YCM: How Our Society Is Messed Up And How It Can Be Fixed

Nathanael D. Striker

This is what I could salvage from the thought process I had today before Vector Calculus. I kept this short on purpose in order to promote discussion. Please do not spam or just shrug this off; this is an issue that I feel needs to be discussed for the good of YCM as a whole. I understand that this is a complex issue, and that is why discussion is encouraged.

[spoiler=YCM: How Our Society Is Messed Up And How It Can Be Fixed]

YCM is more than just a website for those who inhabit it. We, as members of YCM, create a society in which we promote order and unity. Our society is also one that promotes an aspect of Darwinism into our daily actions- the concept of survival of the fittest. This concept can be seen by those who are perceived to be undesirable are ridiculed by the perceived elite. As this description implies, this concept is fueled on YCM by perception. The perceived elite are individuals that are held in high regard in our society; they are the ones that command respect no matter what they do. On the other side of the coin, the perceived undesirables are individuals that have repeatedly done things wrong at one point or another; they are the ones that are constantly ridiculed no matter what they do. Tying this back into the concept of survival of the fittest, the perceived elite grow stronger at the expense of the perceived undesirables; this process is ultimately a never ending cycle. This never ending cycle that our perceptions create is fueled by the absence of redemption- the ability to change the way one is perceived in this context. The perceived undesirables of our society have no way to be redeemed by the rest of our society; this situation is a social death sentence for the perceived undesirables. The absence of redemption creates a state of hopelessness for the perceived undesirable as all their actions are measured up against the wrongs they have committed in the past; often leading to the past taking precedent. The status quo that we as a society follow should no longer be valid. What we as a society need to do is promote a way for the perceived undesirables to redeem themselves and not hold their past against them. By doing this, we create a more stable society that promotes tolerance, creates a deeper sense of unity, and allows us all to be connected to each other as we should be. This requires all of us to work together for the common good. While that is easier said than done, it is something that we must do in order for our society to continue to prosper.

[/spoiler]

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hear me out real quick. I don't have time to make a long point, so I'll keep it short.

The undesirables that are meant to be here become the elite. While the elite should not squander the undesirables, the undesirables need to standup, change their ways, and be heard. They must not subject themselves to being affected by the elites. The best people shrug off those who oppose them, hold true to their ways, and rise up in their own way and then crush their opponents.

This discrimination you speak of is somewhat true and somewhat exaggerated though. 

Hey, it's Striker. It's to be expected.

Pretty sure this 'Darwinian' mindset of social prejudice against previous offenders and hailing of renowned members is more of an issue with human society overall, rather than just this place...

With that cool-sounding but probably pretentious as fuck sentence said and done with, I do wonder, from the way the post was made, I'm assuming there's previous cases where something like what the post described has happened. Can't really comment cuz you know, not really familiar with this place enough and all that, some context on why this is an issue here on YCM specifically would be nice.

To be fair, TC, YCM is more like a high school; Depends on who you hang with, and how you present yourself.

And this is where the problem lies. One wrong step and you are at a permanent disadvantage. However, this isn't like high school as there is no restart button after four years.

Welcome to society one-o-effing-one.

Stop complaining that no one respects you when you do nothing for respect to be had. I mean hell, I've f***ed up a number of times (though I maintain my innocence on one such matter that was spun as me f***ing up), yet I'm sure you're putting me in with the so-called elites. Now, if I am one of said elites, it's because I do things to actually be perceived as  such (Actually being better than almost all of YCM at Yugioh, knowing Card Design fairly well, R.P.820 in the past, etc.) or just manage to get known for things (Fableds, Hunders), and even then I'm probably among the less liked members. But I don't actually care that much. If you care so much about the society rejecting you, so to speak... just don't. It's that easy.

And please, do not mention the Leaderboard. Please. We get that that's your claim to fame, but with how you tout it it does the opposite.

People get to be known/"revered" when they put in an effort to do so.

Also lurk moar. lurk mooooooooooooooooar

and with that i am o u t of h e r e.

And this is where the problem lies. One wrong step and you are at a permanent disadvantage. However, this isn't like high school as there is no restart button after four years.

To be honest the people who give a crap about being judged and think they are put on a certain "level" or with a certain "crowd" are weak as hell and need to become stronger. 

It's not easy but at least try not to give a crap what people think (to an extent).

You literally could have summed it all up with:

• Some people continuously garner respect while others are ridiculed.
  • The ridiculed people have no way of redeeming themselves and we should find a way for them to be able to do so.
  • YCM is elitist af.

So how do you intend for them to redeem themselves? Do a trial of courage? Win in the Hunger Games?

You literally could have summed it all up with:

• Some people continuously garner respect while others are ridiculed.
  • The ridiculed people have no way of redeeming themselves and we should find a way for them to be able to do so.
  • YCM is elitist af.

So how do you intend for them to redeem themselves? Do a trial of courage? Win in the Hunger Games?

They should crush the elites with bad logic.

Nah, they should stick around and not give two effs what people think. I mean that's why I am still here.

=D

When you refer to those elite members, exactly who are you talking about, though? I mean, in terms of exactly who and not a binding quality.

Also, it should be very easy to tell people saying "just shut up" to piss off because there obviously is a problem when the solution used for Maxxion is "bully him more."

When you refer to those elite members, exactly who are you talking about, though? I mean, in terms of exactly who and not a binding quality.

Also, it should be very easy to tell people saying "just shut up" to piss off because there obviously is a problem when the solution used for Maxxion is "bully him more."

I can give you a list of the elitist. Granted I'll get caught in bloody hell for it *shot*

Well, I believe the "Elites" change for different people. 

Kindness does not work with this Maxxion you speak of.

So when the "right" way doesn't work bullying him is far more fun. =D
But bullying sort of sounds a bit more than it actually is

at least it seems that way to me

I think Aix captures it well. We are extremely elitist, and if you want respect you have to earn it. The alternative is to just not care. As terrible as it is, what you do wrong will always be remembered and what you do right will be forgotten by tomorrow, and while it would be nice if there was some way to gain forgiveness and acceptance that just simply isn't how things are done. If you really do want forgiveness, acceptance, respect, etc, that what you have to do is put effort into getting it. 

There is no doubt that we have a problem with completely tearing apart "noobs", but it is just how it has always been and it isn't going to change. Sad, but true. The best thing that we can do individually is just try to be more constructive and accepting, but that is easier said than done. I think we can all agree that there has been a time when we have been the bad guy in this situation. 

In short. There is a problem. There is no sure-fire solution. 

Well, from my perspective as a member of the less than 1000 posts cult, pretty much every one of you people in this thread is one.

As for actual elitists here, god knows.

I'm in the elite....HAAAAA~

Just reading it that way sent my sides into orbit.

I'd say their are categories of the elite.

Elite at children's card games

Elite at humor

Elite at Art

Elite at shenanigans

Elite at clubs and junk

Elite at being stupid

Elite at writing

Elite at being Night

Elite at video gamez

Elite at being dictator

Elite at otakuism

Elite at shipping pplz

I can give you a list of the elitist. Granted I'll get caught in bloody hell for it *shot*
Well, I believe the "Elites" change for different people.
Kindness does not work with this Maxxion you speak of.
So when the "right" way doesn't work bullying him is far more fun. =D

Then feel free to say them. I don't know why you care about what they would say, anyway. It isn't like you'll lose anything for posting your opinion.

And in terms of Maxxion, besides providing an example, the fact that you see this as a bifurcation is ridiculous. Hostility is never the best route, especially in somewhere purely social. Much more than that, it seems like everybody thinks that misunderstandings are impossible when that and different opinions are absolutely the cause of every conflict, people willing to be drowned by that ignorance proving nothing but folly.

Then feel free to say them. I don't know why you care about what they would say, anyway. It isn't like you'll lose anything for posting your opinion.

And in terms of Maxxion, besides providing an example, the fact that you see this as a bifurcation is ridiculous. Hostility is never the best route, especially in somewhere purely social. Much more than that, it seems like everybody thinks that misunderstandings are impossible when that and different opinions are absolutely the cause of every conflict, people willing to be drowned by that ignorance proving nothing but folly.

Typically we respond to hostility with hostility. Maxxion was hostile with us before we were hostile with him, to an extent.

I'd honestly just toss...I dunno.....well my bias is making this list make less sense and just seem more like "people I don't like to interact with."

So how do I get people to not think of me as an idiot?

Step 1

Stop being an idiot

Nah, just take advice with a grain of salt and don't take things too seriously.

That's what I started doing.

Then again I'm still thought of as an idiot, so

=P

And maybe educate yourself on a topic or the people discussing it before posting or asking about something.

Not necessarily all of this applies to you, I just thought some of it might help.

The problem being, the shorter the fuse, the harder to actually negotiate with the bullied person in question.

The more a person/member/vague internet identity is picked on, the more defensive they can get.

Welcome to society one-o-effing-one. Stop complaining that no one respects you when you do nothing for respect to be had. I mean hell, I've f***ed up a number of times (though I maintain my innocence on one such matter that was spun as me f***ing up), yet I'm sure you're putting me in with the so-called elites. Now, if I am one of said elites, it's because I do things to actually be perceived as  such (Actually being better than almost all of YCM at Yugioh, knowing Card Design fairly well, R.P.820 in the past, etc.) or just manage to get known for things (Fableds, Hunders), and even then I'm probably among the less liked members. But I don't actually care that much. If you care so much about the society rejecting you, so to speak... just don't. It's that easy. And please, do not mention the Leaderboard. Please. We get that that's your claim to fame, but with how you tout it it does the opposite.People get to be known/"revered" when they put in an effort to do so. Also lurk moar. lurk mooooooooooooooooarand with that i am o u t of h e r e.

I find it funny that you "attack" me and say I'm complaining for writing this. Like I said, this was a spontanious thought process about a serious issue on YCM. And while I appreciate your experiences pertaining to this, it isn't as easy as you claim it is. And I do agree that lurking helps, so thanks for bringing that up.

Not gonna lie Striker I was able to read only half before you started sounding like a villain with a just cause. XD

You all are looking in too hard at all this. This is just a meeting place for various hobbies and other activities, so naturally we will form into our own cliques. I'm sure nobody would give a damn if someone like Fuse posted in TCG because that's simply not the clique he hangs out in. I'm not saying that there isn't any elitism or anything, but this is just the sort of elitism that you'd expect from any group of people this diverse. Literally every single forum operates very similarly, so the fault doesn't lie with us, but rather with how humanity operates as a whole. Worst case scenario you end up with my kind of reputation, which is none xD. Anybody who seriously lets this get to them needs to calm dawn, drink some strawberry milk, and try to sooth their butthurt.

The problem being, the shorter the fuse, the harder to actually negotiate with the bullied person in question.

The more a person/member/vague internet identity is picked on, the more defensive they can get.

What happens if they're left alone or have somebody to vent to?

Regardless of the above question, it is still not exactly good to act aggressive with somebody as volatile as whoever we might be talking about. If you see somebody being picked on by others, it is not exactly a showing of the victim's personality if they're flustered compared to how much it shows about the people willing to team up on somebody who is obviously distressed.

Archived