Composing Music

Forums and Card Games

[quote name='みゆきサン' timestamp='1349999791' post='6042558']
Umm...well...VGMs generally follow the classic I-V-IV-vii* (that's supposed to be a diminished sign)-I cadence, or any inverse chords of that, really. But generally, I just write whatever comes to mind.
[/quote]

Never heard that chord progression before (Mario's Game Over theme using I-IV-VII°-I is the only similar one I can think of).

Video game music shall always depend on the game in question. As a composer, your duty is to learn about as many styles as possible in order to really achieve and be versatile. The most common genres I can think of are rock (especially in 2D fighters and big company games), electro (in a lot of indie games), and by extension, chiptune (retro-styled games; often indie), and, importantly, Neoclassical and orchestrated (in a lot of games). You find other genres like Eastern music in Okami but they're less common.

You have to have a grasp of Classical composing and also pop music composing really. A lot of it is free rein though.

I agree with .Rai on this one. If you want to compose video game music you really need to A. know what your game is about. B. The tone you want to set this game as (metal,rock,pop, etc) This still depends on the game, but it is your choice. C. know how to make a good song. No one wants bad video game songs. I advise you to really take your time with this. I write as well, but when I write I have to be in a calm environment, and I can't just randomly write ( that's what JB does, and that is why he fails), I have to have this feeling. I guess you can say it has to SPEAK to you. And it just kinda comes on it's own after that. Oh and don't forget before you start try finding a style. It helps you compose, and it makes your songs sound put together. Good luck. ;DD

Archived