YCM Creative Writing Forum Rules

bury the year

[b][u][quote]SHIPPING[/u][/b]
Also known as "the romantic pairing of canon characters with other canons or OCs." If you plan on shipping canons at all, please put a warning somewhere in your title: it isn't all members' cup of tea. OC-only romance needs no warning, though.[/quote]

So obviously, this constitutes the little things, like hand-holding, kissing on cheeks, etc. and some of the bigger things. Okay, I can understand that. Doesn't really concern me, since my Fan-Fic is non-canon, and who writes Romance stories anymore? Let's be honest...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1315175013' post='5492411']
That's kind of a weird rule...

I mean, I dislike plenty of genres, but why is romance being singled out? Why not a warning for all genres, like horror or review or fantasy or warn by certain fandoms or something?
[/quote]

Because on other sites at least, shipping is a [b]Big Deal[/b] and shipping wars have started over pairings that people don't like. People don't flame over a genre. It's pretty much a non-issue on here, but I'd rather play things safe.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is this in referral to the year-old thread? Mmm, I'll add something.

[b]EDIT:[/b] Seeing as it's pointless to make a new thread for already-posted content, I'm from here on out allowing necro-bumping with a few stipulations. Please read the first post under "Bumping" for terms and conditions. ;3

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Kyubey' timestamp='1310346852' post='5344239']
[b][u]BUMPING[/u][/b]
Unlike in other forums, bumping is permitted from any period of time back (aka, necro-ing is allowed). However, only the thread's owner can bump it, and they must provide brand new chapters/content in that post. Otherwise, it will be locked and the offender warned.
[/quote]
That's kind of... peculiarly worded.

Example 1: Let's say I want my story to be organized. I put my entire story in the first post, so people don't have to hunt for the next part of the story. So, then I update my first post and bump it. Technically I haven't "provided brand new chapters/content in that post". Is a lock coming?

Second question! Bumping is permitted from any period, as long as you have new content. What if the period of time is incredibly short? Like, I post a story and then bump it because there's been a week and no one's read my story. Is that a necrobump? Does my story get locked now?

I'm just specifically asking because I do have a story here, and I have posted "bump!" or some derivative of it in my topic and I'd prefer not to get my story locked for some silly reason.

I would wait a few days to bump a thread. Mainly because nobody makes a reply or comment at the time. I would say the longest someone should take before they bump their thread again up a week at the most, but that's my opinion. And I know nobody would wait a whole week for replies, but some people are patient and like to test their own patience to see how long that person can go without seeing comments before they snap. But I would still recommend a weekly bumping period for either to keep the thread alive or to add new content. Again, just my opinion. Go with it if you wish, since I don't really mind.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is when it's "sufficient." If a strict amount is defined, then the two-page rule becomes pointless, and if it isn't, then I know I'm going to evoke cries of people getting away with less than others and it not being fair. Besides, if you've written one and a half pages already, can't you dip a bit further into the plot and add another half page? Shouldn't take too much effort.

In short, no.

On a similar-ish note, would it be okay if I made short chapters, but I made a lot of them? Like... a 1 page chapter, followed by another 1 page chapter later that day? And before you ask...

[quote]Besides, if you've written one and a half pages already, can't you dip a bit further into the plot and add another half page?[/quote]
No, because that would ruin the pacing of my story.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Rinne' timestamp='1310346852' post='5344239'][b][u]LENGTH[/u][/b]
All chapters must be at least 2 pages in MS Word with single spacing, standard margins, and size 11 Arial font. This applies to all fics, regardless of being serial or one-off. There are a few exceptions to this rule, though:
[i]Pro/Epilogues:[/i] Considering that these serve as teasers or to tie loose threads up, they are not required to be at this standard.
[i]Drabbles:[/i] A drabble is unofficially defined as “a quick piece of writing, often from a prompt, that is used to develop a specific scenario or character.” They are always one-shots: however, not all one-shots are drabbles.
[i][b]Poetry:[/i] Justification not needed.[/b][/quote]

So yes, you can do poetry. As for due dates, there are none. You are free to update your fanfics whenever you choose. Your readers will ask for when you'll update, but don't feel too pressured, because that just means you could end up rushing it. Take your time writing each chapter, and just post it when it's ready. There can be some exceptions, such as participating in a contest someone posts, but if it's a story you choose to start for the purpose of writing one, go ahead and start when you feel like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived