know now you’re finished. You can’t win. You can’t stop me. You can’t... protect... anyone...”

Staring down at the ruined track ahead of his runner, Sabin automatically picked up his next card. He couldn’t bear to look at this fiend who was smiling victoriously at him. He definitely couldn’t look up at the stands at the loved ones he was about to let down. As he sat unmoving on his runner, Suzero just looked at him and laughed.

“If it makes you feel any better, they won’t be in any pain when it happens.”

Sabin blinked, and looked back up at his smirking opponent. “...What?”

“Well I say won’t... maybe just a little bit.” Suzero made a small gap between her finger and thumb to indicate a small amount, although before slowly increasing the gap as far as she could stretch with a sickening grin. “Well I say maybe just a little bit... Heheheh, I’m not very good at reassuring you, am I?”

“I don’t understand, what are you even talking about?” The despair slowly started to fade. “Tell me.”

“Oh yeah, you still don’t know. Well it’s very simple. You know that during this tournament, the population here has swelled with competitors and spectators coming in from all over the Empire right? So many ordinary people, not unlike how I once was. Just living out their mundane little lives, going through their days abiding by society and law as they trudge through trying to be good and happy. But all the while they try to ignore the darkness they know lurks deep within them, try to bury it away and not give into the temptation to do and take what they really want. Everyone has this dark side. But the Numbers will help these people unlock their true potential; will let them be free to live how they really want to. The Numbers will show people their true selves, and convince them to embrace it like I have.”

“I still don’t understand. What’s that got to do with you entering this tournament with Raesir? How can your duel monsters possibly do that?”

“My Numbers are the strongest cards in existence. I know that, you know that, and when I win this tournament everyone else will know that. When I become champion, their power will be proven absolutely, and only then can the Numbers be unleashed to spread across this city. Not only are they unstoppable in battle, but they also have the power to see into the thoughts and desires of the people who they come into contact with. When I win they will all be released from me, and there are currently a lot of people for them to come into contact with. The Numbers will show people the power and glory of the darkness inside of them, help them to let it out and embrace it.”

Sabin sat up in alarm. “You mean everyone here who comes into contact with a Number will become infected with its power, and become like you?”

“Infected is such a nasty word Sabin, you offend me. I’d prefer to say... enlightened.” Suzero’s malicious grin widened as she watched Sabin hang his head. “Don’t be so down, this is the dawn of a new world. A world without inhibitions or ethics holding people back. Where pandemonium will rule. There will be no discrimination or difference, because everyone will be like me. Those who aren’t touched by Numbers right away might not agree, but they will be convinced in the end no matter where they hide. This is my destiny, to bring this world out of the ordinary light and into exciting, glorious chaos. Come now Sabin, you’ve done what you thought was right, but there’s no reason for you to keep struggling against it anymore. Your time is past now. Give up and willingly embrace the Numbers power.”

Sabin was only a little aware at how hard he was shaking at, at how hard he was gripping the handles of his duel runner. What this fiend had revealed, she was like the source of some kind of disease, set to unleash it and infect everyone here. Including Yuma and Melody. They would either be infected and become like her, driven mad by the darkness she’d submitted to, or would be hunted down by thousands like her in a criminal anarchy state. Somewhere in the back of his mind, something snapped. Driven by rage, ignoring all pain, he slammed his foot into the accelerator.

Suzero recoiled in shock as the runner carrying her opponent charged straight at her. Had she been driving manually she probably wouldn’t have reacted in time, but her piloted quad did somehow managed to swerve out of the way, Sabin missing her by mere inches as he hurtled past. Swearing dark curses, Suzero resettled herself as the runner turned and set about the chase. Sabin meanwhile had taken a glance at the card he had drawn. It was very appropriate for how he felt right now, but it also gave him a chance. Maybe.

“You might have given yourself to this disease the Numbers have corrupted you with Suzero. But if you think for one second I’m going to let you spread it to everyone I care about, then you’re even more out of your mind then I thought. I will stop you. I place two cards face down and end my turn.”

[spoiler=Summary - Round 6]

Suzero (sp 1): Front Row: 17: Leviathan Dragon, 61: Volcasaurus. Back Row: Face Down. Hand: - LP: 1200

Sabin (sp 4): Front Row: - Back Row: CotH, Enduring Soul. Hand: 1 LP: 1100

“You just don’t get it!” The quad charging down on him as both machines strained every cog and piston to go faster, Suzero continued to scream at him. “You can’t stop me! Change is coming, whether you like or not! Volcasaurus, bury him!”

“I activate the trap card Red Screen” Sabin countered with equal fury. “While this card remains in play, your monsters can’t attack.” Red Screen did come at a heavy price, but it would protect him for a few turns while he came up with a plan at least. However Suzero could still...

“You have nowhere to hide from me, because when you activate a trap, I can activate Explosive Urchin. Now during my next Standby Phase, Explosive Urchin will deal you one thousand points of damage as long as you have a trap card face up on the field. And right now you have quite a few.”

In the stands, the three adults realised what that meant. Melody didn’t understand the finer details of every card so looked at Mel, who had turned a shade paler. “Red Screen forces Sabin to pay one thousand life points to keep it on the field. That would put him down to his last hundred, before Explosive Urchin activates at the start of Suzero’s turn...” A clip around the head from Dominik shut him up.

“Mommy? Daddy will beat the scary lady, won’t he?”

“Of course he will sweetheart” Yuma said automatically. “Of course he will...”

“I place one card face down. And with that done, you’re completely and utterly trapped. My victory and my destiny are assured.” Suzero folded her arms and waited for Sabin to make his final move.

‘Alright, this is my last chance. If I don’t draw the right card now, everything will be lost.’ Adrenaline overriding the body’s protests of moving his arm one more time, Sabin placed his fingertips to his deck. ‘All the progress this world has made, all that those people went through, it will all be undone. All the sacrifices my friends made to save this world will be just made to see it destroyed. Her Numbers will go after Yuma, and make her like... that. And Melody, even if they left her alone, she will lose us both and be lost in a city that would destroy itself.’ His fingers tightened on the card. “I draw!” Sabin flipped his card, to reveal the speed spell he had been counting on. ‘I can’t let that happen to them. No matter what...’

“I activate the speed spell Deceased Synchron. By removing Synchro materials in my graveyard from play, I can bring a Synchro monster to the field for one turn and one turn only.” One by one the ghostly images of Chemistrer, Duradark and Nullifier rose and joined forces, opening a huge portal behind Sabin. “Here comes the heavy firepower, the Allies ultimate destructive force. Ally of Justice Decisive Cannon.” The giant triple cannon emerged, all barrels pointing at Suzero. (ATK: 3300).

“Still you fight on, but unfortunately although your monster may outgun both of mine, its attack points fall short of doing enough damage to finish me off. But speaking of falling, just to make sure...” Suzero’s face down card, Bottomless Trap Hole, activated; played to stop any unforeseen dangers before they could arise. Just as Sabin had hoped.

“I activate Burning Rebirth. By releasing a high level Synchro monster, which Decisive Cannon will do me for quite nicely, I can resurrect a certain other one from my graveyard. Rise again, Red Dragon Archfiend.” The heavy weapon disappeared into an inferno of a portal before Suzero’s trap could seize hold, and soaring out in its place came the signer dragon, roaring furiously (ATK: 3000). “Now that Red Dragon is back, I can activate Red Screen’s other effect. By sending it to the graveyard, I can summon a level one tuner monster from it. I chose my Attack Gainer. Then I summon Ally of Justice Cyclone Creator from my hand.”

The mechanical bird and tiny warrior appeared either side of the colossal dragon, as Sabin reached for his last card. A special card. A blank card. Since Yuma handed it to him two years ago, he had never really dedicated himself to finding a purpose for it, taking the approach that it would reveal itself when it was needed. Well if ever something was needed, now would be a good time. Holding the card close to his heart, he closed his eyes and let everything wash over him. Juruo lying in the med bay. Raesir who was probably dead in the pit lane. The guys in the stadium. Yuma and Melody. Something pulsed inside him. He looked back, and a dragon stared back out of the card at him. The card had become whole.

“Synchro Summon. I double tune Red Dragon Archfiend with the tuner monsters Cyclone Creator and Attack Gainer.” The two tuner monsters joined forces, their spirits colliding to create a great flaming ring for the dragon to pass through. As it did, the creature grew, its body started to contort and change behind a veil of flame. Somewhere behind him Suzero was staring up at it in wonder, as he cried out for his ultimate monster to emerge. “Burst forth in a blaze of glory, Red Nova Dragon!”

The flame veil exploded to reveal the terrifying evolved form of the demonic dragon. A lean black hided creature covered near entirely in blood red plate, with sharp spikes cutting all down its back and tail into a mighty axe of a tip, the dragon just screamed ‘killing machine’ to all who dared stand against it (ATK: 3500). Spreading its huge black wings the dragon turned to face the chasing duelist, who for the first time looked and sounded concerned.

“This might be a problem” she managed to utter to herself as she and her monsters stared up into the horned face of the beast, and the flame starting to glow behind its many teeth.

“Got that right. Cuz when Red Nova is out he gains five hundred attack points for each tuner in my graveyard, of which there are two. Not to mention Attack Gainer cripples Volcasaurus by a thousand points as well.” Suzero was powerless to do anything other than watch as the two creatures underwent their swings in power (ATK: 4500 to 1500). Gripping the handles of his runner as tight as he could despite his state, Sabin cried up to his rescuer. “Red Nova, attack Volcasaurus.”

“No! Not when I’m so close” Suzero started to protest desperately. “Numbers! Fire back!”

Both of the two Numbers monsters fired up at the dragon floating over them, hoping a combined assault might stop it. Red Nova had to fight to swat its way through the two streams of attacks, before unleashing its own huge wave of crimson fire down on them. The forces collided. There was a huge explosion that forced all watching to look away or be blinded...

Melody was the first to look. In the corner to their left in the main stand, the explosion had been devastating. The three beasts had all disappeared, leaving behind a large smouldering crater the entire width of the track and more besides as the stand and central area started to feel the effects as well. On the far side of the crater, the burning remains of the quad runner could be seen lying upside down. The still semi-naked upper body of the ‘scary lady’ could be seen trapped underneath it, the symbols that had covered her body were slowly fading away. But that wasn’t the little girls concern. Following the track around, she saw the other runner lying against the inside wall, bent almost completely in half and similarly on fire. There was no trace of anyone beside it.

Dropping for her still dazed mother’s lap, Melody ran along the row of seats to the stone stairways and hurried down the flights of them towards the track. After a few seconds Dominik, Melanc and Yuma came to their senses too, to the same scenes that the little girl had, although with the addition of a missing child to go with it. Yuma jumped up in panic, searching for her wildly until she saw her halfway down to the track. Of course being taller, she could see more of what was down there...

“Oh my god, Sabin. Mel quick, stop her.” The stunned teenager jumped into action as the two chased after the little girl who was running down the stairs, Dominik setting off after them. Melody had reached the bottom of the main stand and was running along it, to a small break in the wall caused by the carnage. Desperate to stop her from getting on the track the group ran after her for all they were worth. But they were never going to get to her in time as she reached and lifted herself through the crack in the wall, and out onto the track.

“Daddy?”

Sabin was lying on his side in the middle of the track, thrown a further thirty feet away from the explosion than where his runner had ended up. He was laying facing away from her, meaning she couldn’t see anything until she got closer. Nervously Melody ran up to him, reaching him just as the adults got onto the track. His arm was bent at an impossible angle, and his face and body were covered in scars and bruises, blood trickling from his mouth. Melody shook him by the shoulder. He didn’t move.

“Daddy, wake up. You beat the scary lady... Daddy? P-p-please stop lying there like that. You’re scaring me. Dad-dy... Wake up...”

Shaking him harder and harder, Melody started to cry as the three adults finally got to her. Nervously Melanc scooped her up, to her absolute fury. The little girl thrashed in his arms screaming at him “Let me go! I want my daddy!” The teenager held her tightly despite her best efforts to break free, keeping her away from the others as they rolled Sabin onto his back. Dom was trying to find a pulse, any sign of life, ignoring the borrowed phone blaring constantly at him. Yuma was kneeling beside him, tightly squeezing his hand and caressing his face, telling him to wake up. He had to wake up. She gasped as Dominik put his hands on Sabin’s chest and started desperately trying to resuscitate him. There was no response. After a minute he tried breathing into him a few times, then another minute - an eternal minute - of chest compressions. There was still no response.

There was a long pause, before Dominik stopped administrating his CPR and looked at Yuma. Tears streaked her pretty face, her lips were trembling. “I’m sorry Yuma, there’s nothing more I can do.”

Time stood still. The sound of battle having been silent for a few minutes, people were starting to creep back into stadium, walking in to see both duelists lying on the ruined track. Unbeknown to Dominik, the television cameras were still broadcasting after the crew had fled as well. Across the Empire people were sat in the homes, having watched this brave young man fight tooth and nail against this demonic opponent despite not understanding everything that had been on the line other than the damage, and he was now lying still on the track with his partner kneeling over him. In the stadium medical bay, Hikari was watching the same pictures, and hung her head in despair, holding onto Juruo’s body for support.

Yuma simply shook her head at Dominik, and lay down beside her husband, cradling him tightly as she pressed against him. “Please don’t leave me. You promised you’d never leave me. I don’t know what I could do without you. Melody and I need you.” Still no response.

Something wriggled underneath her. Melody had either broken free of Mel or he had decided to let her go to Yuma, and she had wriggled under her arm so she could hold onto both parents, be in their embrace for a few more moments. Yuma wrapped her arm around her as she started crying again, and held the other around Sabin’s neck as she buried her face into his shoulder. “Please. Don’t leave us.”

“Uhhh...”

Yuma raised her head slightly, thinking her ears were hearing what she wanted to hear. Dominik looked up in confusion, as did Mel.

“Uhh.... ow?”

Yuma and Melody collapsed back onto Sabin as he coughed, and slowly opened his eyes.

“Sabin!”

“Daddy!”

“Ow! What the...? Ah... girls... please... not so tight... I think my ribs are broken... why are you crying?”

“You idiot” Yuma was somehow managing to be crying, laughing and angry all at the same time. “We thought we’d lost you. You terrified me, and your daughter... But you were fighting for us weren’t you? What happened out there?”

“Ah... sorry about that... (cough)... I promise I’ll leave the evil psychopaths to others in the future. But can I explain later? It’s painful to talk even without you two squeezing me so hard.” Staring up at the sky, he could see Dominik come into view, along with Mel and someone else in a suit. “I suppose you’ll want my account too right?”

“Yeah at some point, but we’ll get you to hospital right now” Dominik replied, before turning to the other suit. Presumably he was another organiser of the tournament. Sabin didn’t really care right now. He was just happy to lie here for now with Yuma and Melody, until the medics made their way over.

“Well I’ve got to hand it to them. The doctors here are pretty amazing.”

“Yeah. Shame the food’s horrible.”

It was the next morning and Sabin was lying in a hospital bed, his arm and ribs wrapped in bandages, with a now conscious Juruo in the bed next to him. The medics had also managed to save Raesir’s life after his horrific injuries, and they had heard how he had since given a full account to the police about how he and Suzero met, what she had told him in terms of her ambitions for the tournament, and trying to work out how involved he was on several charges. He was protesting that he was just an innocent victim who had been helping his lover to a noble cause, having no idea of her real goals or the full extent of her power until after the semi final.

“You think he’s telling the truth?” Juruo asked whilst taking an aimless stab at his meal.

Sabin shrugged. “He seemed pretty cut up when he was duelling me, like he didn’t want to do it. I don’t doubt that he was probably just used, Suzero said so herself. I just think that he’s a complete idiot.”

“I think so too.” Hikari was sat beside Juruo. “But the police will want to be seen charge someone for what happened, and with her being crushed by her runner I suspect Raesir will take the fall. Regardless of whether or not he deserves it they’ll lock him up for a while.”

“Probably the safest place for him” Juruo shrugged, before trying to push his unfinished food away. Hikari pushed it right back, telling him he needed to build his strength and eventually had to force feed him. Sabin took no pleasure in watching this; he knew he would soon be next to suffer this fate.

The doors to the ward swung open, and six people walked in. First came a doctor, who started to checking Sabin’s records, whilst the suited Dominik, carrying a briefcase under his arm, came to a smart stop beside Sabin’s bed. Melanc and Juruo’s mother Emily walked past him and sat beside Hikari, making sure he was alright. Yuma came in last, carrying Melody with her along with a bundle of flowers and books for the patients, both of them were beaming as they each gave Sabin a kiss. Eventually the doctor was satisfied and went away, leaving them to it. Dominik cleared his throat, before placing the briefcase on a table and opening it.

“Your prize money” he stated, indicating a replica cheque. “Your championship title.”

The group watched Dominik lift a heavy silver belt, embedded with several precious stones and the image of a large dragon, out of the suitcase and help Sabin hold it with his good arm. His name had been engraved at the bottom. He was officially the first duel champion of the new era.

“Thanks. Any news on Suzero?”

He shook his head. “No. We don’t know who she was or where she came from, and we certainly don’t know anything about those Numbers monsters she used. When we got on the track we found she had been killed instantly, but the cards she used disappeared along with her markings. As soon as that happened, all our computers started working normally again. We’re doing our best to look for the cards, but I don’t know if we’ll find anything.” He sighed, looking out the window at the sunny scenery. “What are you two doing when you get out?”

Juruo shrugged, having not given it any thought. Sabin just took Yuma’s hand and smiled at her. “Well I think all things considered, I’m going to retire from duelling.”

“You serious?” the boys blurted.

“Course. I don’t care if this was a one-off, I’ve put this two through enough and I want to spend more time with them. I’ve got nothing left to prove.” Yuma kissed him again, and let Melody sit in his lap and ask him to read for her, much to his delight. Dominik bade the party good day, before leaving to continue his job of cleaning up the events of the final. The group wished him luck, but for Sabin it was no longer his concern. Even if there were still threats out there, there would be others who could take the mantle of heroes. His days of being a hero were over. As he suspected Juruo and Hikari’s were; as given the events they would probably look to settle down as well now. Hopefully they would be able to, and never have to be called on to save the world again. Sabin let Melody snuggle in his good arm, smiling as she rested in his championship in her lap and Yuma sat on the edge of the bed next to him, and began reading her a story.

If I could ask that people responding to this chapter please please please use spoilers. They do work now, and we do have Rai, CAD and Rupert just started reading this story.

But anyway, that is it. Hopefully the ending was satisfying for people. I'm going to leave it open until Sunday/Monday for a few more comments on it, before I go to Kyubey or someone and request it is locked and consigned to the ravages of history forever.

So now after those chapters took a lot more time than I thought they would, I am definately going to take a break for two months or so before starting writing my next fanfic; under the working title of Yu-Gi-Oh! 24. Going to aim to make it one of the first fics for '4th generation YuGiOh!' using predominantly cards from the Zexal and latter DT eras. Going to be doing some research in the mean time because a lot has to be planned in advance. Currently the basics of the plot are in place although the fine details need work, and a lot of characters have been designed along with 29 decks built/in process of build and confirmed for use.

So yeah. Until then. Matt

So it's all over now, huh?

I'll miss this story. Matt, I think you should consider writing as a possible career, you've got talent for it.

That duel was intense, I read it all in one shot and it had grabbed me in all the way until the end.

Kinda sad that Sabin's retiring, but it's just as well. I hope Juruo would go on at least 1 more year to win the title and then retire, but that's just me.

The only thing that caught me was when Suzero said "This will be trouble..." I thought she had at least 1 more plan, but then Scar Red kinda ended the whole thing unexpectedly.

Still, nice finisher and I'm glad we had a happy ending.

Overall, I'm glad you came to me looking for advice (it's funny because I find your literary prowess greater than mine) or I probably would never have bothered checking out this fic or any other works here. You should be proud for crafting a great story and I have no doubts your next fic will be just as awesome.

Not to mention, you actually finished a fanfic.

On YCM.

Like, when does that ever happen? I can only think of me and Umbra, really.

It's been a fun ride. And again, let me know when the new story's here. I'll be first in line.

So it's all over now, huh?

I'll miss this story. Matt, I think you should consider writing as a possible career, you've got talent for it.

That duel was intense, I read it all in one shot and it had grabbed me in all the way until the end.

Kinda sad that Sabin's retiring, but it's just as well. I hope Juruo would go on at least 1 more year to win the title and then retire, but that's just me.

The only thing that caught me was when Suzero said "This will be trouble..." I thought she had at least 1 more plan, but then Scar Red kinda ended the whole thing unexpectedly.

Still, nice finisher and I'm glad we had a happy ending.

Overall, I'm glad you came to me looking for advice (it's funny because I find your literary prowess greater than mine) or I probably would never have bothered checking out this fic or any other works here. You should be proud for crafting a great story and I have no doubts your next fic will be just as awesome.

Not to mention, you actually finished a fanfic.

On YCM.

Like, when does that ever happen? I can only think of me and Umbra, really.

It's been a fun ride. And again, let me know when the new story's here. I'll be first in line.

Yep, this time we're all done.

That's very nice of you to say sir, but I'd wouldn't like to think of writing as a job. I'm not that creative or anything, but it makes me happy you said that.

Originally Suzero was going to have Mirror Force ready instead of Explosive Urchin, but due to a mistake I realisied Sabin had more LP and couldn't do the 'I draw a spell and this is over' thing. But Red Nova Dragon being the absolute final card was better than a pointless Mirror Force.

Next fic is in the planning stage, should be around in January (like most people my work will be mega busy pre-christmas, so don't intend to be writing anything much before that.)

You could've just double-posted. Or at least made a post and then delete it to bump the thread =/.

[spoiler=Spoilerz]Ending was... alright. I was correct in saying that it would be hard to bring the same sense of closure that we had pre-Juruo's aftermath. I'm not gonna lie - the duel felt rather rushed. Though it had some quite brilliant plays and was very exciting, it seemed to end too quickly, too simply, before we got any real bearing of what was going on there. Ancient Fairy intervening was a nice surprise. I'd have at least liked to see a Savior Demons cameo there. Since this was, after all, the very last chapter, I think you could've easily gotten away with making the duel longer / larger content-wise.

Also... I think the whole story ended on a rather sad note. Raesir's hit pretty hard again without anything going for him. And Juruo and Sabin are pretty much forced to abandon doing what they like because it tends to f*** them up real hard every time they try to do it. I'm all for the idea of the protagonists retiring after a difficult adventure, but that felt a rather unfair way to go about it. Although the family ending was pretty sweet, too.

Of course, I don't dislike these aftermath chapters at all. Hikari deserved her salvation, and the conclusion of Carla's story was very important to me. And of course, Sabin was given his time to shine, and was finally able to showcase his change and character development. But when I read the finishing lines of Purpose, I didn't feel like I had finished reading Armageddon. That was the feeling I got when I read the first aftermath, which, like I said, would be very tough to beat.

Either way, good job at creating one of the Fanfic section's most powerful legacies. I'm very much looking forward to hearing about your next work.

You could've just double-posted. Or at least made a post and then delete it to bump the thread =/.

[spoiler=Spoilerz]Ending was... alright. I was correct in saying that it would be hard to bring the same sense of closure that we had pre-Juruo's aftermath. I'm not gonna lie - the duel felt rather rushed. Though it had some quite brilliant plays and was very exciting, it seemed to end too quickly, too simply, before we got any real bearing of what was going on there. Ancient Fairy intervening was a nice surprise. I'd have at least liked to see a Savior Demons cameo there. Since this was, after all, the very last chapter, I think you could've easily gotten away with making the duel longer / larger content-wise.

Also... I think the whole story ended on a rather sad note. Raesir's hit pretty hard again without anything going for him. And Juruo and Sabin are pretty much forced to abandon doing what they like because it tends to f*** them up real hard every time they try to do it. I'm all for the idea of the protagonists retiring after a difficult adventure, but that felt a rather unfair way to go about it. Although the family ending was pretty sweet, too.

Of course, I don't dislike these aftermath chapters at all. Hikari deserved her salvation, and the conclusion of Carla's story was very important to me. And of course, Sabin was given his time to shine, and was finally able to showcase his change and character development. But when I read the finishing lines of Purpose, I didn't feel like I had finished reading Armageddon. That was the feeling I got when I read the first aftermath, which, like I said, would be very tough to beat.

Either way, good job at creating one of the Fanfic section's most powerful legacies. I'm very much looking forward to hearing about your next work.

Hmm, yeah, the last little bit was a little flat. Originally it was supposed to end with Sabin being presented with the title straight after winning the duel, but then it changed to accomodate the other stuff and wouldn't have been appropriate. Gotta say I'm a tad frustrated that I've made this duel too short, given how I wanted to get dueling faster over these three chapters as some of the matches in the story dragged. I had made both Sabin and Suzero 50 card decks with some real odd cards to chose from and everything, then I didn't use half of them and should have done. Grr!

Can understand how you feel about the closer though, it was a struggle to do (was at it for a few days solid before getting really frustrated). But glad they were okay overall. Now let's make that serve as proof this shouldn't be dragged out any further :lol:

I think you meant "shouldn't", and if so, I can vouch for that. A story needs an ending, and a story like Armageddon deserves an ending. Dragging it out any further would progressively diminish its value. The point at which it was finished was perfect, and though the aftermath chapters were pretty cool, they were more than enough to bring about the closure that was needed to everything. A sequel or prequel might be a different story, but I feel you explored Armageddon's universe quite fully at this point.

I think you meant "shouldn't", and if so, I can vouch for that. A story needs an ending, and a story like Armageddon deserves an ending. Dragging it out any further would progressively diminish its value. The point at which it was finished was perfect, and though the aftermath chapters were pretty cool, they were more than enough to bring about the closure that was needed to everything. A sequel or prequel might be a different story, but I feel you explored Armageddon's universe quite fully at this point.

I did.

Don't intend to sequel or anything at all. Want to play with a new toy now; with new cards, and new characters. (Characters and decks are two of the most concrete things ready for the next story, and some of them, especially on the villian front, are going to be good.)

May need your help with some things given its previously highlighted similarities to Dead Zone, just over technical issues and such as I'm not the greatest whizz with a cpu or anything, if thats okay.

I would like to say that this was a very good story, the whole way through, and am looking forward to the next one that you create. Other than that, congradulations on finishing the story, a rare acomplishment on this forum, and good luck with the next one.

Thanks.

Whew, finally finished reading. This fic has just been so awesome, I can't believe it's ended. On the other hand, it seems you're working on a new one. I'll be waiting for that, and will whole-heartedly support you when it comes.

Haha nice work to get through it all so quickly and glad you enjoyed it. But as they say, all (hopefully good) things must end, and make way for the new era. Of course I am talking about the Zexal/Xyz era which I none too subtlely got my eye in with at the end there.

[spoiler=Preview of Next Fanfic]

The next fic is in the planning stage, at the minute a lot has been done in terms of the initial what's going to happen, but need to work out some of the why and how. The great challenge/struggle I'm having with it at the minute is the aspect of time and managing each characters time which is extremely important in this fic; especially during the first arc where there's only x part of the cast introduced and each getting equal focus (I'm making sure I do that this time) and they do have to spend time running/driving around from place to place which I'm doing my best to make sure is realistic.

In terms of characters, I think 25(ish) characters have been confirmed to some concrete degree, and 29 decks have also been pencilled in (well I say that... that does include 'Galatic Overlord Archtype 1' as 'confirmed'). I want this to be as fresh as possible, so it will be a case of pretty much ZEXAL/Duel Terminal/some 5D's cards for the most part, although the odd classic deck might sneak in where appropriate. Still waiting a lot on cards to be confirmed for Order of Chaos, etc too.

Will continue to plan and prepare over the coming weeks but won't be doing any serious writing as need a break, and work is about to go crazy form Christmas. So the new fic is tentatively pencilled for mid to late January. Shouldn't be later, want to make sure I get in before the next banlist that could potentially screw a few of the more important characters decks up.

There will be plenty of advertising beforehand so you shouldn't miss it...

24:00... 24:00... 24:00...........................................

Well guess there's only one thing left to say and that is thank you SO so much everyone for reading and being really enthusiastic about this story. It's been a blast. But now if the great Kyubey wouldn't mind gracing this place with his prescence just this once. (Can't believe I'm really gonna type this... Must... not... shed..... tears.....)

This is Juruo, Sabin, Hikari, Yuma, Mel and all the cast signing off and saying goodbye. As for me, see you soon with another story as soon as possible. :)

Matt (Verz Bahamut)

Topic lock.

Archived