• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

The one constant on YCM

• Super Moderators
  • 23,272 posts
Thought is the yugioh section has one, why not give one to the MTG one

Anyway, lets start this of with some questions.

I was watching someone use a Kuldotha Forgemaster deck and when they Forgemaster would be targeted by removal, like Oust, they wouldn't use it's effect? I don't get why they wouldn't since I've always thought you could tap your guy during your opponent's turn should they point removal at it. And to double check: I go first and play Llanowar Elves. If opponent goes to Lightning Bolts my Llanowar Elves, could I tap it to giant growth it and save it?

Other question is a little odd since it has to do with multiplayer. If player A attacks player B could player C block for B?

Edited by Flame Dragon, 13 June 2011 - 11:25 PM.

If anyone is willing to trade me a HA Cranidos, HA Snover, HA Burmy and/or Shaymin in Gen 6 I'd be your best friend forever.

FC: 0989-1906-1912

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Dementuo

Dementuo

Best Draggin

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,282 posts
  • Spouse:Saffira
No, to the second question.
I could be wrong.

-Lightray Daedalus-

-Lightray Daedalus-

Deal with me like if I was a Demon!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,434 posts
Question A: It all depends if Forgemaster or Llanowar Elf has been through the whole Summoning Sickness period.
A creature that you Summon is afected by Summoning sickness Until your Next Upkeep after the creature entered to the battlefield.
Example: You go turn 1 a Summon Llanowar Elf. Next during your opponent's Main Phase he uses Shock on it...Llanowar Elf cannot activate its effect since it is still affected by Summoning Sickness. But now...If your opponent waits till it is your turn and try to Shock it during your Next upkeep, the Summoning Sickness is already gone so you can Tap Llanowar Elf and Use the Giant Growth as you wished.

Note:Summoning Sickness only affects abilities that requires the Creature to be tapped. abilities with different costs such as Basking Rootwalla's Self Pumping effect can be used ever since the creature properly enters the battlefield.

Question B: It depends...if all of A,B and C players are going on each other(each one has its individual LP etc)...no he can't...althought he can cast Spells like for example..Wing Shards...if he thinks it is necesary to make you not attack his other rival. In Twin Headed Giant I believe both players chooses which creatures block what
My Written MTG Set:

Posted Image

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

The one constant on YCM

• Super Moderators
  • 23,272 posts

Question A: It all depends if Forgemaster or Llanowar Elf has been through the whole Summoning Sickness period.
A creature that you Summon is afected by Summoning sickness Until your Next Upkeep after the creature entered to the battlefield.
Example: You go turn 1 a Summon Llanowar Elf. Next during your opponent's Main Phase he uses Shock on it...Llanowar Elf cannot activate its effect since it is still affected by Summoning Sickness. But now...If your opponent waits till it is your turn and try to Shock it during your Next upkeep, the Summoning Sickness is already gone so you can Tap Llanowar Elf and Use the Giant Growth as you wished.

Note:Summoning Sickness only affects abilities that requires the Creature to be tapped. abilities with different costs such as Basking Rootwalla's Self Pumping effect can be used ever since the creature properly enters the battlefield.

Question B: It depends...if all of A,B and C players are going on each other(each one has its individual LP etc)...no he can't...althought he can cast Spells like for example..Wing Shards...if he thinks it is necesary to make you not attack his other rival. In Twin Headed Giant I believe both players chooses which creatures block what

Ok thanks. For the longest time I thought summoning sickness applied only for the turn they are played. Yay for less illegal plays.

And thanks again. I thought as much, but my one friend said they could so I thought, lets get some more opinions.
If anyone is willing to trade me a HA Cranidos, HA Snover, HA Burmy and/or Shaymin in Gen 6 I'd be your best friend forever.

Posted ImagePosted Image

.Nu-13

.Nu-13

Koma <3

• Banned
  • 18,788 posts
I keep bringing out Artifact Creatures with Prototype Portal. Can I use the effect of Riddlesmith each time a token from Portal comes to field?

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

The one constant on YCM

• Super Moderators
  • 23,272 posts
I'm going with no. the Smith cycle only works when you cast the card and since Prototype Portal only puts it into play, not casting it, Riddlesmith wouldn't trigger.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Mysty

Mysty

Duelist of Mysterious Strategies

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
My opponent used Tezzeret's ability (both Tezzerets have an ability that turns artifacts into 5/5 creatures) to turn Phyrexian Revoker into a 5/5. He then casts Phyrexian Metamorph. He has it enter the battlefield has Revoker. Is that Metamorph-Revoker a 5/5 as well, or is it just its regular size?

Similarly, I use Koth to stand up a Mountain into a 4/4 creature. If I cast Phyrexian Metamorph on the mountain, do I get a 4/4 Mountain artifact creature, a 4/4 Mountain artifact creature that loses its creature4/4-ness at the end of the turn, or do I just get an artifact mountain?
What kind of Magic am I?

-Lightray Daedalus-

-Lightray Daedalus-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,434 posts
I'm gessing this is what Mystery Guest is looking for

Clone doesn't copy whether the original creature is tapped or untapped. It also doesn't copy any counters on that creature, any Auras attached to that creature, or any effects that are currently affecting that creature -- you get exactly what's printed on the chosen card and nothing more. So if you copy an animated Chimeric Staff, for example, you get a normal, nonanimated Chimeric Staff.

So in the first case you get a regular 2/1 Phyrexian Revoker

And in the second case you get an Artifact Land - Mountain...Losing Creature Status
My Written MTG Set:

Posted Image

Mysty

Mysty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

So in the first case you get a regular 2/1 Phyrexian Revoker

And in the second case you get an Artifact Land - Mountain...Losing Creature Status

Thank you! The morons at the card store I go to for casual play said otherwise. I feel like I know the rules of the game better than the store owner, but I don't have a judge's ranking to prove it.
What kind of Magic am I?

King of Nothing

King of Nothing

The Critical Error

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
So, I'm a bit new to drafting. I do that MTG draft of the week thing sometimes but never really post the results. I want to learn a bit more before I do. I have a question and a task O.O

Question: What's the most mana you want in a card for a deck, when making a 40-card draft deck?

Task: Put these in order from most to least important in a draft (Meaning, first pack, have no idea what you want to build, what would you look for)

Power
Toughness
Life gaining
Life losing (for opponent)
Cost
Destruction
Mana Gaining
Flying
Trample
Counter
Exile
Artifact

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

The one constant on YCM

• Super Moderators
  • 23,272 posts
When your building a 40 card deck normally 16-17 mana is enough.

As for what to take, that really comes down to what ever you think is the best card in the pack. Normally this will be the uncommon or rare. If you want a rules of thumb, I guess removal is always something you can pick highly.

Posted ImagePosted Image

King of Nothing

King of Nothing

The Critical Error

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

When your building a 40 card deck normally 16-17 mana is enough.

As for what to take, that really comes down to what ever you think is the best card in the pack. Normally this will be the uncommon or rare. If you want a rules of thumb, I guess removal is always something you can pick highly.

Well, this whole time I always tried to go with an aggro flying deck when I pick. Is flying rated that highly on drafts?

-Lightray Daedalus-

-Lightray Daedalus-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,434 posts

Well, this whole time I always tried to go with an aggro flying deck when I pick. Is flying rated that highly on drafts?

Yes creatures with some sort of evasion are the best for that kind of decks
My Written MTG Set:

Posted Image

~NOiSE~

~NOiSE~

Whacked out

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
Posted Image

Card text: Look at the top seven cards of your library. You may put one of those cards onto the battlefield if it has the same name as a permanent. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

This card confuses me a little. You can put one of the seven cards on the battlefield if it has the same name as a permanent...what permanent?

-Lightray Daedalus-

-Lightray Daedalus-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,434 posts

Posted Image

Card text: Look at the top seven cards of your library. You may put one of those cards onto the battlefield if it has the same name as a permanent. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

This card confuses me a little. You can put one of the seven cards on the battlefield if it has the same name as a permanent...what permanent?

Any permanent present on the field at the activation of the card, your or your opponent's thing is that this card doesn't target any particular permanent which may make the text confussing.
My Written MTG Set:

Posted Image

~NOiSE~

~NOiSE~

Whacked out

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Any permanent present on the field at the activation of the card, your or your opponent's thing is that this card doesn't target any particular permanent which may make the text confussing.

That's what I figured, but yea, the text isn't really clear on that. You'd think they just add in "on the battlefield" or something...

Anyway, thanks much.

King of Nothing

King of Nothing

The Critical Error

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

That's what I figured, but yea, the text isn't really clear on that. You'd think they just add in "on the battlefield" or something...

Anyway, thanks much.

Yeah, when I first read it I thought it meant that the card itself had to be a permanent. They really should add "on the battlefield" if that card ever gets a reprint...which I'm sure it will in 2013

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

The one constant on YCM

• Super Moderators
  • 23,272 posts
So I have a couple more questions. I recently learned of the block/sac trick so I'm now trying to figure out how else this can be used. So if I have a creature with a tap ability block then I tap it does the creature still battle? I'm assuming it would, but I just want to double check.

Edited by Flame Dragon, 18 June 2011 - 02:11 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Mysty

Mysty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

So I have a couple more questions. I recently learned of the block/sac trick so I'm now trying to figure out how else this can be used. So if I have a creature with a tap ability block then I tap it does the creature steal battle? I'm assuming it would, but I just want to double check.

I don't know what you mean by "steal" battle. By here's what I can tell you:

Right after blocking, there is a short time to cast instants and use abilities. During this time, since a blocking creature has already declared its block, so you can now tap it to activate its ability and it will still battle. Due note that you can't use a Tap ability unless the creature isn't summoning-sick (or has haste).

As for the block/sac trick, here's what that means: when you declare a blocker onto a creature, that blocked creature is considered blocked that combat. That means, even if the creatures blocking it disappear, it can still only deal damage to the creatures blocking it. (Due note that creatures with trample will bypass this technicality and will assign its damage to you sinxce the blockers' total toughness is now 0.)
What kind of Magic am I?

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

The one constant on YCM

• Super Moderators
  • 23,272 posts

I don't know what you mean by "steal" battle. By here's what I can tell you:

Right after blocking, there is a short time to cast instants and use abilities. During this time, since a blocking creature has already declared its block, so you can now tap it to activate its ability and it will still battle. Due note that you can't use a Tap ability unless the creature isn't summoning-sick (or has haste).

As for the block/sac trick, here's what that means: when you declare a blocker onto a creature, that blocked creature is considered blocked that combat. That means, even if the creatures blocking it disappear, it can still only deal damage to the creatures blocking it. (Due note that creatures with trample will bypass this technicality and will assign its damage to you sinxce the blockers' total toughness is now 0.)

I meant still. Don't know what happened there.

Either way you answered my question. Thanks.

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users