Brutal Death Metal

d3ath79

[quote name='Poc' timestamp='1328789840' post='5805959']
A lot of death metal bands are pretty cheesy with the lyrics, but you can't understand the vocalist half the time so it doesn't matter much anyways.
[/quote]

Sometimes they hide those funny messages if you're quick to pick up on them. I remember one song I listened to had "goldfish ate my life" or something like that. I laughed.

[quote name='Comrade Trollestia' timestamp='1328836312' post='5807300']
Which is why I laugh when people make Brutal Death Metal out to be some kind of extremely profound genre of music.
[/quote]

It's really not [i]that[/i] profound. I mean, unless it has meaningful lyrics, it's just vocals in a song.
Though I rarely listen to Brutal Death Metal nowadays, I'm sure thar there is a Brutal Death Metal band out there that has meaningful lyrics, and not mindless growling.

Most metal bands as a whole have completely pointless lyrics. See, for example, Trivium. I got bored of their music long ago, partially because they're horribly lyrically. Also In Flames. My god they have awful lyrics. There are only a few metal bands I actually enjoy the lyrics of, those being The Black Dahlia Murder, Glassjaw (though they're technically post-hardcore), and a few others.

[quote name='Psaro' timestamp='1328973674' post='5810400']
[b]Most metal bands as a whole have completely pointless lyrics[/b]. See, for example, Trivium. I got bored of their music long ago, partially because they're horribly lyrically. Also In Flames. My god they have awful lyrics. There are only a few metal bands I actually enjoy the lyrics of, those being The Black Dahlia Murder, Glassjaw (though they're technically post-hardcore), and a few others.
[/quote]

[raeg]
That is the most horrible stereotype I have ever heard.
Worse than Germans being Nazis.
Worse than racial stereotypes.
Worse than- well you get the point.
[/raeg]

What exactly do you mean by pointless? Please do enlighten me.

[quote name='Protogenoi - Chaos' timestamp='1328978184' post='5810494']
[raeg]
That is the most horrible stereotype I have ever heard.
Worse than Germans being Nazis.
Worse than racial stereotypes.
Worse than- well you get the point.
[/raeg]

What exactly do you mean by pointless? Please do enlighten me.
[/quote]

Oh come now. The majority of metal bands in existence either:
1). Don't bother putting any depth into their lyrics and make it all "I'LL FIGHT TO MY DEAAAATH," or about war and stuff, and it's just rather boring, to be fair. We'll take Black Tide as an example. "I'll fight to the bitter end, take my life back again." It's just sad, really, how little creativity can go into something that's [i]about [/i]expression.
2). Attempt to put depth to their lyrics, but honestly do a subpar job of it. Take basically anything In Flames or Trivium have written. It's just kind of boring. It doesn't tell a story, peak any interest, show anything really substantial to the reader/listener.

I mean, by pointless, I sorta meant bad, but the word bad just didn't really fit the way I was trying to describe it.

Also comparing a minor musical stereotype to blatant racism (in response to the one about Nazism and Germans) and hateful misguidedness is just atrocious.

[quote name='Psaro' timestamp='1329022085' post='5812009']
Oh come now. The majority of metal bands in existence either:
1). Don't bother putting any depth into their lyrics and make it all "I'LL FIGHT TO MY DEAAAATH," or about war and stuff, and it's just rather boring, to be fair. We'll take Black Tide as an example. "I'll fight to the bitter end, take my life back again." It's just sad, really, how little creativity can go into something that's [i]about [/i]expression.
2). Attempt to put depth to their lyrics, but honestly do a subpar job of it. Take basically anything In Flames or Trivium have written. It's just kind of boring. It doesn't tell a story, peak any interest, show anything really substantial to the reader/listener.

I mean, by pointless, I sorta meant bad, but the word bad just didn't really fit the way I was trying to describe it.

Also comparing a minor musical stereotype to blatant racism (in response to the one about Nazism and Germans) and hateful misguidedness is just atrocious.
[/quote]

Blatant racism..... Nazism and Germans... not seeing the connection you made there.
Alright.

As for the lyrical themes.
I've noticed that the more mainstream certain metal bands get, the more their lyrical prowess starts to decrease. Usually.
Bands with really, really, excellent lyrical quality are usually not known. It really just takes time to dig really deep into the metal. It's amazing how many bands you can find with great lyrics.

[quote name='Psaro' timestamp='1329023065' post='5812045']
Saying every German is a Nazi is basically racism. Since Nazism is generally thought of as negative, and the demographic of German people count as a race.

Anyway, yes, there are bands with lyrical ability, but generally nowhere near enough to say that "metal has good lyrics" by an stretch of the phrase.
[/quote]

1. German =/= Race
It's a nationality.

I do not wish to continue this bit of the conversation here. Should you have more to say, you can direct it to the PM.

2. And the same scenario applies to the phrase that "metal doesn't have good lyrics". It's not the genre that doesn't have good lyrics, it's the bands that you hear. And since there are TONS of bands out there.
The Metal Archives has a list of over 7000 bands that begin with the letter A. I of course don't have the time to hear them all, but who knows. They may have the lyrical quality that you'll love.

Personally, I don't think our ear, eyes, and mouths will ever hear, see, or speak on this matter equally. I think we should stop our arguement here to prevent any unfortunate events that could happen.

Good day.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Psaro' timestamp='1326142798' post='5756477']
Grindcore > Brutal Death Metal.

/offtopic
[/quote]
Only in some cases. I personally prefer Brutal Death Metal.

[quote name='Psaro' timestamp='1328973674' post='5810400']
Most metal bands as a whole have completely pointless lyrics. See, for example, Trivium. I got bored of their music long ago, partially because they're horribly lyrically. Also In Flames. My god they have awful lyrics. There are only a few metal bands I actually enjoy the lyrics of, those being The Black Dahlia Murder, Glassjaw (though they're technically post-hardcore), and a few others.
[/quote]

Compare most other genres to metal and you see that metal has really good lyrics. Portal ([url="http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/portalaustralia/outr.html#7"]http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/portalaustralia/outr.html#7[/url]) and Acid Bath ([url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0szJfYB2s0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0szJfYB2s0[/url]) are good examples of good metal lyrics.

Archived