[MTG] Q&A

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When I tap Brain in a Jar for its effect, do I have to place or remove the Charge Counter from itself or can I place/remove a Charge Counter on a different Brain in a Jar I control?

Does it say "another?" No.

You have to add or remove counters from the Brain in question to activate its abilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Do changelings remain in changeling form when they get eternalized by the scarab god or one of the other two?

The changeling status is an ability on them, but I want to know for my commander decks in case I need to eternalize a changeling, and gatherer rulings didn't cover this interaction anywhere that I could see

Do changelings remain in changeling form when they get eternalized by the scarab god or one of the other two?

The changeling status is an ability on them, but I want to know for my commander decks in case I need to eternalize a changeling, and gatherer rulings didn't cover this interaction anywhere that I could see

They are only zombies.

Changeling is a characteristic-defining keyword ability, so when said characteristics are changed (such as The Scarab God making a token that is merely a zombie) the effects of changeling are overwritten.

From a rules perspective, consider a card with changeling to have every creature type listed in its type bar, rather than as an ability.

They are only zombies.

Changeling is a characteristic-defining keyword ability, so when said characteristics are changed (such as The Scarab God making a token that is merely a zombie) the effects of changeling are overwritten.

From a rules perspective, consider a card with changeling to have every creature type listed in its type bar, rather than as an ability.

Okay, that's why I was asking, I was unclear on how that works. At least Mirror Entity, my favorite changeling, can overwrite the Eternalized condition with the ability to make everything turn into changelings

Okay, that's why I was asking, I was unclear on how that works. At least Mirror Entity, my favorite changeling, can overwrite the Eternalized condition with the ability to make everything turn into changelings

Keep in mind that the scarab god is not actually the same as eternalize. Since Eternalize is a keyword ability, it can be referenced in rules text (though to my knowledge it has not been) and, more importantly, creatures with Eternalize maintain their creature types, as well as gaining the subtype zombie.

MTG wiki gave me this

The rules that govern the interaction of continuous effects state that type-changing effects are applied before effects that add or remove abilities. This causes some unusual things to happen.

-If an effect causes a creature with changeling to lose all creature types, the creature won't lose changeling—but it will lose all its creature types.

-If an effect causes a creature with changeling to become a new creature type or types, the creature won't lose changeling—but it won't have all creature types anymore. It will be just the new creature type(s).

-If a card loses the changeling ability, it will still have all creature types. It just won't have changeling.

Relevant one is bold. My best guess is that this is a result of this

"Some static abilities are characteristic-defining abilities. A characteristic-defining ability conveys information about an object’s characteristics that would normally be found elsewhere on that object (such as in its mana cost, type line, or power/toughness box) or overrides information found elsewhere on that object."

Changeling overwrites the type line, which then gets overwritten by the not-Eternalize cards. The ability doesn't keep doing it so once it's overwritten it remains that way.

Ninjaed by a lot. O well.

Keep in mind that the scarab god is not actually the same as eternalize. Since Eternalize is a keyword ability, it can be referenced in rules text (though to my knowledge it has not been) and, more importantly, creatures with Eternalize maintain their creature types, as well as gaining the subtype zombie.

Vizier of the Eternal references the activation of eternalize abilities, so there is a discrete example in current rules text.

I'm aware of this, I was referring to the pseudo eternalize abilities since they would be the only ones that could alter the changelings, and the pseudo eternalize cards don't keep the card's previous types.

Archived