Full Defense V2 - when the best offense is a good defense

Bleaknight

This is the Full Defense, an archetype based around being in defense position and gaining effects (and attacking!) this way, while also disrupting your opponent.
This is actually a finer, more polished version of the archetype - thus "V2". I scrapped many less useful cards and created some new ones while also polishing older ones. Here you go!

[spoiler='Monsters']
--------- Level 4 Monsters

full%20defense%20lioncrest.jpg
If this card is Normal Summoned, it is changed to Defense Position. When this card is manually changed to Attack Position: If it is in Attack Position, add 1 Level 5 or lower "Full Defense" monster from your Deck to your hand. This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.

full%20defense%20hatchet.jpg
If this card is Normal Summoned, it is changed to Defense Position. When this card is manually changed to Attack Position: Target up to 2 other face-up monsters; if this card is in Defense Position, change their battle positions. This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.

full%20defense%20giant.jpg
If this card is Normal Summoned, it is changed to Defense Position. When this card is manually changed to Attack Position: If it is in Attack Position, add 1 "Ironclad" card from your Deck to your hand. This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.

full%20defense%20orc.jpg
If this card is Normal Summoned, it is changed to Defense Position. When this card is manually changed to Attack Position: Target 1 Level 4 "Full Defense" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it in Attack Position, but it will be destroyed during the End Phase. This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.

full%20defense%20army.jpg
When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard: Change the monster that destroyed it to Defense Position, also Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Full Defense" monster from your Deck in face-up Defense Position.

full%20defense%20excalibur.jpg
If you Normal Summon a "Full Defense" monster: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If you do: During this turn, this card cannot be used as Xyz Material, but you can manually change the battle position of a "Full Defense" monster you control once again, and if you do, return this card to the hand.

-------- Rank 4 Xyz Monsters
full%20defense%20shieldlust.jpg
2 Level 4 "Full Defense" monsters
While this card has Xyz Material, if a "Full Defense" monster you control is manually changed to Attack Position: After its effects have resolved (if any), change it to face-up Defense Position. When a "Full Defense" monster is targeted for an attack: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; change the attacking monster to Defense Position. This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.

full%20defense%20crown.jpg
2 Level 4 "Full Defense" monsters
While this card has Xyz Material, when a monster effect resolves, immediately change it to Defense Position (during the Chain), except "Full Defense" monsters. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; increase the original DEF of all "Full Defense" monsters you control by 300. This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.

full%20defense%20stonewall.jpg
3 Level 4 "Full Defense" monsters
While this card has Xyz Material, any monster that is Summoned is changed to Defense Position. You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card; Xyz Summon 1 Rank 5 "Full Defense" Xyz Monster using this card as the Xyz Material, except "Full Defense Uberlord". This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.

--------- Level 5 monsters
full%20defense%20blacksteel.jpg
If this card is Normal Summoned, it is changed to Defense Position. When this card is manually changed to Attack Position: Target 1 face-up Defense Position monster your opponent controls; if this card is in Defense Position, destroy that target. This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.

full%20defense%20sapphire.jpg
If this card is Normal Summoned, it is changed to Defense Position. When this card is manually changed to Attack Position: Target 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls; if this card is in Defense Position, destroy it. This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.

full%20defense%20explorer.jpg

If this card is Normal Summoned, it is changed to Defense Position. When this card is manually changed to Attack Position: Special Summon 1 monster from your Graveyard whose DEF is higher than its ATK. This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.

------- Rank 5 Xyz Monsters

full%20defense%20bladewall.jpg
2 Level 5 "Full Defense" monsters
While this card has Xyz Material, when a Defense Position "Full Defense" monster you control destroys an opponent's monster by battle, you can change it to Attack Position, and if you do, it can attack once again in a row. During either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; switch the original ATK and DEF of all face-up monsters currently on the field until the End Phase. This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.

full%20defense%20betelgeuse.jpg
2 Level 5 "Full Defense" monsters
While this card has Xyz Material, negate the effects of all Defense Position monsters your opponent controls. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; change all monsters you control to Defense Position. This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.

full%20defense%20uberlord.jpg
3 Level 5 "Full Defense" monsters
While this card has Xyz Material, your opponent cannot manually change the battle position of a monster they control unless they discard 1 card. Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a card or effect is activated that destroys 1 or more "Full Defense" monsters you control: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the activation and destroy that card. This card can attack in Defense Position, and if it does, apply its original DEF -500 for damage calculation.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Spells']
shield%20luster.jpg
Add 1 "Full Defense" monster from your Deck to the hand, then you can change 1 face-up monster you control to Defense Position.

shield%20of%20greed.jpg
If all monsters your opponent controls are in Defense Position: Draw 2 cards, then change 1 monster your opponent controls with the highest ATK to Attack Position.

ironclad%20backup%20shield.jpg
Target 1 face-up Defense Position "Full Defense" monster you control; change it to Attack Position, then Special Summon 1 "Full Defense" monster of the same Level from the Deck in Attack Position. During the End Phase, if you control an Xyz Monster, detach 1 Xyz Material from it. You can only activate 1 "Ironclad Backup Shield" per turn.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Traps']
ironclad%20guerrilla.jpg
If your opponent controls more monsters than you do: Change all monsters your opponent controls to Defense Position and Special Summon 1 "Full Defense" monster from your hand or Deck whose DEF is equal to or lower than the ATK of your opponent's monster with the highest ATK. You cannot activate this card if a monster Special Summoned by this card's effect is face-up on the field. You can only activate 1 "Ironclad Guerrilla" per turn.

a%20shield%20left%20in%20the%20desert.jp
Send 1 Defense Position "Full Defense" monster you control to the Graveyard to target 2 cards your opponent controls; destroy them.

ironclad%20dispel.jpg
When a monster your opponent controls in face-up Attack Position is changed to face-up Defense Position: Pay 1000 Life Points; destroy Spell/Trap Cards your opponent controls up to the number of face-up Defense Position monsters your opponent controls.

sturdy%20frontline.jpg
When an opponent's Spell/Trap Card is activated: Target 1 face-up Defense Position "Full Defense" monster you control; negate the Spell/Trap activation and destroy it, then change the targeted monster to face-up Attack Position.[/spoiler]

All feedback and constructive criticism happily accepted, please comment!
Also check out my other created archetypes in my signature if you liked this.

• 1 month later...

It's like taking Elemental Hero Rampart Blaster and making a whole archetype out of him, Great job, It's totally original and does a great job in both writing and strategy. I'd totally try this if were real cards. There are great abilities on these cards. All the effects are great. All cards would be great when set, because it would punish your opponent thoroughly. One of the best series I've seen yet.

• 1 month later...

These seem like fairly balanced cards. There effects are not all that powerful and their defense attack is suitable for each card. The only suggestions that I have is perhaps lower the defense for the cards by 200 and then have the "defense minus calculation" be by 300 instead, I only say this because the controller of a "Full-Defense" monster won't have to worry so much about battle damage so IMO having the cards have a little less Defense would equal it out. 

Also, do all the monsters have to be warrior type? Because I'm seeing some cards that would be Beast-Warrior or Reptile in the set and would really like, just for card flavoring, if the type showed that. I hope that helps.

These seem like fairly balanced cards. There effects are not all that powerful and their defense attack is suitable for each card. The only suggestions that I have is perhaps lower the defense for the cards by 200 and then have the "defense minus calculation" be by 300 instead, I only say this because the controller of a "Full-Defense" monster won't have to worry so much about battle damage so IMO having the cards have a little less Defense would equal it out. 

Also, do all the monsters have to be warrior type? Because I'm seeing some cards that would be Beast-Warrior or Reptile in the set and would really like, just for card flavoring, if the type showed that. I hope that helps.

While I see the point about not having to worry a lot about battle damage, making them a DEF position-based archetype without having outstanding DEF would be kind of nonsense. Besides, they take massive battle damage when they're switched to ATK position, which can be forced by a few cards (including the popular Papilloperative) and maybe you can catch them off-guard that way if their user uses their effects. Also, they don't boast impressive swarming capabilities, which means you can inflict battle damage by getting rid of all of them since the deck would have difficulties getting a comeback. And I don't really mind much for changing their types. It was mostly to make them all searchable by ROTA and compatible with Rivalry of Warlords, but maybe they don't need that.

im a programmer and i like these cards im gonna program them into my version of ygopro to try them out will post youtube vid of duel when added

Okay I guess. Make sure to post such video in this thread. And thanks!

I've made a few changes btw - Full Defense Stonewall and Betelgeuse got new images, and Full Defense Lizard has been replaced with the new Full Defense Explorer.

awesome atm im programming full defence shieldlust all the ones above i have programmed lol and i will definably post video here

Just a few in-depth pointers about their mechanics, btw.

Their effects that change them to DEF upon being Normal Summoned are continuous, they do not activate.

The non-Xyz ones have effects which activate when they are MANUALLY changed to Attack Position (which means: they do not activate if changed by a card effect!), also most of them must stay in Attack Position for the effect to RESOLVE (which means they won't work with "Level Limit - Area B" since it changes them back to Defense Position at resolution). That's what the "if this card is in Defense Position, do x" clause is for.

"Full Defense Bladewall"'s first effect is continuous. It does not activate.

"Full Defense Uberlord"'s continuous effect means 1 discard for EACH monster whose battle position they wish to change.

That was actually pretty well done, congratulations. However, as I stated above, their effects that change them to DEF position upon their summoning don't activate, they're continuous. You made them activate. Other than that, seems spot-on with rulings. Nicely done, I appreciate it a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

That's awesome, you pulled some wicked combos there (mainly thanks to Triple Summon which is probably a card that should exist - and Excalibur helped you a lot as it was meant to). I'm proud that the archetype is capable of that without being broken. They're probably about tier 2, which I'm happy with. Awesome seeing them in play.

• 1 month later...

Archived