Reptiliannes: Revised and reptiliated! [Version 0.3]

The [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Reptilianne"]Reptiliannes[/url] are a series of DARK Reptile-type monsters released in Stardust Overdrive and Absolute Powerforce. Their tactics primarily revolve around the idea of 0 ATK. A few of the monsters have 0 ATK, and the effects of the rest insure that the opponent's monsters' ATK are reduced to 0 and take advantage of that. Their Spells and Traps work well for what they intend, providing Tribute fodder and affecting their own ATK. On top of that, the entire Archetype itself is relatively cheap; Vaskii (the boss monster) being the rarest (a Rare). Plus, as Reptiles, they get all the support that the type provides (Vennominon/aga, Offerings to the Snake Deity, Alien Brain, etc etc).

Reptiliannes, being Reptiles, aren't the most splashable of monsters, but their lack of type or Attribute reliance means that they can be mixed with other decks. Of course, their best combination currently is with another Reptile deck, specifically a Vennominon centered build, but they can mesh with other builds.

NOTE: As much as I love them, they don't hold a candle to meta decks. So don't expect to top Nats with them or anything ludicrous like that.

[spoiler='Monsters']

●[i] Reptilianne Gardna
Level 4
WATER
Reptile
ATK 0/DEF 2000
When this card you control is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard; add 1 "Reptilianne" monster from your Deck to your hand.[/i]

Loose activation costs, wide range of search, high DEF, this is your main searcher. Run at least 2, if not 3, in any build.

● [i]Reptilianne Gorgon
Level 3
DARK
Reptile
ATK 1400/DEF 1400
If this card attacks an opponent's monster, after damage calculation the ATK of the attack target becomes 0, and it cannot change its battle position.[/i]

The first option for making your opponent's monsters have 0 ATK, and one of the possible beatsticks the deck can produce. Not a bad card on its own, but outclassed in either field. Run 1 if you care enough to fit it in at all.

● [i]Reptilianne Medusa
Level 6
Reptile
ATK 2200/DEF 800
Send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard and select 1 face-up monster your opponent controls. The ATK of the selected monster becomes 0, and it cannot change its battle position.[/i]

The second option for making your opponent's monsters have 0 ATK. Basic, yet somewhat useful effect. Decent ATK, and fills the Grave (always good). Run 1 or 2 (but personally, I'd lean toward 1).

● [i]Reptilianne Naga
Level 1
Reptile
ATK 0/DEF 0
This card cannot be destroyed by battle. The ATK of any monster that battles this card becomes 0 at the end of that Battle Phase. During your End Phase, change this face-up Defense Position card on the field to face-up Attack Position.[/i]

The final, and by far best option for making your opponent's monsters have 0 ATK. Sets up nice and quick for Vaskii, can defend rather well on her first turn out, and can scare your opponent into not attacking her even when she's in Attack Position. One of the key cards in any Reptilianne deck. Run 2-3, recommended 3.

● [i]Reptilianne Scylla
DARK
Reptile
ATK 1800/DEF 1200
If this card destroys a monster with 0 ATK by battle, you can Special Summon that monster from the Graveyard to your side of the field in face-up Defense Position. The effect(s) of that monster is negated.[/i]

The main beatstick. 1800 is a rather modest ATK, and its Goyo-like effect isn't unappreciated. Run 2.

● [i]Reptilianne Servant
DARK
Reptile
ATK 100/DEF 100
Destroy this card if there are face-up monsters on the field other than this card. Destroy this card when it is targeted by the effect of a Spell or Trap Card. Neither player can Normal Summon a monster while this card is face-up on the field.[/i]

Terrible. While its last effect screams "LOCKDOWN!", its first few effects scream "BAD!" Don't run any, unless it's in its own build, which isn't a Reptilianne build and will not be covered in this guide.

● [i]Reptilianne Vaskii
Level 8
DARK
Reptile
ATK 2600/DEF 0
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by Tributing 2 face-up monsters with 0 ATK from anywhere on the field. Once per turn, you can select and destroy 1 face-up monster your opponent controls. There can only be 1 face-up "Reptilianne Vaskii" on the field.[/i]

The big boss. I like her. She's searchable with Gardna, has easy Summon requirements in a Reptilianne Deck (Naga + whatever ran into her), has high ATK, and a GREAT effect. Plus she can be used with Trade-In and Recurring Nightmare.
Run 2-3.

● [i]Reptilianne Viper
DARK
Reptile/Tuner
ATK 0/DEF 0
When this card is Normal Summoned, you can select and take control of 1 face-up monster with 0 ATK your opponent controls.[/i]

The Tuner of Reptilianne. Its Synchroability is limited only by what monsters you can take from your opponent (and what you have yourself). Run 2, 3 if you REALLY want to.

● [i]Reptilianne Hydra
Level 6
Reptile/Synchro
ATK 2100/DEF 1500
1 "Reptilianne" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned, destroy all face-up monsters with 0 ATK that your opponent controls, and draw 1 card for each monster destroyed.[/i]

Viper makes this thing really easy to get out, either with Scylla or with Viper's own effect Its effect, while helpful, might not be activated as often as one would think. Brionac's banning does give it a leg up, but it still has to compete with Gaia Knight for space. Run as many as you do Vipers, but not more than 2.

● [i]Vennominon The King of Poisonous Snakes
Level 8
DARK
Reptile
ATK 0/DEF 0
This card cannot be Special Summoned by another Effect Monster's effect. This card is unaffected by "Venom Swamp". This card gains 500 ATK for each Reptile-Type monster in your Graveyard. When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you can remove from play 1 other Reptile-Type monster in your Graveyard to Special Summon this card.[/i]

If you want a real beatstick, here's your man...er, snake. Can get ridiculously high with the right cards (Snake Rain etc) and does quite well in his own build. Run 2-3, 3 in his own build.

● [i]Dandylion
EARTH
Plant/Effect
Level 3
ATK 300/DEF 300
When this card is sent to the Graveyard, Special Summon 2 "Fluff Tokens" (Plant-Type/WIND/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position. These Tokens cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon during the turn they are Special Summoned.[/i]

Exceedingly handy as Synchro fodder, and as Token generation in a monster form, especially with the myriad ways Reptiliannes send things to the Graveyard. Everyone is saddened by its limiting.

●[i] Evil Dragon Ananta
Level 8
DARK
Reptile
ATK ?/DEF ?
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by removing from play all Reptile-Type monsters from your side of the field and Graveyard. This card's ATK and DEF are each equal to the number of Reptile-Type monsters you removed x 600. During each of your End Phases, destroy 1 card on the field.[/i]

I personally dislike this card. It basically annihilates your Graveyard resources (which Reptiliannes like a lot) and in exchange you get a beater that you can just as easily get with Vennominon. A possible play is to use it when you only have a few, and get a free pop out of it. Still, it has its uses, being at Trade-In and Allure target, as well as food for itself and Vennominon. Run 0 in any build except Vennominon, where you might want to run 1-2.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Spells']

Of course, all the usual staples (Mind Control, Monster Reborn, Dark Hole, Heavy Storm, Mystical Space Typhoon) ought to be run in Reptiliannes in their respective numbers (1 for everything except MST, which is run at 2/3).

● [i]Viper's Rebirth
Normal Spell
Activate only if all monsters in your Graveyard are Reptile-Type. Select 1 non-Tuner monster in your Graveyard. Special Summon it. Destroy it during the End Phase.[/i]

The basic revival card for Reptiliannes. Gets pretty much any of them (except for Viper and Vaskii). Handy for Tributes, or just letting it die (see Gardna and Vennominon) Run 1-3, depending on how many non-Reptiles you use (including Synchros).

● [i]Reptilianne Rage
Equip Spell
The equipped monster is treated as Reptile-Type. It gains 800 ATK. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, select 1 face-up monster your opponent controls. It loses 800 ATK.[/i]

I have no idea how the current format would treat this card, but it seems like it is too often a dead draw to see any real use. Run 0.

● [i]Reptilianne Spawn
Normal Spell
Remove from play 1 "Reptilianne" monster from your Graveyard. Special Summon 2 "Reptilianne Tokens" (Reptile-Type/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) to your side of the field.[/i]

Extremely versatile token generation. Easy to meet the conditions, easy to use the Tokens, easy to run. Run 2-3, if running no other token cards.

● [i]Fires of Doomsday
Quick-Play Spell
If you activate this card, you cannot Summon other monsters this turn. Special Summon 2 "Doomsday Tokens" (Fiend-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position. These tokens cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon, unless it is for a DARK monster.[/i]

The second option for Tokens. Has a faster activation speed than Spawn, but is a tad more limited in its conditon. Good nonetheless. Run 2, if running no other token cards.

● [i]Scapegoat
Quick-Play Spell[/i]
[i]Special Summon 4 "Sheep Tokens" (Beast-Type/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position. These Tokens cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon. You cannot Summon other monsters the turn you activate this card (but you can Set).[/i]

The third option for Tokens. Has limited uses due to the fact that it's...well, Limited. More tokens and its quickplay speed make up for it...mostly. Run 1 if running no other token cards.

●[i] Recurring Nightmare
Normal Spell
Target 2 DARK monsters with 0 DEF in your Graveyard; return them to your hand.[/i]

Useful Grave-grabbing. Only has 3 targets (5 in a Venom build), but they're your most important ones (Vaskii, Viper, and Naga). Run 2.

[i]● Trade-In
Normal Spell
Discard 1 Level 8 monster; Draw 2 cards.[/i]

Vaskii's Level 8. Vennominon's Level 8. Annanta's Level 8. Do the math. Run 3 if you run at least 6 Level 8s.

● [i]Burden of the Mighty
Continuous Spell
Each face-up monster your opponent controls loses 100 ATK x its own Level.[/i]

The second Continuous Spell that Reptiliannes like to run. It (obviously) make most Synchros killable and it weakens their monsters. However, sometimes the reduction is too insignificant for the deck to make use of it. Run 2 or 0.

● [i]Solidarity
Continuous Spell
If you have only 1 original (printed) Type of monster in your Graveyard, face-up monsters you control with the same Type gain 800 ATK.[/i]

The second Continuous Spell that Reptiliannes like to run. While it makes your beatsticks beat-stickier, the deck doesn't quite revolve around that aspect.

● [i]Snake Rain
Normal Spell
Discard 1 card. Select 4 Reptile-Type monsters from your Deck and send them to the Graveyard.[/i]

Only really useful in the Venom build, due to the fact that dumping for Reptiliannes isn't always the best idea. Run 2-3 in the Venom build.

● [i]Allure of Darkness
Normal Spell
Draw 2 cards, then banish 1 DARK monster from your hand, or, if you don't have any in your hand, send all cards in your hand to the Graveyard.[/i]

Similar to Scapegoat, the limiting of this card hurts, as draw power is precious. Run 1.

● [i]Book of Moon
Quick-Play Spell
Flip 1 face-up monster on the field into face-down Defense Position.[/i]

One of two battle-position changers. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. You could stop a potential attack by flipping their monster face-down, or you can use it on your own monsters; a massive difference over the opponent only Enemy Controller. Run 1.

● [i]Enemy Controller
Quick-Play Spell
Activate 1 of these effects.
● Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; change that target's battle position.
● Tribute 1 monster to target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; take control of that target until the End Phase.[/i]

The other option for battle position changers. Lacks the uniqueness and possibilities of Moon, but you can still do plenty with it. Run 1-2.

● [i]Creature Swap
Normal Spell
Each player chooses 1 monster they control and switches control of those monsters with each other. Those monsters cannot change their battle positions for the rest of this turn.[/i]

A useful card in certain builds. Swap a Gardna and get a free attack target, swap a Dandylion and get tokens, swap Naga for free damage, endless possibilities. Run 1-3.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Traps']

Similarly to Spells, staple cards are welcome in Reptilianne builds (Solemn Judgment/Warning, Bottomless Trap Hole, Torrential Tribute, etc)

● [i]Offerings to the Snake Deity
Normal Trap
Destroy 1 Reptile-Type monster you control and 2 cards your opponent controls.[/i]

Your main source of field clearing. Works well with Gardna and Viper's Rebirth (as the monster's going to die anyway). Run 2-3.

● [i]Limit Reverse
Continuous Trap
Select 1 monster with 1000 or less ATK from your Graveyard, and Special Summon it in Attack Position. If that monster is changed to Defense Position, destroy it and this card. When this card is removed from the field, destroy that monster. When that monster is destroyed, destroy this card.[/i]

Since Call of the Haunted is back at 3, this card takes a backseat. You can still use it to trigger Vennominon or Gardna, but its insane amount of usefulness has passed to Call of the Haunted. Run 2 in Vennominon.

● [i]Serpent Suppression
Continuous Trap
Face-up Attack Position monsters your opponent controls with 0 ATK cannot be destroyed by battle by "Reptilianne" monsters.[/i]

No. Just no. I personally despise this card, as it only serves as a sadistic means of giving your opponent advantage. Run 0.

● [i]Snake Whistle
Normal Trap
Activate only when a Reptile-Type monster you control is destroyed. Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Reptile-Type monster from your Deck.[/i]

Its lack of activation timing during the Damage Step castrates its usefulness. Run 0 or 2, if you can fit it.

● [i]Alien Brain
Activate only when a Reptile-Type monster you control is destroyed by battle with an opponent's attacking monster and sent to the Graveyard. Take control of the attacking monster, and treat it as a Reptile-Type monster.[/i]

If you can find space, it can be useful, but decks can run pretty well without it. Run 0-2, if you can fit it.

● [i]Ojama Trio
Normal Trap
Special Summon 3 "Ojama Tokens" (Beast-Type/LIGHT/Level 2/ATK 0/DEF 1000) in Defense Position on your opponent's side of the field. The tokens cannot be Tributed for a Tribute Summon. When an "Ojama Token" is destroyed, the controller of that token takes 300 points of damage.[/i]

Clog 3 spaces on your opponent's field, which you can then either use as Tribute fodder for Vaskii, pure advantage with Hydra, or just steal with Viper? Yes please. Run at least 1, 2 maybe.

[i]Starlight Road[/i]
[i]Normal Trap[/i]
[i]When a card or effect is activated that destroys 2 or more cards you control: Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card, then you can Special Summon 1 "Stardust Dragon" from your Extra Deck.[/i]

[i]The Huge Revolution is Over[/i]
[i]Counter Trap[/i]
[i]When a Spell Card, Trap Card, or Effect Monster's effect is activated that destroys 2 or more cards on the field: Negate the activation and banish it.[/i]

The two "backrow protectors" are both relevant in the deck, as you do end up keeping track of a few cards. Run 1-2 of either one, but not both.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Important Plays']
There are a number of useful combos that one can use with the Reptiliannes as a set. Here are a few basic ones. (NOTE: this is for Standard Reptiliannes only. As I figure out more decks, more combos will appear here.)

Naga + Vaskii
It's simple to execute, but relies on your opponent. They attack Naga, and Naga reduces their monster's ATK to 0. On your turn, you Tribute the affected monster and Naga, and Summon Vaskii. It's handy, and you can make back that -1 by killing a monster with Vaskii.

Medusa + Dandylion
Simple to activate this one as well. Target an opponent's monster with the effect of Medusa, discarding Dandylion. After everything is said and done, Dandylion activates, getting you tokens. These can be used in a variety of ways (as Quickdraw Dandylion can attest to).

Gardna + Creature Swap
Another simple one, but with a twist: Be sure to have Gardna in ATTACK POSITION. Activate Creature Swap, taking one of your opponent's monsters and giving them Gardna. Then, you can attack Gardna and guarantee some damage, along with keeping what monster your opponent had.

Viper + Gardna/Naga + Creature Swap
An extension of the previous combo, thanks to -Griffin for pointing it out to me. Essentially, after the above combo, Summon Viper and retake the monster that your opponent has. You get 2 monsters, your opponent has none. Simple, no?

Gardna + Offerings to the Snake Deity
Activate Offerings, selecting a face-up Gardna, and destroy 2 cards. Then, because of how Gardna is written, you can activate his effect and search for your monster.

More to come as I think of/remember them.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler='Rulings and other texts of note']
Here are a few specific rulings that one should remember as he plays Reptiliannes.

[b]If a monster with 0 ATK battles another monster with 0 ATK, neither monster is destroyed.[/b]
This is actually a lot more important than at first glance, as some of your main monsters have 0 ATK and one of them (Naga) ends up being in Attack Position and making monsters' ATK 0. It's simple to play around this ruling: DON'T ATTACK IF YOUR MONSTER'S ATK IS 0. See? Simple.

[b]Reptilianne Gardna's effect.[/b]
Remember, Gardna says that if it is [b]under your control[/b] when it is destroyed, you can search. Be sure to remember this before you Swap it to your opponent.

[b]The first effect of "Reptillianne Naga" is activated even if it is destroyed during the Damage Step.[/b]
This is actually fairly significant, because that means that Naga can be destroyed by battle, and have its effect activate in the Graveyard, thus proving that one of Reptilianne's key cards is unaffected (on a whole) by Skill Drain.

[b]Reptilianne Vaskii's Summon Conditions[/b]
Note when reading Vaskii's effect it says that you can Tribute monsters on EITHER side of the field. This is what make Vaskii so good, as you can use your opponent's monsters as Tributes. Remember this when you think Vaskii is a dead card. It is also important to note that Vaskii has similar summoning conditions to [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Lava_Golem"]Lava Golem[/url] and [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Volcanic_Queen"]Volcanic Queen[/url].
[/spoiler]

[i]Hey Cake,[/i] I hear you ask, [i]this guide is cool and all, but it's a little sparse.[/i]
You're absolutely right, italics, hence why that 0.3 is up at the top of the thread. It's been edited a little, updated with PSCT for the cards that have it (and eventually I'll write the text for all of them so that they'll all have it, even if their IRL counterparts don't) but otherwise the information is still the same, and I still have the same builds as I did two years ago when I originally wrote this guide. Hence why this paragraph is here in the first place.

To put it simply, I need help with everything here.

Testing, techs, new builds, typo fixes, whatever. I need contributions, as I can't do all of this on my own. If you have a suggestion or even if something pops into your head, PLEASE POST IT. The worst you'll get back is a polite "no" and +1 post for both of us. The best you'll recieve is my eternal gratitude and a veritable shower of reps.

EDIT: I will give someone three quarters of my points to make a nice banner for the guide. It's gotta involve Reptiliannes in some way.

And with that, I'll leave it to YCM.

[quote name='newhat' timestamp='1351888653' post='6059692']
Not too bad. There's a build that relies on burn damage with KA-2 Des Scissors and Masked Chopper, but it's not very good. Is this the place to mention the Neptune lockdown?
[/quote]

EDIT: I looked on the wiki. Not really, considering that the win condition is totally independent from what Reptiliannes aim to do.

Archived