[Therrion Single Challenge 12/50] Gladiator Beast Flamma

Therrion

64jb.jpg

When this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Gladiator Beast" monster: You can Special Summon 1 "Gladiator Beast" monster from your hand. At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card attacked or was attacked: You can shuffle it into the Deck; Special Summon 1 "Gladiator Beast" monster from your Deck, except "Gladiator Beast Flamma".

Murmillo stuck in hand? Bestiari? Got no Respite? Fear not, run one of these and you can Special Summon that card from your hand, benefit from its effect, and then make a Fusion/Xyz play if you so please. Yeah, a very simple card. I think 1 would be ran in an actual GB Deck, just as an option and a nice beater, especially considering it is Tenki searchable and Tenki makes it a 2000, which is nice.

I used to hate Gladiator Beasts when they first came out and having this card back then would've made me rage of so ever more. His effect is so simple, but fits incredibly well with the archetype. The summon from the hand not only allows for Xyz and the archetype Fusion plays, but also grants you an effect from another Gladiator Beast which you'd probably be using Murmillo and Bestiari for this. He also makes for a good attacker as well, but maybe the hand SS should exclude himself?

I like the art on the card. Who is the name of the artist?

Gladiator Beast decks usually run minimal copies of each monster anyways to expand the toolkit, I don't believe he will ever be Summoning himself, nor would that cause really any issues seeing how it'd just kill the hand of the player doing so. I COULD, but I don't feel it is needed. I would say "Let's wait for further input on this suggestion", but you are probably the only input I'll get.

I honestly don't know, I went digging through DeviantArt for ages and gathered a great deal of pictures doing so, but never took the time to scribble down the artists.

And sure, why not, here's a rep for being the first to review the card (though you didn't really have a very insightful review, I can overlook that as it is only a left mouse click to rep you).

It has been awhile since I have seen Gladiator Beasts cards, although I have been seeing a good deal of images that could be used for their archetype...but I digress. Haven't been around RC lately, and I am a bit out of practice, but a review I shall attempt.

First, I shall look at the aesthetics of the card. The template used seems a bit...low quality to me. I believe it is MSE, correct? In my opinion, even the template featured on this website looks better, however I do understand that MSE allows you to make cards much faster and more organized, or at least that was the case in my experience with the template. A minor matter, of course, as will most issues brought up in this part of the review. The picture is nice, as stated by FF Fan, definitely the embodiment of the Gladiator Beasts. The biggest problem I see with the aesthetics, although still a minor matter in the grand scheme of things, is the name. And in truth, it isn't really a problem, but a question. Is it named after a Roman Colosseum slave-warrior? Seeing as I am too lazy to check, I thought it would just be easier to ask you. 

Moving on to the actual card content. This would definitely be useful in a GB deck, for the uses you specify. It isn't like they necessarily need more ATK power, but nonetheless here it is. Also fixes the problem of drawing Beastiari first hand. Can't say that I am overly impressed with originality or creativity of the card, it does however do a job, and it does its job well. I agree that it would more than likely be ran at 1, and the need for a 'except itself' clause isn't exactly needed, although I can see the argument being made both ways. Because of that, I am staying Switzerland on that issue. 

Really not too much to say, it is a useful card that does what it is supposed to do. 

First off: Thanks for the time to actually jotting down your thoughts here Renegade, really appreciate it.

Yeah, lately I haven't really been the most creative person moreso then the efficient, role fulfilling card maker. It is most likely due to my love of making decks and strategies, and thinking of ways to make some of them more consistant and more often, thus my cards kind of reflect that approach of thinking.

Flamma was in fact a name of one of the famous gladiators. I didn't feel like doing a twist on the name as the other Beasts do have on theirs, as I'd probably veer too far off from the original name for the traces to be there. I agree whole heartedly that MSE has ugly Template, but it does work and as you said provides a very fast, organized experience. I'm a fast thought person, and if I don't have instant access to a brain dump, I will most likely move past the thought, but more so I'm just impatient and YugiCo (YugiSlow) takes years to load a single page.

Archived