Sanctuary of Soul - The ultimate Graveyard Recovery card

Neutrality Man

Hello, today I bring you a card that recovers cards from the Graveyard, all of them, provided they were sent during the same turn it is played.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/2jWmV.jpg[/img]
Lore (Get some damn glasses ;P): All cards sent to the Graveyard during the turn this card is activated are returned to the owner's hand during the End Phase.

I have a friend working on becoming a Konami judge, and when he was told about the card... and shown it... his reaction was as follows:
[quote]Banned, BANNED, SUPER-BANNED, MEGA-BANNED. BANNED.[b]BANNED.[i]BANNED[/i].[i][u]BANNED[/u][/i].[size=7][u][i]BANNED[/i][/u][/size][/b]. [/quote]
The only reason I put it in Realistic, is that it's only Ban-level broken if used well, and it is still possible to burn it uselessly.

Your friend would be correct. The most common way I can see this being played is during your opponent's turn. Any monsters that your opponent works hard to destroy are returned to the hand, so you can combo and destroy them next turn, you can exhaust your backrow and use it again in all its brokenness next turn, and your opponent cannot use graveyard combos. Yeah, super broken, really bad design, 1/10

[quote name='Archlord Sora' timestamp='1351365656' post='6055057']
Your friend would be correct. The most common way I can see this being played is during your opponent's turn. Any monsters that your opponent works hard to destroy are returned to the hand, so you can combo and destroy them next turn, you can exhaust your backrow [b]and use it again in all its brokenness next turn[/b], and your opponent cannot use graveyard combos. Yeah, super broken, really bad design, 1/10
[/quote]
Oh s***. I totally missed that. It's not really supposed to return ITSELF. I'll fix that right away.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/pLs8d.jpg[/img]

It's still broken no matter how many times you try to fix it. The card allows you to regain resources of any card for no cost whatsoever for Christ's sake. At least change it to monsters only so people won't have the ability to keep on recycling Spell / Trap Cards like Solemn Judgment / Warning / Monster Reborn / Heavy Storm etc. etc. And add a cost to it, as even with monster only recycling, it's still broken to get monsters back to your hand for doing pretty much nothing at all.

Isn't this card creating a "state"?

It says "this turn" so it seems to not matter when you activate this card, it will return cards that were sent before you activated it and ones that will be sent after.

Even if you didn't intend that, this is how it is written.

So yeah, every Magic will activate will return, all Traps that resolve will return, any monster killed, Release, used for a Synchro Summon.

BTW-- Ever though you added "except this card", you can still activate a SECOND of this card to return the first one and have them recycle each other INFINITELY and thus getting your cards back, INFINITELY.

So the change should be "[i]All cards, except "Sanctuary of Soul"...[/i]"

[quote name='Archlord Sora' timestamp='1351439808' post='6055595']
@Shinobi
Trying to amend this card in any way is pointless. It's a broken card, and that's all there is to it.
[/quote]

Doesn't mean I shouldn't correct the mechanics of the card so he learns better. That is still the point of all this. To not comment on it and help fix it just because we think it's broken doesn't help anyone.

I did say everything this card is doing and it's even worse that it is creating a state, so it is getting back even cards sent after you activate the card. Fixing it is possible.

I would like the creator to explain to us what his intentions are and how HE would use his own card and how he sees it "burning it itself uselessly" as he stated. He said it, but never said HOW that happens, so he must have had some thoughts in mind on his own card being beaten.

Well, I'm an idiot. I think you actually gave me the fix as to how "uselessly burning itself off" can happen. I really phrased the card poorly and my mistakes made it 10000 times stronger. I believe all those advices add up to this errata:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/QrKha.jpg[/img]

As to my thoughts on it being beaten... you mean you guys don't run 3 Dark Bribes in every deck? Further, Macro Cosmos and Degenerate Circuit both use the banish pile to null this card from their activatio onwards. Degenerate Ciruit will make this card start banishing stuff, and Macro Cosmos skips the middle man and puts everything out of its reach in the Banish Pile,

[quote name='Chaos Knux' timestamp='1351443479' post='6055661']
Well, I'm an idiot. I think you actually gave me the fix as to how "uselessly burning itself off" can happen. I really phrased the card poorly and my mistakes made it 10000 times stronger. I believe all those advices add up to this errata:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/QrKha.jpg[/img]

As to my thoughts on it being beaten... you mean you guys don't run 3 Dark Bribes in every deck?
[/quote]

No... that's [u][b]not[/b][/u] what any of us said to do.

No one is going to activate multiple of these in the same turn. Why would you? It creates a state, so using multiple in the same turn in redundant.

The problem (among others) with your card is that it can RETURN other copies of itself. Hence my fix.

I shouldn't have to explain this, but I said you should have it say "[b][i]All cards, except [/i][/b][u][b][i]"Sanctuary of Soul"...[/i][/b][/u]" because using one Sanctuary WHILE one is in your Graveyard will put one in your hand and the other will go into your Graveyard because you JUST USED IT. Next turn, you will activate the returned Sanc, returning all cards including the FIRST Sanc. You just switched one for the other. You will repeat this AGAIN next turn and next turn and next turn and next turn... to infinity.

What you put is not the same thing at all.

I will say I noticed ONE weakness to this card. It says return ALL cards sent to the Graveyard, so that would include opponent's cards, so if you use it during their turn to protect your monsters and cards that will get killed, it will also return any of your opponent's cards used and sent (monsters Released, sent to the Graveyard, Magic and Traps used for whatever reason).

Example: Opponent cleans your field with a Lightning Vortex, at the End Phase, both the card used as cost and Lightning Vortex itself is returned to your opponent's hand.

I agree with what everyone above said. The card is broken. Any sort of Deck that has some sort of Turbo ability gains a massive hand advantage at the end of the turn, their hand is completely replenished, more than replenished as they will have likely 7+ cards in their hand. All the cards they used to accomplish their massive combos are brought back. Exodia Deck users no longer have to fear sending their pieces to the Graveyard for Hand Destruction and etc. (except that they possibly risk D.D. Crow, but that's not used quite so often any more).

I suggest that you put a massive cost on it (like paying half your Life Points or even paying 3000 - 4000 Life Points), then, limit it to only monsters being returned to the hand and even putting a limit on the number of monsters returned, like a maximum of 4 (not that much of a limit, but it is necessary in my opinion and also prevents cases like Infinite Cards and Fabled cards being discarded).

The Life Points cost limits its abuse in Turbo Synchro/Shooting Quasar Decks (and in most other Decks) because it is actually counter-productive to lose Life Points, unlike for Exodia Decks which don't care. The limit to only monsters is [i]very[/i] important, there is a reason why Monster Reborn/Dark Hole/Heavy Storm and etc. is Limited, it's so you can generally only use it once.

Version 4 Lore breakdown:
[quote]During this turn,[/quote]
The "state" reverts to normalcy when the next player's turn starts.
[quote] all cards, except "Sanctuary of Soul", [/quote]
Can't return copies of itself, returns opponent resources too.
[quote]sent to the Graveyard[/quote]
Has to have been sent to the Grave, Macro Cosmos, Banisher of the Light, and Banisher of the Radiance block the effect via Banish Pile.
[quote]after this card is activated[/quote]
Cards sent that turn before the card is played won't be returned.
[quote] are returned to the owner's hand during the End Phase.[/quote]
Your turn ends when you retrieve from the Grave.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Stopping posting images until something worth it is made.

Activate only by paying 2000 Life Points and Banishing one level 8 or higher Monster Card from your Graveyard. During this turn, all cards, except "Sanctuary of Soul", sent to the Graveyard after this card is activated are returned to the owner's hand during the End Phase. You must still discard cards until you have 6 cards in your hand if this effect results in a hand of 7 cards or more, ignoring the effect of "Infinite Cards"..

Version 5 Lore changes breakdown:
[quote]Activate only by paying 2000 Life Points and Banishing one level 8 or higher Monster Card from your Graveyard.[/quote]
Large activation cost of good monster and 2000 LP.
[quote]You must still discard cards until you have 6 cards in your hand if this effect results in a hand of 7 cards or more, ignoring the effect of "Infinite Cards".[/quote]
Hand advantage problem nulled.

But it still is a huge advantage for Exodia Deck players, I'm meaning the Exodia Decks that run Dragons. If you are unaware, those Exodia Decks use "Trade-In" and "Cards of Consonance" with "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" and "White Stone of Legend" so it is more than easy for that Deck to use this card.

Archived