Video Game Financial Decisions (and things)

Makο

[quote name='Mako109' timestamp='1330459651' post='5846330']
...Makes me think. Have any of you hatin' folks even tried WoW? :/
[/quote]

I played it for about 5 years and quit rather recently after getting fed up with Blizzards new attitude towards the players.

Also, unless you are completely 100% shure you will be able to play an MMO like WoW with moderation, I would seriously advise agaisnt it because the monthly cost will look like quite a money sink unless you play regularly

Now, I've never played WoW before, but I did play something damn similar and pumped ~$100 into it and now I hardly ever play. It was an obvious mistake that I saw even while I was doing it, but just couldn't stop myself. Also, I bought a new DS a few months ago ([i]I used to have one, but it broke[/i]) and once again, I find myself barely playing it. You have to take into consideration how long you expect you'll keep entertainment from one or the other and factor out your current feelings. I really liked RoM ([i]the mmo I played; "f2p" WoW clone[/i]) and I still do, but now instead of playing it for hours every day, I'll maybe get in an hour or two every three weeks. You should anticipate the possiblity of something getting boring, because if you do get bored with it, you'll have already pumped money into it. Personally, I would hold off on both and save up my money, but if you feel as though you must get one or the other, get the 3DS, if only because you can re-sell that later on if you do get bored.

inb4tl;dr

Oh, and in terms of general spending on video games and the like, here's how I see it. Anything that you can't hold in your hand ([i]or is not necessary to live comfortably[/i]) and exchange for cash is not worth putting money into. ([i]Did I mention how I'm a terrible hypocrite?[/i]) Resale is something you have to constantly think about, and once your money has to go into other more important things like rent, food, gas, etc. you become far more conservative with the money you have left over. Yes, I could easily drop ~$15/month on some MMO but when I stop, how do I get any of that money back? I can't. If I buy 2 new games for $60 each and four months later I'm not even so much as touching them anymore, I can turn around and sell them for a bit less ([i]ALOT less if its to Gamestop) [/i]and make back at least some of the money I put into them. My point being, unless you can resell it, I would avoid buying into it. And it's not like I'm some wiseman of spending either. I'm only just learning the realities and difficulties of living off only the money you make and not leaning on parents or guardians all the time. This is just one of the many things I need to apply more in order to keep the entertainment I want, but not wasting the money I need. Take of it what you will.

Well, I've come across another factor. My brother, as the rest of my family decided, is getting a 2-Month WoW Gift Card for his birthday, since he started to play F2P before me. Now, since I'm the type of guy who does NOT like his brother getting ahead of him in any way, I'm starting to lean towards WoW. After all, we're the same level (we both hit 20), and we're on different factions, making a natural rivalry between us. I still want the 3DS, but I don't want him getting too far ahead of me so that when I finally DO get WoW, he can kick my ass!

(We've vowed to, once we can, hunt each other down and kill each other)

DAMMIT CIRCUMSTANCE.

Archived