I couldn't help it [Tempura Wizard]

Lonk

Tempura Wizard
Level 10
FIRE
Spellcaster/Effect
ATK/2500 DEF/2500

During each End Phase, You must remove 1 Tempura Counter on the field. You can remove 3 Counters of any kind on the field; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. Once per turn during either player's Turn: You can distribute up to 2 Tempura Counters on monsters on the field. Monsters with Tempura Counters cannot declare an attack, activate their effects, be removed from the field as a cost or for a Summon, and their ATK and DEF become 0 (Even if this card is removed from the field, the effects of Tempura Counters are still applied). While this card is face-up on the field: If there are 10 Tempura Counters on the field: You win the duel. You can only control 1 "Tempura Wizard".

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1333750096' post='5904263']
So, after five turns you win instantly? Even if he's destroyed, you can bring him back easily. Totally OP'd
[/quote]

Not to mention that he fuels his own revival effect, so even if he's destroyed, you'll still have counters to special summon AND they count towards his instant win effect.

Basically this card is absolutely terrible design and there's no way to balance it because it's either to hard to use to be worth it, or it's too easy to win with.

And that's not even mentioning the other effect. It's just flat out broken.

Not to mention the sturdy attack and defence, plus nowdays with dozens of Special Summoning effects, he's too easy to get out in the first place. This is a hundred times easier to use than Exodia. Final Countdown waits four times as long, with a cost. Final Countdown takes twice that long, and is easily thwarted. The snake dude is somewhat limited, and takes slightly longer, even longer than that, conditionally. Last Turn is extremely hard to use, and the Creator God of Light needs ALL THREE Egyptian Gods on the field.

It is pretty much Broken. You can distribute 4 counter on the field in between your Main Phase and your Opponent's Standby Phase; giving you an easy revival. With enough protection, you will win in 5 turns or 3 of your turns. Not to mention the other effects COMPLETELY rendering any Monster useless.

Since its a quick-play effect; it is practically immortal vs Monsters. Zenmaines? 1 counter on him; there...obsolete. JD? Counter. BLS? Counter. Even without the win condition, this card is a BOSS among BOSSES. The solid 2500 ATK/DEF further reinforces the point. It can beat any Monster in battle and deal a solid 2500 damage easily.

It has an extremely easy revival effect that allows it to come back with extreme ease and it has no summoning restrictions; so it is open to being summoned with little effort. In addition, its a Spellcaster; which possess some of the most potent protection and summoning card effects in the game.

1 of 2 things must be done:

1) Remove the auto-win condition and add summoning restrictions. It is now a new stand-alone Boss Monster.
2) Weaken the Counter effect either by limiting it to only your field or removing most restrictions of Monsters with counters.

I was actually thinking along the lines of removing 1 Counter during each End Phase, but I don't see how I could word that in there, only because it is a condition and not an effect. However, I could make it so that you can only control 1 "Tempura Wizard" as well, to avoid Counter Spam.

BTW, both need to be there as a homage to the Ultimate Tempura Wizard, who turns you into a Tempura and then kills you by eating you.

On second thought, the Tempura Counters should be restricted, as in saying that each turn, two monsters are rendered defenceless. No attack, no effect, and can't be used as tributes? I think that they should lose less attack, say 500, maybe 1000, instead of reducing to zero. And there should be some flaw that restricts possibilities, like allowing the monsters with counters to still be tributed, making you thwartable. Plus, only the Tempura Counters should be able to revive him, not just any.

Archived