Photo

Variabili - a complex, innovative counter-based archetype

- - - - - variabili ambush tribe bleaknight complex innovative custom cards koaki meiru cloudian spell counter full defense

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Bleaknight

Bleaknight

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
    Last Visit Nov 21 2016 09:20 PM
The Variabili are a new archetype I came up with. Their concept revolves around really strong monsters (stat- and effect-wise) with low levels that require constant managing of resources to be kept on the field, and for their effects to be activate. Their effects also constantly "mutate": all of them have two. One of each can only be activated during your Main Phase, and has a Spell Speed of 1, and another one that can be activated at any time except during your Main Phase, and has Spell Speed 2. Their Spells/Traps relate to the monsters, and also sometimes obey the same "unstability" concept. They are based/inspired on the Koa'ki Meiru and Cloudian archetypes, also drawing inspiration from the Spell Counter archetype. Here they come!

Variabili Beasts - the monsters

Variabili Spells

Variabili Traps

Feedback is greatly accepted, please comment!
Also check out my other archetypes
The Ambush Tribe
The Full Defense

Check out my custom created archetypes - all of them have images and are very nicely-done and original.
Full Defense / Variabili / Ambush Tribe / Strife / Dwarves / Riposte /

Hellspawn / Retribution

Bleaknight

Bleaknight

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Bump!

Check out my custom created archetypes - all of them have images and are very nicely-done and original.

Hellspawn / Retribution

Supertramp

Supertramp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
    Last Visit Aug 17 2013 06:57 AM
I did't read all cards until now, but I already have a question that concerns all monsters, I think:

Destroy this card unless you remove 2 Varial Counters from it or discard 1 "Variabili" card, or if there are no Varial Counters on this card.

So it doesn't get destroyed if there are no Varial Counters on it? Then the monsters are overpowered, because they have a very high ATK for their Level and no negative effect. Or at least altogether a better effect than Normal Monsters.

Other than that they look really interesting and innovative, you didn't exaggerate. I'll read the other ones and reply to all cards, if I know the answer ;)
My Signature Cards

My first finished set: "Living Trap"

6812-ruffysig2-kopie.jpg

Bleaknight

Bleaknight

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

I did't read all cards until now, but I already have a question that concerns all monsters, I think:
So it doesn't get destroyed if there are no Varial Counters on it? Then the monsters are overpowered, because they have a very high ATK for their Level and no negative effect. Or at least altogether a better effect than Normal Monsters.
Other than that they look really interesting and innovative, you didn't exaggerate. I'll read the other ones and reply to all cards, if I know the answer ;)

Actually, they are destroyed. You destroy them if x, or if y, as the effect says, with "y" being the monster not having any counters. They will be destroyed unless they have 3 or more counters or you discard 1 Variabili card.
Thanks for the feedback so far!

Hellspawn / Retribution

Supertramp

Supertramp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hmm.. seems that my English is worse than I thought ^^'
So you mean that if there are 2 Counters on it and you remove these 2 Counters in the End Phase, it still gets destroyed because now it has no Counters anymore?
And if it has no Counters in the End Phase, you also cannot avert the destruction by discarding 1 Variabily card, right?

Now I'm even more confused xD
My Signature Cards

6812-ruffysig2-kopie.jpg

Bleaknight

Bleaknight

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Hmm.. seems that my English is worse than I thought ^^'
So you mean that if there are 2 Counters on it and you remove these 2 Counters in the End Phase, it still gets destroyed because now it has no Counters anymore?

Correct.

And if it has no Counters in the End Phase, you also cannot avert the destruction by discarding 1 Variabily card, right?
Now I'm even more confused xD

Incorrect, you can avoid their destruction either way by discarding 1 Variabili card. However, I see your point, their wording is confusing as is.

Hellspawn / Retribution

Supertramp

Supertramp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Alright. Well, now I finally read through all cards.
First of all, I the artwork of your set is gorgeous, great job. Only the pictures of the Spell Cards are too similar in my opinion.
And as I said before, i love the concept of your set, it is really innovative. I also like the way you created the Spell & Trap Cards with revealing ect, trying to ensure a constant distribution of Varial Counters.
If I had to guess, I'd say these cards are altogether a little bit overpowered. But it is really hard (for me) to say if this whole set is balanced or not, mainly because of 2 reasons: 1. I haven't seen any archetype by now that is even a little similar to this archetype. 2. Those cards are really confusing, especially the monsters, because of their complexity and because some cards seem pretty similar.
And that second point is actually the only bigger critique I have. After reading, if you'd give me the name and picture of a card I probably could not tell now what it does.
But yet, I'd love to play with a Variabili Deck. I give your whole set a 9/10. Awesome :)
My Signature Cards

6812-ruffysig2-kopie.jpg

BLS - EOTB

BLS - EOTB

Fresh Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
    Last Visit May 09 2014 09:08 AM
That artwork is so f**king amazing...
Posted ImagePosted Image

KitoMP

KitoMP

Member of Ilune

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
    Last Visit Jan 22 2019 03:24 PM
Great artwork, innovative, interesting... yeah, it's pretty good. 8.5/10

Check out all my sets!!!
http://forum.yugiohc...cal-realm-3240/- Mystical Set
http://forum.yugiohc...god-protectors/- God Protectors

If you liked, comment; if you did not like, comment; if you have not read, comment; anyway, comment.

Bleaknight

Bleaknight

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Alright. Well, now I finally read through all cards.
First of all, I the artwork of your set is gorgeous, great job. Only the pictures of the Spell Cards are too similar in my opinion.
And as I said before, i love the concept of your set, it is really innovative. I also like the way you created the Spell & Trap Cards with revealing ect, trying to ensure a constant distribution of Varial Counters.
If I had to guess, I'd say these cards are altogether a little bit overpowered. But it is really hard (for me) to say if this whole set is balanced or not, mainly because of 2 reasons: 1. I haven't seen any archetype by now that is even a little similar to this archetype. 2. Those cards are really confusing, especially the monsters, because of their complexity and because some cards seem pretty similar.
And that second point is actually the only bigger critique I have. After reading, if you'd give me the name and picture of a card I probably could not tell now what it does.
But yet, I'd love to play with a Variabili Deck. I give your whole set a 9/10. Awesome :)

Thanks for the feedback! I've played with this deck a bit (there's a simulator which accepts created cards that I use to play against people sometimes) and, even though I do agree that even to me they seem a bit overpowered at times, varial counter distribution is harder than it seems, based on the little bit I've played with them. Sometimes they can get pretty stagnant, like, you start generating just as much counters as you need to keep them alive and nothing else. I still need to test them further though. The Variabili are probably the archetype I'm most proud of creating, lol.
And yeah, I understand about the Spells/Traps having similar art. It couldn't really be that much different, to be honest; all of them have a galaxy/planets theme, and you don't see that much room for innovation keeping that theme, I guess. At least when nearly all of your art comes from Deviantart.
And I agree again, they are very confusing given how big their effects are and stuff, but that's just really their idea, can't change that.

Hellspawn / Retribution

BishopBlade

BishopBlade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
    Last Visit May 04 2014 11:52 AM
I am still amazed at the artwork of this set. This is the best artwork I've ever seen :D

Bleaknight

Bleaknight

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

I am still amazed at the artwork of this set. This is the best artwork I've ever seen :D

Well thank you sir. Kind of made easy when any Space Art in Deviantart is amazing and when I can use pretty much any random savage monster I want for the monster pictures.

Hellspawn / Retribution

BishopBlade

BishopBlade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
    Last Visit May 04 2014 11:52 AM

No problem

Bleaknight

Bleaknight

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Come on, up!

Hellspawn / Retribution

Bleaknight

Bleaknight

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Up.

Hellspawn / Retribution

Bleaknight

Bleaknight

Advanced Member

• Topic Starter
  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Bump

Hellspawn / Retribution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users