Monster Mash Contest (Finished)

wightpower

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joshyago17: Aw, sorry to hear that. You still have 10 days to mix Plants and Sea Serpents, but you can back out if you want.

Semi-Important Notice: I'm going on vacation for the next week or so, and I don't know what the internet situation will be, so I might not be able to get on here to see how your guys are doing. Just a heads up. I likely won't be commenting on any of your cards until the contest is over, so from this point on, trust your intuition and make the cards the best they can be. Good luck to you all, and I'll be back on October 1st to review all the final products.

I'm back everyone. This is the last day, so I'll be rating everything over the next two days. Once the clock hits midnight, everything is final (I'm on the East coast of the US, so I don't exactly know if that's the same time for you guys, so I guess there will be a margin of a few hours either way). The results and my final judgement will be done at some point tomorrow. At the latest, it'll be when I get out of work tomorrow night. You all still have a few hours to finish everything up, so get your last entries in.

Judging Completed!

I'd first like to thank you all for competing. This was a pretty fun ride, and not too bad for my first contest. In no particular order, here are my reviews and opinions on the cards you submitted. I'm not going to be grading your OCG unless it's obviously bad. I'm no master of grammar, myself.

TehTeaKing: (Pyro and Aqua) As I said before, I applaud you for making Ritual Monsters, and even more so for drawing your own images, but I felt you could have done a lot more with it all. At least give them some effects or value outside of just their passable stats. Even the spell card you made to support them is slow to work with only minimal payoff, and could've easily been replaced with the same effect as a monster effect for each monster. Your monsters had no inherent synergy with each other or other Pyro or Aqua monster, and you didn't so much "mash" your monsters as you made one of each type to fulfill the base requirements of the contest. Which is fine, but it was very underwhelming.

Darthakin: (Winged-Beast and Spellcaster) I greatly apologize for feeding your complexity addiction. I should have remembered to remind everyone that you are free to have as many types as you want as long as you focus on the two I first assigned to you. Moving on, I liked most of the images you went with, but I felt the flavor of your cards was a little lacking. I don't know; like I knew what you were going with having them all shift between different types to better suit a versatile tactical advantage based on what card is currently what type at different times, but I just didn't feel like there was any more unity among them than that. Other than their type, none of the cards seemed to have any way to work with each other well. To be honest, an this might sound strange, I felt like each and every one of your monsters had self-serving effects that completely ignored the well-being or usefulness of the other cards. Again, not a bad thing, but it felt less like an intentional strategy (much like Fiend monsters work towards) and more like you were trying to make each card (especially the later ones) more and more badass without connecting them to the previous monsters. My last note is that I never hear anyone say Overlay Units, and I think Ilustranosio might be the most broken card I've ever seen.

ThorgrimZz: (Insect and Zombie) Don't worry, I'm not docking you any points for crashing the entire thread. As for the cards, I liked what you seemed to be going with early on; a swarming archetype of Insects that focused on Ritual Summoning a bunch of undead insects to overwhelm the opponent with effects that boosted their stats. I feel like that sort of petered out down the line, though, and I started losing track of any cohesive strategy or good combos within the archetype. Looking back, the whole set looks very unfinished, and with a few more combos and modified effects, it could've done much better in the contest.

Psychic Spirituality: (Rock and Beast-Warrior) I'll admit the name change threw me off a bit. Good thing you didn't change your image, or I'd still be looking for Hippos and wondering where this new guy came from. Anyway, I really liked your cards. I quickly fell for the battle position changing strategy, and I felt like the flavor was perfect for the set. You pulled off a very difficult mash extremely effectively. Balance, creativity, and fun. Your entry hit every mark.

Scrooge: (Plant and Beast) I think you had the best cards per number. You were able to do some much with just two monsters, and both of them were wonderful. You got the concept of the contest perfectly, and this was an exceptional mash of two types. Also a ton of points for making a cool Union monster. I feel like I don't see enough of those. Both of your monsters had great synergy with one another and other monsters of the assigned types, and I would more than love to see either one in the real game.

Time 23: (Fish and Fiend) This was a great entry. Making your field card a ritual spell was a great idea, and I think you pulled off ritual support better than anyone else in the contest. Some of the grammar threw me off, but again, no loss of points. Work on that, and you'll be beloved by everyone on this site. I'll admit that these cards flow so well into one another and cycle through the field and graveyard so well that they might all qualify as game-breakers, but I'm not in a playtesting mood, so it's a moot point here. All 5 of your ritual monsters are awesome; more than capable of out-breaking many of today's Xyzs. These were all great.

HijackAttack: (Dinosaur and Thunder) I'm sorry, but you failed the base requirements for the contest (you only made 1 monster, despite how cool it was. You were required to make at least 1 monster of each type). However, because I probably should've checked everything more thouroughly and told you this back when you made your card, I'll still allow it, and rate your card. The name, image, and flavor are all great, and you did a great job mashing your types with this one. I love powerhouse dinosaurs, and this one is no exception. Still, I wish you made a thunder type-to support it. Maybe make something that counts as more than one card in the graveyard and returns to the grave if it's ever banished by a dinosaur's effect. You know, something to make a good combo with. This would have been a perfect entry if I only required 1 card, but sadly that is not the case.

dartz10: (Reptile and Warrior) I think you're the only one who made normal monsters, which was very refreshing. I liked a lot of your cards, and especially the odd tactic of focusing on Synchros and Xyzs and the level 7. Really good stuff. My only concern is that I feel like you could've made better combos between them, and I can't help but think it would be too difficult to realistically pull off a deck with any of these cards. In any case, you handled your mash very well. If at all possible, here or in the multiple cards section, please post your cards so everyone else can see them. You did a great job.

Faytl: (Dinosaur and Fairy) You pulled off your combination very well. The idea for your archetype was brilliant, and I never would've considered such a good mash of dinosaurs and fairies. I loved the stages-of-time-between-dinosaurs-allowing-you-to-special-summon-fairies strategy, and the synergy between your monsters was perfect. The artwork, names and flavor were all excellent. Like I mentioned above, please find a way to post these either here or in the multiple cards section so everyone else can see them. You did a great job.

Unfortunately, several other contestants either dropped out or didn't submit any cards before the end of the contest. Sad face.

Final Rankings: This was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be, but I've come to a decision:

3rd Place (60 points): Psychic Spirituality

2nd Place (140 points): Faytl

1st Place (200 points): Scrooge

Well, that's that. I again want to thank all of you for participating. I had a lot of fun, and I hope you did, too. I definitely plan on doing another contest in the near future, so I hope to see you all again at that time. Congratulations to the winners.

All participants must now do the Monster Mash!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOFCQ2bfmHw

Judging Completed!

Time 23: (Fish and Fiend) This was a great entry. Making your field card a ritual spell was a great idea, and I think you pulled off ritual support better than anyone else in the contest. Some of the grammar threw me off, but again, no loss of points. Work on that, and you'll be beloved by everyone on this site. I'll admit that these cards flow so well into one another and cycle through the field and graveyard so well that they might all qualify as game-breakers, but I'm not in a playtesting mood, so it's a moot point here. All 5 of your ritual monsters are awesome; more than capable of out-breaking many of today's Xyzs. These were all great.

thank you,, I'll try to make my OCG better,, and for the grammar I think it was just an inattention :D

Wightpower, thank you very much!

I would also like to congratulate all fellow contestants who came up various creative combinations for the sake of this contest. 

You have been an excellent host, and provided a very creative theme.

I expect more contests from you!

Thank you very much!

Archived