Return of the Monarchs!

Anubyys doesn't follow the theme of Monarchs in that they have 1k DEF, and then it's a better Thestalos (who doesn't suck in the first place, just doesn't get in because the Deck only needs Caius and Raiza). It's also a Spellcaster, which could potentially give them access to Norito (rather than running Delg the Dumb Monarch or Red Enchanter-name-Idon'tremember). It would be nice if it wasn't a replica of a pre-existing Monarch, but no, you had to make Thestalos cry.

Armour, in addition to being a very weak ATK boost with a Life Point cost (which makes it completely inferior to Axe of Despair or United We Stand), it works against the best playstyle of the Deck - Frognarchs. You can give it a protective effect (of either itself or the monster, the latter is preferred), get rid of the cost, and boost the ATK it gains a bit so it could be an interesting choice in Monarch builds that don't rely on the Frog engine.

Gravvias also doesn't work in your standard Frognarch build, it would only really work in Zombie-Monarchs for a free SS. Zombies would abhor the fact that it shuffles two of your monsters back into the Deck though, so you could get rid of that. It also has a DEF score that doesn't work with the Monarchs' flavor. Other than that, I suppose you could use it in Zombie Decks for Rank 6 Xyzs, though Zombies like Rank 4s much better.

Monarchs Unite befuddles me a bit. Does it only protect them from BTH and other effects that would go off when they get Tribute Summoned, or would the Tribute Summoned Monarchs be protected while that card is on the field (like March of the Monarchs)? Anyway, the second effect is particularly nasty, should the setup be right for it. But given the whole need for a setup and the fact that Treeborn doesn't like it, this seems ok, even if the design isn't spectacular.

Retribution, like most of these cards, don't work well with the Frognarch style since it would prevent Treeborn from being Summoned. Anyway, this is pretty much a Scrap Dragon as a Trap card that only works with or against Monarchs. Losing a Monarch is a pretty decisive blow to a Monarch player, so this would only work best as an awkward side option.

Return looks like it is supposed to be a Normal Spell Card, but it probably would work as a Quick-Play. Being able to Special Summon any monster is a bit iffy of an effect, but I suppose you were intending that monster to be a Tribute for the Monarch. Being able to retrieve your Monarchs is nice, even if this could potentially mess up your engine if you Set it and can't get it to activate.

Skaales is much too reliant on your opponent to be of much use, though the control is permanent. As with the others, it has an awkward DEF. However, monster-snatching is a particular nasty effect, so it would probably be better to make this do something else rather than buff the effect. If anything, it could work with Reptiliannes, but I don't know if they like to Tribute Summon or not (I suppose they wouldn't, though).

Also, I am somewhat sure that the Monarchs are supposed to have only 8 monsters, since it's supposed to be the seven ancient kings of Rome (plus an eighth one that was mentioned in some sort of biblical text or whatever - IDK).

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't noticed that I forgot to comment on Tombus. He goes against the flavor of most Zombie-Type monsters by not being searchable by Goblin Zombie (which hurts it a lot). Gravvias also suffers from this problem since his DEF is weird for a Monarch by being not-1000. Also, only working off of being destroyed by battle hurts Tombus a lot. The only redeeming factor he has is his beefy ATK score, but that's not much since Zombies like to Xyz into even stronger monsters.

And while I did say that the Continuous cards would hurt the card's playability in being ran in the best version of the Deck, there are also other versions of the Deck that can be ran, like Zombie-Monarchs or whatever else can generate enough Tribute Fodder to prevent your Monarchs from being dead in your hand. This, however, doesn't change the fact that Armour is completely inferior to cards such as Axe of Despair or United We Stand, both of which boost by higher amounts, have no cost to use the card, and are generic (you could keep the 400 boost since it brings them to 2800, which is the same ATK as this super-Granmarg thing that was released recently. If you do, just make sure it does something else so it can have some sort of perk over Axe, UWS, or even Black Pendant). Nor does it make Retribution that much better since, again, losing a Monarch is nothing to take lightly.

But really, change the DEF of your Monarchs to 1000. It fits better with the flavor and it makes Gravvias searchable with Goblin Zombie (which really helps it). I'd also like it if, as I already stated, Anubyys was changed to not be a completely more powerful version of Thestalos. Skaales, also as previous stated, could also do with a do-over so it wouldn't be a 2400 vanilla against Decks that run no 0-DEF monsters or rely on other cards for it to work at all. Gravvias, once you get rid of the whole shuffling monsters back into the Deck bit, could be pretty nice for swarming Zombies or for Tribute Summoning Dark End Dragon by SSing Plaguespreader, even if its slow speed makes it unappealing when compared to Zombie Master and the Gogogo engine, who can swarm with Rank 4s pretty often.

Archived