Anti Obelisk the Tormentor

Yatamoto32

I remember at YCS Sheffield my mate was playing this German guy and the guy just looked at his hand and said "you have out to obeleesk?", then summoned it and won, so now every time someone summons Obelisk at my locals they say that.

Anyway, it's quite a pain to get round really, your best bet is probably Dark Hole.

[quote name='Kabbles' timestamp='1353662281' post='6076117']
I remember at YCS Sheffield my mate was playing this German guy and the guy just looked at his hand and said "you have out to obeleesk?", then summoned it and won, so now every time someone summons Obelisk at my locals they say that.

Anyway, it's quite a pain to get round really, your best bet is probably Dark Hole.
[/quote]
The sad reality is that most people actually don't have an out to Obelisk except Dark Hole or Torrentialing their own summon. All of their traps negate the summon or destroy upon summoning.

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1353689836' post='6076259']
Yeah, really any cards that destroy stuff. Generic staples. No problem, except for the other guy. 3 monsters to summon a card that gets destroyed the next second.
[/quote]
The only real staples that can kill him are Dark Hole and Mirror Force. You could also count Smashing Ground on that, but it's not that common.

Staples are only the BASIC option.

You realize that there are loads of cards out there that destroy other cards? Obelisk isn't immune to destructive spells or traps that stop battles, or anything else, really.

Then there are monsters that you could be using in the deck, stuff like Limiter Removal, Riryoku, and several other less common cards.

Heck, even Exiled Force can beat him single-handed.

[quote name='Randomflyingobjects' timestamp='1353728985' post='6076637']
Heck, even Exiled Force can beat him single-handed.
[/quote]

No, it can't. Obelisk can't be targeted. That's why it's hard to kill him. You would need something that can destroy/banish/return him to hand or deck without targeting it. Apart from Mirror Force and Dark Hole, what more people use frequently that can do so? The best way to kill him is by battle, but nearly only Machine and LIGHT Decks can manage that with consistency. Of course, now with Garunix on the game, Obelisk has a big headache to deal with thanks to its effect, but he still has more ATK than it... And even if you manage to kill him, he can be brought back, albeit for one turn only, though it could easily obliterate the opponent in that turn, specially in late game.

It's actually a really good card if you can bring it out. The fact that the Summon is not negate-able [i]and [/i]you can't stop it with most things makes it really, really difficult to get around. If you're running it, and you save your Starlight Road until its on the field, the play that could get around it becomes impossible, and it's almost always going to be game at that point.

[quote name='- Neo -' timestamp='1353991567' post='6078990']
It's actually a really good card if you can bring it out. The fact that the Summon is not negate-able [i]and [/i]you can't stop it with most things makes it really, really difficult to get around. If you're running it, and you save your Starlight Road until its on the field, the play that could get around it becomes impossible, and it's almost always going to be game at that point.
[/quote] ...That's not what happens when [i]I [/i]use it... always destroyed very quickly.

Though if it is that good, and I'm just unlucky, I should go back to that deck, huh?

Archived