Kaito's Ritual Done Right

玄魔の王

First off, Paladin should specify its effect activates without Damage Calculation and during the Damage Step. Otherwise, it'd cause a replay.

Secondly, Quantum's search effect should NOT be there. Why? Because it can then be run in Photon/Galaxy Decks WITHOUT the Ritual Monster, and more or less be treated as a Reinforcement of the Army for Photon/Galaxy monsters with no drawback whatsoever.

First off, Paladin should specify its effect activates without Damage Calculation and during the Damage Step. Otherwise, it'd cause a replay.

Yeah, sorry, forgot the timing. Although I didn't actually plan to have it be in the Damage Step, just the Battle Step so it was chainable like Galaxy-Eyes.

Secondly, Quantum's search effect should NOT be there. Why? Because it can then be run in Photon/Galaxy Decks WITHOUT the Ritual Monster, and more or less be treated as a Reinforcement of the Army for Photon/Galaxy monsters with no drawback whatsoever.

The idea came to me from the Ritual Discussion thread in Banlists & Theory, where a few members expressed sentiment that what Ritual Spells needed was a secondary effect, and one that didn't specifically connect to the Ritual Summon. At the time I made this, I couldn't think about what else to make it.

Just an idea, but you could turn the second effect into a Graveyard effect: "You can banish this card from your Graveyard: [insert search effect here]". However, I have no experience with Photon/Galaxy so I don't know if such effect would make them more powerful than intended.

Another idea is to let the Ritual summon the Paladin from the deck, who in turn is be able to summon Photon Dragon, so in the end the Ritual would virtually have this effect:

Tribute 1 Level 4 or higher monster in your field or hand: Special Summon 1 Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon" from your hand or Deck.

But again, with no experience with the deck, I don't know if this effect would be too much.

Altough, these 2 effects combined would give you a Ritual Spell that Summons the dragon boss while replaces itself with a Photon/Galaxy monster, for a total of a +0:

(If I am not missing something)

-2 from Tributed monster and Ritual Spell

+2 from the dragon's summon and the monster search.

In paper that would be balanced, but summoning the boss AND searching a monster is no small feat.

I mention this for you to consider it, but also because I would like to know if such card would give Photon/Galaxies the push they need to be on par with the meta, or if it would outright break them.

I'm happy to see my Ritual Thread was mentioned ^0^

This thread's Ritual Monster's intended effect sounds good to me.

A Mystic Swordsman that banishes. Part of me wants to say something about how the monster is permanently banished and stays face-down, but thinking about it again, back in the old days with the little amounts of a card's re-use, you might as well be doing that. Just updated. I think I like it.

I agree with the idea of giving an extra use to the Ritual Spells, although I believe searching effects like that could potentially eventually become an angular stone for a strategy similar to Gishikis.

Also, I advice this to keep in mind:

Just make sure that when you add an additional effect to your Ritual Spell, it doesn't blatantly become a better use than using it for the Ritual, to the point where it's intended Main Purpose can be not included in a Deck.

I can see a searchable and recyclable RotA thanks to the Icon.

I'm happy to see my Ritual Thread was mentioned ^0^

This thread's Ritual Monster's intended effect sounds good to me.

A Mystic Swordsman that banishes. Part of me wants to say something about how the monster is permanently banished and stays face-down, but thinking about it again, back in the old days with the little amounts of a card's re-use, you might as well be doing that. Just updated. I think I like it.

I agree with the idea of giving an extra use to the Ritual Spells, although I believe searching effects like that could potentially eventually become an angular stone for a strategy similar to Gishikis.

Also, I advice this to keep in mind:

Just make sure that when you add an additional effect to your Ritual Spell, it doesn't blatantly become a better use than using it for the Ritual, to the point where it's intended Main Purpose can be not included in a Deck.

I can see a searchable and recyclable RotA thanks to the Icon.

I just realised that actually. Summon Manju, search Quantum, pitch Quantum for Galaxy Wizard, Prep of Rites, summon Paladin using Manju, swing and Banish, Main 2 make Galaxy-Eyes. Technically all at +0, but with a deck-thin of 4 cards I can see the issue. When I thought of it, it seemed like the added consistency the deck needed, but I realise now that can overtake the intended purpose.

Any suggestions on a better effect?

Perhaps we can take a page out of Miracle Synchro Fusion's book and change the condition to "If this Set card is destroyed by your opponent's card effect and sent to the Graveyard:"

This will make its alternate use more difficult to trigger, and give it some use as a bluff.

I like it.

I'm not too experienced with "Galaxy" cards. I'm guessing their purposes are to bring out Galaxy-Eyes and to aim for Rank 8's while settilng up for Rank 4s if they can't.

You could give it a Level-changing effect.

You could make it able to bring out the Ritual from the hand or Deck. That'd eliminate a little bit the need or Ritual-oriented Deck dedication and consistency. Then you could give it a Monster Reincarnation-like effect for Galaxy.

Or something bizzare like equipping it to a Galaxy monster as an equip card, and instead of being destroyed by battle when attacking a bigger monster, have the equip go to the Graveyard and start the Ritual Summon, using the monster it was battling as a Material. Or something like that.

Or.. it occurs to me that Tributing Tefnuit is 2/3 of Neo Galaxy Eyes right there. I was trying to think a way to complete it. Although thinking about it, a 4500 ATK is probably not something one wants consistently out.

There is also the "draw a card if destroyed" usage mentioned above. Which could exchange "draw" for something else too.

But yeah.... these are random thoughts of mine.

Archived