RWBY

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally caught up

[spoiler=Thoughts on V5.10]
I thought it was interesting finding out that the Beacon Relic is harder to find (in addition to Oz shooting down Ruby's assumption about the cane), I had wondered about it since the battle of Beacon
As for the Menagerie situation, I thought some thing was gonna happen (either to the Belladonnas or Sun), but it turned fine for everyone, 'cept Fennec ofc, but I was expecting someone to die during the skirmish. I thought Kali using the tray to deflect the bullet showed some initiative in using what you have in the room to defend yourself, so props to her for that.
At least Blake managed to get some of the Faunus on side afterwards, and was able to forgive Ilia (though I feel that she got off lightly to be fair).
Hopefully we get a timeskip of Blake's group getting to haven, though the end had me wondering about the ship captain who Blake said owed them a favour.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Thoughts on V5.11]

Hot damn... what an episode

Well then, it appears Leo's involvement with Salem's side stems back further than we thought (ie allowing Cinder's team to enter the Vytal Festival in Vol 3), and Qrow realised that because of Leo's position in the Mistral council, he wasn't able to find the Huntsmen/Huntresses is because Salem had killed them. Though I will admit, the reveal that Leo is a faunus was really subtle. I wouldn't have guessed that he was to be fair.

When Cinder said to Jaune "Who are you again?" I was like "Rekt".

I noticed towards the end when Nora and Ren attacked Hazel, it looked rather similar to how they attacked him in the opening for V5, only from a different angle.

That shot on Weiss though... I figured that something was probs gonna happen to her this Volume from the character short (ie Winter saying "I'm not always gonna be around to save you.")

[spoiler=5.11]Really neat group fight, got a lot of meaningful conflicts and rivalries here (though not everywhere, the fight with Hazel wasn't really shown much for example). Jaune had some really great emotion here, Miles is killing it as his VA. Unfortunately his emotion is getting the better of him and he's hopelessly outclassed. Same with Weiss, she was getting her butt handed to her.

Emerald interrupting Ruby's power-up was well-timed on her part, and it's probably better that she didn't see what happened to Weiss. I think she'll be fine in the end, though. The spear didn't look like it went through anything too vital, maybe a kidney or something, but at least no lungs/heart or anything. Either way that's often the kind of spot people get stabbed or shot or something in fiction and they live. Plus, being a fire spear and all, the wound was probably immediately cauterized. It looks grim but I don't think they'll pull another Pyrrha just yet, the fact she didn't immediately disintegrate is a good sign I'd say. Hopefully Jaune can realize his semblance soon and do something cool.

My favorite bit was probably Oscar versus Leo (who I didn't realize was a Faunus, don't know if they've been intentionally hiding it or I'm just unobservant). The cane work was really cool and I like that it seems to be just Oscar. Ozpin's muscle memory is really coming to fruition. Leo showing a bit of backbone (even if it was only after realizing he's fighting a kid and he's doing it for the wrong reasons) was pretty cool, and I like his shield/dust dial weapon.

I'm wondering how far along the group from Menagerie is. Unless Adam pushed up his timetable or Blake's group was misinformed, they said his attack was in two weeks last episode meaning their arc was a bit in the past. I'm not sure if two weeks is enough for them to reach Haven from Menagerie by boat, but they have to have a Big Damn Heroes moment as some point, I figure.

[spoiler=Thoughts on 5.11]

The only good thing about this episode was that the team finally got out of the house.  Other than that, everything else was terrible.  I admit, Cinder saying "Who are you again?" was a really good moment, but I think It was the only other cool part to the episode.  The fighting and animation was so off putting that I was just rolling my eyes.  There's one moment where Jaune and Cinder clash weapons, and there's no impact to it...just incompetent. 

Blake gets her ass kicked in every scene we see, which isn't much because the fights are so haphazard and spread out for no reason.  The choreography could be so much better...but no we have to split off everyone into individual 1 on 1's.  Can't make the run time any longer than 15 minutes after all.   

Rwby just kinda...does the silver eye thing...but it doesn't do anything.  Must be a solar flare type deal or something, because that was pathetic compared to the end of Season 3.  

Also, Weiss is totally going to live.  And did you see that throw from Cinder?  Was she throwing a spear, or a stone into a pond.  The animators aren't even trying at this point anymore.  At this point, Rooster Teeth is just trying to fake you out, and say "OMG They're doing another Pyrha!", when they haven't even earned it this season.

[spoiler=Thoughts on 5. 12]

It's like...12 minutes long...and a cliffhanger at that.  Trash finale for a trash season.

[spoiler=5.12]So Hazel's like Bane just with Dust, that's neat. Definitely didn't expect him to go nuts like that about Ozpin, shame about his dead sister. The ensuing fight between them was really cool and dynamic. Poor Qrow, though, getting totally laid out by that punch.

Jaune's semblance is some sort of aura healing thing, I think that was the most likely outcome that a lot of people have suspected for quite some time. Dude's a Paladin who just learned Lay On Hands.

Back to the unexpected, I did not see it coming that Raven was the Spring Maiden. When Cinder went to kill Vernal I expected that her power would transfer to Raven, but this was much more direct. She and Vernal were tricking everyone the whole time, that helmet must be so she can hide the whole flame eyes thing when she uses her powers. Assuming we get a full on fight between them and it's not just shown in glimpses like with Cinder vs Ozpin, two Maidens going at it should be kickass.

Finally caught up on chapter 12

[spoiler=Thoughts on V5.12]

Hazel has certainly gotten more interesting, by inserting dust into his arms. (Though since he's fighting with electrified fists, it'll be bad news with Nora around) Didn't expect that he's pissed at Ozpin over what happened to his sister. That being said, the fight between the two was cool.

So we finally see Jaune's semblance, and it's aura healing. That seems in line with what most people suspected given previous minor hints.

As for the situation with Cinder, Raven and Vernal. This scene was unexpected, like the reveal that Raven was the Spring Maiden and that she/Vernal had been tricking everyone, in addition to Cinder having a Grimm arm (I knew there had to be a reason why her left arm was hidden all this time) and using it to attack Vernal.

One thing I will say, Cinder's line "it's grander than Beacon's". Earlier in this volume, Ozpin said that he made Beacon's harder to find, so her saying that Haven's vault is grander than Beacon's doesn't make much sense as she hasn't opened Beacon's vault, so unless she was mistaken, she can't have known that Haven's vault is grander so to speak.

One thing I did note (and this has happened before with another character, can't remember who), Yang wasn't listed in the credits, when she did speak.

[spoiler=Thoughts on V5.12]

One thing I will say, Cinder's line "it's grander than Beacon's". Earlier in this volume, Ozpin said that he made Beacon's harder to find, so her saying that Haven's vault is grander than Beacon's doesn't make much sense as she hasn't opened Beacon's vault, so unless she was mistaken, she can't have known that Haven's vault is grander so to speak

[spoiler=maybe]The relic may have been hidden but I assume there was still a vault, Cinder just couldn't find the relic in it (if it was there at all). The vault was probably down there somewhere, she must've looked into it after killing Oz.

[spoiler=5.13]So I was right, Blake and her group were set to arrive soon, I wasn't mistaken about the whole "two weeks" thing. Glad she got to funking deck Adam, that was fun.

I keep forgetting that with each new Grimm she defeats, Weiss adds another unit to her summon arsenal. The giant wasp thing pulling in Hazel was cool. And Hazel's semblance ignoring pain is neat, I thought it would've been directly linked to the dust but it's merely a way that let's him utilize it.

The fight between the maidens was exciting, though unfortunately I had to watch at 360p cuz my home internet's not that good so I couldn't appreciate it fully (the music was great as always, though). I'm not convinced that Cinder's dead yet, we have yet to see her lifeless body. Shame about Vernal, though, I would've liked to see more of her. And now that we've seen how that door works, I really like the design with the flower petals and stuff. I wonder what Yang's gonna do now that she's down there, with only 1 arm, and what Raven wants to do with the relic.

[spoiler=maybe]The relic may have been hidden but I assume there was still a vault, Cinder just couldn't find the relic in it (if it was there at all). The vault was probably down there somewhere, she must've looked into it after killing Oz.

[spoiler=Response]

I suppose the only other thing I can think of is perhaps Ozpin constructed a fake vault to make sure Beacon's was hard to find. Cinder even said during the descent that "this is the first time in so many years that a maiden has opened a vault" meaning she couldn't find the true vault of Beacon.

[spoiler=Thoughts on 5.13]

Figured that there'd be a timeskip for Blake's group getting to Haven, confirming many people's assumptions regarding those events. Her decking Adam was neat to see.

I was right about Nora using Hazel's dust power against him, though it was interesting learning that his semblance blocks pain so that he can utilise the dust that he jams into his arms. Having said that, him being pulled in by Weiss' wasp summon was cool as well.

The highlight of the episode for me was the kickass fight between Raven/Cinder, it didn't disappoint as I was expecting an interesting fight and as usual, the music used was great as well. I don't think Cinder is dead though however, that seemed too easy. Shame about Vernal though, but at least she was able to get one last hurrah before her death.

Curious to see what'll happen in the Volume finale regarding Yang now that she's down there with 1 arm (I'm sure Mercury didn't expect Yang's arm to come off when he tried to stop her going down to the vault) and what Raven intends to do with the relic.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Season 5 Wrap-Up Thoughts]

I wish the White Fang weren't taken down so easily. It was cool to see all the townspeople unite together to cast them out, but it felt a little anticlimactic. They did build it up for like 1-2 seasons, so everyone banding together did feel earned. But the resolution felt a little too easy for a threat that's been present since season 1.

The fight between Cinder and Raven was cool, I enjoyed that and it was interesting that Cinder was defeated. It's not ending each season with her taking down a maiden, glad they went the other way.

But I wasn't impressed with the royale action in the mansion lobby, felt disjointed. I also would have waited to show Blake to the gang until the last episode, not for a second before she went to face Adam.

Season 5 had its moments, but was one of the weaker seasons. I was wanting more action and less exposition, plus the main group never leaving the house made the show drag its feet for pacing.

Here's hoping for a jam-packed and action-heavy Season 6.

[spoiler=5.14]I really enjoyed Yang's confrontation with Raven, the fact that she did it with her robot arm gone was a nice touch. We've had people trying to get through to Raven since volume 4 with Qrow, then Yang back at the camp, even a bit with Leo seeing through her when they were talking in his office. But finally Yang was able to break through her stoic facade. It was sweet that Raven stopped by to check on Tai before going off again. Although despite the seriousness of the talk, I got a kick out of, "You might be powerful, but that doesn't make you strong."

oAt1uTK.png?1

And oh man, Leo. Dude got straight funked up, RIP. Emerald's illusion of Salem was creepy, too, and it explains that part in the opening. It wasn't until this episode where I was like, "Wait, so that's obviously not gonna happen, a fight with Salem won't be so soon." and it turns out I was wrong.

It was so satisfying to see Blake tell off Adam like that. There was some nice framing during some of her lines (like when she said she had better things to do) for emphasis which I liked. Glad to see Blake finally reunite with everyone, that was a sweet moment with the group hug.

Oscar's words before he fainted make me excited for the future. It looks like things will be moving to Atlas, which means we'll see more of Ironwood and Winter, and hopefully that means Weiss' dad and brother will get what's coming to them eventually as well.

[spoiler=Thoughts on 5.14]

I suppose Salem felt that Leo had outgrown his usefulness when he tried to flee the scene, though his death would have to have been brutal for it to be shown off-screen.

Just like at the end of the opening, we see Salem displayed in front of the group as an illusion by Emerald's semblance, and it sure was creepy as funk, though I'm not surprised that it was used so that, she, Mercury and Hazel can get away.

I do think that the situation regarding the White Fang was a bit too easy (with regards to them being taken down) I know that it had been built up for a while, but it still felt anti-climatic, at least Adam got a good telling off from Blake (and Sun when he refuted Adam's "powerful friends") as it was rather satisfying.

As for the Yang/Raven situation. This was a rather interesting scene as people have been trying to get through to Raven, though I like that it was Yang to do so (despite failing to at the camp) her line "You may be powerful but that doesn't make you strong." was certainly impactful as the way Yang said it, she knew Raven was creating a front. It was a nice touch that Raven stopped by Tai in the post credits scene.

As soon as Oz said that the relic needed to be taken to Atlas I was like "Weiss tried hard to get away from Atlas in Vol 4, now she'll have to come back, oh boy."

All in all, Volume 5 wasn't bad, I think there was a bit too much exposition for my liking, not to mention it took an eternity for the group to leave the house, but when we did get action, things got real interesting.

[spoiler=Minor thought in regards to Volume 5's Finale]

I can understand the possible reasons why Lionheart was killed (being a loose end, Salem loathing his cowardice and his one final act of defiance), and that he had lead many Huntsmen to their death, all for Salem's machinations/to save his own skin....

... but I still wanna yank his tail. :Kappa: :Kappa: :Kappa: :Kappa: :Kappa: :Kappa:

vFi7cLe.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Repsonse]

Bear in mind Jinn can only answer one more question  Kappa  .

[spoiler=Re: Response]

Pfffft nice...then again it's literally a Djinn/Genie...soooooo poooooosssibility of asking if they could ask for more questions? xD ...alright I'll stop.

So many things right now. I knew good and well she would be back, that's for certain. Now, with that small thing out the way...the fact that we actually get more origin stories is amazing...though this was NOT the direction I thought it would take.

Pfffft nice...then again it's literally a Djinn/Genie...soooooo poooooosssibility of asking if they could ask for more questions? xD ...alright I'll stop.

So many things right now. I knew good and well she would be back, that's for certain. Now, with that small thing out the way...the fact that we actually get more origin stories is amazing...though this was NOT the direction I thought it would take.

[spoiler=Response]

It's not like Nora considered that already  Kappa  . (It had to be done)

I figured it'd be a matter of time before we learned more about how those two were connected.

[spoiler=Response]

It's not like Nora considered that already  Kappa  . (It had to be done)

I figured it'd be a matter of time before we learned more about how those two were connected.

So true...so so true.

Well, least this'll give us more insight on the old days of Remnant as well...though I'm saying this. If Ozpin/the Wizard is basically responsible for Salem's transformation into the present day Salem...I'm going to be quite upset.

So true...so so true.

Well, least this'll give us more insight on the old days of Remnant as well...though I'm saying this. If Ozpin/the Wizard is basically responsible for Salem's transformation into the present day Salem...I'm going to be quite upset.

[spoiler=Response]

If that ends up being the case, I’d be quite annoyed as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived