Girlfriend of 3 years broke up with me because I'm not a Christian

'tyleR

As title says, my girlfriend of 3 years whom I love deeply has left me because basically I'm not a Christian and she is, and she can't "Be with somebody of such different beliefs."

To say that I'm heartbroken is a complete fucking understatement.  I'm devastated.

It honestly sucks because we've always talked about our future plans and such.

Now I'm sitting here alone, slightly drunk, very high, not knowing what to do with my life.  I'd be crying if had more tears to cry, as corny as it sounds.

So YCM, how do you deal with break ups?

My solution:  Get fucked up.

Laugh I suppose? The way I see it she mustn't have loved you that much if she couldn't be with you due to "beliefs" lets be frank here, I feel she might have been pressured into it. The way it seems is her family are like bible bashers and found out that you aren't christian and as such GOD RID OUR DAUGHTER OF THY SINZZZZZZZZ.

When my fiance died, I cried. In fact, I STILL do. It was the most horrendous thing that had happened in my life. I didn't drink myself away, or get stoned, I just let it out.

-

Sorry for your loss, I really am.  Makes my issues seem so small in comparison.

Personally I don't really drink (I am only 20 so I still cannot legally), but I am a stoner of sorts so tonight I decided I'd go a little overboard.  Still feel like shit, found out that's why I couldn't be an alcoholic or a sad stoner, shit doesn't make me feel better.  Gives me something to do though.

And I don't know man, she has grown a lot in her "Faith" recently so I wouldn't be surprised.  I know she loved me and stuff so I can kind of accept it and see that if she thinks it's best for her then it probably is...

-

Sorry for your loss, I really am.  Makes my issues seem so small in comparison.

Personally I don't really drink (I am only 20 so I still cannot legally), but I am a stoner of sorts so tonight I decided I'd go a little overboard.  Still feel like shit, found out that's why I couldn't be an alcoholic or a sad stoner, shit doesn't make me feel better.  Gives me something to do though.

And I don't know man, she has grown a lot in her "Faith" recently so I wouldn't be surprised.  I know she loved me and stuff so I can kind of accept it and see that if she thinks it's best for her then it probably is...

Yeah, tends to happen when I tell people about it. Honestly bro, drugs and booze ain't gonna solve your problems, they'll still be sitting there once you come back to reality. The only way to get past them, is to face them.

The last time I have had a girlfriend was like 7 years ago and when she broke up woth me, I was completely fine with it, and I'd still be fine with it if I had a GF today. (That doesn't mean I wouldn't be be sad about it, I was sad when she broke up with me, I just didn't want to show it)

Me and my girlfriend are currently breaking up. It sucks bad, I broke down twice Saturday, and I don't cry. :I 

However, its going smoothly and we're staying friends. Still gonna keep in touch, hang out, etc. 

Still sucks hardcore. :c

And now I'm stuck in a tough situation because if it were anyone else I'd tell them to suck it up and stop being a vagina.

However I'm not going to say that here, not only because you're a friend but because I know your character. 

In the 4 or so years that I've known you, not once have I ever seen anything phase you. That's what makes it so tough, I legitimately feel for you and wish you nothing but the best. 

This is probably one of the only times I truly wish I didn't know you merely through a monitor.

Imploring you not to drink is probably good advice, but I'd rather be getting intoxicated with you. 

Keep your head up. That's the best I've got, but just know that I legitimately care for you bro. 

And now I'm stuck in a tough situation because if it were anyone else I'd tell them to suck it up and stop being a vagina.

However I'm not going to say that here, not only because you're a friend but because I know your character. 

In the 4 or so years that I've known you, not once have I ever seen anything phase you. That's what makes it so tough, I legitimately feel for you and wish you nothing but the best. 

This is probably one of the only times I truly wish I didn't know you merely through a monitor.

Imploring you not to drink is probably good advice, but I'd rather be getting intoxicated with you. 

Keep your head up. That's the best I've got, but just know that I legitimately care for you bro. 

This.  I haven't known you as long, but Night is right.  As long as I HAVE known you, you were solid in your emotional standing and character.  To hear you say you're devastated is huge to me.   At first I was going to say she loved you for the wrong reasons, but she was with you for almost four years.  It couldn't have been wrong.  That being said, don't go and hurt yourself (whether it's weed, alcohol, or something else).  I'd rather know you had a manly cry (I'm serious) than hear you od'd.  And in the words of Tupac and Night (apparently) ya got to keep ya head up.

I can't really relate to the whole dating thing, but I will provide a little anecdote on my life about this.

I was naturally being casual during class (back when I was still in high school), chilling. I occasionally got flattering remarks from this one chick (sometimes about, how good my ass looked in a certain pair of jeans, oddly enough), even though I got some of these remarks from others, but not as much as her. Really, I wouldn't have been surprised if she wanted to go out. She never asked me, and I didn't care.

Then she said, "You should come to church with us."

I NOPE'd so much inside.

Really, that's one thing I hate. Someone hits on you, and then they ask you about your religion. Really, why does my personal preference on religion (or non-preference, for lack of a better term), matter if I would/could potentially get a girlfriend?

Really, that's one thing I hate. Someone hits on you, and then they ask you about your religion. Really, why does my personal preference on religion (or non-preference, for lack of a better term), matter if I would/could potentially get a girlfriend?

See, it might not matter to someone with no religious beliefs such as yourself, but if you believed in the afterlife, would you want to commit to a relationship with someone who you did not believe would end up in the same afterlife as you?  And beside that, if people have a strong faith in something, it will be a very large part of their life, so a potential "mate's" beliefs would definitely be relevant.

However, I do know that the "You should come to church with us," bit can be REALLY obnoxious sometimes.  

Me and my girlfriend are currently breaking up. It sucks bad, I broke down twice Saturday, and I don't cry. :I 

However, its going smoothly and we're staying friends. Still gonna keep in touch, hang out, etc. 

I feel it would be hard to stay as friends since theres always that lingering affection. Plus if one of you starts dating someone else, the other person will start to get jealous, so it'd be hard for both of you to completely move on imo.

I've never dated in my life but instead purposely friend-zoned myself with multiple girls. My best friends are girls and are like sisters to me.

I'm so irrevocably terrified of being rejected like that that I simply don't ask anyone out.

Since your instinctive response to her ditching you was to appeal to YCM's disproportionately anti-Christian memberbase to comfort you by condemning her then I probably don't need to tell you that it wasn't meant to happen, nor do I need to tell you that your being heartbroken won't do you any good.

I've always loved the ability of Christians to accept all other ideals. As long as it is their ideal.

I can't really relate to the whole dating thing, but I will provide a little anecdote on my life about this.

I was naturally being casual during class (back when I was still in high school), chilling. I occasionally got flattering remarks from this one chick (sometimes about, how good my ass looked in a certain pair of jeans, oddly enough), even though I got some of these remarks from others, but not as much as her. Really, I wouldn't have been surprised if she wanted to go out. She never asked me, and I didn't care.

Then she said, "You should come to church with us."

I NOPE'd so much inside.

Thanks, typical YCMers. Keep doing what you can be relied on to. 

Seriously though, I do hope you find someone you actually love.

I've always loved the ability of Christians to accept all other ideals. As long as it is their ideal.

Ahem. Generalizations don't help at all Yankee.

OT: The only break-up I've gone though was a mutual and peaceful one, so I don't know the pain you are going through. I can say that you just need to take one step at a time and get through this. Life is strange and it may put you through stupidity like what you are going through. Just keep going and take care of business.

-

Word, brother.  I've cried a good amount since Sunday.  I've had some major troubling keeping it together at work the past couple days.

At least you guys are working it out in a way that seems healthy for you two.  I commend you for trying to keep a friendship going.  I want to as well but I have no clue how it'll work out.

Also, talk to me more cause I miss my Eury.

-

Lol I have to say I'm glad you didn't tell me to stop being a vagina 'cause you know my character causes me to have the balls enough to tell you to fuck off.  ;D

I really do appreciate it bro.  It means a lot that you have my back.  You know you've always been my brother.  Always will be.

This.  I haven't known you as long, but Night is right.  As long as I HAVE known you, you were solid in your emotional standing and character.  To hear you say you're devastated is huge to me.   At first I was going to say she loved you for the wrong reasons, but she was with you for almost four years.  It couldn't have been wrong.  That being said, don't go and hurt yourself (whether it's weed, alcohol, or something else).  I'd rather know you had a manly cry (I'm serious) than hear you od'd.  And in the words of Tupac and Night (apparently) ya got to keep ya head up.

-

Trust me I had many a manly cry.  I have no doubt she loved me for the right reasons.  No worries, though, I will not be OD'ing any time soon.  

Kinda funny actually, I listened to that song yesterday, just listening to some of my Pac library on shuffle.  Such a good song/  Either way, thanks for being there man.  You know you're my brother, as well man.

She actually texted me today, we talked about it for a bit...We might have one last date together, she'll just come over, I plan on fixing us dinner and stuff.  I'd rather leave it at that we had one last good moment together, no problems, no worries, no bullshit, just one last day that shows we loved each other and we had an amazing time together. She agrees for the most part.  I mean, obviously I hope this may change her mind but I'm not going into it with the mindset that I want to make it about that, I just wanna leave this chapter on a good note if it really is ending.

And honestly, she said that the whole religion thing was the problem at first but I think she just needs to figure some stuff about her life out.  My city holds a lot of bad memories for her, as many good memories as it has.  Her brother, a Marine and the first veteran from Iraq to come back in our state, super strong willed man, killed himself in May.  He obviously had problems with PTSD, being in two major fire fights, injured in both, the only reason he lived the first time is because (and I'm not shitting you, as much as this sounds like it's from a movie or something) his friend literally laid on top of him and took most of the rounds.  She's had to live with his instability and he had flashbacks and such, so it's caused her a ton of pain.  The more I think about it and compare it some of the stuff she told me today, I think her being here and thinking about this place causes a good amount of sadness.  While I wish she told me that originally if that is the case, I understand so much more now and I don't blame her at all.

She's leaving for college soon so I think she is just trying to get away as much as she can.

Idk I'm really confused and mentally worn but I think it makes more sense than the bullshit religious reason she gave me.  I just know she wouldn't do that, and that's why I was so hurt before is because it literally made no sense.  I'm still hurt but it's much more bearable thinking of it this way.

To Rakim:  Being that you haven't the faintest clue who the fuck I am and how the fuck I work I don't expect you to know I've argued for Christianity on this forum much more than I have argued against it and it wasn't my instinctive response to come here and make YCM bash my ex because of her decision, the last thing I want is for a bunch of people who don't know her to think she's an idiot or a bitch.  I came here because out of all the places I could go and vent this is the place that, no matter how much I despise some of the numbnuts here I know that no matter the reason for my break up people will express care and support for me.  At the time I needed it.  While I appreciate the last note, don't make assumptions like that.  Makes you look like a goddamn fool.

To Rakim: Being that you haven't the faintest clue who the f*** I am and how the f*** I work I don't expect you to know I've argued for Christianity on this forum much more than I have argued against it and it wasn't my instinctive response to come here and make YCM bash my ex because of her decision, the last thing I want is for a bunch of people who don't know her to think she's an idiot or a b****.

Then why the fuck would you name the topic "Girlfriend of 3 years broke up with me because I'm not a Christian"? I know you're going through a lot right now, I know you invested a lot of yourself and your time into someone, but I saw that as throwing her under the bus and being heartbroken shall not be a VIP access card for you to make that sort of bitch move in the future if something like this ever happens again. I think of love as being about self-sacrifice, and you should know that "Girlfriend of 3 years broke up with me because I'm not a Christian" is painting her in the worst kind of light from YCM's political point of view.

While I appreciate that last note about how she might have been motivated a tad by her brother having had PTSD and having killed himself (you don't suppose that might hold a little more weight in the equation than your not being a Christian?), I do hope you know precisely how awfully suspect it sounds when you hadn't mentioned it in your initial post, and that this discrepancy makes you look like either a goddamn troll or like a condescending hypocrite who cringes from harsh realities until they can be used to score points against your opponent.

Being that you haven't the faintest clue who the f*** I am and how the f*** I work

THEN WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU AND HOW THE FUCK DO YOU WORK?!?! You can thank me later for showing you how caps can make you even less subtle.

I came here because out of all the places I could go and vent this is the place that, no matter how much I despise some of the numbnuts here I know that no matter the reason for my break up people will express care and support for me.

Don't worry, your armada of hateful numbnuts will console you, it's what we're here for after all isn't it?

Will you be able to grow from this and move on or sink into a vicious cycle of self-pity relying on others to comfort you? I want to hear you out. Human being to human being, seriously. But I can't put on a happy face and regurgitate half-baked insincere rhetoric, and neither I nor anyone here should be expected to without knowing exactly what happened.

You can't trivialize love, you can't patronize people you have harboured resentment for by simplifying or sugarcoating the truth. What has just happened to you was brutal and excruciating, and if you don't come to terms with it in all its ugly reality then it will embitter you, it could turn you off love. Don't let that happen.

Then why the fuck would you name the topic "Girlfriend of 3 years broke up with me because I'm not a Christian"? I know you're going through a lot right now, I know you invested a lot of yourself and your time into someone, but I saw that as throwing her under the bus and being heartbroken shall not be a VIP access card for you to make that sort of bitch move in the future if something like this ever happens again. 

-

What in the literal fuck?  I named it that because of three reasons.  The first being that was the reason she said when we first talked.  The second being I wasn't really thinking "Hmm...maybe I shouldn't say that it was because I'm not religious.  YCM doesn't like that."  Because literally, that was the LAST thing I gave a fuck about.  The third reason being that I didn't count on an ignorant little bitch like you showing up and throwing a fit equivalent to my fucking two year old cousin.

I think of love as being about self-sacrifice, and you should know that "Girlfriend of 3 years broke up with me because I'm not a Christian" is painting her in the worst kind of light from YCM's political point of view.

While I appreciate that last note about how she might have been motivated a tad by her brother having had PTSD and having killed himself (you don't suppose that might hold a little more weight in the equation than your not being a Christian?), I do hope you know precisely how awfully suspect it sounds when you hadn't mentioned it in your initial post, and that this discrepancy makes you look like either a goddamn troll or like a condescending hypocrite who cringes from harsh realities until they can be used to score points against your opponent.

-

To the first paragraph, look above.  Thankfully, hardly anyone here, save for you and a couple people who expressed distaste for that in general (and who had enough decency not to trash her for it), made any mention of it, rather commenting on the break up itself.

To the second paragraph, I can respectfully say to you FU[i][/i]CK OFF.  I do hope you realize that I stated that I came to that conclusion after I talked to her yesterday.  Unless, again like my two year old cousin, you can't read.  And motivated a tad?  You're one of the most ignorant pieces of shit I've seen on her yet, and I've been on here for over 5 goddamn years.  You know what the fuck suicide like that does to people?  If not, let me give you a little fucking clue.  He took his pistol, driving in his SUV, and shot himself in the head as he was passing our Veteran's Affairs office.  He crashed into five cars, ran two others off the road.  Now, not only did that happen, she had to VERIFY HIS IDENTITY.  Her last image of her brother is one with a hole in his head.  She also had to get the car with her other brother from the impound lot, his blood and shit soaked and stained into the ceiling.  That's traumatizing for anyone.  I don't know if it's clear to you now, but forgetting this place for awhile makes a good amount of sense.  If she needs to break up with and forget me to do that I support her decision fully.

And I don't cringe from harsh realities you motherfucker.  I've been a troll in the past, and I've been a hypocrite just as much as the next person, but I would NEVER be so disrespectful to just bring that shit up for points arguing against trash such as yourself.  ALSO, I didn't even see your post until I completed mine.  I had to edit mine so I could prevent myself from double posting and still respond to your ass.  So no, it wasn't for the sake of arguing.  Remember what I said?  Oh, no, I forgot you don't read.  Here I'll repeat it in a way that's easy for you to understand.

THEN WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU AND HOW THE FUCK DO YOU WORK?!?! You can thank me later for showing you how caps can make you even less subtle.

-

ASSUMING MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A GODDAMN FOOL.

There, now you have caps, bold, and size 18 font.  Can't miss it now, can you?

Don't worry, your armada of hateful numbnuts will console you, it's what we're here for after all isn't it?

-

If you want to go there, I said I despise SOME of the numbnuts here, but instead of "people" I should have said the friends I have here.  Really, though?  Are you that desperate for...points, as you say?

Will you be able to grow from this and move on or sink into a vicious cycle of self-pity relying on others to comfort you? I want to hear you out. Human being to human being, seriously. But I can't put on a happy face and regurgitate half-baked insincere rhetoric, and neither I nor anyone here should be expected to without knowing exactly what happened.

-

I don't know, human being to human being, I'd be a little worried about anyone who was able to move on from 3 years of memories and love in as little as 3 days.  I'm not asking you to put on a happy face and give me your pity, if you care and are genuinely sorry then you are.  If you aren't then whatever, you don't.  I would expect enough respect to not make a shitstorm out of literally nothing for the fuck of it.  It's unnecessary, it's disrespectful, and it's pathetic.  It makes you look like an attention seeking little shit for a human.  

Of course eventually I'll be able to move on, I'm not a weak bastard.  Anyone who knows me, here or in the real world, can attest to that.  I think I have the right to vent and grieve for a few days after if I please, though.

You can't trivialize love, you can't patronize people you have harboured resentment for by simplifying or sugarcoating the truth. What has just happened to you was brutal and excruciating, and if you don't come to terms with it in all its ugly reality then it will embitter you, it could turn you off love. Don't let that happen.

-

I harbor no resentment.  I'm hurt, not angered.

That one little paragraph is literally the only you typed that holds any relevance.

Now that I'm done with you and all your bullshit, I'd like to continue the actual topic of discussion and accept my warning for all the language and shit that I spewed.  I'll probably get a little flaming warning too, but you know what fuck it.

As soon as you read this, you have my permission to shut the fuck up.

Archived