Grand Magician

Just Crouton

For MonsterMash.dek.

[IMG]http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac187/Deraj_2010/GrandMagician.jpg[/IMG]
[color=#ff8c00][b]Grand Magician[/b][/color]
During your End Phase: You can discard this card. If this card is in your Graveyard, along with 2 or more other monsters, and there are no Spell/Trap Cards in your Graveyard: You can shuffle 2 other monsters in your Graveyard into the Deck; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. When this card declares an attack, send 1 monster from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard. You can only control 1 "Grand Magician".

It's balanced, has good ATK and is easy to get onto the field. I'm unsure if people would play it often due to the "no spells/traps" clause but for memory there are decks where that would work... or could you chain macro? I'm certain there are ways of dealing with that. Either way your card is well made, I personally wouldn't use it but I like it.

[quote name='BlackRose0202' timestamp='1350971592' post='6051471']
What combos did you make this card for? Im trying to find use but cant seem to find any

What combos did you make this card for? Im trying to find use but cant seem to find any
[/quote]

Monster Mash. It's a deck that runs only monsters, and is pretty good (not competitive, though.)

There's way easier ways to gain monster to your deck, having a 2 tribute with an effect that sends it to the graveyard, which the opponent can easily get it banished by cards like Dimensional Fissure, plus that you have to discard to attack with it, makes it useless. I'm not really sure, but does the Special Summon effect only work if it has been sent to the Graveyard by it's own effect, or is it always? If always, it becomes a little bit more useful.

I think the card is rather tame and not much I can comment on since I've seen this sort of thing before plenty of time.

Delayed Special Summon = balance, with some Exodius (or every other monster that dumps).

EDIT: Actually, upon re-reading it and actually paying attention this time, I change my mind. It's still tame, but it's not a delayed Special Summon, you just could dump it literally any other way and Special Summon it while retrieving monsters.

So it can:
- Summon itself from death every turn if you have "cost" to pay.
- Recycle monsters
- Search monsters and make them available for whatever Graveyard usage you want.

I'm honestly not sure, part of me wants to say it's too much with the Self-Resurrection each turn part, but another part of me says I already made this card but doesn't want check through my 1500+ cards to look for it. I've certainly used all 3 of those mechanics on various cards already, just not sure if i put it all on the same card.

Maybe if the number of monsters you recycle was HIGHER, you would get a bigger recycle pay off, but it would take longer to achieve the number and it would never go in a deck where you wanted to dump monster anyway, since you would have to lose whatever you were dumping PRIOR to the summon to resurrect this card. Thus the risk to your own strategy is higher, which equals a balancing point. Yes, make it like 4 or even 5 monsters that get returned to the Deck and you get to keep all the effects. Maybe even make it that you can't Normal Summon or Set it, that would really settle it since you can't just drop the card normally and use it like an Exodius with 2500 ATK base. That's really the effect that pushes this card over a bit.

The No Magic/Trap part is interesting because it makes it harder to use, but then also makes it never see play beyond Normal Summoning it to use it for the Dumping Effect (the Special Summon part might never see activation in most decks with most people's way of playing). Really don't know if you should ditch it or not; it depends on if the payoff is worth it. [u][b]Would need some ACTUAL playtesting and not just making the card and having people judge it on imagination.[/b][/u]

It might be just fine as it is after just playing it in a real duel (as in a [u]proxy duel[/u], or maybe YVD) but on paper, it might look like more than it is.

I will, for once, comment on the art choice since it's fanart of [u][b]Kamen Rider Wizard[/b][/u] (and I love that show) and it hasn't even been on the air that long (6-7 weeks if I remember) for there to be such nice fanart of it.

At first I misread the restriction as "no S/T on the field" and was about to post how this card would go really well in "Frognarchs" and in pretty much any Deck that doesn't rely on Fields or Continous Spell/Traps, but then I noticed that is the grave which has to be free of S/T.

So, my suggestion would be to precisely change the restriction to no S/Ts on the field. It would still work wonders in Monster Mash Decks as you intended, while also being playable in other Decks.

Also, I see what you did with the ATK/DEF and Level of "Grand Magician".

Archived