Next Genertaion Stratos, Puts tour guide to Shame -THE DISCUSSION

Dark Tiras

[size=6][b]READ THE SECOND POST FOR TOPIC. THIS IS AN EXAMPLE POST.[/b][/size] -Yuzuru Otonashi

This card would be ran in many decks and would fit right in with the current DinoRabbit Meta
[img]http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj507/xAzazelNZ/stratos11.jpg[/img]
as always please rate and give feedback

Alright, at Icy’s suggestion I’m opening and pinning this thread as a discussion topic for what RC thinks should qualify as an overly broken card. In the end, it’s the mods’ say, but I want to hear your opinion before I make a ruling on this.

As you can see, he made a card that makes Tour Guide look crappy, which is no small feat. The worst part is how he did it on purpose.

So, let’s discuss what constitutes a balance/brokenness for now. The advanced clause doesn’t apply here but, please, discuss intelligently.

Good examples to start with would be the following, to get an idea:
Tour Guide from the Underworld
Resuce Cat
Rescue Rabbit
Evoltile Casinerio
Naturia White Oak
Gladiator Beast Secutor

First off, you do know that it could not search Rabbit right?
Secondly, you do know that it is absolutely insane? It is an instant level 7, 6, 5, 4 Synchro OR a instant level 3 Xyz, and it does not even negate the effect; it would be played in every single meta deck ever. It is absolutely completely and extremely OP'd. The Field Spell search just breaks it farther in DW. I literally cannot stress how much this would break the game.

Oh yea, and did I mention that it helps ALL of these decks: rescue Rabbit, Wind Up, Inzector? And did I mention that NONE of these decks need ANY help at ALL?

This card is worse design than pot of greed.

This card is so broken, shattered glass laughs at it.

wut?

lol but this card is pretty broken.
With this I can get rabbit to throw laggia/dolka at someone with ease.
Make my opponent rage quit after brionac.
Kill something with Grapha and if I don't have a face-up DW, I can just search reborn or something.
If I'm in a jam I can instantly get Dark Hole or Storm, thus freeing me to do what ever I please.
And that's probably not even half of it.

And that crappy pic looks oddly familiar. ;)

Lol this thing really needs to be fixed my friend.

[quote name='thekazu4u' timestamp='1333249544' post='5897045']
First off, you do know that it could not search Rabbit right?
Secondly, you do know that it is absolutely insane? It is an instant level 7, 6, 5, 4 Synchro OR a instant level 3 Xyz, and it does not even negate the effect; it would be played in every single meta deck ever. It is absolutely completely and extremely OP'd. The Field Spell search just breaks it farther in DW. I literally cannot stress how much this would break the game.

Oh yea, and did I mention that it helps ALL of these decks: rescue Rabbit, Wind Up, Inzector? And did I mention that NONE of these decks need ANY help at ALL?

This card is worse design than pot of greed.
[/quote]
[quote name='Yuuichirou' timestamp='1333250467' post='5897064']
This card is so broken, shattered glass laughs at it.

wut?

lol but this card is pretty broken.
With this I can get rabbit to throw laggia/dolka at someone with ease.
Make my opponent rage quit after brionac.
Kill something with Grapha and if I don't have a face-up DW, I can just search reborn or something.
If I'm in a jam I can instantly get Dark Hole or Storm, thus freeing me to do what ever I please.
And that's probably not even half of it.

And that crappy pic looks oddly familiar. ;)

Lol this thing really needs to be fixed my friend.
[/quote]
Can you guys read? Or did you not see the OTHER pinned topic like this that was locked as an example?

Well, for the first post that's actually on-topic, I know from experience the following:

Restrictions =/= Balance

and

Life Point Payment =/= Good restriction

I have learned both of those though my cards (most of which haven't been posted here) that did both of those. At one point I made a high-level monster with 5000 ATK that couldn't attack, but could reduce its ATK to deal burn damage. However, the "can't attack" restriction isn't really a restriction at all, due to Skill Drain. Another card I haven't redone was basically a better version of CyDrag that could be summoned when one had fewer monsters than their opponent for a Life Point cost. I hope anyone can see why that would be broken, especially when it had Monarch level stats.

My point is, restrictions on a card that may as well say "You win the game" either won't be enough (e.g. Rescue Rabbit) or will be too much (e.g. Horakty or Sophia). Either it will be still overpowered, or severely underpowered. So, for all Realistic Cards people, take the above boolean equations to heart, as well as my wall of text.

[quote name='Yuzuru Otonashi' timestamp='1333250989' post='5897073']
Can you guys read? Or did you not see the OTHER pinned topic like this that was locked as an example?
[/quote]Ahh... I see lol
But it is discussion right? lol
my bad though...

It's hard to determine what'd be overly broken on certain, off-the-wall cards as new ideas and methods of play can cuase unforseen advantages. But on basic cards like this I'd say overly broken cards are cards that offer the user benefits with no drawbacks, such as the above. It offers a free special summon with no restrictions on the summoned monster, except it has to be level 4 or lower; which doesn't really count as a restriction. Pot of Greed is overly broken for the same reason. Exodia would be, but it has the restriction of requiring all five pieces.

tl;dr (how? :P) : If it offers an advantage with no drawbacks or restrictions, it's more than likely overly broken.

For me if you go in with the mind set of trying to make a better version of Tour Guide, etc.. you are going to a road to an obviously broken card.

In my opinion, a broken card is when a card gives a player to much advantage for no or little cost (Tour Guide from the Underworld -> Leviair -> w/e), or disrupts your opponent's field to a very high extent for little or no cost (Harpie's Feather Duster/Rageiki).

For me balance is anything that gives advantage or disrupts the opponent in a small way with a sufficient cost.

To be honest, I think people just need to change their mind sets. Don't go in trying to make a staple in the TCG something better. Try to take cards that are not commonly used and make better, usable versions of them.

[quote] [color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Don't go in trying to make a staple in the TCG something better. [/quote][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]I think I agree. Creating semi-staples that do something NEW and good for the game,that is good. But creating a better version of an already existing staple, allowing BOTH to be used in the same deck... that is a bad idea. I hardly think TGU needs power creep.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Also, whenever you take a tier 1 terribly designed deck (aka rescue rabbit) and attempt to make it BETTER... then you also have a problem. [/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Darkplant - VENOM' timestamp='1333297369' post='5897580']
Why are you guys even bothering to argue and explain on this? I mean, anyone with even a vague understanding of the game can instantly see this is beyond broken.
[/quote]

More about discussing card design on Rescue Guide - esque cards.

[quote name='thekazu4u' timestamp='1333312047' post='5897959']
... how is Secutor an OP'd card....
[/quote]
He probably used that as an example because it technically does the exact same as TGU or Rabbit, but has the problem where you have to keep it alive.

[quote name='Tsukasa Hiiragi' timestamp='1333312248' post='5897968']
He probably used that as an example because it technically does the exact same as TGU or Rabbit, but has the problem where you have to keep it alive.
[/quote]

We did. The "Rescue Guide Cards", as I called them in our discussion was cards that pulled 1 or more cards from your Deck to the field with no cost at all (or at the least notable cost).

[quote] [color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]We did. The "Rescue Guide Cards", as I called them in our discussion was cards that pulled 1 or more cards from your Deck to the field with no cost at all (or at the least notable cost). [/quote][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Nimble Monmonga. Not only does it pull 2 cards to the field from your deck with no cost, but it ALSO gives you 1000 Life Points. :0 [/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='thekazu4u' timestamp='1333314603' post='5898026']
[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Nimble Monmonga. Not only does it pull 2 cards to the field from your deck with no cost, but it ALSO gives you 1000 Life Points. :0 [/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]
Has to be destroyed by battle =O

[url="http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/d/d0/NaturiaWhiteOakHA04-EN-ScR-1E.jpg"][img]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110422061727/yugioh/images/thumb/d/d0/NaturiaWhiteOakHA04-EN-ScR-1E.jpg/300px-NaturiaWhiteOakHA04-EN-ScR-1E.jpg[/img][/url]

This is another "Rescue Cat" esque card, but it's nowhere near as good as Rabbit or Cat because it's way too specific and situational. Theoretically worse than Secutor.

Cards like Nimble Momonga, Giant Germ and Hyena are terrible on the modern game because their mechanic is slow and unpractical.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='GhostRecon' timestamp='1336864809' post='5938184']
You banned my best freind for making this card, he said it was broken for christs sake. I've changed everything he said about it to make an example. But yes it is a very broke card
[/quote]
You necrobumped. Why?

Archived