Cloud in Space

LC 

Honestly... it's not that great. It's messy and confused, and seems to have no real flow or idea behind it. It's Cloud in space. What sense does this make? What is the point? Is he fighting something, is he even doing something?

The color is also a problem. Cloud's palette doesn't mesh with that of the space shot, and as much as you seem to have tried to remedy that, it doesn't work. I'm not drawn to anything, and nothing looks like it fits. I would recommend, when you create tags, not only considering "Does this look cool?" I would ask "Does this make sense?". As odd as it seems, good design is more than looking cool, it has a point. This is pointless.

[quote name='Lemniscate' timestamp='1313720340' post='5454004']
Honestly... it's not that great. It's messy and confused, and seems to have no real flow or idea behind it. It's Cloud in space. What sense does this make? What is the point? Is he fighting something, is he even doing something?

The color is also a problem. Cloud's palette doesn't mesh with that of the space shot, and as much as you seem to have tried to remedy that, it doesn't work. I'm not drawn to anything, and nothing looks like it fits. I would recommend, when you create tags, not only considering "Does this look cool?" I would ask "Does this make sense?". As odd as it seems, good design is more than looking cool, it has a point. This is pointless.
[/quote]
Does it have to make sense...?

Yes. Good design has to make sense, and make a point. If you look at good design, it answers or considers a question, or solves a problem. Graphic design entices the person in, and when done well, makes the person think. Good design isn't about making things that look cool. If that is what you are trying to do, then please, for everyone's sake, stop. You don't understand the basics.

I recommend actually reading about design, and really considering what you want to do with it.

On a separate note though, not only does this sig not make a point, it doesn't look good. This is terrible. It lacks flow, it lacks a strong color palette, it lacks depth. The lighting if off, the entire composition is a failure. If you start your design with a point, with a basic idea that leads the entirety of the design, then you will find it easier to avoid these pitfalls.

Lemni, wtf?

He has everything present. The idea is here, the colors match appropriately, it captures what he wanted. For all intents and purposes this is [i]"good" [/i]his only immediate problem is that his render isn't dynamic. Something for some ungodly reason and all your explanations that completely missed the point, failed to address.

No... Inferno, you did good. But next time try and pick a Render or Stock with much more action to it alright? There really isn't much you can do with a Static Render.

[quote name='Icyblue' timestamp='1313947065' post='5459444']
Lemni, wtf?

He has everything present. The idea is here, the colors match appropriately, it captures what he wanted. For all intents and purposes this is [i]"good" [/i]his only immediate problem is that his render isn't dynamic. Something for some ungodly reason and all your explanations that completely missed the point, failed to address.

No... Inferno, you did good. But next time try and pick a Render or Stock with much more action to it alright? There really isn't much you can do with a Static Render.
[/quote]

I am sorry Icy, but in what way is this good? I appreciate the effort put in, and I believe that he has the ability to make some really great things, but this isn't great. My comments did not miss the point, they simply addressed a point that most amateur signature designers fail to address: the idea of a total composition. It can't just be a render slapped on a background with some fractals, it has to make a point, it has to move, it has to draw the viewer in and make them feel something. There are some pieces of art I have viewed that have evoked a truly emotional response, things that have left me with a sense of wonder and amazement. Good art does that. I understand that it is a high standard to wish for from a basic signature designer, but I believe it is exactly that ideal that allows people to be great. You cannot get there unless you reach. I hope he is able to improve, and I hope that he doesn't become discouraged as so many do. He has a lot of good ideas here, but no cohesion, and no message. Let's not pretend that effort alone makes a good composition. It takes much more.

Holy wall of text, geezus. Can you separate paragraphs?

And fine, lets talk.

It isn't just a render slapped on with some fractals as far as his skill level is going. He whether accidental or not, attempted to make it appear natural. To which bar a few parts, does look natural for what it is. So did he successfully make an environment within his immediate capability, according to his previous works? Yes he did. So success on background work.

Does it move? To a degree yes, however that is ridiculously hard for even a much more experienced artist with a Static Render (if you consider experience a factor that is and I don't). From our viewpoint, he did attempt it as his Fractal/Effect/C4D along the sword's assumed swinging motion shows. It also has a start and a finish; the start being below his arm the brighter than should be but acceptably ignored light thing, to the back of his shoulder. Sure he could have worked with the cape itself for a much easier and eye pleasing result, but we shouldn't punish him for an idea. So did he succeed in making it move within his capability and according to his previous work? Yes he did. So success on his movement.

Does it make us feel something? I don't know. If you don't feel anything, that's your own thing and since he didn't have anything clear we cannot assume he even intended for a message or emotion. That would just tack on a standard one cannot expect until expressed. As for me, I didn't as it wasn't even focus on that, nor will I. Instead I will look at his degree of progress, as we all should if we'd like him to learn instead of following superficial standards we may or may not set for ourselves and others.

So for all intents and purposes, this isn't something we should put a standard on. Instead express how he succeeded (as I did now TWICE), and [b][u]help him for next time based on [color=#ff0000]his own natural learning curve[/color][/u][/b]. And so far, it appears like he's doing great. I'd ask for a more dynamic focal but what are you gonna do? You can't. So ask for it next time, hope he improves some even if not by our advice and watch with a patient voice.

I will say it once more, Inferno. Regardless of quality, your degree of progression shows and that alone makes this a success. I hope that next time you try it with a Render and/or Focus that shows more movement rather than a still image. That at the very least will give you something to play with and places to go, rather than stay in one place as your current canvas forces.

The design is only good because the background is acting dynamically well with the foreground effects that were applied. Without THIS background it wouldn't probably feel or taste as good (yes you can taste a design). However, what I find quite annoying is the composition. With such futuristic machinery present in the background the render pretty much downgrades everything because of the blade being held. You could have edited it with some electrical strokes just to make it blend in as well as the other things surrounding it.

The light source also doesn't seem to be realistic. At the current time there are 2 sources that are emitting light. Well actually more but the size and distance makes a bigger difference. With the large aquatic-looking sun at the back this should have dimmed the front of the render because the guy's shadow will be working against him from the back. BUT! with the fractals being in such place you could simply lighten up some parts of the render that are close to the source and then darken everything else (except the places where it is interacting with the sun-thing).

To an instinct you're doing good. Take graphic design step by stuff, learn it, treasure it and don't rush. Grab some traditional art books and read about light sources, depth of field, shadows, etc. They helped me out a lot, perhaps they will to you too.

[quote name='Icyblue' timestamp='1313981673' post='5461408']
Holy wall of text, geezus. Can you separate paragraphs?

And fine, lets talk.

It isn't just a render slapped on with some fractals as far as his skill level is going. He whether accidental or not, attempted to make it appear natural. To which bar a few parts, does look natural for what it is. So did he successfully make an environment within his immediate capability, according to his previous works? Yes he did. So success on background work.

Does it move? To a degree yes, however that is ridiculously hard for even a much more experienced artist with a Static Render (if you consider experience a factor that is and I don't). From our viewpoint, he did attempt it as his Fractal/Effect/C4D along the sword's assumed swinging motion shows. It also has a start and a finish; the start being below his arm the brighter than should be but acceptably ignored light thing, to the back of his shoulder. Sure he could have worked with the cape itself for a much easier and eye pleasing result, but we shouldn't punish him for an idea. So did he succeed in making it move within his capability and according to his previous work? Yes he did. So success on his movement.

Does it make us feel something? I don't know. If you don't feel anything, that's your own thing and since he didn't have anything clear we cannot assume he even intended for a message or emotion. That would just tack on a standard one cannot expect until expressed. As for me, I didn't as it wasn't even focus on that, nor will I. Instead I will look at his degree of progress, as we all should if we'd like him to learn instead of following superficial standards we may or may not set for ourselves and others.

So for all intents and purposes, this isn't something we should put a standard on. Instead express how he succeeded (as I did now TWICE), and [b][u]help him for next time based on [color=#ff0000]his own natural learning curve[/color][/u][/b]. And so far, it appears like he's doing great. I'd ask for a more dynamic focal but what are you gonna do? You can't. So ask for it next time, hope he improves some even if not by our advice and watch with a patient voice.

I will say it once more, Inferno. Regardless of quality, your degree of progression shows and that alone makes this a success. I hope that next time you try it with a Render and/or Focus that shows more movement rather than a still image. That at the very least will give you something to play with and places to go, rather than stay in one place as your current canvas forces.
[/quote]

I see your point. It's a solid point. You'll notice, however, that not only did my statements spark discussion, they caused you to offer more concrete and helpful criticism. Just as you have a perspective, I have one. My perspective is that this, objectively, is not good. I am not basing that decision on skill level, or quality of past works, nor do I think I should. I recognize that there is potential here, but I also don't want to coddle people with the illusion that they are generating great work. I received that sort of treatment when I was first starting out, and looking back, I wish I hadn't. I am making a conscious decision to critique the way I do. I would thank you not to judge.

It surely is certainly better than a strictly negative opinion? If they think they've only done wrong, they won't want to continue. And them continuing with "poor quality" or "no progress" work is always better than stopping.

[quote name='Lunar Origin' timestamp='1313986431' post='5461572']
You two, quit arguing. It's mostly a matter of opinion and how you look at it. Skill progression doesn't matter to some people, and a lot judge harsher than others.
[/quote]

How is this arguing? o_O...

[quote name='Lunar Origin' timestamp='1313986431' post='5461572']
You two, quit arguing. It's mostly a matter of opinion and how you look at it. Skill progression doesn't matter to some people, and a lot judge harsher than others.
[/quote]
Actually, their argument will help many people. So it is a good thing they did it, it allows a graphic designer have a more understanding of the opinions in people's mind of the artwork they work on, which can give more of a reason on to why people might make things. It also improves the ability of someone when listening to them, showing two different ideas that can help the person towards the next. And the information they put out their is great as well. Even if it is not an argument.

I agree. I wouldn't consider it an argument. I respect Icy, and am just looking to explicate my own process for critiquing other people's designs. As far as whether people will want to stop, I recognize that I may be a tad too harsh, and I understand that people may become discouraged, but that is why I also pointed out that there is potential here. I can tell that he has at least a basic understanding of flow and lighting and all of those sorts of things. My critique is not about the pieces though, but about the composition as a whole.

Inferno, if I in any way discouraged you, I apologize. You do have potential. This is about as good as a lot of my first pieces were, and about as good as a lot of Icy's were. I'm sure the same can be said for just about everyone else here. Keep at it. You'll get better.

Hmm, yeah. Gonna agree with Lemni at this point, although it's not as bad as he makes out.

First, the render is slightly 'soft'. The whole piece could do with a quick sharpening up.

Second is the unnecessary background detail. Really un-needed and just takes me away from the render.

Probably already said this on EGFX, I think, but worth repeating.

Archived