Number 73: Abyss Splash

Number73AbyssSplash-DP15-JP-UR.png

Level 5 WATER monsters
Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; double this card's ATK until your opponent'sEnd Phase. Any battle damage your opponent takes for the rest of this turn from attacks involving this card is halved.

So, 2 level 5 Waters, Hard(er) to summon. Hopefully Geyser Shark will alleviate some of that, and make it viable. C73 is on the horizon guys!

They nerfed him really badly.

Once per turn?  That's fine by itself.

2 Level 5 WATER monsters?  That's fine by itself.

Halved Battle Damage? That's fine by itself.

But when you pile ALL THREE restrictions on the card, it turns to trash. 

No, Abyss Splash is an example of what happens when you go overboard in "balancing" a card.

It doesn't specify that it doubles its original ATK, so you could technically throw on buffs to raise its ATK to stupid levels before activating its effect for a bunch of damage despite said damage being halved. But if you run anything of the sort that lets you do that, then your Deck is, by default, worse than Arcana Forces and Jaden Highlander.dek.

While Adreus and co. are better for being more efficient at their removal jobs, this gets to blow stuff up while still inflicting damage, but this point is moot when Volca already does that. On the bright side, this working on either player's turn means your opponent can't really run over it in battle, unless it's like FGD or something. Oh, and then #94 has an effect that can virtually do the same thing as this anyway.

Oh, and then the one who has Shrink as an effect can virtually do the same thing as this anyway.

See, that's the thing; Number 94: Crystal Zero is actually better than him, because while this has to actually battle for its effect to be useful, Crystal Zero can turn the monster into a weenie, and then digi-volve into a stronger version of herself, and then run over the weakened monster for massive damage.

I still wanna kill someone for giving me this and Zero as my two Numbers in the....yeah I've said it enough now. 

This card sucks balls, the end.

And its C form (I think) doesn't even need this. So this is literally the worst Number that ever was. I literally can't think of one that is worse than it. Not even Ci1000 *shot*

Except Excalibur isn't crappy, but I guess my definition of "crappy" may be different.

It was kinda sarcasm and most of the time we have better Rank 4's to get.

Blade Armor over Excal in most situations, IMO.

And that's not including 101 just taking what Excal tries to fight. Attack boosts are so 2005.

The best way to make Abyss Splash playable is to give us the ability to spam Level 5 WATER monsters like nothing, and even then, you'd pick some other Rank 5s to drop unless they restrict the Xyz spam to WATER Xyz.

It was kinda sarcasm and most of the time we have better Rank 4's to get.

Blade Armor over Excal in most situations, IMO.

And that's not including 101 just taking what Excal tries to fight. Attack boosts are so 2005.

Fair point.

We at Konami understand that confusion is the most important part of any competitive card game, as we've shown by implementation of the new pendulum summon.

Therefore, we have given this card a name that makes it sound similar to mermail cards. By doing this, Mermail players will put this card into their extra decks even without an adequate way to summon it, thereby helping to balance Mermail decks further.

The best way to make Abyss Splash playable is to give us the ability to spam Level 5 WATER monsters like nothing, and even then, you'd pick some other Rank 5s to drop unless they restrict the Xyz spam to WATER Xyz.

I think this card got .1% cooler/usable with the PRIO support.

But yes we have better Rank 5's.

And its C form (I think) doesn't even need this. So this is literally the worst Number that ever was. I literally can't think of one that is worse than it. Not even Ci1000 *shot*

Numbers 65 and 43, for being borderline unsummonable and then offering nothing once you do.

Still, Abyss Splash got overnerfed. I think we feared this would happen given how nuts its was in the anime (here's your 9600 beater for 2 LV5s), but it stil hurts.

I still wanna kill someone for giving me this and Zero as my two Numbers in the....yeah I've said it enough now. 

This card sucks balls, the end.

Number56GoldRat-ZTIN-EN-SR-1E.png

It's so stupefyingly useless.

Number56GoldRat-ZTIN-EN-SR-1E.png

It's so stupefyingly useless.

That point was already made. I think that they tie now upon further inspection. It really should be a 2 level 1 thing but those were uncommon as some of the first Rank 1's and even the first Numbers (this one was relatively one of the first). Compare a crappy early Xyz effect to one of the newer crappy Xyz effect. Typically you start mediocre and improve but this is just outclassed on so many levels. Not that Gold Rat isn't awful.

There's No10 competing for worst number too. Atleast this does have an actual use, as WATER decks can be quite racist when it comes to summoning other attribute Xyzs.

Illuminight? He wasn't that awful (he was still bad) for his time; like I said the first Xyz and Numbers weren't exactly the best. Abyss Splash being the way he is is just bad. Meh I just like Illumi.

But yeah I suppose WATER decks need something like him.

Archived