Never saw Yuya as female, just young/pretty-boy like. Name-wise it seems pretty uni-sex. Given the story and descriptions, I can see Yuya as a some-what mature person who just wants to bring smiles to faces of children. Might not be everyone's taste in protagonist, but let's face it. Despite how bad I've tried to like zexal, anything is better than a protagonist who cries over the death of people he's known for 5 seconds. If Yuma wasn't such a Cry-baby Uke, I could have liked him... Hnnnggghh!! Trying to keep this short, but I started to rant... *Switches to points*

• Manlier Protagonist. Even Pretty-boys can be manly.
  •  More Females who can duel. (Alexis, Aki, Anna, and Rio are great examples)
  • What's a Yu-Gi-Oh series without eventually going supernatural at some point?
  • Action Duels might be pushing it a bit like Riding/Turbo Duels if its how I picture it. Giving it a shot.
  • Let's not be overly Pendulum Summon Heavy, with a mechanic like that, we probably won't, but js Zexal was all Xyz(with like 1 Fusion and 1 Ritual).

Regardless, like all Yu-Gi-Oh series, I'll see it through to the end.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would the Pendulum Mechanic work?

Easy. Episode 1's duel will probably go around these lines:

Yuya Normal Summons (explain Normal Summon mechanic here)

Yuya plays Chronomancy Pendulum saying it'll come in handy later, and taking advantage that the Normal Summon is a Pendulum (probably that Odd-Eyes we still don't see), that monster will be given the "Mirage Dragon" effect (explain how battles work here)

Yuya plays a face-down card and ends.

Opponent kills Yuya's monster (explain how Pendulums go to the Extra Deck and other monsters go to the Graveyard here)

Yuya activates set card (explain how this works too here) and does something.

Opponent Sets face-down Quick-play Spell and ends

Yuya plays Astromancy, completes the arc and Pendulum Summons a monster from his hand and the monster that was sent to his Extra Deck.

Pendulum Monster attacks and Yuya explains that both magicians prevent his opponent from activating Spells and Traps during the Battle Phase.

Yuya's Pendulum Summon gets to be a high-Level monster with great attack, so the combo is enough to finish the Duel.

Simple enough for a pilot episode duel.

As for how the mechanic itself works.

Your opponent would get to MST your Pendulums or get rid of them by various ways, and they'd go to the Extra Deck, and you should have (when more are released) a good 3 or so in a few turns piled up, so you can essentially have a deck that will easily find a replacement to complete your Pendulum Scales again and bring 3 to 4 monsters from the Extra Deck with ease, and keep doing it consistently every turn. They also get restock in your Extra Deck (from what I'm seeing) if used for Synchro Summons or Tribute Summons, so it's not gonna be hard at all to spam with time.

Both Magicians get to Pendulum Summon a copy of each from your Extra Deck eventually, along with a Plaguespreader from your hand and maybe a Mezuki, and voila, around 3 Synchros (Levels 5, 6, 7) can be made with little trouble.

This is with how stuff currently is. I wonder how it'll get once we enter into this gen full force. Please game don't screw up. This mechanic is pretty dangerous for powercreep. Even more so than Xyzs or Synchros ever were. Especially because we have Xyzs and Synchros in the game actually.....

I don't think Konami will disallow Extra Decks in exchange for this. It'll get a while before people drop the previous popular mechanics so if they end up contrasting, instead of starting with little usage, Pendulums wouldn't be tried at all.

I'm iffy on the 5D's writers. On one hand, the Fortune Cup and Dark Signers arcs were pretty good. On the other hand, the rest of the show was garbage.

Go away.

Just....get lost.

The Dark Signer arc was like the WORST piece of TRASH arc ever. And you don't even....I quit. I am done.

Okay maybe I exaggerated that a bit. But it's not the "good" arc of the series.

Go away.

Just....get lost.

The Dark Signer arc was like the WORST piece of TRASH arc ever. And you don't even....I quit. I am done.

... Yes it is.

It has character development and consistency, a coherent plot, and every duel is well written, iirc.

... Yes it is.

It has character development and consistency, a coherent plot, and every duel is well written, iirc.

Maybe I just hated the characters in the arc....I don't know. But it is literally the arc I do not like and it is the only one in the entire series I don't like. Well maybe I should try it again as it has been a long time....

I know it was consistent, but the Earthbound thing and the overall tone seemed meh. 

Or maybe it's my tendency to lean more towards Machine-based arcs. 

My favorite part of 5d's was actually the fortune cup and the events leading up to it. I really liked the whole dystopian thing the show had going at that point (and i really liked Yusei's character as a rags-to-riches sort of hero before it became apparent that he was jesus).

5d's writers make me exited for this, or maybe its just the bad taste i've had in my mouth since Zexal came out. That show always just rubbed me the wrong way....

... Yes it is.

Basically this ^

The Dark Signer Ark was the best complete arc because it actually flowed well into itself and had actual development throughout it.

The rest of the series after it was a miss match of good ideas, badly impliment ones, and just garbage ones. And it really showed. Basically everything went downhill after crow

OT: Just to prove I'm not crazy

Does anyone else notice a look connection between Yuya's Pendulum Monsters and Yusei and Jack...?

Go away.

Just....get lost.

____

Really? The only majorly stupid thing the Dark Signers arc did was make Crow a Signer.

The rest of the show after that throws out interesting stories like the Duel Spirit world and Psychic duelists and expects us to believe that a trio of goofy-looking robot men are a legitimate threat by making the main cast as dumb as possible.

____

Really? The only majorly stupid thing the Dark Signers arc did was make Crow a Signer.

The rest of the show after that throws out interesting stories like the Duel Spirit world and Psychic duelists and expects us to believe that a trio of goofy-looking robot men are a legitimate threat by making the main cast as dumb as possible.

Thing is, Crow wasn't originally supposed to be a Signer. I read he was actually supposed to be the final Dark Signer. Hence why the last Earthbound Immortal was condor. Why did they change it? Blackwings. They were becoming popular, and wanted to milk it. Crow was actually originally meant to be a villian who wanted to steal Yusei's D-Wheel. Had Crow remained a Dark Signer like planned..... Just a few possibilities.....

Aki wouldn't have been demoted to extra

Life Stream Dragon wouldn't suck

Rua would have become a Signer A LOT sooner

Possible BRD upgrade

Ghost Rare Infernity Death Dragon

Less to no Blackwing bullcrap

5ds never made sense to me.

the motorcycles not crashing

and field spells not being able to be destroyed.

but i bet this show will have just about the same amount of PLOT DEVICE card zexal had

-looks at number CI 1000

It was literally stated clear as day that they used automatic pilot to duel.

A feature that was turned off during the duels with the Dark Signers. You could see Crow struggling with operating the D-Wheel while keeping up with Boomer through different elevations and road ends. Yusei DID crash against the flames made by Ccapac Apu's mark. I even remember him screaming in pain until he got back on track. They also turned it off during the WRGP to escape the spirit monsters some teams had. Like team Catastrophe's hook monster that made people crash and lose without a duel, otherwise Crow's d-wheel wouldn't jump out of the way.

I'm also among the people that didn't really like the Dark Signer arc that much. I liked it up until the point where Kiryu dueled Yusei for the first time (and I mean, that one was still in the good part).

After that...

Carly dies and is immediately discovered and enlisted with the rest as if they all knew before hand. I mean, how would they? is not like the Crimson Dragon's signers had any means of really finding each other out. Even with the huge Earthbounds being visible, the city is not THAT small and at least half of them were in Satelite.

Yusei's second duel with Kiryu felt a little bit anti-climatic to me, and I have never been able to put my finger in why.

All dark signers were shown throught the arc to be working from the shadows, pretty much on their own (just like the signers weren't exactly a secret society either). Everyone with their personal grudges and goals, but when the main cast got assembled in Satelite, the dark signers were all suddenly together and like "hey sup~ you all there, let's just all duel here and now. No there's not really much more of a clever plan here, let's just go all out and start the duels".

Crow remained alive,

Boomer became sort of a dark signer in his stead,

Yusei changed his BIRTHmark,

Rua didn't get his signer dragon that we all saw coming anyways,

Ruka didn't duel, just had a turn using Rua's hand which didn't really had that many options left anyways, 

Ruka and Rua's opponent had zero backstory to him, we instead got some spirit world adventures that no other signer can really do,

Rudger dueled and lost before the other pilars were taken down despite the dark signers clearly saying everyone on the 4 ends had to lose so that they'd get to him

Rudger's will as the head of the signers could have been played with more for the story,

I'm sure neither Divine or Godwin were meant to die yet, they just decided to rush in Divine's demise because the audience thought he was too much of a dick, and who knows what the writers actually wanted Godwin to do,

At the end of the adventure we'll revive everyone because shut up, except Godwin and Rudger because they were oh so different, especially Rudger who was once the damn head of the Crimson Dragon.

Ever since this arc, the amount of "Sugoi Yusei!" expressions from Aki started increasing. She never got as bad as Kotori, even in her worst, but she was still pretty damn annoying to look at.

After that arc though, the series got down in quality a lot. It still had it's good moments (I loved the duels with Team Ragnarok, Antinomy's death, and the final Jack vs Yusei one), but it was just that.... moments.

It still had it's good moments I loved  Antinomy's death

Gee thanks you liked it when I died. 

But I agree with most of what you said except the series going downhill. I liked it after this a lot more than before. Could just be me. 
Also I felt like the Goodwin VS all three duel was somewhat stupid yet good.

Gee thanks you liked it when I died. 

But I agree with most of what you said except the series going downhill. I liked it after this a lot more than before. Could just be me. 
Also I felt like the Goodwin VS all three duel was somewhat stupid yet good.

He's one of my favorite characters from 5Ds xD

Though you can't deny it was pretty stupid that someone able to look at Yusei in the eye and say "you and the savior dragons suck, you are weak, go train more" would actually crash and lose his memory because a cat was in the way.
I mean, even Jack back in the Fortune Cup arc could easily jump it and keep going. 

Also, after the dark signers we got pretty much all episode that the third opening song covered to be filler. Entering into the fourth opening, we got Rotten's cowboy-like story which lasted about a month and a half. Then Team Unicorn's Andore was good (the rest sucked and so did Catastrophe).

Team New World was Lusiano's and Plasido's last duel in the series, and they used it to pretty much lose on purpose for the sake of Jose's monster. They could have very well achieved the same results without having to lose on purpose. And here I was getting exited because of the Machine Emperor pattern (by this I mean that they all start as a bunch of Level 1 pieces, and individually get replaced with Level 3 and Level 5 upgrades, so their max power would be some massive baddass giant robot made up of 5 Level 12 upgrades or something). Aporia's impact is a matter of tastes, I did not like his debut that much personally, but I can't really blame this part as "bad" just out of my taste.
Also, I'm probably biased on that one because I wanted Lusiano and Placido to have something even better than Team Ragnarok's duels.

Then what was Cheery's purpose at the end other than getting in the way of the main cast? and where is Paradox?

I can think of reasons why he wasn't there. Just not "in universe" reasons....

All in all, by the end of 5Ds I actually looked up to ZeXal to take that taste off, which I liked ZeXal's first 25 or so episodes and the new tone, but ZeXal to me is still overall much worse than 5Ds when I look back at the whole picture. Now I find myself waiting for Arc V to get ZeXal's taste off my mouth (which ZeXal also had it's moment but the bad really was bad...)

I really really really really hope this is not a recurring pattern in the franchise. 

Easy. Episode 1's duel will probably go around these lines:

Yuya Normal Summons (explain Normal Summon mechanic here)

Yuya plays Chronomancy Pendulum saying it'll come in handy later, and taking advantage that the Normal Summon is a Pendulum (probably that Odd-Eyes we still don't see), that monster will be given the "Mirage Dragon" effect (explain how battles work here)

Yuya plays a face-down card and ends.

Opponent kills Yuya's monster (explain how Pendulums go to the Extra Deck and other monsters go to the Graveyard here)

Yuya activates set card (explain how this works too here) and does something.

Opponent Sets face-down Quick-play Spell and ends

Yuya plays Astromancy, completes the arc and Pendulum Summons a monster from his hand and the monster that was sent to his Extra Deck.

Pendulum Monster attacks and Yuya explains that both magicians prevent his opponent from activating Spells and Traps during the Battle Phase.

Yuya's Pendulum Summon gets to be a high-Level monster with great attack, so the combo is enough to finish the Duel.

Simple enough for a pilot episode duel.

As for how the mechanic itself works.

Your opponent would get to MST your Pendulums or get rid of them by various ways, and they'd go to the Extra Deck, and you should have (when more are released) a good 3 or so in a few turns piled up, so you can essentially have a deck that will easily find a replacement to complete your Pendulum Scales again and bring 3 to 4 monsters from the Extra Deck with ease, and keep doing it consistently every turn. They also get restock in your Extra Deck (from what I'm seeing) if used for Synchro Summons or Tribute Summons, so it's not gonna be hard at all to spam with time.

Both Magicians get to Pendulum Summon a copy of each from your Extra Deck eventually, along with a Plaguespreader from your hand and maybe a Mezuki, and voila, around 3 Synchros (Levels 5, 6, 7) can be made with little trouble.

This is with how stuff currently is. I wonder how it'll get once we enter into this gen full force. Please game don't screw up. This mechanic is pretty dangerous for powercreep. Even more so than Xyzs or Synchros ever were. Especially because we have Xyzs and Synchros in the game actually.....

I don't think Konami will disallow Extra Decks in exchange for this. It'll get a while before people drop the previous popular mechanics so if they end up contrasting, instead of starting with little usage, Pendulums wouldn't be tried at all.

Thanks for explaining how it works. Will it be used? Only time will tell.

I'll post this one thing I wanted to include in my previous posts about 5Ds

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that noticed this:

4778702525_d6581ea144_z.jpg

It could be one of the few things 4kids forgot about....

Lotus was better than Barbara.

Well, pendulum only would be bland as all hell, so they would push the other mechanic hopefully.

5D's did alot of other things besides every single character using Synchros. Some characters just used higher level monsters, or new and interesting Archetypes (Earthbounds, Fusions, LVs, ect). So you'd think "Oh Pendulum Summon every episode? No way" but then there's the Zexal mentallity "If its flashy enough no one would notice!"

I also agree with Sleepy a bit, its all fun and games til Scales of 9 are revealed. RDAs/Nova and 62's everywhere.

I'm sure neither Divine or Godwin were meant to die yet, they just decided to rush in Divine's demise because the audience thought he was too much of a dick

Which is dumb because Divine is my absolute favorite Yu-Gi-Oh! villain.

The fact that they made Crow a Signer out of nowhere even though they spent so much time foreshadowing Rua eventually becoming one made me really dislike Crow.

Personally, I think Divine made Aki interesting in some way.

I don't mean that the "Divine thinks for me but I seem to be unhappy" is the best female role out there, but he created all these problems for her, worsening her condition while pretending to be good.

Also, I think the way they killed him was too cheap.

The Carly duel I would have been really ok with because of the impact of "Holy....! The Dark Signers are actually very powerful", and that'd strengthen more when the time for Goodwin came since it's understood they are sort of rivals and can be seen sort of equally.

Though when he did come back, he was a lone person doing the dirty job, no more dangerous than any one-shot villain. Many are satisfied by the nature of the death (getting eaten alive) but it still bothers me. Yes he did that inhuman thing to Misty's brother so people say it's satisfying retribution, but we were talking bigger plans here. There were revolution plans going on. The person planning all these things wouldn't just expose himself, and it'd be dumb if all he had was in that single building.

IDK.... Maybe it's also partly that in the Yugioh universe, a big bad going down without a duel feels wrong.

Whenever I tell someone that Divine should have been around, people just answer along the lines of "but he was lame". Then when I try to explain how Aki started her role of cheerleader when he went away, they don't seem to be able to link any of this.

I'm not saying I liked Divine as a person, but he had the potential of a season finale enemy.

Archived