[MTG] Q&A

[quote name='The blazing MARS' timestamp='1309533657' post='5325030']
Ah, I get it. I guess you can add or Take away 1 Loyalty counter a turn?
[/quote]

The Amounts of Loyalty's won/loss depends of the numbers written on the card...

For example:
and Ability that has a +1 written on it will add a single Loyalty counter.
and Ability that has a +3 written on it will add 3 Loyalty counters.
and Ability that has a +0 written on it will not add or susbtract Loyalty counters.
and Ability that has a -1 written on it will substract a single Loyalty counter.
and Ability that has a -6 written on it will substract 6 Loyalty counters.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='The blazing MARS' timestamp='1309612827' post='5327828']
Another Question:

Does the second effect Of Vengful Pharoh "Send it back to the top of the deck to destroy attacking creature" stop my Opponent's Attack? Or does the attack go through, THEN Pharoh destroys it?
[/quote]

It says "if the creature [b]deals combat damage[/b] to you or a planeswalker you control", meaning the attack goes through.

[quote name='Mystery Guest' timestamp='1309616669' post='5327917']
It says "if the creature [b]deals combat damage[/b] to you or a planeswalker you control", meaning the attack goes through.
[/quote]

-.-

VengfulPharohTrollloop.dek won't work as well as I thought it would, then. But It should still work.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='ArchmageCarn' timestamp='1310344371' post='5344152']
Absolutely. They are the two best aggro colors, and have some beast support in M12, the set coming out Friday.
[/quote]

Blue is the colour of M12.
Right now, I plan to make some strange Djinn of wishes deck, revolving around playing big stuff for no cost

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting mixed answers, so lets ask here.

If my 2/x Deathtouch/Trample is blocked by a 3/3 can I assign 1 damage to the blocker (since Deathtouch makes it lethal) and have the other point of damage go to the opponent?

Also, speaking of Trample, if my Indestructible 3/3 blocks a 5/5 trample based on what I read I'd take 2, is this right?

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1312005965' post='5400504']
I'm getting mixed answers, so lets ask here.

If my 2/x Deathtouch/Trample is blocked by a 3/3 can I assign 1 damage to the blocker (since Deathtouch makes it lethal) and have the other point of damage go to the opponent?

Also, speaking of Trample, if my Indestructible 3/3 blocks a 5/5 trample based on what I read I'd take 2, is this right?
[/quote]

Yes. Deathtouch reads "Any nonzero damage this deals is lethal damage." Trample reads "If you have assigned lethal damage to all blockers, you can assign the rest to the player." They work in conjunction.

Trample only cares that you would assign enough damage to wipe out the creature, ignoring prevention, protection, and indestructibility. If your trampler get blocked by an indestructible creature, you can assign lethal damage to the indestructible creature and then hit the player for the rest.

Both the situations you describe are true.

I control Phyrexian Obliterator enchanted with Lure and Infiltration Lens. My opponent controls 4 random creatures whose total power adds to 20. I attack with Obliterator. Lure causes all 4 creatures to block Obliterator. I draw 8 cards, and after Obliterator dies, opponent sacrifices 20 permanents. Is that correct?

Also, I'm kinda confused with Obliterator's Trample in here. Which of the 4 blockers will Obliterator destroy, assuming they all have, let's say 4 toughness for the sake of argument

[quote name='Noel Vermillion' timestamp='1312021112' post='5400720']
I control Phyrexian Obliterator enchanted with Lure and Infiltration Lens. My opponent controls 4 random creatures whose total power adds to 20. I attack with Obliterator. Lure causes all 4 creatures to block Obliterator. I draw 8 cards, and after Obliterator dies, opponent sacrifices 20 permanents. Is that correct?

Also, I'm kinda confused with Obliterator's Trample in here. Which of the 4 blockers will Obliterator destroy, assuming they all have, let's say 4 toughness for the sake of argument
[/quote]

For the sake of argument, let's say your opponent has five 4/4s. They all block Obliterator.

When a creature will battle with multiple other creatures, you have to assign a 'damage assignment order'. In other words, you would designate one of the creatures as 'first to be assigned damage', the next one as 'second to be assigned damage', yada yada yada. In order to assign damage to any of the creatures, you first have to assign lethal damage to every creature previous in the order. (Note: "Lethal damage" means how much damage it needs to be destroyed, ignoring indestructibility, prevention, and replacement effects. This usually means the creature's toughness minus how much damage it already has on it.) Example: in order to hit the third in line, you have to assign lethal damage to the first and second in line. Remember that you order the creatures, so plan carefully about which creatures you want to kill.

Now, since Obliterator was "blocked by a creature" four times, you draw 8 cards with the Infiltration Lens.

Now. after all combat tricks are done (if any), it's time to assign damage. Obliterator has to assign 4 damage to the front in line. He can assign his last damage to either the first or second in line. Even if the first creature was given a prevention effect or indestructibility, Obliterator still only has to assign 4 damage to it (but you can assign more than lethal, if you really want to). All the 4/4s have to assign their damage to Obliterator. Obliterator kills the first blocker and probably not the second, Obliterator dies, and your opponent has to sacrifice 20 permanents, meaning he lost 21 permanents this combat (remember that the first creature died, so he can't sacrifice it for Obliterator).

Had he only provided one blocker with 4 toughness, you could have assigned that last point of damage to the opponent.

Yes...But Mana wores off between Phases so you have to use it before changing to a new Phase.

106.4. When an effect produces mana, that mana goes into a player’s mana pool. From there, it can be
used to pay costs immediately, or it can stay in the player’s mana pool. Each player’s mana pool
empties at the end of each step and phase.

[quote name='Noel Vermillion' timestamp='1312331358' post='5408966']
Can I tap a land for mana without spending it the same moment I tap it? As in, simply add it to mana pool and let it be there until I feel like spending it?
[/quote]
Yes. Mana stays in the pool until it's used or until end of turn.

Archived