Hey, remember this guy? The guy who ruined manga plot twists? His art is out:

GalaxyDragun-VJMP-JP-OP.png

For those of you who forgot what he does...

This card can only attack Dragon-Type monsters. If this card battles a Dragon-Type monster, negate that monster's effects during the Battle Phase only, also this card gains 1000 ATK during the Damage Step only.

I personally find it a shame this guy's taken so long to get to the OCG. He was at least a 1-card out to RaiDa for the Dragon Ruler match-up, now that deck is dead and he isn't even out yet. I'm not sure what uses if any he has at present, short of DNA Surgery *shudder*.

Is this relevant at all? Discuss that.

This card evidently exists as an out Kaito had to his own ace monster.

Why the hell do you need an out to your own one-of-a-kind monster? Especially an out in the form of a monster who can only suicide with your ace monster and is useless in every other situation? The inability to attack non-Dragon monsters makes this garbage. If it didn't have that line, it'd at least be kind of cool, in the sense it's a Level 4 Galaxy with 2000 ATK and becomes a 3000 Skill Drain against Dragons.

I suppose you could use DNA Surgery or something...but why bother?

Wasn't the manga version even worse, in that it specifically only had an effect against "Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon", instead of all Dragons?

Yeah, it was anti-GEPD in the manga.

Yes, I do seem to remember experiencing rage due to poor writing when a topic about the manga effect was made. Kaito using an anti-Galaxy-Eyes card was the writers trying to make Kaito seem prepared and brilliant when people have noticed long ago that Yu-Gi-Oh plot devices are absurdly specific to the point that any serious thought given to why a character would use that card is just contrived.

Imagine having a collection of cards in front of you and you're building the ideal Deck. Why would you run a card that only works against yourself? It'd be like Kaiba running a card that says "If your opponent controls a "Blue-Eyes White Dragon", destroy all "Blue-Eyes White Dragons" on the Field and inflict 3000 damage to your opponent". Except that card would still have strategic value by using cards to switch one of his Blue-Eyes to his opponent's Field, and only if you ignore the fact Blue-Eyes is a card he feels only he is skilled enough to wield, and he'll go berserk if you dare try to use it.

Well yeah, he would be the one and only guy I could see specifically running cards that only counter his own cards. He is supposed to be "the king of outs", so there's that. I do agree that it's stupid, but it's the anime, so even if he couldn't use it for attacking anything he can still use it as fodder (since he always has Galaxy Eyes).

I mean, come on now. This is the same guy who KNEW his opponent was going to steal his Acid Golem, and set a card specifically to trigger its effect.

Well yeah, he would be the one and only guy I could see specifically running cards that only counter his own cards. He is supposed to be "the king of outs", so there's that. I do agree that it's stupid, but it's the anime, so even if he couldn't use it for attacking anything he can still use it as fodder (since he always has Galaxy Eyes).

I mean, come on now. This is the same guy who KNEW his opponent was going to steal his Acid Golem, and set a card specifically to trigger its effect.

Easily justified that Kaito probably is really good at reading his opponents. He's shown that quality in many of his Duels in season 1.

- Against Yuma, he read that Yuma's Set card was something he shouldn't attack recklessly into. He showed no such concern for any of Yuma's previous cards.

- Against Shark, he read that Shark's set-up was baiting a high ATK monster.

- Against Astral, he could tell Astral was terrified of Galaxy-Eyes, and was a cautious, defensive player. He set a bluff to dissuade Astral from taking the offensive (On re-watching the episode, had Astral gone into Hope at that time, he would have won the Duel with absurd ease).

Galaxy Dragun, however, is just a plot device card that makes no sense.

Easily justified that Kaito probably is really good at reading his opponents. He's shown that quality in many of his Duels in season 1.

- Against Yuma, he read that Yuma's Set card was something he shouldn't attack recklessly into. He showed no such concern for any of Yuma's previous cards.

- Against Shark, he read that Shark's set-up was baiting a high ATK monster.

- Against Astral, he could tell Astral was terrified of Galaxy-Eyes, and was a cautious, defensive player. He set a bluff to dissuade Astral from taking the offensive (On re-watching the episode, had Astral gone into Hope at that time, he would have won the Duel with absurd ease).

Galaxy Dragun, however, is just a plot device card that makes no sense.

Yes, I do seem to remember experiencing rage due to poor writing when a topic about the manga effect was made. Kaito using an anti-Galaxy-Eyes card was the writers trying to make Kaito seem prepared and brilliant when people have noticed long ago that Yu-Gi-Oh plot devices are absurdly specific to the point that any serious thought given to why a character would use that card is just contrived.

Imagine having a collection of cards in front of you and you're building the ideal Deck. Why would you run a card that only works against yourself? It'd be like Kaiba running a card that says "If your opponent controls a "Blue-Eyes White Dragon", destroy all "Blue-Eyes White Dragons" on the Field and inflict 3000 damage to your opponent". Except that card would still have strategic value by using cards to switch one of his Blue-Eyes to his opponent's Field, and only if you ignore the fact Blue-Eyes is a card he feels only he is skilled enough to wield, and he'll go berserk if you dare try to use it.

I agree, it can be idiotic sometimes. "Oh look, this card counters card X in my .dek, a card which I alone wields. I'll run it just in case my opponent takes card X in a duel, then I'll feel good inside."

It sounds like it can still attack directly. Otherwise, it should read "This card cannot declare an attack, except against Dragon-Type monsters".

Actually, it states specifically that it can only attack Dragon-type monsters.  If it isn't a Dragon-type monster, it can't attack it (that includes the player).

Actually, it states specifically that it can only attack Dragon-type monsters. If it isn't a Dragon-type monster, it can't attack it (that includes the player).

But that could mean that it can only attack monsters that are Dragon-Type. I'm sure it cannot attack directly, but it'll still be nice for confirmation sake

Reverse Buster has the same wording, but no ruling saying it can't attack directly. As far as I can tell, the wording merely means it can't attack monsters that aren't Dragon-Type. It should still be able to attack players.

EDIT: I'm wrong. Reverse Buster cannot attack directly. Therefore, neither can this.

To be fair to Kaito, whenever I use my Galaxy deck, and my opponent topdecks topdecked Monster Reborn, they always, always chose Galaxy-Eyes to summon. It's a big beater that has a neat escape effect. I can see that people would try to use it against him.

P.S.: I do not advocate running Galaxy Dragun, even for this scenario.

P.P.S: Why can't there be any good Level 4 Photon/Galaxy monsters apart from Thrasher and Wizard?

Reverse Buster has the same wording, but no ruling saying it can't attack directly. As far as I can tell, the wording merely means it can't attack monsters that aren't Dragon-Type. It should still be able to attack players.

EDIT: I'm wrong. Reverse Buster cannot attack directly. Therefore, neither can this.

Well, the correct wording that you wanted to look for is something along the lines of "The only monsters this card can attack are Dragon-type monsters."  That would've removed the awkward scenario with not being able to attack the player.  Either way, the manga writers were smoking on something when making this card (seriously).

Archived