Because I just got the final print issue of SJ. [No. 30: Acid Golem of Destruction]

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Merciful Idiot' timestamp='1330794124' post='5854085']
I run an Acid Golem deck. -_- And guess what? I WIN WITH THEM, USING PRIME MATERIAL AND BARREL BEHIND THE DOOR AND MAGICAL BOX AND STUFF. *random raeging*

This is one of my favorite cards. Seriously. Sure, it prohibits Special Summoning, but seriously. It can potentially increase your LP or damage your opponents' by 2000. And the Xyz-detaching thing is OPTIONAL. Okay, so its downsides balance it out, but really. First thing's first, it's a THREE THOUSAND ATK beatstick easily summonable by Tour Guide. Maybe Leviair, Leviathan, and Zenmaines have better overall options, this can run over all those pesky monsters over 2500+ ATK easily for two turns. And once again, I repeat, the 2000-taking-damage thing is OPTIONAL. It's either that or detaching an Xyz material. So if you've got your Prime Material or Barrel Behind the Door prepared, then you don't have to waste that last precious Xyz Material just yet which will render your Acid Golem a useless sitting duck. And when your Acid Golem DOES run out of Xyz Materials, well, that's what Magical Box and Creature Swap are for, right? And once it's stuck on your opponent's field, they'll have difficulty getting rid of it, since it'll hinder them from Special Summoning it and will damage them 2000 points per turn. I don't know about you, but the usual amount of decks that have cards like Barrel Behind The Door and Prime Material are very, VERY not often seen. Why? Because they, I have to admit, aren't actually that practical compared to the meta and stuff. But still, since your opponent has like only a 1/1000 chance of running cards like those, they're guaranteed to suffer 2000 per turn. Of course, you'd have to stall for them to die, but it counts, especially when they can't special summon their silly Synchros and Xyzes and whatnot, so they'll have difficulty beating you down. If they run Steelswarms however, or Monarchs, or something similar, well, that's a rare occassion usually. Thing is, Acid Golem of Destruction isn't at all useless. Its effect merely balances it out. Its first function is to act as a 3000 ATK beatstick, allowing it to run over your opponent's newly-summoned annoying Trishula and whatever other monster like that. and then you can use other cards to take advantage of its 2000-damage effect, redirecting that damage either to your opponent or converting it into increasing [i]yours.[/i] And finally, it can be used as a more effective yet harder to exchange Lava Golem, which I have no doubt this was based on. After using a Magical Box or Creature Swap, it'll hinder and block your opponents' Special Summons. Also, your opponent can't use it to attack you when it's out of Xyz Materials, as was the dangerous flaw with Laval Golem and Volcanic Queen. And finally, your opponent will suffer 2000 damage every turn, powerless to stop it. They'd have to resort to quickly beating you down, but how can they if they can't [i][b]Special Summon?[/b][/i] And we all know pretty much everyone relies on special summoning.

In other words; it's not spashable in the long run, but it's balanced. And there you have it. My personal point of view on this particular card.
[/quote]

You have successfully argued that a card can be run in a deck that focuses on that card.

Congratu-f***ing-lations.

Running Acid Golem is completely reliant on your Deck strategy. Most of my Decks ignore it, because they run more Rank 4s and the like and need the space for the amazing Rank 4s that you'll definitely want. Tour Guide may be a Rank 3 producer, but in most Decks, Tour isn't the only Xyz engine and it's only good for 2 Xyz without using Avarice/Emeral.

But if you run a more Rank 3-centric Deck in favor of Rank 4s or Synchros, Acid Golem is worth a slot. Like my Photon Sanctuary Deck. Tour Guide is literally one of the driving forces of the Deck, so having a variety of Rank 3s is significantly more important than Rank 4s, because I dont run a lot of Level 4 monsters to Xyz with. So I run Leviair, Leviathan, Giga-Brilliant, Acid Golem, and Zenmaines, all at 1 because I rarely try to Summon the same one twice, and Acid Golem was put in when I realized that the Deck genuinely wanted that option for a number of situations.

Due to Acid Golem's downsides, plus the focus of a Rabbit Deck on Special Summoning using Leviair and Rabbit, PLUS the cramped nature of needing more Rank 4 space due to Rabbit being an Xyz engine, and even MORE space if you run Verz Rabbit, Acid Golem has no place there.

[quote name='evilchris' timestamp='1330794261' post='5854091']
You have successfully argued that a card can be run in a deck that focuses on that card.

Congratu-f***ing-lations.[/sarcasm]
[/quote]

You're welcome. I just had to explain its benefits. There's not much to it in other decks, though, other than being a 3000 ATK beatstick that can backfire easily. My suggestion? [b]Don't run it in other decks. [/b]Don't waste precious Extra Deck space. Leviathan, Leviair, and Zenmaines can fill those spots. It's practically useless in other decks. Spashable, yes, maybe a little, but useless. It's dangerous, it can backfire too easily. The no-special-summon thing is waaayyy toooo dangerous for a deck that relies on it.

[quote name='evilfusion' timestamp='1330794385' post='5854092']
Running Acid Golem is completely reliant on your Deck strategy. Most of my Decks ignore it, because they run more Rank 4s and the like and need the space for the amazing Rank 4s that you'll definitely want. Tour Guide may be a Rank 3 producer, but in most Decks, Tour isn't the only Xyz engine and it's only good for 2 Xyz without using Avarice/Emeral.

But if you run a more Rank 3-centric Deck in favor of Rank 4s or Synchros, Acid Golem is worth a slot. Like my Photon Sanctuary Deck. Tour Guide is literally one of the driving forces of the Deck, so having a variety of Rank 3s is significantly more important than Rank 4s, because I dont run a lot of Level 4 monsters to Xyz with. So I run Leviair, Leviathan, Giga-Brilliant, Acid Golem, and Zenmaines, all at 1 because I rarely try to Summon the same one twice, and Acid Golem was put in when I realized that the Deck genuinely wanted that option for a number of situations.

Due to Acid Golem's downsides, plus the focus of a Rabbit Deck on Special Summoning using Leviair and Rabbit, PLUS the cramped nature of needing more Rank 4 space due to Rabbit being an Xyz engine, and even MORE space if you run Verz Rabbit, Acid Golem has no place there.
[/quote]

Ok so the first point I've already said in this thread, and agreed with, so I won't comment.

I still stand by my idea that it's best to have 2 Zenmaines and 2 17 before even considering this. The downside this brings can lose you the game, especially in any deck that special summons. Since your Xyz summoning this, I'd assume that that includes the deck you're using.

I agree.

On the note of "dangerous", I remember facing a Dark World player who brought out Acid Golem and then got stalled long enough for Golem to become a bad thing. He had to waste his own Dark Hole to get rid of it. I think I still lost the Duel (this was back when Dark World was at its prime), but it was amusing.

That's one of the biggest cons to even playing it. Most players can stall out against certain cards, and this is one of them. If you waste any turns with this thing because your opponent prevents you from making a play, you get 1 turn closer to losing and start to lose control of the game, eventually, your opponent can control the entire board just by leaving this untouched.

[quote name='evilchris' timestamp='1330808675' post='5854369']
I know I'm biased, but this has to be one of the best threads in TCG from an intellectual point of view.
[/quote]

Agreed.

It was a great discussion and both sides handled their view points better than never.

[quote name='Dworkin' timestamp='1330808395' post='5854367']
Evilfusion did, and I quoted him.
[/quote]
brb reading the argument again.
[quote name='evilchris' timestamp='1330808675' post='5854369']
I know I'm biased, but this has to be one of the best threads in TCG from an intellectual point of view.
[/quote]
I agree. I loved both sides' points of views.

[quote name='Dworkin' timestamp='1330808767' post='5854372']
Why?
[/quote]

Because we're discussing a card that doesn't lean too far towards either side of the good/bad spectrum, and has both supporters and disagreement for either side, while (mostly) avoiding personal attacks.

Zenmaines, Leviathan, Leviair (in some decks) will get the rank 3 spots before this does.

Depending on your ineterest in Extra Deck space you can run it for an extra toolbox card. I don't cause I use stuff that will actually get played.

Same logic for Steelswarm Roach.

[quote name='evilchris' timestamp='1330808853' post='5854376']

Idiocy should be a bannable offense. :(
[/quote]
I think you mean...

[img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/matanui0011/YuGiOhRG/beingstupidisagainsttherules.jpg[/img]

I run it in most of the decks I make...but I haven't actually [i]dueled[/i] with those decks, so...

Chris, while I absolutely agree with you from a competitive standpoint (like say you were in the top X at a premier event, disregarding the fact that you and your stupid last name won't do that), early rounds at a premier event and on DN this card is actually good. People run bad decks and it really works. Most of the time people do lose when they Summon it, but almost just as often they would've lost if they hadn't Summoned it. It reduces the chances of losing (in certain cases) to less than 100% when it was 100% before.

[quote name='Brandon Michael Geren' timestamp='1330821291' post='5854837']
Chris, while I absolutely agree with you from a competitive standpoint (like say you were in the top X at a premier event, disregarding the fact that you and your stupid last name won't do that), early rounds at a premier event and on DN this card is actually good. People run bad decks and it really works. Most of the time people do lose when they Summon it, but almost just as often they would've lost if they hadn't Summoned it. It reduces the chances of losing (in certain cases) to less than 100% when it was 100% before.
[/quote]

Well, I'm talking from a completely competitive standpoint, so I understand what you mean with that. Still, most of my time I only play friends who are usually decent at least anyway.

Oh and f*** you.

Archived