The New Drawing Rule Discussion

I lost an argument over this topic recently, and I'd like to hear the opinions/counterarguments of the new rule change regarding going first or second.

I began my argument (I was trying to convince that the rule was a good thing) by saying that the second turn player doesn't have complete advantage because the first player should have traps to deal with whatever extra stuff that player 2 draws into, creating a more balanced state.  I was then challenged to think of hands/decks without traps, so I weighed in advantages of control and aggressive players and which turn they'd want.  Aggressive decks would always want to go second because if they go first they both A: can't make a meaningful play because it wont do damage and B: the opponent will get an extra card.  To makes things even worse, even if they go second, the player who went first can have the traps to stop them.  However, for the control player, its not awful either way.  Go first: set first.  Go second: get an extra card to stomp the other player with (and Cardcar) (also if you're Evilswarm then going first is clearly advantageous).  Before this ruling, its a 50-50 for all decks whether they get immediate advantage or not.  Now, its still 50-50 for an aggressive player while its somewhat easier for a control player who doesn't have to care which advantage he gets, because its always advantageous.

tl;dr - Control players may get free advantage from this rule that aggressive decks don't get.

I'd just really like to see a discussion on how this rule change affects different types of decks and if they do some more than others.

I don't like it. Sure it kills Exodia decks but going second just causes that play to go down the trashcan before it happens.

My biggest example being Hyper Librarian. But that's my only beef with it. Seems fine otherwise.

But seriously if the OCG is getting these really lame new mechanics TCG should get some crap too. Ugh

This makes going second is an actually viable choice. Going first still has A LOT of advantages even if you start with only 5 cards.

I do like the variety and thought required in the new rule change, but I'd really like to hear if this rule implies some sort of "favoritism" towards control decks or it one deck benefits too much.  At least before it was entirely random whether you are better off, but now it may be based on what deck you are playing, and that seems unbalanced.  

On another note, imagine if we had this rule the entire time and then Konami changed it so that whoever goes first has advantage.  Imagine how much everyone would rage.  XD

It is hard to get a fair balance. Currently, those that go first usually have an advantage, and can put large control over the field. Starting with 5 instead of 6 makes first turn ophions and concrete bujin setups (for example) a bit harder, which is fair to some extent. 

However with this change the 2nd player gets to attack first and gain card advantage, which really does cripple some aggro decks going first in fairness.

I think a fair balance would be that the 1st player still only starts with 5 cards, but that the 2nd player starting with 6 cannot attack on their first turn either, thus each players first turn would be setting up without attacks. If this rule does come to TCG, I think that could strike a fair balance anyway. 

How about both players draw 6 cards at the beggining of the match.. that way it allows player 2 to have an extra card chance to open with hand traps to stop turn 1 plays. of course, player 2 wouldn't draw on his/her first turn due to having 6 cards in hand from the start, but it'd make it more likely to draw into hand traps to try to stop turn 1 plays from the opponent.

This rule could also allow players to immediately put their opponent at a disadvantage should they win the dice roll or lose the match.

Basically, figure out what type of deck they use eg. Exodia, and give them an immediate disadavantage by letting them go first.

The current system lets you go first and immediately disadvantage the other guy 100% of the time

Archived