Hey guys! So this is my second(ish) archetype on this site and I decided to do something more ambtious than last time. I've put everything into spoilers including the introduction; so that the shameless self advertising you do is less in your face ;). The main theme is Arcane Circles enchanting normal people to give them Special Powers. Cool isn't it?

[spoiler='Introduction'] So if you know my other work: (http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/308980-magical-bladesman/#entry6303465) You'll know that the main theme was it was based on Normal Monsters. Well in fact all the archetypes I make revolve around Normal Monsters (including the two WIP projects that need to be balanced before release) So yeah this one is based on the theme, giving Normal Monsters effects. That sounds super paradoxical but the archetype will explain everything. Title is bolded, rationale is in normal text. If I need to rewrite the lore due to it being illegible that will be done in italics, but I don't think I need to.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='The Abtruse Runes']

Abtruse Rune Incantation

993H12e.jpg
Lore: Once per turn, you can tribute 1 "Abstruse Rune" to target 1 face up Normal Monster that you control. The targeted monster is treated as an Effect Monster and it's effects become that of the tributed "Abtruse Rune". If this effect is activated by a monster, the targeted monster is unaffected by your opponents card effects until the end phase. You can only control 1 face-up "Abtruse Rune - Incantation".

The crux of the deck, and the numero uno of power. The card's basic role is to support the other Abtruse Runes by giving them as effects to Normal Monsters who then can use them as an effect. Sound confusing? Well I'll first get out another one then we can explain the cards simutaneously.

Abtruse Rune Rapaciity

IgK7zwe.jpg
Lore: Once per turn, you can discard 1 Normal Monster to draw 1 card. If this effect is activated by a monster, draw 1 more card. You can only control 1 face up "Abstruse Rune - Rapacity"

Are things making a bit more sense now? Oncer per turn these continuous spell cards can activate there effects, but then a more powerful version can be activated if the effect is activated by a Normal Monster. Cool isn't it? Plus you can very deliberately activate the effect as the Spell Card first, then use Abtruse Rune - Incantation to activate the more powerful ability letting you use more. I realise that Abtruse Rune - Incantation's Secondary effect is unrelated to it's first (by the way, the card CAN use it's effect on itself) but Rapacity shows how getting a Normal Monster to use the effect can make it more powerful.

Abtruse Rune - Augury

KWStSIK.jpg
Lore: Once per turn, you can banish 1 Spell Card from your graveyard to add 1 Spellcaster-Type Normal Monster from your deck to your hand. If this effect is activated by a monster, special summon that monster from your hand. If a monster is special summoned by this effect, it cannot be used as a Synchro or Xyz Material. You can only control 1 face up "Abstruse Rune - Augury"

This card single handedly turns this deck from a Normal Monster deck to a Normal Spellcasters Deck. Witht his you can grab more Normal Monster Spellcasters to enchant with Incantation, or to use as Rapacity fodder. Plus you can use the powered up effect to Special Summon ANY Spellcaster type Normal Monster from your deck. Fairly brutal. Below in the "Normal Guys" Section I'll have a list of the best Spellcasters that can be grabbed all thanks to Augury. It's a pretty strong beatstick card but the inability to Synchro or Xyz those monsters off limits the OPness and focuses on the hitting.

Abtruse Rune - Bloodlust

OmUd7Sd.jpg
Lore: Once per turn, you can target 1 monster you control, increase it's ATK by 800 until the End Phase. If this effect is activated by a monster, the targeted monster inflicts piercing damage until the End Phase. You can only control 1 face up "Abstruse Rune - Bloodlust"

I'm well aware that sometimes Cosmo Queen's 2900ATK isn't enough punch (Blue-Eyes was gloating until this point). Well who'se laughing now Blue Eyes White Dragon? This is a beatdown deck; and by God it's going to be an awesome one. By using this effect twice (Thanks to Incantation Double Powers) Cosmo Queen can grab a 1600ATK Steriod for one turn to fight with 4500ATK! Sounds too scary? Well you have to remember that Queen is still just a normal monster. A Normal Monster that Mirror Force is all too happy to destroy.

Abtruse Rune - Eradicate

kjQu6vM.jpg
Lore: Once per turn, you can pay 1000 life points to target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls, destroy it. If this effect is activated by a monster, banish that monster instead. You can only control 1 face-up "Abtruse Rune - Eradicate".

Trap cards are this deck's main worry, due to the fact that with this card; Marshmellon bites the dust too. Once per turn you can pay a reasonable sum of self sacrifice to make your opponent's monster's destroyed. With a little bit of Incantation upgrading as well you can banish that monster completely. While you'll probably be steroiding your attack enough so that high attack target's won't be a threat anyway, getting rid of them early while this deck gets set up is extremely useful.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler='The Support Cards']
Every archetype needs good Support! Particularly an archetype this is literally just 5 Continuous Spell Cards.

City of Runes

mhiKcDG.jpg
Lore: Once per turn, you can discard 1 card to add 1 "Abtruse Rune" from your deck to your hand. If this card would be destroyed by a card effect, you can banish 1 face up "Abtruse Rune" you control instead.

Wondering how you could possibly draw the right deck at the right time? Well you can't; this deck was hopeless before I created City of Runes because you could never get the rune you needed out. Well now you can. This card gives the deck so much versatility but also presents it with a weakness; dependence on a field spell. While it's own effect does protect it to some degree, the whole; placing another field spell over it will plague this card's existence. Until you search another one of course. The fact that it relies on discards warrants running 3 of them and 2 terra forces.

Runic Disciple

FmNRhtz.jpg

Lore: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with this effect: Once per turn, you can target 1 "Abtruse Rune" in your graveyard, this monster gains that card's effects until the end phase.

Oh my, a monster! It's about time one of these guys showed up. Keeping with the Normal Monster theme this one's a Gemini monster. Meaning that it can be enchanted with Incantation or it Gemini Summon itself. Keep in mind that neither it, nor any other gemini monster, can Gemini Summon with an effect, due to the wording of the card stating that the Normal Monster's effect is changed not the card's effects are given. This girl's Gemini Effect is designed for late game, reusing Abtruse Runes that were destroyed for Incantation / Your opponent's amusement.

Runic Magician

EBBNINs.jpg

Lore: You can Special Summon this monster from your hand by tributing 1 face up "Abtruse Rune" card you control. When an "Abtruse Rune" is activated, place 1 Rune Counter on this monster. Once per turn, you can remove 3 Rune Counters from this card to double this monster's original ATK until the end phase. If this monster is destroyed by a card effect, add 1 "Abtruse Rune" from your graveyard to your hand.

Behold the Boss Monster! Actually not really, this guy's name is Jim, he's from Kansas. But in all seriousness he's not the boss monster, he's actually just another side card. He is good for wall breaking though, when you need a ridiculous amount of attack you can always Send him out, stack three counters, double his attack, use Bloodlust twice and viola! You now have a monster with 5600 ATK Points! Well that may sound crazy, giving this guy three stacks isn't the easiest thing to do. Plus he's not even the Boss Monster, that honour belongs to a Vanilla Card.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler='The Normal Guys']
This deck isn't self sufficient. We need Vanilla help! I've included links to the four best monsters Yugioh Wiki page.

Gemini Elf
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gemini_Elf

You gotta start somewhere, and these guys are a hot powerful start. Gemini Elf is exactly what this deck needs, a 1900ATK monster for gaining Incantation powers and starting the asskicking. Plus she/they are Spellcasters, meaning that you can search them out with the Vanilla Augury effect and get things started.

Cosmo Queen
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Cosmo_Queen

Did somebody say, brutal face monster? This is a 2900ATK Spellcaster who, unlike that filthy blue eyes, can be Special Summoned by the empowered Augury Effect! While she may have 100ATK less then her dragon cousin, Cosmo Queen packs quite the punch. Plus she can be enchanted herself and wield a wide variety of effects to go on a rampage.

Sorceror of Dark Magic
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Sorcerer_of_Dark_Magic

Boss fight! This is the real boss monster of the deck, and he is absolutely perfect for this deck. Through a two turn Augury Sumon (Technically you can do it in one turn but it'd be very hard) You can get the two tributes required to send out the big black badass himself! Negating this deck's primary weakness (Trap Cards) as well as allowing you to use your own trap cars (Magician's Circle is always useful) The Sorceror of Dark Magic can easily be the bane of your opponent's demise. Plus it has a nifty 3200ATK so you're not going backwards offensively either.

Also Useful

Dark Magician: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Magician - Sometimes paying the 400ATK is worth the support cards such as Dark Magic Attack.
Jinzo: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Jinzo - You can't always wait for Sorceror; and Jinzo is easily tribute summoned by using Augury Summons as tribute fodder.
Breaker: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Breaker_the_Magical_Warrior - For some quick damage or Spell/Trap Destruction of those pesky trap cars, saving beatdowns.
[/spoiler]

So what do you think? Any suggestions or comments upon balance. I have played some test games with my friend Ninesix1976, and it's fairly balanced. Storng but not invincible; playing at Lightsworn Level but still not enough to tackle Elemental Dragons. If there's enough request I'll cook up a playing guide as well.

Rather than blindly bump the topic I've decided to post the deck I used when playing with my friend instead. (Although, reception IS nice)

Beatdown Style Arcane Deck

Normal Monsters (9)

3x Gemini Elf

1x Mystical Elf

3x Dark Magician

2x Cosmo Queen

Effect Monsters (8)

2x Sorcerer of Dark Magic

2x Runic Disciple
2x Summoner Monk

1x Runic Magician

1x Breaker the Magical Warrior

Archetype Spell Cards (20)

3x City of Runes
2x Abtruse Rune - Incantation

3x Abtruse Rune - Augury
3x Abtruse Rune - Bloodlust

2x Abtruse Rune - Rapcity
1x Abtruse Rune - Eradicate
3x Magicial Dimension

2x Terraforming

1x Dark Magic Attack

Trap Cards (3)
3x Royal Decree

-----

Is this the best deck? Well probably not; I've missed a couple of cool opportunities here like Magician's Circle. But it's a pretty good first attempt. Plus it's extremely unique which makes it Special.

If I can't get another poster to discuss with I'll talk about other possibilities for decks in the next post.

This is definitely a very unique concept, and I think it can be powerful given the right circumstances. Personally, I would not use it because vanilla based decks are somewhat underwhelming and can leave you very stuck if you don't draw the correct cards, which in your case, seems to revolve around just 1.

The cards themselves have decent effects, but the entire basis of the decks relies too heavily on Incantation. Without Incantation, the deck is pretty much just Vanilla Spellcasters with Spell Support.

You definitely get a +1 for listing already existing support cards and showing how they can be useful. This deck is definitely strong in the right hands, but it also has it's faults.(but hey, what deck doesn't?)

Also, I don't think Spell Cards can be Tributed, so the effect should read something like "send 1 "Abstruse Rune" to the Graveyard"

1 more thing, I think the way you list the effects of the Spell cards (basic effect, then what would happen if triggered as a monster effect) has already been done in YGO by the Dark World monsters, so I think you can look to those if you want to brush up some of the "Official" grammar. (I feel like they already make enough sense though)

@above I didn't compare to the Dark World, but the rest of the grammar I grabbed from everywhere else is correct. The tribute point is probably right so I'll fix up on that. Also relying in Incantation is sort of the point, but with 3 City of Runes and 2 Terraforming it's ridiculously easy to grab so it really isn't a problem.

Trust me, drawing the right cards is ridiculously easy. If you draw a terraforming or City of Runes (Which you can have up to 6 of 40 cards) your basically set for the whole game. Provided you simply run a whole lot of Runes you should be set. In fact little things such as adding a banish a spell card cost to Augury and changing Bloodlust to an 800ATK bonus (from the original 1000) were done to stop this deck being overpowered!

So yeah the only thing I'm going to change from your advice will be the tribute/sent to the graveyard thing. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'd have to agree with hoom. The whole deck is centered around using normal monsters and giving them effects. The only way to do this is by the effect of Incanation. With out it, the whole deck is rendered pointless. And even with city of runes, once it's used, unless you have a tone of Magicians of Faith (or similar type cards), your going to be in trouble. How about a few support cards that can attach runes to monsters and or if city of runes could attach runes to monsters? Also, well done, I love the idea, truly, and this deck can be used in conjunction with any basic deck structure (warrior, aqua, ect.) but you have not given a purpose to it. Why not just use effect monsters? There needs to be some advantage.

Heres my idea (Just a thought): Why not implement a system that enables cards to switch the runes they have equipped. That way you'd have highly adaptable deck in which you can better prepare your monsters for any situation. 

Anyway I think you've done a great job and I can defiantly see Magic Bladesman becoming this decks deck master. 

I'm not sure why everybody sees relying on Incantation as a problem though. City of Runes gets out Incantation first turn with literally no effort due to the fact that you can run three of them and three terraformings to get it out really quickly. With the posted deck I got out Incantation on 4/5 games; so easily that I'm only running two with no issues. While I can see that this deck may be in trouble without it, the vanilla effect of Augury helps get an easy supply of meatshields and a single bloodlust on somebody like Gemini Elf gives them 2700ATK. Because the deck has a draw enigne, an enemy banisher, a steriod boost AND two search engines the deck would be really overpowered even if it didn't rely on Incantation.

As for switching runes, you'll never really need to if you get a new monster every turn (Hey boosted Augury). I haven't run it myself but with a Safe Zone or a Gagaga Shield your boss summoner isn't going to die anytime soon; giving you a new person to Incantation on every turn. Incantation is the hit-man target, and must be destroyed by your opponent if he doesn't want to lose to a 3 turn beatdown. (Because seriously, that's the amount of time this usually takes to win)

I think the Underpowered claims arrise from me not really explaining one thing well. You can only use the Spell Effects Once per Turn, and only the monster effects once per turn. But if you use the spell effect, then use Incantation to give the effect to a monster, you can use the upgraded effect ON THE SAME TURN. So for Bloodlust you can use it's effect, Incantation it off, use it again and now you have 1600ATK points. This + Gemini Elf = 3500ATK points. So with only two, easily searchable, cards support Gemini Elf can defeat Red Dragon Archefiend. It's necessary to force Incantation protection so that your opponent can have the opportunity to instigate strategy as well. After all, a good archetype needs weaknesses. *Cough*Elemental Dragons OP*Cough*

Archived