SFaJxkL.png

fxZYyvh.png

You are among the villagers of Hamson, surrounded by the great Forest of Abkhazia. It is an olden time, a quiet time, a humble time, a simple time. The people in this town lived in community, and all is well and lively. Each day goes by with a smile on everyone's faces a they go about their day's work. The mayor, the centre of it all, keeps everyone of the community together and strongly so, a stout face against the harshness of life.

Yet everything changed on one fateful night. The sky was cloudy yet every now and then a full moon howled above the humble town. This sight was usually one of romance, tenderness, silence and peace, but tonight it brought forth the very threats that would forsake this town's very community, and shake them to their cores; for this night brought forth none other than the wicked beast of the moon - the Werewolf.

An Alpha Wolf stalked the night as it brought the first day of reckoning upon the town. In the night it had slain the a villager. The town, in uproar, begged the Mayor to find the culprit and bring him or her to justice for the sake of the community, the sanity of the people, and the lives of the weak.

Today is the first day since that event took place. The Mayor knows not how many wolves may be out there, nor does he know who may be the wolf themselves. However after much consolidation with the townsfolk, the town settled upon lynching the suspect each day until the werewolf menace was dealt with once and for all.

[hr][spoiler=Rules:][spoiler=Core YCM Rules:]1 – All relevant YCM Rules Apply.
2 – This is a PG-16 RP.
3 – Kyng is the Host of the RP, and have the final say about matters of the role play.
4 – Respect the Fourth Wall.
5 – This is an Anime/RPG-like role-play, and so will feature elements found in said environment (see http://www.cs.utah.edu/~duongsaa/more_htm/jk_100animeRules.htm" as a supporting document.) This can include but is not limited too: Chibis, Drastic Nose-bleeding, Hammerspace, and most importantly, character images.
6 – Should this occur, all PvP is to be planned between the players and written out in one post.
7 – Player Killing will be used to kill-off players only. There will be no means back into the RP if your character is killed off. If you wish to use PvP involving Player Killing, you must have the Host's consent.
8 – You may have a total of 3 characters for this Role-play.
9 – To be accepted into this Role-play, you must pay an entry fee of 1000 points per accepted character. These points are to be paid upon acceptance into this Role-play (submitting your app will cost you nothing.) These points are to show that you do plan to stay in this RP for the remainder of its run.
1st Corollary: Your points will be returned to you if the RP dies due to the (lack of) action of the Host(s), the RP is ended by the Host(s), or the RP is completed.
2nd Corollary: Your points will not be returned to you if you drop out of the RP, become inactive for [14 Days], or are kicked from the RP.
3rd Corollary: If the RP dies due to inactivity by all players, points will only be returned to those who attempted to stay in the RP.
4th Corollary: If you do not have the required entry fee, pay what you can. It will be up to the Host(s) to decide whether or not to allow your entry into the RP.
5th Corollary: Your points will be returned to you immediately once you are eliminated from the game.
10 – Applications will not be immediately accepted. Once a significant number of applications have been completed, a reviewing period will begin to determine accepted applicants.
11 – Reserves are not permitted. However, you're more than welcome to post WIP Applications.[/spoiler][spoiler=Special Rules:]

This game is a mesh between Role-playing on YCM, and the party game Mafia or, in this case, Werewolf. Here I will give detail the rules, as well as how the game will function on this forum, and supply a Wikipedia link since I'm too lazy to go into absolute detail. The Wikipedia page for referencing is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)

In its simplest form, this game is played by two teams: the werewolves, whose members know each other's identity, and the civilians, who at first know only the number of wolves in the game. I (Kyng) will be playing the role of Narrator and Game Master, and will assign the roles to each accepted app at random once all applications have been accepted.

There are two phases: "night," when the werewolves may eliminate a player from the game, and "day," during which players vote to "lynch" (eliminate) a suspect. These phases follow each other continuously until all players or a particular faction are deceased.

Some players may be given a role with a special ability. In this RP, these will include:
The Detective: an innocent who may "investigate" a player each night, learning that player's allignment from the Game Master.
The Mayor: an player who must bring the players to either settling upon lynching a suspect or sentence a suspect to incarceration. They may not vote themselves but may convey their opinion. Unlike any other role, this is public knowledge.
The Deputy Mayor: once the Mayor is killed, each day will result in 1 player, at random, be chosen to lose their vote but enable a lynching. They cannot opt for incarceration.
The Priest: an innocent who may protect a player from killing roles each night.
The Alpha Wolf: a werewolf who may mute a player for the next day (the same player cannot be muted twice in a row.)
The Butcher: an innocent who will kill the werewolf who killed this role.

Night

Once a narrator calls for night, all players will post their last posts, putting their character to sleep. The Game Master will then instruct all members of the werewolves in PM to pick a "victim" by replying in said private PM the name of their target. The name must be unanimous.

After this, the Game Master will then PM the Alpha Wolf privately, and instruct him/her to indicate who they wish to mute by naming the character of the target.

Then the Game Master will PM the Detective, and instruct them to indicate who's allegiance they wish to investigate. The allegiance of the name character will be revealed to them alone.

Finally, the Game Master will PM the Priest, and instruct them to target a character. That character will be immune to any nocturnal attacks that night.

Day

The narrator will post to indicate that night has passed. He will announce who "died" the previous night and reveal their faction and role, as well as reveal the silenced player. Dead players may not attempt to influence the game. Silenced players may Role-Play, however may not engage in any form of dialogue for the round.

Role-playing ensues, and all players will be called to the town hall to begin the process of lynching. At any point a player may accuse someone of being a werewolf and prompt others to vote to either lynch or incarcerate him. If over half of the players do so, the accused person is then either eliminated if lynched, his role is revealed, or is incarcerated in jail, being protected from attack and silencing but cancelling nocturnal roles. Only a Mayor can enable incarceration (a Deputy Mayor cannot.) Once this is resolved, some casual Role-play will be allowed for player interaction, 'til the Narrator announces night.[/spoiler][/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Application Form:]This is a frame-work of your app. Use this as a skeleton of what you will use to create your character. The following below is what is necessary for your application; however you can alter it somewhat. You may: add additional relevant sections (such as a biography/trivia/etc.), add character catchphrases, etc. You may not: shrink/grow font size for mandatory sections (such as 5 lines for Personality), delete/rename sections of the initial app, use inappropriate content for both YCM and the plot, etc.

Your application’s contents should be appropriate for the setting, so make sure it is!
*do not forget to specify where you want your application’s feedback should it be needed before acceptance, either via OoC Thread, or PM!

[spoiler=Application Template:]Personal Information
Character Name: (Nothing ridiculous please; your RP character’s name)
Sex: (Male or Female, no other's will be accepted)
[spoiler=Personality:](Spoiler Please: 5 lines of text minimum in order to be acceptable. Please note)[/spoiler][spoiler=Appearance:](Spoiler Please: Images are acceptable so long as they're appropriate with the plot, if not 5 lines of text without an image.)[/spoiler]
Other Information
(You may include any and all information that has not been used above, so long as you maintain the formatting. A popular choice would be your character's favourites, a little bit of trivia about your character, or even a theme song. Any information added here will always act in favor of your application of being accepted. Do not include if unused.)[/spoiler]Please Copy the Code below to make your Application:[spoiler=Application Code:]
[b][u]Personal Information[/u][/b]
[b]Character Name:[/b] (Nothing ridiculous please; your RP character’s name)
[b]Sex:[/b] (Male or Female, no other's will be accepted)
[b]Age:[/b] (Nothing ridiculous please)
[spoiler=Personality:](Spoiler Please: 5 lines of text minimum in order to be acceptable. Please note)[/spoiler][spoiler=Appearance:](Spoiler Please: Images are acceptable so long as they're appropriate with the plot, if not 5 lines of text without an image.)[/spoiler]
[b][u]Other Information[/u][/b]
(You may include any and all information that has not been used above, so long as you maintain the formatting. A popular choice would be your character's favourites, a little bit of trivia about your character, or even a theme song. Any information added here will always act in favor of your application of being accepted. Do not include if unused.)
* We do NOT accept people based on their speed of posting their application, but rather the effort that they have put into the application.[/spoiler][/spoiler][hr]
Character Roster:

I never really understood these kinds of games.
Why do the werewolves have to kill and be evil?
And what happens when there are no more civilians?

Werewolves have to kill because that's the rules of the game. That is how the game functions.

Werewolves being evil is all a matter of perspective - if you're a werewolf you'd probably think the civilians are evil for killing off your brethren.

When there are no more civilians, the Werewolf team wins the game and the RP is closed.

Werewolves have to kill because that's the rules of the game. That is how the game functions.

Werewolves being evil is all a matter of perspective - if you're a werewolf you'd probably think the civilians are evil for killing off your brethren.

When there are no more civilians, the Werewolf team wins the game and the RP is closed.

It just seems really simplified, and doesn't exactly allow for anyone to explore the ethics of their actions.

I mean, what happens if a Werewolf becomes too guilty and confesses to his crimes, as well as admitting who is who?

Or the Priest is corrupt and only saves his friends, and no one else?

It just seems really simplified, and doesn't exactly allow for anyone to explore the ethics of their actions.
I mean, what happens if a Werewolf becomes too guilty and confesses to his crimes, as well as admitting who is who?
Or the Priest is corrupt and only saves his friends, and no one else?

That's the point. It is simple, easy, and accessible to everyone. Furthermore, exploring the ethics of one's actions would potentially expose werewolves for lynching, so it ain't a smart thing to do.
Why would a werewolf be guilty when it is satisfying a need to feed? In addition to this, why would a player want to spoil everyone else's fun like that and contradict the gameplay mechanic which, in this case, is incredibly crucial?
A Priest can perform in such a way if they please but as stated in the rules section, I will handle a priest's protecting in Private PM.

That's the point. It is simple, easy, and accessible to everyone. Furthermore, exploring the ethics of one's actions would potentially expose werewolves for lynching, so it ain't a smart thing to do.
Why would a werewolf be guilty when it is satisfying a need to feed? In addition to this, why would a player want to spoil everyone else's fun like that and contradict the gameplay mechanic which, in this case, is incredibly crucial?
A Priest can perform in such a way if they please but as stated in the rules section, I will handle a priest's protecting in Private PM.

It just seems like it would create conflicts between gameplay and character.

Where would the motivations be in a werewolf character killing someone close to them?

It just seems like it would create conflicts between gameplay and character.
Where would the motivations be in a werewolf character killing someone close to them?

1 - Their team's victory.
2 - The lose of human rationality and feral mind of a hungry lycanthrope.
3 - The pack mentality of werewolves.
4 - The possibility of eliminating a threat to your fellow wolves.

Because:
1 - This site's Role-playing rules requires characters.
2 - Having a character allows a person to convey themselves IC.
3 - A game like this has amazing Role-play potential.

But didn't we just spend an entire conversation discussing how roleplaying won't affect the game?

How does this have "amazing potential"?

But didn't we just spend an entire conversation discussing how roleplaying won't affect the game?
How does this have "amazing potential"?

No, we just spent the entire conversation explaining how you should want to play your character's role properly in accordance to the game's rules.
How? Interaction during the suspect process between characters, suspicions, the sheer suspense created when the narrator announces night and day. How doesn't it have amazing potential?

Considering jumping in; I've seen a number of different Mafia games around the internet, but it's about time I actually partook in one :)

Although... I've a question I'd like answered before I jump into the fray:

How are the roles of the Alpha Wolf and the Mayor going to be distributed? I'm guessing they will be assigned differently from the other roles?

Considering jumping in; I've seen a number of different Mafia games around the internet, but it's about time I actually partook in one :)

Although... I've a question I'd like answered before I jump into the fray:

How are the roles of the Alpha Wolf and the Mayor going to be distributed? I'm guessing they will be assigned differently from the other roles?

A good question Admiral.

They will be distributed only slightly differently. The Alpha Wolf and the Mayor's roles will be distributed among the Wolves and Innocent Teams respectively.

Was that not clear? I swear I mentioned it in the Main Thread.

Wouldn't the role significantly affect character creation?

Anyway, it seems interesting enough. You can count me in.

Arguably, however if you let such roles affect your character to a sufficient degree you may end up exposing your character to an enemy team.

Try build you characters irrespective of their given roles.

So...we're building characters that will randomly be given roles?
What if the nature of the character conflicts with the role assigned?
Such as a scientist given the title of priest, or a minor made into the Mayor?

Of course.
People do not always get the jobs they desire in life.
The given examples would simply make hilarious role-play.

Archived