Spirit Guardians [7/7]

Ren✧

huqagy.jpg

The Spirit Guardians

A 7 Card Set

Created by ~Renegade~

Credit to Chaos Sonic for the idea behind Niu

With the door to the Spirit World open, the spirits are in more danger than they ever have been. The guardians from times long since forgotten have been awakened to protect their brethren. Will they once again be victorious in protecting the spirits from the tyranny of man or will the mortals triumph like they almost did before?

noYq669.jpg

Cannot be Special Summoned. During the End Phase of the turn this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: Return it to the hand. You can Normal Summon this card by Tributing 1 monster: Its original ATK becomes 2000 and its treated as a Level 5 monster. When this card is Normal Summoned, you can apply 1 of the following effects depending on this card's Level:
• 3: You can Tribute Summon 1 Spirit Monster this turn in addition to your Normal Summon or Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)
• 5: If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can Special Summon 1 Spirit Monster from your hand or Graveyard, regardless of Summoning conditions. This Special Summon is treated as a Normal Summon and the Special Summoned monster's effects are negated and it is treated as a Level 5 monster.

HgDtG68.jpg
Cannot be Special Summoned. During the End Phase of the turn this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: Return it to the hand. You can Normal Summon this card by Tributing 1 monster: Its original ATK becomes 2000 and its treated as a Level 5 monster. When this card is Normal Summoned, you can apply 1 of the following effects depending on this card's Level:
• 3: You can Tribute Summon 1 Spirit Monster this turn in addition to your Normal Summon or Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)
• 5: When this card declares an attack: Change the attack target to Defense Position. If this card destroys a Defense Position monster: Inflict double the piercing damage to your opponent.
VTsbH1i.jpg
• 5: When this card is returned to your hand from your side of the field: Return 1 Spirit Monster from your Graveyard to your Deck, then add 1 Spirit Monster from your Deck to your hand.

8TI8K66.jpg
• 5: This card can attack every monster your opponent controls. If this card destroys 2 or more monsters your opponent controls in 1 turn: You can discard any number of Spirit Monsters; draw cards equal to the number of Spirit Monsters discarded.

o9sn553.jpg
• 5: If this card would be returned to your hand: You can send 1 Spirit Monster from your Deck or hand to the Graveyard instead.

ayBlaRM.jpg
2 Spirit Monsters
Cannot be Special Summoned, except for Fusion Summoned by sending the above cards from your hand or Field to the Graveyard. During the End Phase of the turn this card is Fusion Summoned or flipped face-up: Return it to the Extra Deck. You can Fusion Summon this card from your Extra Deck by sending up to 3 Spirit Monsters from your hand or Field to the Graveyard. If you do: Its original ATK becomes 2500 and its treated as a Level 5 monster. When this card is Fusion Summoned, you can apply 1 of the following effects depending on this card's Level:
• 3: Special Summon 1 "Spirit Token"(Winged Beast/LIGHT/Level 3/ATK 1000/ DEF 1000), then you can Tribute Summon 1 Spirit Monster this turn in addition to your Normal Summon or Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)
• 5: When this card is returned to the Extra Deck: Special Summon 2 Spirit Monsters from your Graveyard in Attack Position, regardless of Summoning conditions. The Special Summoned monsters cannot declare an attack and their effects are negated. The Special Summoned monsters cannot be destroyed by your opponent's cards(by battle or card effect) until your next Standby Phase.

DqQImyM.jpg
2 Level 5 Spirit Monsters
Once per turn, instead of conducting your Normal Summon or Set: You can Special Summon 1 Spirit Monster from your Graveyard or Deck, regardless of Summoning conditions. The Special Summoned monster is treated as being Normal Summoned. This effect can only be activated and resolved while this card has Xyz Materials attached to it. If this card would be destroyed by a card effect: You can detach 1 Xyz Material; negate the card effect and destroy it.

[hr]

Just a brief disclaimer that I do not own any of the images used. This is my first time creating cards in a long time, so I am a bit rusty and I fear my card making skills may have suffered because of that. As always, constructive criticism as well as OCG help are always appreciated. REPS will be given for good reviews! :D

First off, love the whole Okami feeling with the art! <- Loves the game ^w^

Now, a bit of a thought for you: have you ever thought of a way to keep the Spirits from just leaving the field after the turn's end? Perhaps a way to negate one of the effects to at least have them remain on the field. Just a thought, never was good with Spirit monsters.

All in all, I believe this set (along with the original Spirit monsters) may make one interesting deck combination.

First off, love the whole Okami feeling with the art! <- Loves the game ^w^

Now, a bit of a thought for you: have you ever thought of a way to keep the Spirits from just leaving the field after the turn's end? Perhaps a way to negate one of the effects to at least have them remain on the field. Just a thought, never was good with Spirit monsters.

All in all, I believe this set (along with the original Spirit monsters) may make one interesting deck combination.

Like maybe have an optional cost to keep a spirit on the field? Its an interesting concept...and I do have one last image to use...I'll think on that. Thanks Sonic :D

Laohu:
The first card, thus the first impressions are here. It seems interesting to say at the least, the gimmick now evident in this archetype - Level 3s are significant, but Level 5s are desired. This card's initial effect is what I assume will make it the Staple. By enabling Tribute Summons you'll be able to create Level 5s easier. The Level 5 effect makes it able to pop out a Lv5 for the shiny Rank 5 Xyz of this archetype, too; but it require battle destruction. While not a bad thing at all, the current format praises vicious backrows. It may be more difficult to pull off, but is respectable nonetheless. Definite staple of the series.

Houzi:
Now I see the recurring nature of the first effect, it creates an interesting potential weakness to the series I'll cover in the overall section. This card, from what I read, would be less favourable in a Deck due to the piercing nature - however, the position change may actually be favourable. An interesting tech card for the series. This card has a fix needed in the fix section.

Zhi:
Another Staple for the series, being the searcher. It does the job of the Spirit Guardians well, encouraging the notion of tributing that the series promotes, but through it's effect it serves as a powerful card. Getting fuel in the hand, for this series at least, would be vital, making this a key card.

Mogui:
This one is certainly interesting. The effect would destroy any dead draws you have in your hand and allow you to draw, which thins the Deck well; it seems quite good in this sense, especially how it's effect demands you to destroy 2 monsters with it first. Another interesting Tech card.

Niu:
Ooh, now this card is very interesting. This series seems very heavy in consuming your hand's resources, yet to keep field advantage with this guy (which is what you want) you'd have to ditch a Spirit first. Odds are it'd be Deck where you'd toss away Spirits, making neat fodder for Zhi. It is a good combo card in this sense.

Niao:
This card has two fixes, see below to spot them. Anyway, this card is clearly meant for speed at the risk of field/hand presence, which are the two key weaknesses this Deck faces. It does give them amazing speed, however, providing the fodder you can use in order for the Rank 5 very well.

Long:
The Boss Man. A whopping ATK base and the ability to cycle the Spirits faster and faster for more Rank 3s and 5s, only doing so when Xyz Materials are in it's belly. Of course it can be destroyed by battle, or returned to the Extra Deck - it's pretty solid, a perfect card for the series' boss monster.

Overall:
I'm not sure about the flavour, I cannot be because I've no idea about Okami or anything it is about. I'll have to simply trust it is there! Anyway, this is a pretty solid series you've made. They have the ability to keep cycling themselves and somewhat contend with their Spirit Boundaries well by outright f*cking them in the mouth. The key weaknesses they have is field advantage, and hand advantage, since it is likely you'll burn 2 cards minimum per turn - but that only goes to balance out the cards on the whole. For a long break you've done a pretty damn good job.

Fixes:
- Houzi: Change "Inflict damage to your opponent equal to double the difference between this card's ATK and the destroyed monster's DEF." to "Inflict double the piercing damage to your opponent."
- Niao: Unless intended, change "You can Fusion Summon this card by sending up to 3 monsters from your hand or Field to the Graveyard. If you do: Its original ATK becomes 2500 and its treated as a Level 5 monster." to "You can Fusion Summon this card by sending up to 3 Spirit monsters from your hand or Field to the Graveyard. If you do: Its original ATK becomes 2500 and its treated as a Level 5 monster."
- Niao: Change "When this card is Normal Summoned, you can apply 1 of the following effects depending on this card's Level:" to "When this card is Fusion/Special Summoned, you can apply 1 of the following effects depending on this card's Level:"
- Overall: Consider the issue of Milling/Special Summoning other Spirits such as Yamata Dragon or Hino-Kagu-Tsuchi due to how you've phrased the cards.

Laohu:
The first card, thus the first impressions are here. It seems interesting to say at the least, the gimmick now evident in this archetype - Level 3s are significant, but Level 5s are desired. This card's initial effect is what I assume will make it the Staple. By enabling Tribute Summons you'll be able to create Level 5s easier. The Level 5 effect makes it able to pop out a Lv5 for the shiny Rank 5 Xyz of this archetype, too; but it require battle destruction. While not a bad thing at all, the current format praises vicious backrows. It may be more difficult to pull off, but is respectable nonetheless. Definite staple of the series.

Houzi:
Now I see the recurring nature of the first effect, it creates an interesting potential weakness to the series I'll cover in the overall section. This card, from what I read, would be less favourable in a Deck due to the piercing nature - however, the position change may actually be favourable. An interesting tech card for the series. This card has a fix needed in the fix section.

Zhi:
Another Staple for the series, being the searcher. It does the job of the Spirit Guardians well, encouraging the notion of tributing that the series promotes, but through it's effect it serves as a powerful card. Getting fuel in the hand, for this series at least, would be vital, making this a key card.

Mogui:
This one is certainly interesting. The effect would destroy any dead draws you have in your hand and allow you to draw, which thins the Deck well; it seems quite good in this sense, especially how it's effect demands you to destroy 2 monsters with it first. Another interesting Tech card.

Niu:
Ooh, now this card is very interesting. This series seems very heavy in consuming your hand's resources, yet to keep field advantage with this guy (which is what you want) you'd have to ditch a Spirit first. Odds are it'd be Deck where you'd toss away Spirits, making neat fodder for Zhi. It is a good combo card in this sense.

Niao:
This card has two fixes, see below to spot them. Anyway, this card is clearly meant for speed at the risk of field/hand presence, which are the two key weaknesses this Deck faces. It does give them amazing speed, however, providing the fodder you can use in order for the Rank 5 very well.

Long:
The Boss Man. A whopping ATK base and the ability to cycle the Spirits faster and faster for more Rank 3s and 5s, only doing so when Xyz Materials are in it's belly. Of course it can be destroyed by battle, or returned to the Extra Deck - it's pretty solid, a perfect card for the series' boss monster.

Overall:
I'm not sure about the flavour, I cannot be because I've no idea about Okami or anything it is about. I'll have to simply trust it is there! Anyway, this is a pretty solid series you've made. They have the ability to keep cycling themselves and somewhat contend with their Spirit Boundaries well by outright f*cking them in the mouth. The key weaknesses they have is field advantage, and hand advantage, since it is likely you'll burn 2 cards minimum per turn - but that only goes to balance out the cards on the whole. For a long break you've done a pretty damn good job.

Fixes:
- Houzi: Change "Inflict damage to your opponent equal to double the difference between this card's ATK and the destroyed monster's DEF." to "Inflict double the piercing damage to your opponent."
- Niao: Unless intended, change "You can Fusion Summon this card by sending up to 3 monsters from your hand or Field to the Graveyard. If you do: Its original ATK becomes 2500 and its treated as a Level 5 monster." to "You can Fusion Summon this card by sending up to 3 Spirit monsters from your hand or Field to the Graveyard. If you do: Its original ATK becomes 2500 and its treated as a Level 5 monster."
- Niao: Change "When this card is Normal Summoned, you can apply 1 of the following effects depending on this card's Level:" to "When this card is Fusion/Special Summoned, you can apply 1 of the following effects depending on this card's Level:"
- Overall: Consider the issue of Milling/Special Summoning other Spirits such as Yamata Dragon or Hino-Kagu-Tsuchi due to how you've phrased the cards.

I was afraid that I was gonna have to do without a royal review on this one :D So first off let me thank you for the review and the suggestions, all of which will be taken into consideration and most likely implemented. I will first respond to your overall suggestion in considering  the issue of other Spirit Monsters. This set of monsters, while possible to be ran by themselves, work best when combined with the other spirit monsters, especially the spirit boss monsters. So while the gimmick of being able to special summon such powerful walls is definitely something to keep an eye on, I think with the way it is, that I haven't broken the game too much. If anything I believe I've just given Spirits a leg up in today's meta game. 

As far as flavor goes, I have to admit that I know nothing about the Okami game, and didn't even realize that these pictures were from there. I just liked the feel that they had about them. It seemed very spiritual to me, lol

Thanks again, Kyng! I'm happy to be getting back in the game! :D

Archived