[Finished][Sakura Contest Series 2] Synchro Contest (Judging/Not Accepting)

If a contestant would like clarification, they are free to ask. Yeah, I should elaborate on marks I give on the spot, instead of prompting you to ask for one. I'm only giving numerical grades and not really specific stuff because I judge all of these things concurrently with academia matters. Also, it was around 2-3 am in the morning, so not in my right state of mind while doing so.

@Akiyuri: I thought I saw something wrong with the wording or something; can't find it now so I'll give you back a half point because of my error (see above). With that said, you have 38.5 from my end. Scary probably saw what was off.

I see. Guess I will just ask him.

@TFM you should know first that Gorgonic Guardian is broken and pretty bad designed, but balanced by Xyz Requirement, though you make something that can recycle it again ignoring its requirement that balance it, so yea you already broke them, the OPT eff as permanent is way too much, and for guardian recycling eff, if you intend to play this in Reptiliane, you shouldn't make it come back with Material so that it can use it broken eff and ss another copy of this card again

@Amoonguss here's your error
1 Tuner monster + 1 or more non-Tuner FIRE monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned successfully: Inflict 1000 point of damage to both players. Once per turn, during your opponent's Battle Phase: You can discard 1 Pyro-Type monster; declare an attack from this Attack Position card to your opponent's monster

for the last part, if you want to argue that "have this" clause is corrected, it's no use since you use capitalized H and this will cause -0.5 equal to the entire sentence
and using "may" instead of "can"!? How long you stayed in the closet?

I would like to know what is my ocg error (to improve), and also comment / feedback on my card. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bailas Gale(Tinyu):

The main problem I have for this card is the fact that it leads to potential unhealthy loops as its effect is mandatory, thus it can't miss timing. 2700 ATK generic rank 7 that floats when its sent to the graveyard in any way is already powerful, but its versatility to be able to be broken into its materials at any time will lead to unhealthy plays sooner or later. Also, this card also has a powerful interaction with Formula Synchron, which allows it to replace itself with another copy, Black Rose, Moon Rose, or Ancient Fairy Dragon whenever its sent to the graveyard from the field. The concept itself is nice, but in practice, there's too much potential for this card to be broken 

Also, some minor capitalization error, and you forget to make it an Effect monster.

Overall, I'll give it 7/10. Nice and quite interesting concept, but held back by its potential of abuse.

TFMegamanlan(Gorgonic Medusa):

This being a spiritual successor to Reptillianes is interesting, and I must say, the alternate summoning condition is creative (though you forget to detail about from where you send the 0 ATK monster to the graveyard from). The effect is standard ATK to 0 and negate effect deal which makes this a nice option for a level 6 generic synchro. But, the fact that it also floats any Xyz on death made me think the card does too much for a generic Level 6, and lorewise, I don't think it makes much sense to have it be able to revive anything.

I'll give it a 8/10. A card that supports its intended deck well, but might try too do too much thing at once for an easily accessed Synchro.

Agro(Baratone Beetle):

This reminds me of Infernity Beetle..

That aside, this will be mainly used in frogs, as the deck can use a treeborn + veiler to summon it, and it can tutor Swap Frog/Ronintoadin directly from the deck, and replaces itself with Swap Frog on death(though it's somewhat delayed). Though, I don't think it will be used in other decks well, as the fact that it requires 2 level 1s to summon while the effect is strictly relevant to level 2s makes this card awkward (though there's a possibility that Obedience Schooled beasts can run this). But it's definitely designed well, there are several preemptive countermeasures to prevent this card from being abusable (last effect won't work if this card is detached, negating the summoned monster's effect to prevent instant set-up with Swap Frog, not being a tuner, delayed search effect).

I'll dare to give it a 9.5/10. It's well designed, have good interaction with existing cards, and promotes interesting plays for decks that uses this card.

Zai-Guard (Crimson Shine Phoenix):

Hard summoning condition aside (maybe it's doable in Incas?), the concept of this card is quite broken. You have a 2900 self-reviving monster that destroys as a cost to summon it. And it's not a flat 'destroy 3' too, so you can pretty much just destroy a problem monster for free. The fact that it destroys as a cost means that if somehow the summon is foiled, you can destroy again for another attempt (and your opponent didn't even get life points!). Lack of once-per turn clause means that your opponent is screwed no matter what, and the life point they gained ultimately won't matter at all as you just put your opponent between a rock and a hard place.

6/10. The idea is there, but lack of restrictions aside from the initial summoning condition made me rate it this much. Would even be lower if only its not complicated to summon.

Blue Amoongus (Blaze, the Relentless):

Well, this is weird...

The only reason to summon this over cards like AFD, Moon Rose/Black Rose is mainly due to this card's 2700 ATK, but that's somewhat irrelevant since it can't direct attack, making its big ATK ultimately meaningless compared to the other options (AFD can tank hits from Crimson Blader, which is really relevant, BRD nukes the field to answer problematic set-ups, and Moon Rose bounces problem cards without battling). And the attack during your opponent's turn effect is weak for something that was costed as a -1. Your opponent can easily play around it, whether by summoning a field with 2700+ ATK, or just remove this card from the field before entering their Battle Phase.

5.5/10. Ineffective at what it does, and the fact that its not a generic hurts its cause even more.

-Aqua- (Ascalon, Wyvern of the Ice Barrier):

Uh, so it's an Infernity Barrier on legs with a laughable activation condition (..seriously? This card fulfills its own condition, bar BoM shenanigans). Not to mention Prior or Deepsea Diva can easily summon this. The fact that it also floats either Gungnir/Dewloren on death is rubbing the salt to the wound.

Yes, Ice Barriers are a weak deck. But no matter how weak a deck is, please do not make a ridiculous support for it to 'get it to the same level as the metagame', as it will hurt future card design, and is overall a bad mindset to have as a cardmaker.

5.5/10. Badly designed card that will only shift the deck's focus into "Turbo into Ascalon or die".

OpticalGalaxyStar(Aegidius):

Well..this is pretty much a big beatstick, and yet another Warrior OTK enabler. Not much to say on this one, as the card is really simple, does its supposed job as intended, and...yeah, I have nothing else to say.

7/10 Its effective at what it does, but it lacked creativity, and cards that promotes OTKs are not really nice.

Teddie (Recycled Robot):

Well yeah.

The only Machine type that can summon this is Karakuri (they even still have to went through hoops to summon it), and they have a far better option to summon, machine-wise. Basically, a non-generic vanilla beatstick that needs to minus you a lot to be able to stand up to common threats that needs 3 materials to boot is never worth the effort, though admittedly the revival effect is nice (but is still easily bypassed for the effort you needed to bring this out).

6/10. Too hard to summon for something that really not worth the investment (seriously, Bureido is miles better for a Machine option), but at least, the permanent recurrence effect while killed by battle gives it a small niche.

Duck Riddler (Chiron)

A generic level 8..

So it seems like its designed for either Spellbooks/Spell Counters or Fire Fist, but it is awkward in both. It's not a Spellcaster to be supported by the Spellbooks, and it's not a FIRE to be summonable by Boar.

Let's talk about its application as a generic Synchro then. Prevents your MST from getting screwed over by a surprise chainable S/Ts, prevents Lance from being activated in response to your own lance, and protects Tenki and Field Spells that has an on-activation effect from MSTs. The usefulness of this card is there, but this will compete with other level 8 options in the Extra Deck. Also, the recycle Spell effect is quite nice, especially with Dark Hole being the only power spell that's not banned.

8/10 from me. Awkward in decks that theorized to work well with it, but is definitely not a bad level 8 option, though competition from other viable options hurts this card somewhat.

Bujintei Stereowo (AG Revived Golem)

Run into the same problem as the zombie retrain of summoned skull. The viable zombies aside from Plaguespreader are all level 4 or higher, meaning this card'll be hard to summon, and for only a card that has the classic Ancient Gear clause to it and gives piercing effect to all zombies, it's not worth it. From all the hardship to summon this card, you'll realize you can just summon Beelze as a more powerful option.

Not worth gimping your plays AND your deck composition. I'll give it a 6/10.

Hikari-Chan (Constellaton Prophecy)

Oh boy.

This card is the epitome of crazy combos. In Satellaknights, you can Synch this using veiler + something, then this card summons a Satellaknight from your graveyard, which kickstart your swarm combo and extends it further and further. In Constellars this card is less useful, as Polux/Sombre already took care of the extra NS part, and this card can't make a Pleiades with a Kaus. In the end, this definitely needs some clause to prevent it from extending your combos way too much.

7/10. Is not broken per say, but its (definitely intentional) interaction with existing cards is really powerful.

Chiagirl (Frost Maiden)

Hoo boy.

A standard Diva-Megalo play can result to this without too much effort. If you sneak in Abyssocea somewhere there, you'll ending up with a card that banishes 3 on summon without targetting (Spellbook of Fate seems weak compared to this), and you'll draw 3 cards to because why not.

Alternatively, Fishborg Archer + Moulin-wait a minute.

..this card is a completely generic level 11 monster.

You know what, screw those combos. Hieratic Rulers can now draw up to 4 cards per turn for no reason at all, and all decks that can summon Star Eater will summon this instead.

Just...whoa.

5/10. This card is a design trainwreck. A Trishula that's easier to summon with a bigger body while having an unrestricted draw effect that triggers from its own banishing effect AND can stack with other copies is not something that should be ever printed.

Afunworm (Breathing Inferno Star Master)

Well, so this card is intended to be used with Level Eater, or something similar. Am I right? Though, using more than 2 materials for this makes things somewhat confusing due to the wording. As a generic level 9, this is a nice beatstick that's better than the current 2 level 9 generic synchros since it can do things like interrupting Xyzs, gives more option for your synchro efforts, and other functions. This card is quite simple, but in its simplicity it's good at what it does.

8.5/10.  Not powerful, not underwhelming, but gets the job done. Simple, yet the effect is really versatile.

Josholche (Golden Owl of Luck)

This card's graveyard effect is incompatible with Necrovalley, and Gravekeepers can't afford to summon this when they have better things to do (and this is not in any way supported by the deck). Not to mention, the last clause means that a player can only pick one  either to summon this card from the graveyard by its effect, or search a field spell. Also, why would you search another field spell if you can get Necrovalley to be on the field already (barring if you didn't use this card in gravekeepers, which means you can replace Necrovalley with your own field but you'll lose the revival effect).

In other decks that's not Gravekeepers, I don't think it'll see much play thanks to level 7 being really awkward for a tuner (not including Level Eater shenanigans, which seems like the only thing that this card is good for), and weak stats.

6/10. Each effects contradicts themselves, while other issues has been said above.

Dyson Sphere (Holy Strike Fighter)

...too many level 7 synchros..

...too many floaters..

That's not an issue anyway.

Anyway, this is the most accessible form of the best removal in the game, bar a few (this even almost outclasses No 101). Main reason since it tributes. As a cost. Removals being turned as a cost means a lot of things, but mainly, that means this card bypassed almost every protection in the game, while the LP gain effect makes 'When..you can' effects miss their timing (and not to mention that it also bypasses EFFECT NEGATION). The fact that this card revives itself on death seems to be an afternote compared to this card's seemingly simple first effect. I'm not saying this card is broken (though I'm leaning towards the opinion that it is), but using beneficial effects as a cost needs to be used sparingly, and you must not add that willy-nilly without thinking much about what could it entails.

7/10. Good DSF remake, not so balanced removal effect, and the revival effect is really unneeded.

Akiyuri (Cyber Dragon Omega)

Unsummonable without a huge dedication deckwise, and is still iffy on whether it's usable or not.

Cybers only have 1 playable level 1 monster, which is valley, which will be gone before you can tune it using what? Veiler?

And this hasn't even touched upon the subject that you need to summon Cyber End Dragon first somehow.

The effect gaining is nice, but with the gargantuan effort needed to summon this card, you better of have this card be a carbon copy of Shoting Quasar Dragon.

5.5/10. If only its easier to summon, then you can do a whole lot of play by copying Nova (or just OTK your opponent already by copying Twin Dragon).

Well, that's finally concluded. This is really tiring...

*collapses*

(Anyway, was originally tried to use grading system per category, but too tired to do a separate grading, so I just wrote the final score instead of splitting it into parts).

I would like to know what is my ocg error (to improve), and also comment / feedback on my card. Thanks in advance.

here it is

1 Tuner Synchro Monster + "Cyber End Dragon"
Once per turn: You can target 1 "Cyber Dragon" monster or 1 monster that lists "Cyber Dragon" as a Fusion or Xyz Material Monster in your hand, field, Deck, Graveyard or Extra Deck; this card gains its effects, ATK and DEF until the End Phase.

as far as I know, there are no Xyz monster that list "Cyber Dragon" as an oru (Nova only require Machine-Type). though your errors are minor, so you take only -1 despite that you have 3 errors

and for balance, its effect is very strong, 6.8k double attacker or 8k piercing, w/o another boost like LR that you can still use it, hard summoning condition may balanced it, but you shouldn't make something strong because it's hard to summon, or else stuffs like C1000 and CI1000 are balanced in your point of view because they have hard summoning conditions, am I right? if you want to know how to balance it but keep it playstyle, I suggest that you should have something like half damage for a turn clause, then it's acceptable and deserved 10 points of balance.

and I just see new reply message, so will edit this if someone ask about score, or if it's a score from our last judge, then i may sum all scores since now I'm free and boring.

Edit: Final Results!!

BallasGale: 33+20.5+7 = 60.5

TFMegamanlan: 34+22.5+8 = 64.5

Agro: 38+27.5+9.5 = 75 [2nd place]

Zai-Guard: 35.5+25+6 = 66.5

Blue Amoonguss: 35+23.5+5.5 = 64

-Aqua-: 38.5+28.5+5.5 = 72.5 [3rd place]

OpticalGalaxyStar: 35+23+7 = 65

Teddie: 31.5+20+6 = 57.5

The Duck Riddler: 36+25.5+8 = 69.5

Bujintei Stereowo: 39+27.5+6 = 72.5 [3rd place]

Hikari-chan: 39.5+29.5+7 = 76 [1st place]

chiagirl: 34+20.5+5 = 59.5

afunworm: 35.5+26+8.5 = 70

josholche: 38+26.5+6 = 70.5

Dyson Sphere: 35.5+27+7 = 69.5

Akiyuri: 38+28+5.5 = 71.5

so there's 2 third place, don't sure if they have to join 1on1 or Sakura can pay the points to both. oh there's no points prize XD

And now I have the job of having to tally up all of our scores and award the rep prizes accordingly.

Note that Ain has her grades scaled up to 30 to match Scary's (mine is still done under the 40, to total 100)

BailasGale = 33 + 20.5 + 21 = 74.5

TFMegamanlan = 34 + 22.5 + 24 = 80.5

Agro = 38 + 27.5 + 28.5 = 94

Zai-Guard = 35.5 + 25 + 18 = 78.5

Amoonguss = 35 + 23.5 + 16.5 = 75

- Aqua - = 38.5 + 28.5 + 16.5 = 83.5

OpticalGalaxyStar = 35 + 23 + 21 = 79

Teddie = 31.5 + 20 + 18 = 69.5

Seija = 36 + 25.5 + 24 = 85.5

Bujintei Stereowo = 39 + 27.5 + 18 = 84.5

Hikari-chan = 39.5 + 29.5 + 21 = 90

chiagirl = 34 + 20.5 + 15 = 69.5

afunworm = 35.5 + 26 + 25.5 = 87

josholche = 38 + 26.5 + 18 = 82.5

Dyson Sphere = 35.5 + 27 + 21 = 83.5

Akiyuri = 38.5 + 28 + 16.5 = 83

1st is Agro - 94

2nd is Hikari - 90

3rd is afunworm - 87

Uh, but Sakura,I don't think that the grading should be done like that (as it diminishes the power of my points) as my grading system is different from you two.

I think it's better if your and Scary's scores is scaled into x/10, and then find the average. This makes each judges to have the same amount of influence to the score.

ahhh, that 0.5. Anyway, congratulation to the winners. And thanks, I just realized Cyber Dragon Nova does not need Cyber dragon as its xyz material. Also, I will change the summoning condition as Marisa pointed out, it is super hard to summon it.

Taking Ain's suggestion so her scores hold more weight, I scaled hers up to 30 points to match Scary's.

New grades are on that post; as such prizes/awards will be recalibrated. It was a lot of effort grading but well worth it.

EDIT: New awards are up with their adjusted totals.

29w1ez8.jpg

10s6pmw.jpg

148lx92.jpg

Anyway enjoy your prizes, guys (let me know if I forgot to give reps, since I gave the other reps before noticing Ain's post)

With that said, this is gonna be locked now.

Any questions, PM me.

Thanks

Archived