Ask the Dark Oak Teleport

Sleepy

iiW7kPi.jpg

If your opponent controls a monster and you control no monsters, Special Summon 1 Normal Monster from your hand or Deck in Defense Position to either side of the field. Return it to the hand during the End Phase. You can only activate 1 "Ask the Dark Oak Teleport" per turn. The monster Summoned this way cannot be used for a Special Summon

In advance:

Yes I thought about making something like "Level 3 or lower", but high Level Normal Monsters are actually harder to include in any deck, unless you are using Hyeratics or Blue-Eyes, so I thought they deserved some love like this. Plus, it's Defense Position so, regardless of what you bring out, it has no offensive capabilities unless you dedicate another combo piece to changing it to Attack Position. If you dissagree, I wanna hear your thoughts. It should be interesting.

Comment Comment Comment Comment Comment Comment Comment Comment Comment Comment.... [/totally not implying anything here]

You're joking about this card's design right? A Summon right out of the Deck for no cost at all? It's return cost can also make it useful for certain things, but really, why did you think making a design like this would be a good idea? It needs a heavy cost or condition, or still will easily get abused. And it's alos Quick-Play, so that has great implications as well.

While yes, the card has no offensive capabilities, that is not where this card becomes considerably a tad too powerful to be made. Really, it is a Summoner's Art at SS2 that can be used for other things. The free Special Summon from the Deck is a little to powerful, and the bouncing at the End Phase doesn't really do much to balance it. You could easily replace "Deck" with "Graveyard" or "Banished Zone" and the card would be perfectly fine. Summoning from the Deck is usually considered a huge no no.

The matter of fact is that the game doesn't need a card like this. With all the changes suggested, ie changing deck to Graveyard, all it would end up as is Swing of Memories + Ancient Rules with a different End Phase effect.

tl;dr: We already have enough ways to get out Normal Monsters, either from the hand or the Graveyard (have you seen the new shit that is being released in The Blue-Eyed Dragon's Thundering Descent? the revival card, Bellow of the Silver Dragon, puts Swing of Memories / Silent Doom to shame).

The matter of fact is that the game doesn't need a card like this. With all the changes suggested, ie changing deck to Graveyard, all it would end up as is Swing of Memories + Ancient Rules with a different End Phase effect.

tl;dr: We already have enough ways to get out Normal Monsters, either from the hand or the Graveyard (have you seen the new shit that is being released in The Blue-Eyed Dragon's Thundering Descent? the revival card, Bellow of the Silver Dragon, puts Swing of Memories / Silent Doom to shame).

I enjoy how your "tl;dr" is longer than your actual first post. Good job on that one.

OP: I don't think it should be change to Graveyard, as there is already a card that can Summon iirc. Change it to have a cost/condition or change another way.

You're joking about this card's design right? A Summon right out of the Deck for no cost at all? It's return cost can also make it useful for certain things, but really, why did you think making a design like this would be a good idea? It needs a heavy cost or condition, or still will easily get abused. And it's alos Quick-Play, so that has great implications as well.

The design is not the best, but vanilla support needs to push the balance a little in order to really be viable. How much can it be pushed is what I'm trying to find out here.

Yes it's an Emergency Teleport for vanillas. It's a wall during your opponent's turn, and if it lives, it's a Summoner's Art for any Level.

I'd like you to tell me why it is too powerful to be made, now that I got your attention.

What suggestions do you have?

The design is not the best, but vanilla support needs to push the balance a little in order to really be viable. How much can it be pushed is what I'm trying to find out here.

Yes it's an Emergency Teleport for vanillas. It's a wall during your opponent's turn, and if it lives, it's a Summoner's Art for any Level.

I'd like you to tell me why it is too powerful to be made, now that I got your attention.

What suggestions do you have?

Vanilla might "need" a push, but you can make ANY Rank you wish for pretty much, and Synchros are pretty freaking handy too. I have already said my suggestions, give it a cost or a condition.

So basically what you actually decided to do was give Elemental Dragons more fuel by making Flamvell Guard plays more prominent and not slow them down as much, as well as just generally make Evilswarm a hell of a lot better by allowing you to have a constant stream of Key Beetles, Bahamuts and Ophions.

Design is absolutely atrocious as a result. It doesn't matter if it's a Normal Monster or whatever, a 3000 beater is still a 3000 beater that you got for nothing that will then be used for more abusable stuff. Then there's also the applications that this has with Hieratics and then you just keep going on and on!

Flavor's not all there. I don't quite understand how a tree has anything to do with normal monsters but alright I guess. Only part that actually makes sense to me is the fact that it teles a monster onto the board.

Overall, the card doesn't feel thought out in the slightest and just comes across as very lazily made and poorly constructed. If anything, the card will not be played in very many of your intended decks as they have cards that do it better than this and will instead just be throw into degenerate deck for being a degenerate card.

While yes, the card has no offensive capabilities, that is not where this card becomes considerably a tad too powerful to be made. Really, it is a Summoner's Art at SS2 that can be used for other things. The free Special Summon from the Deck is a little to powerful, and the bouncing at the End Phase doesn't really do much to balance it. You could easily replace "Deck" with "Graveyard" or "Banished Zone" and the card would be perfectly fine. Summoning from the Deck is usually considered a huge no no.

I like this post's content. I might actually just do that. I wanted preferably a searcher, but getting the monster on the field is more of the goal. Graveyard sounds good.

Also, I missed writing the bit where "only one per turn", I think. I need to add that regardless of the chosen edits.

While we are at it, if the card as it currently is, would be an "add to hand" instead of a SS card, would it be fine? (hypothetically of course)

Haven't seen the S/T support. Only the slow Synchro. Wasn't the Dragon Mausoleum just for Dragon-Types?
I gotta go check that.

I like this post's content. I might actually just do that. I wanted preferably a searcher, but getting the monster on the field is more of the goal. Graveyard sounds good.

Silent Doom/Swing of Memories already exists. I don't really like cards that are just powerups of old cards tbh. But that's your choice. It will certainly change this card a lot if you do.

You do know that Xyzs are a thing?

This is a great card... in a 2004 format. Now? Broken as hell. This makes it too easy to grab any Normal monster from you deck and go into anything you want. Rank 8 for ya Blue-Eyes? Ave' it! A lovely Level 4 to go with that tuner? Knock yourself out! 

I laugh at how Tier 0 this would make Hieratics. 

Seriously though, needs a cost, otherwise it's pretty terrible design.

This is a great card... in a 2004 format. Now? Broken as hell. This makes it too easy to grab any Normal monster from you deck and go into anything you want. Rank 8 for ya Blue-Eyes? Ave' it! A lovely Level 4 to go with that tuner? Knock yourself out! 

It wouldn't make Hieratics Tier 0 in the slightest. It would bring them up from the depths of awfulness and make them an actually competitive deck, but it would in no way make it broken.

OP needs a "While you control no monsters and your opponent controls a monster" OTP clause imo.

So basically what you actually decided to do was give Elemental Dragons more fuel by making Flamvell Guard plays more prominent and not slow them down as much, as well as just generally make Evilswarm a hell of a lot better by allowing you to have a constant stream of Key Beetles, Bahamuts and Ophions.

Design is absolutely atrocious as a result. It doesn't matter if it's a Normal Monster or whatever, a 3000 beater is still a 3000 beater that you got for nothing that will then be used for more abusable stuff. Then there's also the applications that this has with Hieratics and then you just keep going on and on!

Flavor's not all there. I don't quite understand how a tree has anything to do with normal monsters but alright I guess. Only part that actually makes sense to me is the fact that it teles a monster onto the board.

Overall, the card doesn't feel thought out in the slightest and just comes across as very lazily made and poorly constructed. If anything, the card will not be played in very many of your intended decks as they have cards that do it better than this and will instead just be throw into degenerate deck for being a degenerate card.

You are right. It is a lazily made and poorly constructed card.

My intention was, I had an idea that wasn't there just yet, and it started out with a few more restrictions that I knew would make it more balanced, but I eliminated Level restrictions that it used to have in order to see the reactions, sinse I'm not quite sure how much can Normal Monsters be pushed without complains, and that's a question I've had for a while. I mean, I wanna learn something here.

Also, I want to hear in what ways can people give me drawbacks, costs, and restrictions for it.

The picture was in my computer, and I just wanted it to have one, and forced the theme based on that. It really was more for the sake of info collecting more than anything. Thankfully this thread got more activity than my previous 5 or so did combined.

I actually had thought about those decks you mention, for some reason I didn't click 1 and 1 together. That I feel silly about now xD

Tier 0 is maybe an over exaggeration, but it would boost them a hell of a lot.

It wouldn't make Hieratics Tier 0 in the slightest. It would bring them up from the depths of awfulness and make them an actually competitive deck, but it would in no way make it broken.

How are they in any way awful? They arn't Tier 0, that's for sure, but calling them awful seems silly to me, with all of the support they have/gets.

Tier 0 is maybe an over exaggeration, but it would boost them a hell of a lot.

How are they in any way awful? They arn't Tier 0, that's for sure, but calling them awful seems silly to me, with all of the support they have/gets.

They're flimsy. A well placed Torrential / Maxx / Trifortessops / Bottomless / Warning / Tragoedia / any other common card literally shuts the deck down and stops it from working. It breaks too easily for too much set-up and as a result is bad.

They're flimsy. A well placed Torrential / Maxx / Trifortessops / Bottomless / Warning / Tragoedia / any other common card literally shuts the deck down and stops it from working. It breaks too easily for too much set-up and as a result is bad.

Well you have a point, though that can be said about many decks that arn't exactly top meta. I would still not call them awful though. But that's for another time, let's not stray away from the actually topic here.

This card could be useful if you don't have something that can stop your opponent's attack. But may I suggest a rewording to be more specific what card is going back to your hand. Allow me to suggest this.

Someone else could probably do better, but it is only a suggestion.

"Special Summon 1 Normal Monster from your hand or Deck in Defense Position to your side of the field. The monster returns to your hand or deck at the end phase of the turn it was summoned."

This card could be useful if you don't have something that can stop your opponent's attack. But may I suggest a rewording to be more specific what card is going back to your hand. Allow me to suggest this.

Someone else could probably do better, but it is only a suggestion.

"Special Summon 1 Normal Monster from your hand or Deck in Defense Position to your side of the field. The monster returns to your hand or deck at the end phase of the turn it was summoned."

The monster is returned to the hand at the End Phase of either players turn, so "of the turn it was Summoned" is a worthless addition and does nothing for the card.

It wouldn't make Hieratics Tier 0 in the slightest. 

It was a hyperbolic statement. Although they certainly aren't 'awful', and are a fun sub-meta deck. My point was that it gives scope for a lot of cheap plays that suck the skill out of the use of Normal monsters. Hieratics are a decent deck, caught up in a whirlwind of brokeness that they can't really harness (a good and bad thing). OT: Maybe make the use more Normal specific? For instance, a "Discard 1 Normal monster from your hand." cost might make it more constructive for the area you wanted to pitch it in, even if it would limit playability a ton.

The monster is returned to the hand at the End Phase of either players turn, so "of the turn it was Summoned" is a worthless addition and does nothing for the card.

Like I said, someone else could write it better.

Something I am not understanding here with most of the posts I'm seeing here though, why would there need to be a cost? If the monster goes back to wherever at the end phase and since spell cards go away to the graveyard after they are used (unless being continuous or equip), there is no reason for there to be some kind of cost as it is not some overpowered spell card. The way I am seeing this card is that it would be used for a quick defense when you have nothing else to protect you from a attack.

Like I said, someone else could write it better.

Something I am not understanding here with most of the posts I'm seeing here though, why would there need to be a cost? If the monster goes back to wherever at the end phase and since spell cards go away to the graveyard after they are used (unless being continuous or equip), there is no reason for there to be some kind of cost as it is not some overpowered spell card. The way I am seeing this card is that it would be used for a quick defense when you have nothing else to protect you from a attack.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Xyz_Monster

I like how when updated a more balanced version of it, comments stopped appearing.
I should make risky and/or broken effects more often.

Sooooo any thoughts about anything that needs to be done about it now?

Vanilla might "need" a push, but you can make ANY Rank you wish for pretty much, and Synchros are pretty freaking handy too. I have already said my suggestions, give it a cost or a condition.

I missed replying to this one.

This is just a more sophisticated way of saying "overpowered 6/10". When I'm asking, I mean, give me suggestions on what a good cost/condition would be like. I posted this card mostly knowing it'd need some sort of change. What I need is hearing what the change could consist of.

Of course, at this point, I already made a change, but it's something I wanted to point out.

Thanks for the comment though.

Archived