[MTG] Q&A

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='shadowferret' timestamp='1318308768' post='5573760']
With Planeswalkers, can I use an ability if I don't have that many Loyalty Counters? I'm wondering if it's possible to use Garruk Relentless' ultimate ability (the back side one) without the help of another card.
[/quote]
No. If you want to use a -3 ability you need 3 loyalty counters on the PW.

• 1 month later...

The last effect of the [url="http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Hand%20of%20the%20Praetors&partner=POJO"]Hand of the Praetors[/url] which "Adds a Poison Counter" when an Infect Spell is played, is the "Adds a Poison Counter" part still considered damage that could be blocked by [url="http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Circle%20of%20Protection:%20Black&partner=POJO"]Circle of Protection: Black[/url], or is it simply a Counter and NOT damage, meaning it cannot stop it?

[quote name='darkwolf777' timestamp='1321489643' post='5647339']
The last effect of the [url="http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Hand%20of%20the%20Praetors&partner=POJO"]Hand of the Praetors[/url] which "Adds a Poison Counter" when an Infect Spell is played, is the "Adds a Poison Counter" part still considered damage that could be blocked by [url="http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/magic_single_card.asp?cn=Circle%20of%20Protection:%20Black&partner=POJO"]Circle of Protection: Black[/url], or is it simply a Counter and NOT damage, meaning it cannot stop it?
[/quote]

Pretty sure poison counters do not count as a form of damage.

[quote name='darkwolf777' timestamp='1321489643' post='5647339']
[/quote]

Not it is not a poison counter product of an infect ability...think about it like a poision Counter you get like...by proliferating...so No CIrcle can't prevent it...

[quote name='King of Nothing' timestamp='1321761682' post='5654355']
If I have a Platinum Angel and a Fangreen Marauder on the field with 0 life, and my opponent destroys platinum angel, do I instantly lose or gain 5 life from Fangreen Marauder's effect?
[/quote]

You lose. Before Fangreen Marauder's effect can resolve, state-based effects cause you to lose.

[quote name='King of Nothing' timestamp='1321768911' post='5654492']
Figures, thanks lol. But what if a card like Glissa's Scorn causes you to go to 0 by destroying an artifact while you have fangreen? Do you still lose?
[/quote]

How about I explain it like this:

Every time a player would gain priority, state-based effects are checked. If any state-based conditions are met. The state-based effects happen, and then another group of state-based effects happen until no more state-based effects happen, and then a player gets priority.

One such state-based effect is "You lose if you have 0 or less life." Fangren's ability goes on the stack and a player would start to get priority. Since your life total is 0, you lose before Fangren resolves.

EDIT: Two other notes:
• State-based effects aren't checked until after a card fully resolves, since it only checks when a player would get priority. This doesn't matter in this case, but it's good to know for some tricky card interactions.
• Trigger effects look for their entire trigger event at all points of the game, but won't go onto the stack until what is currently resolving is done resolving. As such, Glissa's Scorn would destroy your artifact and make you lose your last life before Fangren is able to save you.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Tsukasa Hiiragi' timestamp='1333955069' post='5907346']
Where would I find a list of current legal sets so I know my current deck isn't a jumble of illegal cards?
[/quote]

As the current day this are the legal sets (In Standard)

Scars of Mirrodin
Mirrodin Besieged
New Phyrexia
M12
Innistrad
Dark Ascencion

At the end of the Month list will include:
Avacyn Restored

If you wanna play another format...
Modern legal cards count from 8th Edition onwards
Legacy...everything...XD

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Black Fang' timestamp='1334967052' post='5920414']
Question: When a monster returns to the battlefield via Undying, does Summon Sickness re-apply?
[/quote]

Yep. As it enters for a separate creature, kinda, summoning sickness does apply.

[quote name='Black Fang' timestamp='1334967052' post='5920414']
Question: When a monster returns to the battlefield via Undying, does Summon Sickness re-apply?
[/quote]

Yes...a creature re entering the battlefield via Undying have hitted the Graveyard so when it gets back the game state recognizes it as a totally new creature...therefore it has summoning sickness

[quote name='-Lightray Daedalus-' timestamp='1334967517' post='5920432']
Yes...a creature re entering the battlefield via Undying have hitted the Graveyard so when it gets back the game state recognizes it as a totally new creature...therefore it has summoning sickness
[/quote]

Thanks. One other question.

If i control Champion of the Parish and i play Gather the Townsfolk to generation tokens. Does he get 1/1 for each or only one?

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Black Scar' timestamp='1350153320' post='6043625']
Player A Controls Sigil of the Empty Throne.
Player A Casts Parralel Lives
Does Player A get two Angel Tokens or only one?
[/quote]

Only one. From Sigil's rulings:

[quote]2/1/2009: The triggered ability will resolve before the enchantment spell that caused it to trigger.[/quote]

Parallel Lives must be on the battlefield for it to apply, and while it's being cast, it's not technically on the battlefield.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jester Head' timestamp='1350857379' post='6050117']
Hey peoples.

My opponent attacks, and I designate blockers...after I'm done he plays a spell to exile one of my blocking creatures. Can I select a new blocker, or will the damage automatically go through?
[/quote]

Neither.

• Once the Declare Blockers Step is over, the blocks are finalized. You will not be able to declare any more blockers that combat.

• When blockers are declared, any creatures that are blocked by a creature are considered "blocked". During the combat damage steps, a blocked creature can only assign damage to the blockers, and if there are none, then that blocked creature doesn't assign damage.
The exception to this rule, however, are creatures with trample; since they can assign their extra damage to defending player or planeswalker, they can assign 0 damage to their non-existent blockers and the rest to your or your planeswalkers' face.

[quote name='Jester Head' timestamp='1350857379' post='6050117']
Hey peoples.

My opponent attacks, and I designate blockers...after I'm done he plays a spell to exile one of my blocking creatures. Can I select a new blocker, or will the damage automatically go through?
[/quote]
Neither happen. After you have the creature blocking, unless it has trample, you take 0 damage from it. This is because the creature is already treated as having been blocked. Also, if you do this to a creature with Lifelink they gain no life they gain no life since they the creature deal no damage (again, unless it has trample).

Archived