Chain Paradox

Trebuchet MS

Some things that tend to grind people's gears is how most Counter Traps work. They tend to negate only the most recent activation in the Chain, so one who is crafty with their SEGOC can arrange their cards such that the opponent is unable to negate what they want to negate.

So why not create a card that can counter anywhere in the Chain except the card immediately preceding it?

MukYodN.jpg

Activate as Chain Link 3 or higher; Negate the activation of a card effect whose Chain Link number is equal to or less than this card's Chain Link number - 2, and if you do, banish it.

Do you like paradoxes? I think I do.

A sheer pity that they didn't reprint the CDIP Chain Link cards with PSCT or come up with better support, so that I know how they would be errata'd in the current PSCT writing style.

Guest Imperiused

I love this idea. And I'd certainly have use for a card like this. Also, if I'm reading the card correctly, this card can only counter the chain link immediately preceding the link before it, rather than any link other than the one this card follows?

I love this idea. And I'd certainly have use for a card like this. Also, if I'm reading the card correctly, this card can only counter the chain link immediately preceding the link before it, rather than any link other than the one this card follows?

Suppose this card is on Chain Link 4. It is capable of negating the card on Chain Link 1 or 2. If Chain Link 5, it can negate the card on Chain Link 1, 2, or 3.

If that sounds rather overpowered, I can restrict it to hitting only its current Chain Link -2, and no further.

Guest Imperiused

Suppose this card is on Chain Link 4. It is capable of negating the card on Chain Link 1 or 2. If Chain Link 5, it can negate the card on Chain Link 1, 2, or 3.

If that sounds rather overpowered, I can restrict it to hitting only its current Chain Link -2, and no further.

Ah, I understand the source of my confusion now. There is a discrepency between the lore on the image and the lore written beneath. The lore below the image reads "whose Chain Link number is equal to or less than this card's Chain Link number - 2," while the image's lore reads "whose chain link number is this card's Chain Link number -2".

In any case, I don't think that it is overpowered. It's just a good card. We don't get enough cards dealing with chains. I was thinking about making a archtype that relied on chaining for summoning, but that is off topic here.

Archived