Chess Warriors

TediMoci

• 3 weeks later...

As a lover of chess I love the idea of a chess deck. However, before I evaluate the deck I must say one thing first: there is already a real Yu-Gi-Oh 'chess' deck: Archfiends. If you look at the Archfiends you will see that the majority are based on chess pieces and have a chessboard background. But they didn't develop the idea of a chess scenario, so I still congratulate you. And now onto the evaluation.

I like the idea of two different chess colors, but what I would like to see is maybe individual tactics, perhaps enhancing on the fact that White moves first (loved that card by the way) while Black has to go for more subtle strategies. This is just a suggestion, although at the moment I am struggling to see a clear strategy. Another option could be to choose one ability out of a list of options for a piece (which cannot be changed), but like I said, it's just a suggestion.

I would like to see a card for 'En Passant' (I think that's how you spell it), perhaps a card that can only be activated when a 'Pawn' Card is on your side of the field.

Gambits?

Checkmate should be more powerful, although it should have a cost. Perhaps you need 5 monsters on the field and you deal 4000 points of damage

Overprotection is a bit overpowered in that it destroys the monster. I'm guessing you took Negate Attack and made it slightly more powerful to compensate for the Archetype only 'cost'. However, seeing as you would probably only have this Archetype in your Deck due to the number of monsters, you probably shouldn't power it up.

A suggestion for the Pawns: maybe make them so that they special summon one Lv 4 or lower 'Chess Warrior' monster of their color from your hand or Deck? Your choice, but it seems to me that Pawns in real chess set things up (although I guess this is why you made them Tuners)

Finally, a small criticism: make sure that you put 'Chess Warrior' monsters instead of just 'Chess Warrior' otherwise you can only select a monster called 'Chess Warrior'.

In regards to the White Knight, don't you think it's a little much to have that card increase your Life Points during the Main Phase? There are two Main Phases, so technically, this effect goes off twice per turn for a possible maximum of 2000 Lifepoints per turn (1000 for each Main Phase).

I think it might be better to restrict the effect to either Main Phase 1 or 2. Unless, of course, having the effect activate twice was your intention, in which case, this card is definately overpowered.

Ok, I noticed some minor issues, but besides that, amazing cards.

Black Knight is to OP if it can attack directly at the cost of one Pawn. Being a Tuner on top of that? Ouch. You need to make it so it can't be used as a Synchro Material the turn yoou use that effect. Also, flip it into Defense mode if it attacks directly with that effect.

Black Rook has an OCG problem (I think). Those effeccts usually say activated and not Triggered.

Black Pawn needs wording change. Rereading it, I couldn't tell if you meant Special the Pawn or the Synchro next turn. Also, you need a Level Gaining effect where if it hits level x, you can Tribute it to summon any Black Chess card like it does in real life.

White King's wording could be compacted. try to do so.

White Bishop should be "in face-up attack position". ATK is restrictly for ATK. Other use results in noob confusion.

White Pawn needs the same level gain effect as Black Pawn.

Bishop's Prayer is to OP if you look at the fact it holds a potential of 6000 damage each use. Change it to say 500 damage for each Bishop. This weakens it and makes it only slightly stronger potentially than Just Desserts.

Castling should be "to your side of the field". Not "on". You're in love with "on".

Checkmate should be continuous, once per turn, and disable you from declaring an attack with your strongest monster during the Battle Phase.

Battlefield should also have a second effect. Maybe like a Ravine for chess pieces.

Exchange needs to be renamed as Yu-Gi-Oh! already has an Exchange. Rename it like Great Exchange. Also the effect already exists as it is on a Spell. Either make it a Trap or put in a 2nd effect.

Relentless Queen is really good, but it needs something more. As it is, it's a slightly better copy of Big Bang Shot. Give it a healing effect to match the picture and a drawback or cost: Banish the Equipped monster when it is removed from the field, pay X amount of Life Points, can't attack directly, etc.

Stalemate's cost should be said earlieer on. Also, specify the effect happens in the Battle Phase. Increase the cost from 300 to 500 to make it more fair.

Overprotection is slightly oveerpowered. I like that you mixed Sakuretsu Armor with Negate Attack (Fusion where both materials are Trap Cards). But maybe just decrease the attacking monster's Attack, Flip it into Defense Position, Bounce it, or heal your opponent's Life Points.

Check is really OP if you look at it. Worst than Checkmate with the edits I suggested. Make it so that you specify what kind of Summon or that you must have a Chess monster out.

Everything else looks great.. Can you give me your Google search terms? I've been developing my own set like this but with a separate idea going on. I can't get good pics though.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived