[Therrion Single Challenge 2/50] Gem of the Ice Barrier! R4R

Therrion

Rep4Reviews

cjl6.jpg

When this card is activated: You can target 1 "Ice Barrier" monster you control and 1 in your Graveyard; return the first target to your hand, and if you do, Special Summon the second target. When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: Add 1 "Ice Barrier" card, except "Gem of the Ice Barrier", from your Graveyard to your hand.

Inspired by: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/304071-sub-zero-hyena-of-the-ice-barrier/

[spoiler=Design Notes] So, I made this card with the above in mind. "Hmm, Ice Barrier and Fire Fist sound really interesting." I wanted an Ice Barrier card that Hyena could work with so that he could fit also in regular Ice Barrier Decks. My approach to this was make a Continuous Spell that would work in Ice Barrier with an effect worthy of play that gets even better when working with Hyena (destroyed). I wanted it to recur from the Graveyard, grabbing dumped Gantala's/other Generals, re-entering the fray OR rewarding your set up. I didn't want it to straight up revive, so I added some sort of draw back--- one that would work amazing with Hyena. I made it so it will return him to the hand, so that the very next turn he could be Summoned to destroy this card, causing another copy of this to be Set OR a Medallion search as well as a recycle of a card, perhaps a used Medalion or a dead Hyena, causing even more shenanigans for the Ice Barrier Deck. This craziness sounded a bit too good at first, but I came to accept the fact that Ice Barrier is extremely weak competitively as of the moment, their strategy being to fragile, and a little lack luster in comparison to how it was when their Synchros weren't banned. I accepted that they needed some crazy plays, as of now they are a very straight forward Deck. Thoughts? [/spoiler]

Could you please express your thoughts on the card itself? You didn't really say anything about it.

You managed to comment on the text below the card, and the thought I gave to it, however not the card itself. Also, broke AC, but I don't mind that.

Prefered Responce:

"Okay, I gave it a 7/10 because..."

Also, I edited the Design Notes to seem more appealing to the eye (changed Font). I believe it is easier, but if anyone has suggestions on how to make that more readable for the convinience of my reviewers, I will gladly accept that (after review, alternatively shoot me a PM just in case mods check this out).

Sorry. I was a little distracted and forgot to comment on the card itself. The effect seems pretty powerful at first, since it's a potential +1, but it doesn't actually help that much since you're limited in what you can add. It does help with bringing out a stronger monster that you might've lost. Admittedly, my understanding of the Ice Barrier archetype is a little poor since I've never really come across a user in any of my DN duels, so perhaps there's something I'm missing here.

But even so, it seems balanced to me, and from what I can gather from your design notes, supports the Ice Barrier archetype fairly well. I'd give it an 8.5/10, but as I pointed out earlier, the non-justified text makes it hard to believe that it's a real card. It's like a dead giveaway.

Ah, I thought you meant the Design Notes weren't justified. MSE Doesn't include an option to justify the text sadly, which bothers me but I prefer it over Yugislow (Yugico).

Well, Ice Barriers try to get Gantala to the Graveyard as well as a good amount of monsters he can revive for free each End Phase. This is helped immensly with the release of Tidal, so Ice Barriers have overall picked up speed in their plays. After dumping Gantala, Raiho usually follows, then the (forget name) guy who protects them from Card Effects. A lot of builds I see run Call of the Haunted, and while that is somewhat efficient, this could do that at SS1 for more instant results, speeding up the play a great deal.

It stays around also, which could make it reuseable if Brionac ever gets to the limited list again, and helps the aforementioned Hyena and dissuades Heavy Storm with the fact that it will be replaced.

[quote]MSE Doesn't include an option to justify the text sadly,[/quote]

Dude. I use MSE too, and all of my cards are justified.

Open up Magic Set Editor, go to the 'Style' tab, then change rules alignment from 'Not Justified' to "Justified'. You can thank me afterwards.

Archived