[Official Thread] Exceed Monsters

[center][img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110219073231/yugioh/images/thumb/8/8b/No17ReviseDragonGENF-JP-UR.png/300px-No17ReviseDragonGENF-JP-UR.png[/img][/center][Spoiler=Exceed Info and "Rulings" from Shriek][u][b]About Rank[/b][/u]---An Exceed Monster's Rank is NOT its Level. Exceed Monsters do not have a Level. Therefore, any effects that would refer to the Level of a monster cannot be applied to an Exceed Monster under any circumstances.
[u][b]About Exceed Summoning[/b][/u]
---In order to Exceed Summon an Exceed Monster, you must first take the required Exceed Material Monsters face-up on your side of the field and stack them together. Then, the Exceed Monster is Exceed Summoned from your Extra Deck, and placed on top of the stack.
---The respective battle positions of the Exceed Material Monsters do not matter, so long as they are all face-up. However, once you have Exceed Summoned your Exceed Monster, ensure that the entire stack is neatly aligned according to the Exceed Monster's battle position.
---An Exceed Summon is a type of Special Summon, and an Exceed Monster cannot be Special Summoned from the Graveyard or removed from play pile unless it was properly Exceed Summoned first.
---Some effects may require you to remove Exceed Material Monsters from an Exceed Monster. In this case, the required Exceed Material Monsters are taken from beneath the Exceed Monster in question and sent to the Graveyard. Be wary though, as some such effects may have a sting in the tail should an Exceed Monster have no Exceed Material Monsters left beneath it.[b][u]
About Exceed Material monsters:[/u][/b]
---Note that an Exceed Monster Special Summoned via any means other than an Exceed Summon will thus not have any Exceed Material Monsters beneath it. Therefore, any negative effects that might apply to an Exceed Monster in such a state will be applied immediately.
---Exceed Material Monsters are not treated as cards, when the Exceed Material is taken off an Exceed Monster and put into the Graveyard, they're not treated as being sent from the field to the Graveyard! This means that cards like Sangan will not activate their effect!
---Tokens cannot be used for an Exceed Summon.
---Trap Monsters can be used for an Exceed Summon.[/spoiler][spoiler=OCG FAQ Q & A]Q: If you have enough face-up monsters, can you perform more than one Exceed Summon in the same turn?
A: Providing you have enough monsters, you can perform more than one Exceed Summon in the same turn.

Q: Can you use Tokens like Fluff Tokens as Exceed Materials for Exceed Summons?
A: You cannot use Tokens as Exceed Materials.

Q: If the face-up Exceed Material Monsters you use are in different Battle Positions, if you cannot standarize their positions, is it impossible to perform the Exceed Summon? Also, if they are in different Battle Positions, how do you stack them under the monster?
A: When you perform the Exceed Summon, the Battle Position of the monsters is irrelevant. Also, you place them vertically under the Exceed Monster. Furthermore, the Exceed Material Monsters are Public Knowledge.

Q: Can you use a Cyber Dragon and a Machine-type Monster that are currently being treated as Exceed Material Monsters stacked under a Monster Card to Special Summon Chimeratech Fortress Dragon by sending them to the Graveyard?
A: It's not possible to use a stacked Cyber Dragon and Machine-type monster treated as Exceed Materials to Special Summon Chimeratech Fortress Dragon.

Q: If you control a face-down monster, can you use it as an Exceed Material to Summon an Exceed Monster?
A: You cannot use a face-down monster as an Exceed Material for an Exceed Summon. You can only use face-up monsters.

Q: If you control 5 Monsters, so that there's no room in your Monster Card Zone, can you stack the required Exceed Materials in order to Summon an Exceed Monster?
A: Even if you control 5 monsters, it's possible to perform an Exceed Summon.

Q: Regarding the Star(s) under an Exceed Monster's name, is this treated as the Exceed Monster's Level? For example, can you equip it with Cards like Synchro Boost or Demotion?
A: The Star(s) under an Exceed Monster's name are considered to be its Rank, not its Level. Therefore, since it has no Level, you cannot equip it with Cards like Synchro Boost or Demotion.

Q: Regarding the Star(s) under an Exceed Monster's name, if a monster has 4 or more of these Stars, is it switched to Defense Position by the effect of Level Limit - Area B? Also, if Gravity Bind is active, does it stop it from attacking?
A: The Star(s) under an Exceed Monster's name are considered to be its Rank, not its Level. Therefore, it's never affected by Level Limit - Area B. Furthermore, Gravity Bind does not stop it from attacking.

Q: The Exceed Monster's Rank is not treated as its Level, but could it be used as a Synchro Material Monster?
A: The Exceed Monster's Rank is not treated as its Level, therefore, it cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster.

Q: You Special Summon Plaguespreader Zombie with its own effect. Can you use it as an Exceed Material? If so, is it Removed from Play?
A: You can use a Plaguespreader Zombie that was Special Summoned by its own effect as an Exceed Material. If you do, it's no longer treated as a monster, so it's not Removed from Play when it leaves the Field. Furthermore, once the Exceed Monster leaves the Field, Plaguespreader Zombie is sent to the Graveyard.

Q: While you control an Exceed Monster with Exceed Materials, the opponent activates Secret Barrel. Are the Exceed Material Monsters counted for the total of Cards in your Hand and on the Field?
A: While you control an Exceed Monster with Exceed Materials, the Exceed Materials are not counted towards the total of Cards in your Hand and Field.

Q: If Macro Cosmos or Banisher of the Radiance are face-up on the Field, when the Exceed Monster leaves the Field, are the Exceed Material Monsters Removed from Play?
A: If Macro Cosmos or Banisher of the Radiance are face-up on the Field, when the Exceed Monster leaves the Field, the Exceed Material Monster are Removed from Play. Furthermore, if only Dimensional Fissure is active, when the Exceed Monster leaves the Field, the Exceed Material Monsters are sent to the Graveyard.

Q: Can you use Cards like Embodiment of Apophis and Skull Zoma as Exceed Materials?
A: Yes, you can use a copy of Embodiment of Apophis that is currently being treated as a monster as an Exceed Material Monster.

Q: If Sangan is being treated as an Exceed Material, and it's sent to the Graveyard, does its effect activate?
A: Exceed Material Monsters are not considered to be Cards on the Field. Therefore, its effect that requries to "be sent from the Field to the Graveyard" to search for a monster doesn't activate.

Q: If Dandylion is being treated as an Exceed Material, and it's sent to the Graveyard, does its effect activate?
A: Exceed Material Monsters are not considered to be Cards on the Field, but Dandylion's effect is activated "when it's sent to the Graveyard". Therefore, its effect to Special Summon Fluff Tokens does activate

Q: If an Exceed Monster is flipped face-down with Book of Moon, are the Exceed Materials flipped face-down as well, or are they sent to the Graveyard?
A: If an Exceed Monster is flipped face-down as a result of Book of Moon or similar, the Exceed Materials remain vertical and face-up. Furthermore, the Exceed Materials cannot exist face-down.

Q: If Skill Drain is active, can you Summon an Exceed Monster?
A: While Skill Drain is active, it's possible to Summon an Exceed Monster. The Exceed Monster will have its effects negated, but you still place the Exceed Materials under it.

Q: If you Remove an Exceed Monster from Play with the effect of Interdimensional Matter Transporter, are the Exceed Material Monsters also Removed from Play?
A: When the Exceed Monster is Removed from Play, the Exceed Material Monsters don't remain on the Field and are sent to the Graveyard.

Q: If an Exceed Material Monster is returned to the Extra Deck by the effect of Compulsory Evacuation Device, do the Exceed Material Monsters also return to the Hand?
A: While the Exceed Monster returns to the Extra Deck, the Exceed Material Monsters are sent to the Graveyard without returning to the Hand.

Q: If you take control of an Exceed Monster using Mind Control or Enemy Controller, are the Exceed Material Monsters moved to the opposite side of the Field as well, or do they remain where they are?
A: If an Exceed Monster is targeted by an effect like Mind Control, since the Exceed Materials are under/stacked the Exceed Monster, they switch Fields as well.

Q: If Blasting Fuse is activated, destroying the column of Cards in which an Exceed Monster is located, the Exceed monster is destroyed, but are the Exceed Material Monsters treated as "destroyed" too?
A: When the Exceed Monster is destroyed by Blasting Fuse's effect, the Exceed Material Monsters are not considered to be "destroyed". Furthermore, since the Exceed Monster was destroyed, the Exceed Material Monsters are sent to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

This thread's purpose is to discuss the Exceed Summoning mechanic, what kind of impact you think it will have on the meta and how you personally feel about this new mechanic.

[center][u][b]Currently Known Exceed Monsters[/b][/u]
[b]RANK 5:[/b]
[url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Protector_of_the_Founders,_Tyrus]Protector of the Founders, Tyrus[/url]
[b]RANK 4:[/b]
[url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/No._39_Aspiring_Emperor_Hope]No.39 Aspiring Emperor Hope[/url]
[url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Vylon_Disigma]Vylon Disigma[/url]
[url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mainspring_Armored_Zenmeister]Mainspring Armored Zenmeister[/url]
[url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Evigishki_Merrowgeist]Evigishki Merrowgeist[/url]
*Inverz Exceed*
*Gem-Knight Pearl*
[b]RANK 3:[/b]
[url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/No._17_Revise_Dragon]No.17 Revise Dragon[/url]
[url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gurensaurus]Gurrensaurus[/url]
[url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Aero_Shark]Aero Shark[/url]
[url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Lavalval_Ignis]Lavalval Ignis[/url]
[url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Lavalval_Ignis]Lavalball Ignis[/url]
[b]RANK 2:[/b]
[url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gachigachi_Gantetsu]Gachigachi Gantetsu[/url]
[b]Unknown RANK:[/b]
*Gusta Exceed* (I suspect it to be 3 for some reason.)
[/center]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Xaioxaio' timestamp='1299288499' post='5051480']
Plague would be removed, since its hitting the graveyard after its effect was used.
[/quote]
Yes, when it's [I]removed from the field[/I] it get's removed from play. If it counts as being on the field and gets removed from play because of it, wouldn't Sangan get it's effect it it's used as an Exceed Cost? Since it's being sent from the field to the Graveyard?

Yes it would, since neither effect is optional. It doesn't matter if its a cost to remove Plague from he field or to send Sangan to the graveyard since neither effect is an optional effect anyway.

Edit:Ignore what I said. No they wont. They aren't treated as being sent to tthe graveyard, so Plague shouldn't be removed.

Yeah, I know the Sangan ruling but that ruling makes me think of Plaguespreader and the like. Would they be removed from play the exact moment they are used as Exceed Material?

Also, I like this new mechanic a lot actually and to me it doesn't seem as though these guys will be all too broken, although Disigma is pushing it. So far they seem to be mid boss level monsters rather than true bosses (Disigma is, again, an exception). I really look forward so seeing more of them.

On another note, I'm voting for Lavalval Ignis for best Exceed Art so far even though I hate FIRE.

[quote name='TheTurtleOnceCalledGod' timestamp='1299290038' post='5051538']
<-- See my avatar

Exceeds will change the game (you just lost it) forever. Too bad it will be a really long time until we get them in TCG.
[/quote]

doesn't the 2011 starter deck release in may 31st? it should have exceed monsters since it is branded as a Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal product?

[quote name='demonelfxx' timestamp='1299290450' post='5051555']
doesn't the 2011 starter deck release in may 31st? it should have exceed monsters since it is branded as a Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal product?
[/quote]
Yes, it has 3 Exceed monsters in it. Frozen-Solid Gantetsu, Gurrensaurus and Numbers 39 Aspiring King Hope. Ranks 2, 3 and 4 respectively. Exceeds aren't that far off. Konami even hinted at there being Exceed support in Extreme Victory.

I also like Exceeds because of the unpredictability they create along with Synchros. When I have a level 4 Spore and a Skull Meister on my field, the opponent has no clue what I'm about to do next. one of the best feelings in Yugioh is knowing you have options.

SD 2011 will have Exceeds, and if there are none in Extreme Victory, there will be in the next pack because Konami announced during it's 2ND quarter product review (which was announced last week or so.) that Extreme Victory will be the official last pack of 5Ds oriented cards. The next pack will be Zexal oriented.

As for the main topic at hand: I think Exceeds could be a good thing if they have decent rulings and have a slightly better mechanic than synchros.

I kind of like the idea, but as for the whole Rank thing.... That puts me off alittle because of the fact that when the "Dark Synchros" were going to be printed they had to print them as regular synchros and wouldn't nerf their summoning in some way to allow for it (or they could have just gave us the nice card frame and detailing but have it be treated as a normal synchro) and it was justified by the fact of "Level one is the lowest Level of monster in the YGO game period and that would mean we would have to actually work to make a decent summoning mechanic or take the time to explain how to decently summon them following the original mechanic."

Now they have ranks. Why the heck didn't they just do that in the first place with the Dark Synchros?!?!

Come on Konami!!! Stop being lazy!!!!

[quote name='Zkaiser' timestamp='1299290993' post='5051566']
Yes, it has 3 Exceed monsters in it. Frozen-Solid Gantetsu, Gurrensaurus and Numbers 39 Aspiring King Hope. Ranks 2, 3 and 4 respectively. Exceeds aren't that far off. Konami even hinted at there being Exceed support in Extreme Victory.

I also like Exceeds because of the unpredictability they create along with Synchros. When I have a level 4 Spore and a Skull Meister on my field, the opponent has no clue what I'm about to do next. one of the best feelings in Yugioh is knowing you have options.
[/quote]

I feel like their "Exceed support" will be summoning monsters of the same level from hand or deck. If they actually specifically supported Exceeds, they'd be rather useless for three months.

I just want rulings on flipping facedown and tokens. pon hearing those, it will make me rethink some tech cards carefully.

Since many Tuners are actually runnable as monsters (Mist Valley Soldier), you can create a lot of options by getting rid of your unnecessary Synchros and replacing them with relevant Exceeds.

[quote name='Eibon1307' timestamp='1299295771' post='5051716']
One question that just came up for me would be, will we still get Synchros after Zexal comes out??? It would be nice if they continued it and didn't let it die out like Rituals have begun to.
[/quote]

We'll still probably get some from the 5D's manga.

I'm sure that we will see bunches of Synchros coming out in th future. I believe that now that 5D's has ended Konami can now make Synchros that are free from the any character or plotline.

I seriously think Konami needs to give a big boost to all of their colored cards. Rituals, Fusions, Synchros and Exceed. The Duel Terminal cards are helping but we need to see some non HERO fusions be relavent to the Meta and some Rituals that aren't Demise.

I agree with you guys.

I liked the duel terminal idea, but if you live in an area where one isn't available its kind of crappy. The closest Duel Terminal to me is like an hour and a half north of me and its like one of two of them in my state. the other is 4 hours south of me at the very bottom of the state...

I hope that konami will just give new and better support for the existing cards and stop only supporting the more popular ones... But thatll probably not happen...

As for Exceeds, I hope they have decent support and will allow for a balance between them, fusions and Synchros.

...They only support popular ones? Six Sams were pretty dead before they gave them a boost, Gravekeepers got new cards, and they've just released a flogging Structure Deck for Sanctuary in the Sky. If you mean the new concepts like Synchro/Exceed being supported over Fusions, then remember that the relatively new Rituals are some of the most playable yet, and that the new generic Heros and Synchro-Fusions are among the more playable of Fusions. I really don't see your argument.

Archetypes typically do not support the whole, they support a single line of cards. Gishki, Vylons, and E-Heroes are all nice for the types of things they support, but there exists little within their ranks that supports anything but their own Archetype in a meaningful way.

Generic rituals have Demise, Herald, and Relinquished pretty much. That's really about it. Fusion have FGD, CED, Chimeratech, Cyber Twin, and a few others. And the main reason these are usable is because they have cards that support their specific Type, or because they can OTK. But even if you say the list is enough, it still pales in comparison to the powerful support other cards have been getting.

Eh, Ganondorf and Northwemko or whatever they're called aren't 'bad' - Glads Fuse, Worms can go for Fusion, Synchro Fusions are somewhat unterrible. Syncho Summoning requires less Deck dedication and is more available to a larger amount of Decks - as is Exceed Summoning. It's only sensible they get more support.

Archived