Harry Potter is awful and you suck for liking it.

Yes, Quiditch is an utterly stupid game.

Yes, Harry Potter is a dumbass.

Yes, the Story is a mess.

Even what you said about the female characters made sense, never noticed it actually.

But still, Harry Potter is a good book. Why? Because it sold over 500 million copies! It got people who never even touched a book before into reading! That doesn't make it's story or characters well conceived, but it makes the world a better place, because by God, more people should read books.

You, as someone who obviously reads a lot and thinks about the things you read, should be grateful that this book was written, not because of the content, but because it's just there. I think no other book had that much of an impact on the youth of today and their reading behaviours.

Just my 2 cents, your points are all still valid, it's just that you shouldn't hate the book for existing, it did something good :P

• Like 1

I've always had the opinion that Quidditch is REALLY stupid. Why would the Seeker even try to catch the Snitch if his team was behind with 150+ points?

And all of your other points are also valid. I'm disappointed at my self for never questioning the ending of the first book. Still, I love the books and they are the reason that I started reading books at all.

• Like 1

But still, Harry Potter is a good book. Why? Because it sold over 500 million copies!

That makes it a financially successful book. If we're measuring quality in terms of sales figures, Twilight is one of the best books ever.

It got people who never even touched a book before into reading! That doesn't make it's story or characters well conceived, but it makes the world a better place, because by God, more people should read books.

You, as someone who obviously reads a lot and thinks about the things you read, should be grateful that this book was written, not because of the content, but because it's just there. I think no other book had that much of an impact on the youth of today and their reading behaviours.

Just my 2 cents, your points are all still valid, it's just that you shouldn't hate the book for existing, it did something good :P

That makes it at best a useful book. As I said, I'm focusing on the negatives here because everyone else has already taken care of the positives, and I did enjoy the books as a kid. But the story still just isn't that good.

Why would the Seeker even try to catch the Snitch if his team was behind with 150+ points?

There really is no reason; they try to hand-wave it in the World Cup as Krum doing it because he thought the opponents' lead was insurmountable (even though it was small enough that any half-decent Chaser team could have gotten them within 140 of the opponents, which suggests that even Krum knew he was running a one-man team), but would you really want to surrender unnecessarily in the middle of the World Cup?

The sheer unlikelihood of this raises another question that I don't remember being addressed in the books: given how unlikely it is that a team would get the Snitch and still lose, why would Fred and George bet their entire life-savings on this outcome? I think I kind of assumed at the time that they had used Omnoculars on fast-forward to see the end of the match before it started, but I don't remember anything of the sort being implied, and that just opens up a million other questions about why this perfectly-accurate form of divination wouldn't be widely used in all aspects of life, especially by gamblers. Were Fred and George just really stupid and really lucky (read: helped by the author) with their bet?

Guest Cursed Reaction

I've always enjoyed the book but I agree that, at times, it's poorly thought out.

I applaud you on finding the faults in the book. Especially on Quidditch and Ron. I've never really understood why Ron was in the book. They could have easily placed in a slightly more useful male character.

Something else I forgot to mention regarding the female characters: with the exception of Hermione, the female second-in-command of each faction is never actually the second-most important member of that faction. McGonagall is supposed to be Dumbledore's right hand, but what does she actually do of importance compared to his other agents, especially Snape? Bellatrix Lestrange is supposed to be Voldemort's right hand, but she's never his most important minion in any one book; that honor has gone to Quirrell, Lucius Malfoy, Wormtail, Barty Crouch Jr., and Draco Malfoy, all of whom are male. Even when they do have an allegedly important role, they still take a backseat to the male characters.

I suppose that even though she's working for the Ministry instead of Voldemort, Dolores Umbridge is the main non-Voldemort antagonist of the fifth book, so maybe that counts for something? At least as Fudge's second-in-command she actually had as much impact on the story as that role would imply, though since I'm cynical, I'm going to guess that's because there was never time to give Fudge a third-in-command, so she pretty much took that position by default due to the total absence of competition.

Twilight doesn't need one of these because it's not super-loved like Harry Potter. It has an obsessive fanbase but an equally strong and obsessive hatedom already, and that hatedom has already documented its flaws far better than I ever could - especially since I have never read a single page of the series and only know what I know about it by listening to said hatedom. Harry Potter really doesn't have much of a hatedom, and what little it has isn't nearly as strong as Twilight's.

And I don't know Percy Jackson at all.

The problem with Ron is that he has no skills whatsoever. He doesn't have any useful abilities like Hermione's intelligence; he doesn't have any particularly strong personality traits like extreme loyalty or willpower that could come in handy; and he's not even adorkable, badass, or sexy like Rory from Doctor Who. His one function is to make Harry look good by comparison and to occasionally give some exposition about the wizarding world that Harry didn't grow up with.

It's particularly awkward because Rowling tries so hard in the Goblet of Fire to convince us that the Quaffle really does matter by having Ireland win even though Krum got the Snitch, but for Romania's Chaser/Keeper team to do so badly, there are really only three possibilities:

Oh, come one.

We have one good sports team (albeit fictional) and you think it's Romanian.

Oh, come one.

We have one good sports team (albeit fictional) and you think it's Romanian.

Yeah, I realized after I wrote this that Krum plays for Bulgaria, not Romania. I didn't bother changing it because I really couldn't care less about them (and I really don't think you want to be associated by a team that is so obviously awful that they can't win even with the Snitch's broken power).

The problem with Ron is that he has no skills whatsoever. He doesn't have any useful abilities like Hermione's intelligence; he doesn't have any particularly strong personality traits like extreme loyalty or willpower that could come in handy; and he's not even adorkable, badass, or sexy like Rory from Doctor Who. His one function is to make Harry look good by comparison and to occasionally give some exposition about the wizarding world that Harry didn't grow up with.

You forgot his chess playing skills :3

Yeah I have no other counters d:

Wow.

That was extremely well written and covers almost all the main flaws of the series. Despite that, the series is still good in my eyes, but it's not perfection. It's got its shares of flaws, weaknesses, never really noticed all the Deus Ex Machinas, but the ending of Deathly Hallows was anti-climax incarnate.

Actually, Deathly Hallows introduced so many damn new concepts that were barely, if ever, mentioned in previous books and SUDDENLY drive the entire plot resolution...it's just terrible. The whole wand ownership and the very concept of the Deathly Hallows themselves are ridiculously introduced.

Doesn't really change that the series is one of the most famous and popular and beloved series of the generation, but you speak the truth regarding the flaws. I can only expect that Rowling got better as a writer as she wrote the series, but the methods she took in some aspects were imperfect.