Kitsune of the Red Lotus

Max Darkness

Trying to make a Normal semi-Staple.

Thoughts?

2hdwb5e.png

Effect: 2 Level 4 Normal Monsters

This card is always treated as a Normal Monster, and not as an Effect Monster. When this card is Xyz Summoned, and at the start of your turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; This turn, your opponent cannot activate card effects in response to the Special Summon of, or effects that would Special Summon Level 5 or higher Non-Effect Monsters.

Hey there Max, I've yet to rate a single card since I've returned, so why not start with a fine card maker like yourself. =)

To start off, the OCG seems flawless to me. The effect though, while balanced, doesn't really seem to be all that useful IMO.

You need 2 Normal monsters to summon it, and I don't think people would use it unless they had a strong Normal based Deck. Plus, it's effect seems a little esoteric(hehe big word) and not very useful. For the cost of 1 Xyz material, I think a more powerful effect is needed, not just: "This turn, your opponent cannot activate card effects in response to the Special Summon of, or effects that would Special Summon Level 5 or higher Non-Effect Monsters."

To sum it up, I'd say the card is not all that useful in the current Meta, and needs to have a bit more power. Like more effects relating to Normal monsters. But I do like that it's fairly original. I say this card is about: 8.5/10

@ragnarok: I don't think "treated as a Normal monster" means it takes away it's effect. I think that just means it's treated like that by card effects. But, I might be wrong.

ok that part is a bit confusing Max

if it's ALWAYS treated as a normal monster and never as an effect monster, what'd be the point of even giving it an effect?

You explain that part to me first, THEN I'll rate it

Through its effect, it is treated as a Normal Monster that has an effect. Being treated as a Normal Monster does not remove its effect, it simply means that it becomes eligible for Normal Monster support ("Non-Spellcasting Area", "Justi-Break" etc), and its effect cannot be countered by any existing cards.

Hey there Max, I've yet to rate a single card since I've returned, so why not start with a fine card maker like yourself. =)

To start off, the OCG seems flawless to me. The effect though, while balanced, doesn't really seem to be all that useful IMO.

You need 2 Normal monsters to summon it, and I don't think people would use it unless they had a strong Normal based Deck. Plus, it's effect seems a little esoteric(hehe big word) and not very useful. For the cost of 1 Xyz material, I think a more powerful effect is needed, not just: "This turn, your opponent cannot activate card effects in response to the Special Summon of, or effects that would Special Summon Level 5 or higher Non-Effect Monsters."

To sum it up, I'd say the card is not all that useful in the current Meta, and needs to have a bit more power. Like more effects relating to Normal monsters. But I do like that it's fairly original. I say this card is about: 8.5/10

This is supposed to work alongside two possible strategies. First, in a standard Normal beatdown Deck, it can be used to protect the mass of high-Level Dragons you'll be Summoning. Secondly, in a "Gem-Knight" or Normal Equip Deck, it can be used with "Daigusto Emeral" or "Knight of the Red Lotus", both very potent way of reviving any Normals, or Non-Effect Fusions like "BEUD".

It's not designed to be the end-all of Normal support. Its role is to make sure your opponent cannot stop you bringing out a wave of monsters during your turn, and to provide 2300 ATK.

I am currently working on expanding the "Red Lotus" archetype, so this is the start of something bigger. This was mainly to judge the reaction I got from it.

very well, now I'll rate it

so for the xyz material detaching, it's certainly a good idea to summon counting

problem is you made it so that it has to be non-effect monsters of lv5 or higher

I admit allowing effect monsters too is too powerful, but I'm curious as to see what kind of combo you're getting at here in this situation

care to explain?

very well, now I'll rate it

so for the xyz material detaching, it's certainly a good idea to summon counting

problem is you made it so that it has to be non-effect monsters of lv5 or higher

I admit allowing effect monsters too is too powerful, but I'm curious as to see what kind of combo you're getting at here in this situation

care to explain?

"Ancient Rules"/"Birthright"/"Daigusto Emeral" etc. can all bring out "Blue-Eyes", "Tri-Horned Dragon", "Rabi-Dragon" very easily. If their Summon cannot be stopped, your opponent will have to rely on their Battle Phase Traps to protect them. And if they've been "Heavy Stormed", your opponent is open to at least 5300 ATK.

so you don't think that's easy to pull off

First, you need two Level 4s. Normal Decks usually focus on keeping their monsters on the field to maintain the beatdown. Using two monsters to get one is a loss of field presence, and its FIRE Beast-Warrior mix might mean the general support of the Deck does not mesh with it, making it weaker (ATK/DEF wise) than the monsters it used for its Summon.

Second, its effect is only worthwhile while you know you are going to be Summoning Level 5 or higher Non-Effect Monsters. If you do not have the means to, it is simply a loss of field presence, and only 2300 ATK. Also, it does not protect against any effects that would destroy the monsters once they've been Summoned. "Mirror Force", "Judgment Dragon" and "Black Lustre Soldier" can all make this utterly useless, and clear your field at the same time.

Third, it cannot protect itself with its own effect. If your opponent activates "Solemn Warning", "Wattcancel", or any of the other cards that would negate the Summon, you lose three monsters, and your trumps are as vulnerable as they would be normally.

It can create a OTK, but only when supported with cards that would destroy all the other threats faced by monsters when they are attacking.

• 4 months later...

Archived