Hell King Deathblast

Synchronized

3WowjmP.jpg

[quote]Cannot be Special Summoned by the effect of a Spell or Trap Card.  When this card is Special Summoned: Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; destroy that target.  If this card is Normal Summoned: You can target up to 2 cards on the field; destroy those target(s).  This card cannot attack directly during the turn this effect is activated.  You can only activate 1 effect of "Hell King Deathblast" per turn, and only once that turn.[/quote]

With all the new Zombie support coming out in Shadow Specters, (and the hopeful return of Mezuki to 2 in September), I wanted to design something that gives Zombies a bit more of a solid win condition, which I always thought was the one thing they were somewhat lacking.  The first restriction was something I put in place to prevent abuse with stuff like Monster Reborn/Call of the Haunted, especially because bringing this thing back is a +1 in and of itself.  Zombie Master, Mezuki, etc. can already make effective use of it once you get it in the Graveyard so I wanted to make sure it didn't get out of control.

Special Summoning it allows you to hit a face-up monster, which I don't think is an unreasonable restriction at all, but considering how easy it is for Zombies to Special Summon monsters like this, I wanted to make an incentive to perhaps Normal Summon it, which is why I added that second effect in there.

It might be too slow, but either way I think it's a neat premise and would love some criticism/comments.

:D

Playability

Tribute Summoned monsters are slow, however, I won't just bash this card's playability with that fact. He redeems the -2 of tributing for big monsters with his double destroy effect, even if he does have that unnecessary cannot attack directly pushback. The Special Summon effect is hard to pull off (seriously, what monster can Summon this guy, excluding card's your opponent has like Vampire Bram), so it is hardly worthy of note. Overall, you have to have 2 monsters (or a double tributer) and you redeem the lost card advantage by doing so.

Flavour

Well, he does deathblast two cards upon Summoning, so I guess his name is rather straight to the point and fitting. Can't say I care for the name or the picture, but eh, it gets the job done.

Suggestions/Comments

-Replace the upon Special Summoning effect with another effect that ups this card's playability

As for the effect, I'm unsure. Perhaps a when he inflicts battle damage effect, you can grab one of the monsters used to Tribute Summon this guy and Special Summon it (if that is deemed to OP, just SS it in Defense Position). Otherwise, this is where realistic Tribute Summoned monsters kind have to be, which is still weaker then the faster options of Synchro/Xyz.

Well then, I stand corrected. He is a good casual Zombie.

Well, one of the things I think you're forgetting about is Pyramid Turtle, Zombie Master, and Mezuki, all of which can Special Summon this guy with ease.  In a build that focuses on filling up the Graveyard quickly, you can use something as simple as Foolish Burial, Ryko (in LS Zombie variants) among other things to get him in the Graveyard.  Then, you can just banish Mezuki, SS him, pop a card, and go from there.  The reason I wanted to make sure I didn't make him too easy to Special Summon is because of the fact that these prevalant Zombie monsters can do this already.  On top of that, he's a Recurring Nightmare target AND a target for Masked Chameleon (the Tuner), so there's plenty of ways to utilize him.  Again, in a Zombie-oriented build, there's also Plaguespreader Zombie which can work with this to make Star Eater.

Maybe I'm wrong?  But you can easily grab this from Deck with Pyramid Turtle with ease and have (at worst) a 3k beater.

Pyramid and Mezuki, yes, somehow I forgot those (facedesk). Zombie Master is 4 or lower.

I knew he was a Masked target, but at Level 9, that isn't really a big deal. None the less, Masked negates the effects.

You're right, I just looked up Zombie Master; thought it didn't have a restriction.  But besides the point, he's plenty searchable, and if you get him in the Graveyard with Foolish Burial, there's plenty of options.  Even with Masked Chameleon negating the effect(s), it's still a 3k beater.

Archived