magical gambler of possibility

[URL=http://s106.photobucket.com/user/somen00b/media/custom%20yu-gi-oh%20cards/misc%20magic/MagicalGamblerofPossibilities_zpsf579ad27.jpg.html]MagicalGamblerofPossibilities_zpsf579ad2[/URL]

Cannot be Special Summoned.. Up to twice per turn: You can discard 1 card; roll a six-sided die and apply the result. *1: Gain 800 life points. *2: Destroy the face-up monster(s) your opponent controls with the lowest ATK. *3: Return 1 card your opponent controls to the bottom of the deck. *4: Detach all xyz materials from monsters your opponent controls and if you do, you can banish 1 card your opponent controls.* 5: Xyz summon 1 appropriate xyz monster using monsters from your hand, field, and/or graveyard as xyz materials.*6: Draw cards until you have 5 cards in your hand.

[spoiler='previous version(s)']

MagicalGamblerofPossibilities_zps2005757

When this card is special summoned: shuffle 1 card from your hand or that you control into the deck. Up to twice per turn: You can discard 1 card; roll a six-sided die and apply the result. *1: Gain 500 life points. *2: Destroy the face-up monster(s) your opponent controls with the lowest ATK. *3: Return 1 card your opponent controls to the bottom of the deck. *4: Detach all xyz materials from monsters your opponent controls, then you can banish 1 card your opponent controls for each material detached this way (max 2).* 5: Xyz summon 1 xyz monster using monsters from your hand, field, and/or graveyard as xyz materials.*6: Draw cards until you have 5 cards in your hand.

[/spoiler]

Why'd I pick that artwork? Because I'd hate to see good artwork wasted on an illegal collector card.

rulings notes:

- If you roll a 5, the materials you use must be valid for the monster you summon

edit: now the above ruling should be clear from the card text..

I'm considering making this card be not special summonable. done

Really, really, REALLY powerful - and not in a good way. Unfortunately, I cannot reach the same positive consensus Bullet Monkey arrived at; to me, this card is vastly overpowered, and for good reason too:

• Spellbooks will love this guy. Spellbooks are power-hungry maniacs; they could summon this torpedo of a monster in an instant, and with Spellbook of Judgment and Spellbook Tower, your hand will almost always be full, meaning that the cost to roll would be too convenient and inexpensive.
  • Twice per turn? This gives you two chances at getting perhaps an all-out super draw or free XYZ. A gambler, in my opinion, shouldn't have second chances. If you really want to make a gambler, don't ignore these sort of things.
  • Special Summonable: TOO EASY. Call of the Haunted, Spellbooks/Prophecy, and other engines could get this guy out in a breeze.
  • Is he really gambling? Discarding a card to potentially XYZ Summon ANY applicable XYZ monster from your Extra Deck is a nightmare wrapped in a magical robe - literally. Now, I'm not saying that discarding isn't a gamble, but for the possible outcomes, it definitely isn't.

Well now, to soothe you a little. I may have exagerrated the overpoweredness of your card to make my point; in fact, its not nearly as bad as I described it. I kind of just wanted to really point out the potential problems this card holds. Regardless, however, there are many good elements to the card. First and foremost, the effects for rolling a 1, 2, 3, and even 4 are balanced. Those effects are warranted by the whole discard-a-card cost. But 5 and 6, on the other hand, are simply too powerful. My recommendation of changes:

If this card is Special Summoned, it cannot activate its effects. Once per turn: You can discard 1 card; roll a six-sided die and apply the result. *1: Gain 500 life points. *2: Destroy the face-up monster(s) your opponent controls with the lowest ATK. *3: Return 1 card your opponent controls to the bottom of the deck. *4: Detach all XYZ Materials from monsters your opponent controls, then you can banish 1 card your opponent controls for each material detached this way (max 2).* 5 or 6: Re-roll the die. If you roll below a 5, activate the listed effect for your roll. If you roll a 5, draw until you have 5 cards in your hand. If you roll a 6, XYZ Summon 1 XYZ Monster from your Extra Deck using monsters from your hand, field, or Graveyard as XYZ Materials.

First and foremost, it's not a (semi)nomi, so, say, call can bring this back or the frog engine can make him be tribute summoned.

The card is extremely luck-based. I'm not really a big fan of these types of cards, but regardless I'll go over each effect individually:

1: Sucks waaaaay too much. Increase the life gain, and add like a 1k boost to the card or a draw.
2: Fine and balanced. Fissure on a monster card, hits walls. Do carry on.
3: It's a pretty potent effect, but far from overpowered. Overall, it'd fine. Do carry on.
4: Woa-ho-ho! Now we get into the effects that are a little too good for their own merit. Doing a NGEPD is good enough already, now you've gotta go and wreck the poor guy's field too? I'd instead have it only banish 1 card. Then it's fine.
5: I think that this effect can technically Xyz Summon ANY Xyz as long as you have enough mats in the grave. Just to be sure that we don't make Heart-earths using Fire Fists as material, say "using appropriate monsters as the Xyz Material". The effect itself is innovative, which I like, but arguably overpowered. I'd add an attack restriction on either this card or the Xyz.
6: Wtf man.
Yamata Dragon effect is tooooo good for a card like this. This effect rewards you way too much for overextending and getting lucky with the dice roll. You should put a cap on the number of cards you can draw. 2 is ideal.

Also, to prevent "Gambler Turbo" from becoming a deck, I'd add the clause "This card cannot activate these effects the turn it was Soecial Summoned". This isn't essential like the above fixes, but is merely my recommendation.

Cheers.

Archived