Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Trapspringer

So the official stance on the Final Fantasy VII remake that was mocked up for the demo of the PS3's graphics capabilities at E3 a couple years back has changed. Originally, Squarenix said that they had no intention of EVER remaking Final Fantasy VII with their new amazing graphics. Now, they say that the remake of Final Fantasy VII could happen, but it would be as the end of the franchise all together. They are willing to remake it ONLY when they've made a new Final Fantasy game that trumps VII. My question is this:

If they're waiting to remake FFVII until after they make a new FF game that is superior to it, will the remake ever happen?/will the series ever die?

Personally I think X is better then VII but that's just me. So what is the definition of superior in this case? VII is the most memorable for sure but to say it's the absolute pinnacle of the Final Fantasy series is just silly. That's just my opinion though.

[quote name='Comrade TentaSparkle' timestamp='1343445545' post='5990705']
Also, Cloud in a dress... O_o
[/quote]
My eyes. [i]My eyes[/i]...

The most interesting thing about this would probably be that Square actually considers FFVII to be the best Final Fantasy. I mean, you don't see Nintendo picking a best Zelda game, even though the best one is obviously [s]Ocarina of Time[/s] [s]Wind Waker[/s] [s]Twilight Princess[/s] [s]Skyward Sword[/s] [s]Link to the Past[/s] [s]Link's Adventure?[/s].

I have a different theory. You know how Square has a dartboard with all the Final Fantasy games on it, for the Square Enix Remake Train? Well, I think they forgot to add any game after FFV to the dartboard and have just been trying to conceal their mistake.

Now, FFX puts a hole in this theory. However, this is actually not contradictory because it is actually being remade by the dream Square created by the [s]Wind Fish[/s] [s]Fayth[/s] [s]time paradox?[/s] it involves crystals.

[quote name='Dr. Cakey!!' timestamp='1344006012' post='5996263']
My eyes. [i]My eyes[/i]...

The most interesting thing about this would probably be that Square actually considers FFVII to be the best Final Fantasy. I mean, you don't see Nintendo picking a best Zelda game, even though the best one is obviously [s]Ocarina of Time[/s] [s]Wind Waker[/s] [s]Twilight Princess[/s] [s]Skyward Sword[/s] [s]Link to the Past[/s] [s]Link's Adventure?[/s].
[/quote]

IMO, Twilight Princess is definitely not the best. It fell a bit short of the other titles. Also your list is missing Link's Awakening.

[quote name='Comrade TentaSparkle' timestamp='1344046272' post='5996817']
IMO, Twilight Princess is definitely not the best. It fell a bit short of the other titles. Also your list is missing Link's Awakening.
[/quote]
How about:

[quote name='Dr. Cakey!!' timestamp='1344006012' post='5996263']I mean, you don't see Nintendo picking a best Zelda game, even though the best one is obviously [s][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Legend_of_Zelda_games"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Legend_of_Zelda_games[/url][/s][/quote]

[quote name='Expelsword - 黎明' timestamp='1344007148' post='5996272']
It kind of makes me angry how many times FINAL FANTASY IV was released...
[/quote]

[spoiler=What?]
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/3466u8g.jpg[/img]

Oh really?[/spoiler]

IV was good though, IMO.

As for a VII remake, part of its charm is the retroness, and its not like the controls need a massive overhaul like the early ones did when remade; they are not as fiddly and awkward to navigate through screens, etc. I dunno, I recently played through it all again and it was wonderful to do so (apart from the end scenes, which seemed really weak playing through this time).

Still, you have reminded me I need to borrow Dirge of Cerberus of someone though. Just cuz.

[quote name='Majestic Star Bahamut' timestamp='1344056276' post='5996991']
Still, you have reminded me I need to borrow Dirge of Cerberus of someone though. Just cuz.
[/quote]
Or The Dark Id could[url="http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII-Dirge-of-Cerberus/"] play it for you[/url]. And it will be 255 times better.

[spoiler=Useless banter]Honestly I was never a fan of VII enough to really care for a remake in any way. I found I, II, and III to be utterly boring and V and VI just drove me from the series further. When I played VII I did feel that the storyline was far superior to anything of its time but it just didn't click right for me. I felt the same way with VIII too, characters were memorable but it just didn't click with me.
Now if any Final Fantasy should be remade it should be IX, it had a storyline and a universe that utterly captured my attention with no second thoughts. With superior graphics and new gameplay mechanics a remake would be excellent. Or make a remake of IV, I absolutely loved that one but honestly I am tired of the re-releases and would rather prefer a remake.

Now I know this is going to sound extremely silly, but what if SE remade FFX? I know how that sounds but I mean that game was one of the most legendary games to come in FF lore and it has been 12 years since it release. I mean when I play the game now and see the graphics and gameplay I kind of feel like a remake would be awesome.

Maybe they could make a merged game between FFX and FFX-2 considering I love both games this would be excellent. It would be a game containing both games REMADE in one disc! However this would cost too much money I am sure and that idea just sounds like a hopeless dream to me.[/spoiler]
If anything should be on Nomura's priority list it should be these three things.
Kingdom Hearts 3
Final Fantasy XIII Versus
AND I WANT A MOTHERF*CKING MUSASHI 3!

In my personal opinion, vii wasn't there best. I mean sure, props on being the first 3D final fantasy and all, but come on, the story wasn't all the great. The materia were a pain to master (although the sell price for a mastered all materia made me s*** bricks). My favorite, regardless of it's down right crappy sequel, is FFX. First to have way better defined graphics, a sport mini game that you could actually get into (and made wakka op to an extent), and a multitude of hidden and extra bosses for those wanting a challenge. All vii had in that department were the weapons, an those things had nothing on nemesis. But i digress, vii did have it's good moments. All in all, every final fantasy, no matter how good or bad they were as a whole, has their saving grace. Even the ever so horrid (by popular opinion, not my own) FFxii has the hardest boss in final fantasy existence, yiazmat. 51 million hp and op as heck. lol

Archived