Aimlessly gliding, peacefully, amidst the clouds... - Vagrant Gliders archetype

Bleaknight

Among the clouds, phasing inbetween states of consciousness...

Fantasy-Portal-abstract-autumn-clouds-fa

This is the Vagrant Gliders archetype - an archetype of monsters who work slowly, yet protect themselves for destructions by transporting in and out of the banished zone, and gain effects that way. They protect each other, which means they cannot be destroyed while you control 2 or more face-up Vagrant Gliders. And they normally must be Set, since they are Level 6 and don't have much support in the Tribute Summon department. Yet being flipped face-up triggers powerful effects, and so does returning from the banished zone. Their power relies on controlling the field, disrupting your opponent and protecting each other until the time to strike is right.
Enjoy the beautiful images and feel the clouds passing by.

vagrant%20glider%20pileus.jpg
You can Set this card without Tributing. Other "Vagrant" monsters you control cannot be destroyed. When this card is flipped face-up: You can banish 1 "Vagrant" monster from your Deck. Once per turn, when a card/effect is activated: You can banish this card until the next Standby Phase. When this banished card returns to the field: Destroy 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field, then destroy and banish this card.

vagrant%20glider%20stratus.jpg
You can Set this card without Tributing. Other "Vagrant" monsters you control cannot be destroyed. When this card is flipped face-up: You can banish 1 monster on the field until the End Phase. Once per turn, when a card/effect is activated: You can banish this card until the next Standby Phase. When this banished card returns to the field: Destroy 1 monster on the field, then destroy and banish this card.

vagrant%20glider%20cumulus.jpg
You can Set this card without Tributing. Other "Vagrant" monsters you control cannot be destroyed. During the End Phase: If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this banished card. Once per turn, when a banished "Vagrant" monster returns to the field: You can banish this card, then add 1 "Vagrant" monster from your Deck to the hand.

vagrant%20glider%20swarm.jpg
You can Set this card without Tributing. Other "Vagrant" monsters you control cannot be destroyed. During the End Phase: If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this banished card. Once per turn, when a banished "Vagrant" monster returns to the field: You can banish this card and 1 "Vagrant" monster from your Deck, then Set 1 "Vagrant" monster you control.

vagrant%20glider%20nimbus.jpg
You can Set this card without Tributing. Other "Vagrant" monsters you control cannot be destroyed. When this card is flipped face-up: Add 1 "Vagrant" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to the hand. Once per turn, when a card/effect is activated: You can banish this card until the next Standby Phase. When this banished card returns to the field: You can banish up to 2 cards from either Graveyard.

vagrant%20glider%20earthbound-arcus.jpg
You can Set this card without Tributing. Other "Vagrant" monsters you control cannot be destroyed. During either player's turn: You can banish this card from your hand; flip 1 Set "Vagrant" monster you control to face-up Attack Position. If you have 2 or less cards in your hand: You can Special Summon this banished card, and if you do, add 1 of your banished "Vagrant" monsters to the hand.

vagrant%20glider%20cairapace.jpg
If all monsters you control (if any) are "Vagrant" monsters, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. When this card is Summoned, or when this banished card returns to the field: Double the ATK of a face-up "Vagrant" monster until the next Standby Phase. Once per turn, when a card/effect is activated: You can banish this card until the next Standby Phase.

vagrant%20glider%20abodoise.jpg

2 Level 6 WIND monsters
Other "Vagrant" monsters you control cannot be destroyed. You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 card on the field; banish it until the End Phase, then you can Set 1 "Vagrant" monster you control. You can banish this card you control with Xyz Material until your next End Phase, and if you do, Special Summon 1 of your banished "Vagrant" monsters.

vagrant%20glider%20dream%20whale.jpg
3 Level 6 WIND monsters

Other "Vagrant" monsters you control cannot be destroyed. Any monster sent to the Graveyard is banished instead. While this card has Xyz Material, when a banished "Vagrant" monster returns to the field: You can Set 1 face-up "Vagrant" monster you control. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; double the ATK of 1 face-up "Vagrant" monster until the End Phase, but it cannot activate its effects for the rest of this turn.

vagrant%20glider%20tempest.jpg

3 Level 6 WIND monsters
Other "Vagrant" monsters you control cannot be destroyed. While this card has Xyz Material, halve the ATK and DEF of any monster this card battles. Once per turn, when a card/effect is activated: You can banish this card until the next Standby Phase. When this banished card returns to the field: You can attach 1 banished monster to it as an Xyz Material.

dreamer%20of%20the%20vagrant%20gliders.j
Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by returning 4 of your banished "Vagrant" monsters to the Graveyard. Other "Vagrant" monsters you control cannot be destroyed. During the End Phase: You can Special Summon this banished card by returning 1 of your banished cards to the Graveyard. When a card/effect is activated: You can banish this card and 1 other card on the field until the next Standby Phase. If this banished card would be returned to the field, you can return 1 other banished "Vagrant" monster instead. Each effect of "Dreamer of the Vagrant Gliders" can only be activated once per turn.

gateway%20to%20vagrant%20skies.jpg
You take no battle damage from battles involving "Vagrant" monsters you control. While you control a "Vagrant" monster, neither player can Normal or Special Summon if the number of monsters they control would exceed the number of monsters their opponent controls.

the%20vagrant%20tree%20of%20life.jpg
Banish 1 "Vagrant" monster from your Deck; draw 1 card. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can banish it. During your 2nd End Phase after this card has been banished, add it to your hand. There can only be 1 banished "The Vagrant Tree of Life".

vagrant%20phasing.jpg
Target up to 3 cards that are banished or in the Graveyards; banish those targets in the Graveyard and return those banished targets to the Graveyard.

vagrant%20cloud%20nine.jpg
Reveal 1 face-down "Vagrant" monster you control; flip it into face-up Attack Position. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can banish it. During your 2nd End Phase after this card has been banished, add it to your hand. There can only be 1 banished "Vagrant Cloud Nine".

cloud%20submersion.jpg
When this card is activated: Banish 1 "Vagrant" monster you control, and if you do, return 1 other banished "Vagrant" monster to the field. When this card is destroyed: Return the monster banished by this card's effect to the field.

Don't forget to leave your comments, any constructive feedback is appreciated!

Fantasy_Dragons_in_the_Clouds_026374_.jp

I absolutely love the artwork. The cards themselves are interesting. i feel they are a bit too defensive. I feel that you should make one or two of them with effects that make them a little more offensive as far as doing life point damage. Also on Dream Whale on the card itself it says 8 level 6 monsters. 

I absolutely love the artwork. The cards themselves are interesting. i feel they are a bit too defensive. I feel that you should make one or two of them with effects that make them a little more offensive as far as doing life point damage. Also on Dream Whale on the card itself it says 8 level 6 monsters. 

Well, about the LP damage, they are actually meant to be pretty defensive and gain slow advantage, not to OTK. They do have a couple ATK-doubling effects though, and I think they'd be overpowered if they had much more offensive capabilities. They can Xyz into other Rank 6s though - it may mess a bit with their synergy, but if it's damage you want, you have that option. And about the 8 Level 6 monsters, it's just Yugico's weird font for the number 3. Thanks for the input!

Hmm difficult to critique these cards. You smartly made them level six so that they wouldn't have very good xyz to go into.

Change the requirements for the xyz so that the have to use "vagrant glider's" not sure why you wouldn't already have it like that though.

Is there any reason why they're all beast? I see some tortoises, lizards, and fish, why not change the type to fit the creature on the card?

There a bit too hard to be rid of for the other player. I would say that you change the effect that "other "vagrant glider"s cannot be destroyed" to "other "vagrant glider"s cannot be destroyed by battle. Especially since many of the cards allow them to banish themselves when a card effect goes off.

Need to make "Vagrant tree of life" a continuous spell card because it doesn't make sense as a normal one. Also take out the draw one card effect of it since you plus off the banished monster. Change the other effect "Neither player can Summon monsters if the number of monsters they control would exceed the number of monsters their opponent controls" so that it's special summon, it's too powerful if it's for all summons.

"Vagrant phasing" should be reduced to 2, at current allows for a far too powerful of graveyard and banishment control since, you could use the card to banish targets in your opponent's graveyard. You could also bump it to 3 but change the effect so that it can only target your own cards and only "vagrant glider" monsters.

Overall this deck would be too powerful simply because Dimensional Fissure and Macro Cosmos exist. These card would be able to hold field control forever (since they could all comeback since they are banished and not sent to the graveyard) , while also ruining your opponent graveyards setups. 

If you could somehow balance the cards knowing this, that'd be great but for now, they're probably to OP.

Nice art work by the way.

Change the requirements for the xyz so that the have to use "vagrant glider's" not sure why you wouldn't already have it like that though.

Is there any reason why they're all beast? I see some tortoises, lizards, and fish, why not change the type to fit the creature on the card?

There a bit too hard to be rid of for the other player. I would say that you change the effect that "other "vagrant glider"s cannot be destroyed" to "other "vagrant glider"s cannot be destroyed by battle. Especially since many of the cards allow them to banish themselves when a card effect goes off.

Need to make "Vagrant tree of life" a continuous spell card because it doesn't make sense as a normal one. Also take out the draw one card effect of it since you plus off the banished monster. Change the other effect "Neither player can Summon monsters if the number of monsters they control would exceed the number of monsters their opponent controls" so that it's special summon, it's too powerful if it's for all summons.

"Vagrant phasing" should be reduced to 2, at current allows for a far too powerful of graveyard and banishment control since, you could use the card to banish targets in your opponent's graveyard. You could also bump it to 3 but change the effect so that it can only target your own cards and only "vagrant glider" monsters.

Overall this deck would be too powerful simply because Dimensional Fissure and Macro Cosmos exist. These card would be able to hold field control forever (since they could all comeback since they are banished and not sent to the graveyard) , while also ruining your opponent graveyards setups. 

If you could somehow balance the cards knowing this, that'd be great but for now, they're probably to OP.

Nice art work by the way.

Referring to them as "Vagrant" in card text cuts down in text and makes essentially no difference since there aren't other "Vagrant" monsters anyway.

There's no particular reason why they're all beast, but they mostly resemble beasts anyway and I like to keep a single type. I may change that though.

Yeah, I've already thought of that "only being undestroyable by battle" idea before and it may be done, but I'll test how strong they are before doing that. 

I don't see why doesn't Tree of Life make sense as a Normal Spell. Normal Spells can have lingering effects too. Also you don't necessarily plus off a banished monster - them being banished doesn't mean they'll return, it's just effect fodder, not a direct +1, also the draw grants them a draw engine - they don't have many search effects and generic draw power isn't good enough to keep the deck running consistently. About the Normal Summon, something similar may be plausible - I think restricting Special Summons is a better idea. Restricting Normal Summons wouldn't do much. I'll test them, then see if it's appropriate.

Reducing Vagrant Phasing's targets is plausible as well, though restricting it to your graveyard makes the card pointless - its "hidden use" is getting definitely rid of your opponent's cards that you banish temporarily, because if they're banished, for example, until the next Standby Phase, and you send them from banished zone to the graveyard before that time comes, they stay at the grave and don't return.

I don't see what in Macro / DFissure makes them broken, in fact these cards don't change much. The Vagrant Gliders don't return anytime they're banished, they only return through their own effects. So if they're destroyed by battle and banished, they won't return.

Thanks for the overall input! I designed them to be powerful, but I'll play with them a bit before making big decisions about their balance.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly modified some cards for balance. Namely, "The Vagrant Tree of Life" and "Cloud Submersion". They gave too many free pluses before. Also modified "Gateway to Vagrant Skies" because I wasn't happy with its effect.

Also added the card "Vagrant Cloud Nine".

Archived