Need help with this Great Moth remake idea.

wightpower

I don't know why, but I have a fondness for Great Moth, and I've been trying to design a retrained/remake of the monster that would allow Petit Moth and Cocoon of Evolution to be important again. The name and attribute and flavor all tie into another low-level moth monster I'm still planning on making called the "Pyro Moth of Destiny" (you should be able to figure that one out on your own), but I just wanted to know if you guys had anything to improve this card or fix my OCG or anything:

Fate Moth 

Effect Monster

FIRE

Insect

Level 8

2600 ATK/2500 DEF

You can Special Summon this card from your hand by Tributing 1 "Petit Moth" equipped with "Cocoon of Evolution"; increase this card's ATK and DEF by 500 for every turn that the tributed "Petit Moth" was equipped with "Cocoon of Evolution".

I chose the name because of the lame rhyme, but I just figured I'd ask for help for the effect. The basic point is that it's an 8-star with sub-par stats if you Tribute Summon it normally, but if you can keep a Petit Moth on the field for a few turns, you can beef up your Fate Moth when you finally summon it. If you keep Petit Moth on the field as long as you used to need to to summon Great Moth (4 turns), your Fate Moth will be summoned with 4600 ATK and 4500 DEF. I don't want to change the base stats because they're the same stats as Great Moth, but I really like the effect so far.

Any feedback, corrections, and ideas will be appreciated.

The problem is, it's really hard to protect petit moth, and this certainly does not really woth the effort since in those 4 turns, you're probably be dead before you can summon this in its 4600 ATK glory. If you get to summon it, then you'll be worrying about veilers and destruction, which is everywhere these days. It took more than one card to make petit moth playable, and it took more to make it good(without making petit obsolete). First, try to think about a card that let petit moth survive those turns, then a card worth the summoning effort that can protect itself or is worth more than a huge beatstick, a card that gives you faster access to petit moth, and a card that can fix dead hands if you run the deck.

Well I figured getting a 3100, 3600, 4100, or 4600 ATK moth would be good either way. At the very least, I want a moth that is more useful than Great Moth (because waiting 4 turns while protecting a hopeless Petit Moth just to bring out something with only 2600 ATK is horrible.) I think there are already enough generic cards that can protect petit moth for at least 1 turn (swords of revealing light, heart of clear water, waboku, etc.) Pyro Clock of Destiny and the aforementioned Pyro Moth of Destiny I planned on making will hasten the turn count to beef up Fate Moth and allow you to Special Summon it without your opponent being able to react. However, do you think I should add something like this after Fate Moth's current effect?:

Once per turn, when this card would be destroyed by a card effect, you can banish 1 Insect-type monster from your Graveyard to (save Fate Moth from being destroyed, but I don't exactly know the right way to word that). When a face-up Petit Moth you control is destroyed, you can discard this card from your hand; draw 2 cards.

Would those effects round it out more? Make it more forgiving to the controller?

''When this card would be destroyed or is targetted by a card effect, you can banish 1 Insect-type monster in your graveyard to negate that effect and destroy it. You can discard this card from your hand when a ''Petit Moth'' you control is destroyed to draw 2 cards.'' sounds good imo. Still need a way to reliably have petit face-up with cocoon and still have some protection.

How about some support cards based around the cocoon itself? Some kind of "Cocoon of Hyper-Evolution" or "Perfectly Ultimate Cocoon" or something like that?

Cocoon states:
"You can equip this card from your hand as an Equip Spell Card to a face-up "Petit Moth" on the field. If equipped, the ATK and DEF of "Cocoon of Evolution" is applied to "Petit Moth"."

So, how about a little name-sharing effect? "While this card is face-up, its name is also treated as "Petit Moth"." That way, cocoon can be applied to a monster with a protective, or any other kind of effect.

"This card is treated as Petit Moth equipped with Cocoon of Evolution" would be another effect to slap on a card, if you wanted. That way you can have like a small beater just sit there and tribute it when ya wanted. If you want Petit Moth to actually play a role, just count on using it for costs, etc.

A cool name for a card would be "Drawn to the Flame." Lol just to have a lame pun.

For curiosity's sake, what's the chain of evolution here? Petit + Cocoon > Larvae > Great > Perfectly Ultimate?

Archived