Shingeki no Kyojin [Attack on Titan]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMXgHfHxKVM

Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants.

Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as...

Dark, interesting, and action packed. A candidate for best of the season and dark horse for best of year, so far. Some find the art style to be unappealing, but I think it is just something that needs getting use to.

Thoughts?

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I hate about this excellent series is the TEASING.

Oh, we now have more than one person who can turn into a Titan, but we're not going to reveal anything, though there is some sort of conspiracy.

Oh, look. There are now random groups of titans attacking in areas that are sealed off, and therefore means that they shouldn't be attacking.

Hey, guys. Here's a character who knows the origins of the Titans, but won't say anything right now, and will most likely die soon.

JUST GIVE US AT LEAST ONE ANSWER!!!
My interest is already piqued! You don't need to keep adding more and more questions like Lost!

They just keep throwing questions at us without giving any real answers, when, in my mind, I already have plenty of reasons to keep reading.
I see it as each subplot being its own little narrative. Whenever a question is raised, it's considered rising action as they attempt to figure out the answer, but when that answer comes, it doesn't provide the climatic catharsis of having that question be solved and then falling action into another question, but simply not providing the catharsis and continuing with even more rising action.

That's why I call it teasing. I want the catharsis of at least something being answered, but the manga denies me the release from even some of the rising action. Even moments of falling action in the narrative spur on questions of the world of this manga.

An analogy to this is going on a hike uphill. You know that, at the top of your current hill, there is a place to take a break and get some water before you start back down the hill. However, when you think you are at the top, there is actually more you have to climb before you can truly get to the top. There is no good place to stop, catch your breath, and cool down a bit before beginning the next part of the hike, because you keep going up and up with only little dips in the terrain to provide a bit of relief. Most shounen anime or manga are similar to this structure, but rarely to this degree.

This is why I hated Lost: because nothing, if any, was ever truly answered, and it all just kept piling up.

sasha is as awesome as she was in the manga, and this looks like it'll follow the manga very closely, which is awesome. the only reason I don't rate many of the manga-turned-anime very highly is because they drop off from the original story, this looks like it'll follow it very well so far, and that is a very big plus.

sasha is as awesome as she was in the manga, and this looks like it'll follow the manga very closely, which is awesome. the only reason I don't rate many of the manga-turned-anime very highly is because they drop off from the original story, this looks like it'll follow it very well so far, and that is a very big plus.

Not inheretly a bad thing (points to FMA '03)

It looks like AoT can do humour too :) Im gonna like potato girl. I'm waiting on a youtube video to be made with The Sgt matshed-up with the dialogue from Fullmetal Jacket.

Get to it Internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMXgHfHxKVM

Whenever I see the opening theme, I got goosebumps. Really.

It might turn out to be the best anime of the year, if the storyline goes well. I don't have any problems with the animations though so yeah, Nice anime for me. I love Sasha Grey Braus's personality....think about those dem meat who made her face gone ahegao.

They are not going to be releasing an instrumental version of the OP. :[

I know some people who've read the manga and apparently it's the best thing they've read. I really want to see Eren beat the s  t out of the titan that ate his mom.

The manga is good, but the anime is sooo much better because its putting things in chronological order instead of bringing stuff up at random times.

Unrelated note: I thought the forum broke when your name wasn't showing up.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the artwork? Judging by OP, apparently not. Maybe it's just me being picky, but I tried reading the manga and couldn't get past the first two chapters. Can anyone who has read far enough ahead tell me if the art changes at all, or does it stay pretty much the same? (Also, watching the anime is a no-go for me: I can cover much more ground in manga than with anime.)

They are not going to be releasing an instrumental version of the OP. :[

The manga is good, but the anime is sooo much better because its putting things in chronological order instead of bringing stuff up at random times.

Unrelated note: I thought the forum broke when your name wasn't showing up.

Hah, I figured someone would get confused by my name. Honestly, I couldn't really think of a name to use. And oh, does the manga start after he's done in the recon corps training or something along those lines? 

Am I the only one who doesn't like the artwork? Judging by OP, apparently not. Maybe it's just me being picky, but I tried reading the manga and couldn't get past the first two chapters. Can anyone who has read far enough ahead tell me if the art changes at all, or does it stay pretty much the same? (Also, watching the anime is a no-go for me: I can cover much more ground in manga than with anime.)

The art style sort of reminds me of older anime like Fist of the North Star. I'm not a huge fan of it either, but it fits well with the story.

Same here. You'd know already if an anime is really good when it pulled you into reading its manga.

I really wanted to just stick to the anime but...I...I feel like I just need to lay down for a bit and ask to a god I don't believe in, "You expect me to wait a week?"

Episode 5 is everything I could have hoped for. <3

EDIT: Also heard that the series (or studio idk I'll ask) received more money because the series is popular.

Oh god, do they deserve it. Making me sit here with my mouth wide open is no easy task. But seriously, I'm pretty f*cked up right now.

[spoiler=Spoiler]

Was Eren never really the main character? is this some Psycho bullsh*t  they're playing here? because I was sitting here 15 minutes ago thinking, "Yeah, Eren go kick ass. Show them what the incredibly awesome main character can do! You got this. You can't die." And then BAM! Leg gone. Arm gone. Swallowed.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=That was...]

That was crazy.
If Eren dies here, that'd be the first time a show's ever misdirected me like that with the MC dying and being replaced. I honestly don't think that's been done before in anything I've seen. 
That's cool.
And even if he doesn't, still a great episode. For all the reasons already stated, but mainly in its unpredictability and our newfound knowledge on the Titans.
Which leads to another point: I don't think I've ever seen such a bleak and hopeless situation before. I mean, we've all seen stories of oppressed good guys rising up against their evil enemies and eventually overcoming them, but it just feels so impossible here. 
Those guys were all the top 10 in their class and they all got wiped out like it was nothing.
Nothing.[/spoiler]
Can't wait to see what happens next.

Armin really needs to start lending Erin a hand when he gets in trouble, those weapons probably cost an arm and a leg to make, so he'd better learn to use them...

I'm so sorry, somebody needed to make that joke

[spoiler=That was...]

That was crazy.
If Eren dies here, that'd be the first time a show's ever misdirected me like that with the MC dying and being replaced. I honestly don't think that's been done before in anything I've seen. 
That's cool.
And even if he doesn't, still a great episode. For all the reasons already stated, but mainly in its unpredictability and our newfound knowledge on the Titans.
Which leads to another point: I don't think I've ever seen such a bleak and hopeless situation before. I mean, we've all seen stories of oppressed good guys rising up against their evil enemies and eventually overcoming them, but it just feels so impossible here. 
Those guys were all the top 10 in their class and they all got wiped out like it was nothing.
Nothing.[/spoiler]
Can't wait to see what happens next.

Well there was "See ya later buddy" But that was more 2 main characters reduced to 1. Here, there's still unresolved matters like his Flashback to his father. I suspect he'll live.

Only Eren was in Top 10.

Damn is the Colossal Titan terrifying.

Bleak is definitely the word. They haven't even managed to kill 1 Titan yet.

Archived