You look like you're going to lay an egg [Phoenexus archetype]

Bump, with updates. I realized that letting Baria SS itself allows for a nasty combo involving Leptis, but this is untested as of now and I'm not sure if I should fix it or not. Meanwhile, Malaca has been changed yet again, this time into a Level 3 Maindeck monster whom you can banish from your Graveyard in response to an effect that would negate one of your other Phoenexus monsters so that you can still use that effect. It's probably subject to change again, since I keep thinking that it's poor in design. Finally, Thapsus has finally been changed from its dreadful Xyz status. Now, it's a Level 7 Synchro who revives Level 4 or lower Phoenexus monsters from your Graveyard during your Standby Phase that follows its destruction, even if you revived this card.

Edit: Baria SSing itself prevents Tuners from being SSed during that turn, since the combo posted above is too powerful. Harry was buffed to be much more chainable, rather than only activating when the monster is Summoned. It's still bad.

• 2 weeks later...

In celebration of my current avi which hardly anyone will understand, I buffed Hadrumetum's middle effect to work during either player's turn rather than just the opponent's turn. Furthermore, I gave Thapsus a mini-Avarice effect upon its Synchro Summon and the "Summon a Level 4 or lower monster" effect now works even if Thapsus wasn't sent to the Graveyard by whatever destroyed it, allowing you to get a monster even if this was BTH'd.

More bumping brought by more changes. Call this the "Rank 5 edition."

Sicca now has an effect to discard a card to add a "Phoenexus" monster from your Graveyard to your hand.

Leptis's searching effect no longer has any limitations to the Level of the searched monster.

There is a new Level 5 monster, Phoenexus Oea. Oea can be Normal Summoned without Tribute if you already control a "Phoenexus" monster, and flips a monster face-down when it is Normal Summoned.

Minor edit: Altered Leptis to be able to be a Xyz Material for non-FIRE monsters.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump. Because new stuff, people who don't care.

Well, until now, I was against giving this archetype a Level 6 Synchro because of a [acronym='While Karalis is in the Graveyard: Normal Summon a Level 4 non-Tuner, Special Summon Tipasa, and then get a Level 1 monster on the field (Sulcis if you used Tacape, Songbird if not). Synchro Summon Iol, and then use Iol and your Level 4 to Synchro Summon the Level 6 "Phoenexus" monster, letting you draw a card. Revive Iol, and then banish Karalis to Synchro Summon Hadrumetum during your opponent's turn, giving you yet another draw on top of your Raigeki Break.']combo[/acronym], but given how easily this archetype can burn out, it's probably not that bad. I'll still go get it tested out.

Also, the 'Sab into Sab while Baria is on the field' combo doesn't feel really powerful now that you pretty much have to Summon Baria through Abdera. Just felt like pointing that out.

Oh, and I fixed the fake-invisible-icon problem that Harry had. It still sucks though.

Archived